PDA

View Full Version : Undead Heavy Campaign - Class

IzorkX
2012-10-09, 06:22 AM
Hey,

Some time ago, I posted here since I was creating a rogue for our heavy undead campaign (undead invasion, about 50% undeads or more).

Now I'm Lv. 9 on my Rogue 6/3 swashbuckler.

I am going to prepare another class, just in case I die somehow (we do have some.. well "retards" in our party, so that might happen)

So my questions is:

I'm looking to roll a class which is great in a undead heavy campaign.
Since I'm not really up for hardcore optimisation or anything, it has to be simple (no 1/1/1/1/1 dips or stuff like that) .

Maybe there's some prestige classes that you can go full in (1 Y(base)and 19 X(prestige).

Hope to get some help with choosing what to go (:

Thank you.

PS.

More info: I will start at my current level, with no XP (new char)

Party so far:
Duskblade,Warblade,Swordsage,Sorcerer.

I have no issues with having to play an "evil" char

Incorrect
2012-10-09, 06:33 AM
Simple, Core and anti undead ?

This is straight Cleric with the Sun domain. Put some points and equipment towards being good at turning, and you will be destroying undead left and right.

It will also fit nicely in the party.
(btw, when they are yelling for healing in combat, tell them that you are not that kind of cleric and keep destroying undead)

nedz
2012-10-09, 06:46 AM
+1 on the Cleric idea, but if you did want to play a Ranger you would at least know where to stick your FE bonus.

IzorkX
2012-10-09, 06:46 AM
Simple, Core and anti undead ?

This is straight Cleric with the Sun domain. Put some points and equipment towards being good at turning, and you will be destroying undead left and right.

It will also fit nicely in the party.
(btw, when they are yelling for healing in combat, tell them that you are not that kind of cleric and keep destroying undead)

I could do that. We could've used a cleric.

Is there no prestige classes worth dipping into without having to dip into too many others?

only1doug
2012-10-09, 06:49 AM
+1 cleric, PRC into Radiant Servant of Pelor

IzorkX
2012-10-09, 06:50 AM

Hm, it sounds like a nice one.

But how much?

Also which feats are good for turning and stuff? (I have never rolled a cleric, I am completely clueless)

Kelb_Panthera
2012-10-09, 06:53 AM

And let the wrath of the burning hate consume your rotting foes!

Seriously though. This is a pretty solid suggestion. If hauntings are a thing you might also look at sacred exorcist. Both PrC's are in Complete Divine.

There's a whole series of feats that I call the meta-turning feats. They come in heighten, empower, and improved. Then there's extra turning and I think there was a widen turning though I'm not sure about that one. Complete Divine and Libris Mortis will have everything you ever need for an undead heavy campaign.

IzorkX
2012-10-09, 06:59 AM

Seriously though. This is a pretty solid suggestion. If hauntings are a thing you might also look at sacred exorcist. Both PrC's are in Complete Divine.

There's a whole series of feats that I call the meta-turning feats. They come in heighten, empower, and improved. Then there's extra turning and I think there was a widen turning though I'm not sure about that one. Complete Divine and Libris Mortis will have everything you ever need for an undead heavy campaign.

Alright I'll look into it.

But with the dip in Radiant, should I go FULL in it? Like 1 cleric / 10 radiant and then go into cleric again? or would that be completely stupid?

only1doug
2012-10-09, 07:05 AM
Hm, it sounds like a nice one.

But how much?

Also which feats are good for turning and stuff? (I have never rolled a cleric, I am completely clueless)

Cleric 7 / RSoP 2

RSoP can't be taken until L7
Pre-reqs:
Will +5 (Cleric 6 would provide this)
Heal 5 ranks (cleric class skill)
Knowledge religion 9 ranks (cleric class skill, needs L6)
Extra Turning feat (1 feat, not a Tax as you would want this in a undead heavy campaign anyway)
Sun Domain
Pelor as deity

Pelor, The Burning Hate (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19558798/Pelor_the_Burning_Hate)

Edit:

There is no reason not to embrace the burning hate, RSoP is just Cleric++
(take 10 levels and then another PRC)

Gwendol
2012-10-09, 07:35 AM
Check out the Book of Exalted Deeds too, as it has spells and feats very useful for the undead hunter.

Example: Exalted turning: add on an extra 3d6 damage on successful turning

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-10-09, 07:39 AM
There are two prestige classes to consider:
Radiant Servant, which you never want more than five levels of (switching from empower to maximize for cure spells is a downgrade).
Morninglord, from Player's Guide to Faerun, which is worth all ten levels. Note that Lathander is basically the Forgotten Realms version of Pelor, when switching between core (Greyhawk) to FR the name is the only thing that gets converted, everything else stays the same.

Ideally you want to go Cleric 5/ Morninglord 1/ Radiant Servant 5/ Morninglord 9, since you can't qualify for Radiant Servant any sooner than that and you want those five levels in it asap. You'll need Improved Turning before 6th level to get Morninglord, and you'll need Extra Turning before 7th level to get Radiant Servant. You'll also need the Sun domain, and to benefit from Radiant Servant you'll need the Healing domain.

Radiant Servant's Empower Healing only affects your domain spells from the Healing domain, which would typically be only one spell per level per day. However, if you get the PH2 ACF to spontaneously convert prepared spells into Healing domain spells (instead of the generic spontaneously casting Cures), every spontaneous Healing domain spell you cast will be a domain spell and will benefit from Empowered Healing.

At Radiant Servant 5 take the Glory domain for even better undead turning. Try to get an Ephod of Authority, Rod of Defiance, Scepter of the Netherworld, and Reliquary Holy Symbol, all in MIC, and a Phylactery of Undead Turning from the DMG. Consider using Illumian (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20041203a&page=2) with the Hoonvaul runeword, since Vaul's bonus on Cha-based checks affects turning checks already. Take the feat Bright Sigil to increase the glow of your runes to that of a Daylight spell (and get its area dramatically increased by both Radiant Servant and Morninglord), and pick up the Swift Concentration skill trick in CS to maintain that with only a swift action each round.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-10-09, 07:44 AM
Alright I'll look into it.

But with the dip in Radiant, should I go FULL in it? Like 1 cleric / 10 radiant and then go into cleric again? or would that be completely stupid?
As doug pointed out, you can't actually take RSoP until level 7 because of its requirements. Sacred Exorcist has spell requirements that push it back to around the same level, IIRC. Either is perfectly fine for a straight run.

Check out the Book of Exalted Deeds too, as it has spells and feats very useful for the undead hunter.

Example: Exalted turning: add on an extra 3d6 damage on successful turning
BoED can be very hit or miss with most people. The RP requirements of gaining and maintaining exalted status are often seen as more trouble than they're worth, depending on who you ask. The example feat given above is a poor choice for a radiant servant though. If a radiant servant succsefully turns an undead, there's nothing left for the feat's bonus damage to effect.

I'm not saying "don't use BoED," just that you should be certain that it's a source you're willing to work with or one you and your DM are willing to rework or waive certain aspects of.

Gwendol
2012-10-09, 08:07 AM
It is, and one should, but it can be totally worth it.

My advice was for a more vanilla-type cleric who wanted more out of turning.

I second BF's suggestion for combining Morninglord of Lathander and Radiant Servant: can't get much more anti-undead than that.

Jane_Smith
2012-10-09, 08:13 AM
Isn't there a undead hunting prc class for rogues in like complete miniatures? I forget the name, it was fairly simple. Basically it allowed your sneak attacks and precision damage and crits to work on undead that would normally be immune to it (but not ghosts/etc), and you gained a special "Undeath to Death" style assassination skill, etc.

Also, a fun combo would be a rogue/PALADIN of all things. The irony is poetic, and a sneak attack smite evil would be a truly wondrous thing if your dm allowed you to pull off flanking/etc as a paladin. Maybe ask him to allow you to play as a somewhat rebellious paladin? Might be some prc's for it, not sure, its a raw mix, though nothing really says outright you can't.

Gwendol
2012-10-09, 09:00 AM
Penetrating strike ACF from dungeonscape allows for applying half SA damage to those normally immune. It replaces trapfinding.
It's a good starting point for playing a rogue in an undead-heavy campaign.

Gavinfoxx
2012-10-09, 12:28 PM
Penetrating strike ACF from dungeonscape allows for applying half SA damage to those normally immune. It replaces trapfinding.
It's a good starting point for playing a rogue in an undead-heavy campaign.

This is false. It does not replace trapfinding. Also, there are two versions of the ability. The better one is in the 3.5e Ravenloft book.

nedz
2012-10-09, 12:38 PM
Trap Sense not Trap Finding, IIRC.

Psyren
2012-10-09, 02:35 PM
Isn't there a undead hunting prc class for rogues in like complete miniatures? I forget the name, it was fairly simple. Basically it allowed your sneak attacks and precision damage and crits to work on undead that would normally be immune to it (but not ghosts/etc), and you gained a special "Undeath to Death" style assassination skill, etc..

Skullclan Hunter. It's a fantastic choice for a rogue in a braaaaaains campaign, and it's kind of surprising that WotC did such a good job with a PrC that early in 3.5's run when so many others were awful. (*avoids looking at CWar.*)

Duboris
2012-10-09, 02:54 PM
Being a Fighter in this situation wouldn't be a bad idea either...

Which brings to mind. Based on your level you could go 2/2 Cleric Fighter, with sun domain, of course.

The reason I say this is because I can't help but want to Mimic Knight Solaire from Dark souls.

More to the point, regardless of RP worthiness, the sun domain is definately the bane of undead.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-10-09, 08:55 PM
Isn't there a undead hunting prc class for rogues in like complete miniatures? I forget the name, it was fairly simple. Basically it allowed your sneak attacks and precision damage and crits to work on undead that would normally be immune to it (but not ghosts/etc), and you gained a special "Undeath to Death" style assassination skill, etc.

Also, a fun combo would be a rogue/PALADIN of all things. The irony is poetic, and a sneak attack smite evil would be a truly wondrous thing if your dm allowed you to pull off flanking/etc as a paladin. Maybe ask him to allow you to play as a somewhat rebellious paladin? Might be some prc's for it, not sure, its a raw mix, though nothing really says outright you can't.

Rogue/Paladin can be tons of fun. There's even a feat that blends them in Complete Adventurer; devoted inquisitor. It lets you daze opponents that you succesful smite and sneak attack at the same time.

If you do play a paladin though, have a talk with your DM about the CoC. You really need to be on the same page for that to not become a point of contention. Complete Scoundrel has the Greyguard PrC that relaxes it a bit, if you want to play a grittier paladin that doesn't mind getting his hands dirty.

Gwendol
2012-10-10, 05:52 AM
This is false. It does not replace trapfinding. Also, there are two versions of the ability. The better one is in the 3.5e Ravenloft book.

Yeah, it's trapsense: a really useless ability. Wasn't aware of the Ravenloft book ability.

Morbis Meh
2012-10-10, 11:49 AM

Accomplished easily by using the Paladin of Freedom ACF in unearthed arcana, the ACF to over come undead in Ravenloft is called a lightbringer rogue I believe...

_flint_
2012-10-11, 07:36 AM
What about dread necromancer(Heroes of Horror)? Of course, it seems like you prefer sneaky/dodgy characters more (everyone has their archetype) An other spellcaster you could play would be a Druid/Master of Radiance (Libris Mortis) or Sacred Exorcist (complete divine)

Grey guard from complete scoundrel would stack well flavor-wise with the pally/rogue idea, but might leave something to be desired in power. If the DM uses taint rules, you could also do corrupt avenger or Purifier of the unhallowed doctrine(heroes of horror)

For more roguely stuff, you could become a Rogue/Temple Raider of Ollidimmara(Complete Divine)/Sacred Purifier(Libris Mortis)

Sharing some of the undead's immunities might help out here, so you could go with a necropolitan(Libris Mortis) for race.

welp, that's what I've got for now, tell me what you think

IzorkX
2012-10-13, 06:27 PM
Im considering going Dread Necromancer instead of the cleric. It sounds like fun ;)

Rhizzaer
2012-10-13, 07:43 PM
+1 Cleric 7/Radiant Servant (As many as you can get)

I played this build in an undead-heavy campaign and I started out as healer/saintly man with some ghost touch armor and weaponry. I ended up being the cleansing fire of judgment upon the unholy. There is no reason to go anything else until you have as much Radiant Servant as possible except for flavor or if you're not playing cleric. Extra turning is also pretty spiffy.