PDA

View Full Version : [Exalted] Disco Panther??

Nanoblack
2012-10-08, 05:59 PM
So I got my first taste of Exalted last night with some friends. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of thinking I could be useful as a sorcerer with little to no knowledge of spells (or the game for that matter). That whole session turned out to be a disasterpiece where I feebly sat to the side while everyone else went to town in combat.

While I'm not entirely against having a non-combative character, the storyteller is looking to run a mostly hack and slash game and I really don't want to be left out. So after looking around for some fun ways to kill things in this game two styles caught my eye (other than infernal monster, but we're stuck playing solars): Crystal Chameleon and Laser Panther.

My knowledge is really limited on this game, so I come to you guys. Are these combat styles compatible? What other things should I invest my dots into? What sort of equipment should I invest in? I'm rebuilding this character fro scratch, so have at it.

My concept for the character is eccentric space ninja that does his best to cram as many lasers into each combat as possible. So:

http://eng.tekkenpedia.com/wiki/images/thumb/a/aa/Yoshimitsu_sfxt_cg_art.png/455px-Yoshimitsu_sfxt_cg_art.png

golentan
2012-10-08, 07:07 PM
Laser panther is a homebrew style and thus requires explicit approval, which should probably not be given for balance reasons but probably should on the grounds of playing a goddamned Jedi. The style only exists in Autochthonia by fluff, and relies on Beamklaves, a Autochthonian weapon. If you're playing a solar, probably not going to go down well. Infernal Monster is, being a martial art, available to solars who can find a suitably demonic tutor, so it's probably more available (you're a solar sorcerer: just summon a tutor and bind them to helping you). Crystal Chameleon is fairly awesome stylistically and has some useful charms, but does not share form weapons with the other styles you mentioned. If you want to mix and match, you're doing it with your bare hands.

All of this comes with a caveat: these are martial arts charms. They are celestial martial arts, balanced for use by any exalt. You are a solar, and your native charmset will be more powerful in combat than any martial arts style short of the Sidereal Arts.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-10-08, 07:16 PM
All of this comes with a caveat: these are martial arts charms. They are celestial martial arts, balanced for use by any exalt. You are a solar, and your native charmset will be more powerful in combat than any martial arts style short of the Sidereal Arts.

And this doesn't mean "you should take Sidereal Martial Arts". Because you shouldn't.

I will say that Solar Hero is good and strong, since you get the enhanced versions (you are using the errata, right?) as a Solar.

Nanoblack
2012-10-08, 07:23 PM
Well at this point in time I'm not necessarily aiming to be super powerful, this is more of a stylistical desire than anything else.

TimeWizard
2012-10-09, 11:41 PM
spells are powerful and cool, and you only need to know one: Magma Kraken. It does exactly what it sounds like. Solves everything.

golentan
2012-10-10, 12:56 AM
So sick of magma kraken jokes. :smallmad:

Weimann
2012-10-10, 04:53 AM
If optimal power isn't your prime directive, then you'll find that Martial Arts make excellent stylistic statements. I'd suggest Solar Hero or Infernal Monster for overwhelming power. Crane Style is usually considered good as well, if you're going for a more peaceful route. Laser Panther is a homebrew style, it was a while since I saw it, but I'd probably allow it.

Nanoblack
2012-10-10, 05:30 PM
So Solars can get infernal Monster without any chicanery? Also, if I were to want to continue with my disco space ninja, what case would be best? I assume night, but it's better to ask and be right than to stay quiet and regret my mistake. Lastly, what would be a good starting distribution for my first 25 dots?

TheCountAlucard
2012-10-10, 08:00 PM
So Solars can get infernal Monster without any chicanery?Of course. The style has been around since the First Age; it's bound to be written down in ancient tomes and bound up in memory crystals and such. Heck, if your previous incarnation was an akuma, it's entirely possible that you have memory fragments from said incarnation that are complete enough to let you learn the style!

what case would be best?Assuming you mean caste. :smalltongue:

I assume night, but it's better to ask and be right than to stay quiet and regret my mistake.It's up to you. :smalltongue: Night's Abilities are all fairly solid, though, so it's a pretty nice choice. :smallsmile: