PDA

View Full Version : Melee Pyrokineticist Concept Build

Swami Monsoon
2012-10-08, 07:16 PM
I'm thinking about a concept character for a low to mid-op 3.5 campaign.
I have limited 3.5 experience, so I'm open to advice.

The character would be a tribal Half (Fire) Giant.
He would start as a Barbarian, take two levels of Fighter (for proficiencies and +feats), two levels of Psychic Warrior (for power points and a few utility abilities) and then go Pyrokineticist at least to level 8 (for Greater Weapon Afire). He'd use a 2H weapon, probably a glaive.

Pros:
Cool concept (Huge guy with fiery hair hulking out and hitting people with a huge fiery weapon, setting people on fire while on fire... and also, FIRE!)
Hits like a bus.
Never unarmed, has both a melee and ranged weapon always available.

Cons:
Ugly low BAB.
Dead levels/seldom-used skills (whip and fists)
Fire resistant bad guys.

Any thoughts on feats? (I'd certainly have to go Weapon Focus>Greater Focus>Specialize just for to-hit bonuses... then basics like Power Attack, Cleave, etc. or something else?)
Is there a better way to use the five levels before starting Pyro? When/if the campaign ever gets to ~level 15, where to after finishing Pyro?

Will this guy be too gimped even in a moderate-op environment?

Thanks.

eggs
2012-10-08, 08:30 PM
Pyrokineticist is one of those classes that's normally one level long (for the whip's touch attacks). If you just want a guy who hits something hard with a flaming weapon, a build along the lines of Swordsage 1/Barbarian 2/Swordsage X would probably not land too far off concept, and would have a much better-rounded power set.

ThiagoMartell
2012-10-09, 12:23 AM
Pyro is not that bad of a class up to level 4, but it works better for dual wielders.
Consider the Elemental Warrior prc from Planar Handbook if all you want is a flaming weapon.

RFLS
2012-10-09, 10:55 AM
Do you mind if I use this idea in my campaign, but dialed up to 11? (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=455566) It goes quite well with one of the areas I have pre-planned, I've been looking for guards for the area.

Hylas
2012-10-09, 02:12 PM
Using the whip would let you do touch attacks, if you're worried about your to-hit. I don't recall if you can use greater weapon afire with it though. Power attack wouldn't work either, so you can look into using (Greater) Psionic Weapon to help boost your damage even more.

There's not much you can do with creatures immune to fire, of which there are a lot. Just the downside of having large amounts of fire damage as your biggest trick.

eggs
2012-10-09, 02:25 PM
Magic Item Compendium's Gauntlets of Energy Transformation swap energy types for 3 rounds per day. That's not a lot, but they're dirt cheap.

Person_Man
2012-10-09, 03:26 PM
Flaming Homer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4108954&postcount=22) might be useful to you.