PDA

View Full Version : save-proofing an arcanist's attacks

Toliudar
2012-10-09, 11:08 AM
Hi folks,

I'm in a game on another board in which I'm fairly sure the DM uses 'dramatic license' in dealing with NPC's. That is to say, when dealing with anyone but a mook, they automatically make their saves and I fail spell resistance checks for the first three or four rounds of combat. This has been going on for a while now. He doesn't post rolls, but it's not just me who's noticed this, so I'm fairly confident that it's happening.

I'm enjoying the game, and am not even particularly complaining about the choices that the DM's making. I am, however, looking for ways to contribute in combats instead of having my save-or-sucks simply fail all the time.

I'm playing a generalist wizard with access to 8th level spells. Scrolls etc are reasonably accessible, so over the medium-long term I can start to adapt my spell selections accordingly.

I'm already using orbs for damage, since he seems less likely to fudge AC, and summoned monsters to provide support for the rest of the group (mostly melee-heavy). But if there were specific spells or strategies that you'd care to suggest to overcome opponents that have effectively infinite saves and SR, I'd love to hear em.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-10-09, 11:15 AM
No save no-SR spells like Solid Fog and Forcecage seems to be the best option if you are hellbent of targeting them directly, otherwise buffing you melee guys should work too.

Hirax
2012-10-09, 11:21 AM
Energy sub cold on incendiary cloud, then use a rod of piercing cold to make the damage ignore cold resistance and do half damage to creatures immune to cold. Forcecage them in, and voila. Orb of cold with piercing cold is another good option to hit single targets. If your DM starts giving your enemies the cold subtype, ability to teleport, and unbeatable touch ACs to counter this, you'll know for sure all his NPCs are being given help (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AssPull) to be Mary Sues (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NewPowersAsThePlotDemands), and will probably always have the right tool for the job (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CrazyPrepared).

Psyren
2012-10-09, 12:41 PM
Summons are always useful as well. Remember, every hit a summon takes may as well be a wasted attack from the enemy's perspective. You're stealing their actions almost as effectively as if you had hit them with a save or lose.

Feralventas
2012-10-09, 01:01 PM
As a generalist, you've avoided losing access to any schools of magic. Short-term, summons for combat and Knowledge checks to learn an enemy's weaknesses so that your party can more effectively take out an enemy, or so that you can prepare for them specifically. Consider taking Knowledge Devotion to gain damage bonuses on your attack-roll spells hit and damage.

Alternatively there's a meta-magic feat I know but would rather not proliferate the knowledge of as it is a game-breaker in some of the worst ways possible. It may work for your situation but it's Really not appropriate to use unless you're sure that you have no other options. PM if you still want it.

For the long-term, you'll want to look at buffing spells like Haste, Animal's Atribute spells, Mage Armor, Greater Mage Armor (those two for non-armor wearers like yourself) and maybe Polymorph to take to combat as a monstrous creatures.

And of course Wall spells are lovely for combat control. Wall of Ice and Iron to waste people's time trying to get over walls. Walls of Gloom and Vermin to provide cover and concealment, and walls of Fire and Blades to punish people for going against your plans.

Sith_Happens
2012-10-09, 01:26 PM
Alternatively there's a meta-magic feat I know but would rather not proliferate the knowledge of as it is a game-breaker in some of the worst ways possible. It may work for your situation but it's Really not appropriate to use unless you're sure that you have no other options. PM if you still want it.

If you mean Irresistable Spell, it was nerfed in errata to give +10 to the save DC rather than removing the save entirely.

If you mean Persistent Spell, I'm pretty sure everyone already knows about that one.

Feralventas
2012-10-09, 01:30 PM
If you mean Irresistable Spell, it was nerfed in errata to give +10 to the save DC rather than removing the save entirely.

If you mean Persistent Spell, I'm pretty sure everyone already knows about that one.

It was the former, and could you please direct me to the errata?

Hirax
2012-10-09, 01:35 PM
It was the former, and could you please direct me to the errata?

I'll instead point out that nobody in their right mind takes KoK seriously, which is why you don't see it and other things from it mentioned often. For instance, it also features the spell swap feat, which allows wizards to change their prepared spells on the fly with a pitifully easy spellcraft check, eliminating the advantage sorcerers had of being able to spam the same spell.

Darius Kane
2012-10-09, 01:46 PM
Call him out on it.

Toliudar
2012-10-09, 02:17 PM
Call him out on it.

I'm not particularly interested in doing that - the boat isn't sinking, so I'm not rocking it. I'm just looking for a more efficient shape of sail, to belabour the metaphor.

Psyren
2012-10-09, 02:25 PM
I'm not particularly interested in doing that - the boat isn't sinking, so I'm not rocking it. I'm just looking for a more efficient shape of sail, to belabour the metaphor.

Then you've got the big three - buffs, summons and no-save spells. You already started on the latter (orbs), so now you can look into adding a few more goodies from the first two.

Snowbluff
2012-10-09, 03:03 PM
Then you've got the big three - buffs, summons and no-save spells. You already started on the latter (orbs), so now you can look into adding a few more goodies from the first two.

Seconding this.

Also, pick up the Swift Concentration skill trick from Complete Scoundrel. It's good.

Toliudar
2012-10-09, 03:05 PM
Seconding this.

Also, pick up the Swift Concentration skill trick from Complete Scoundrel. It's good.

Mmm! Good one. I'll add that to my shopping list for the next level-up.

Person_Man
2012-10-09, 03:23 PM
I would make a point of using magic outside of combat as often as possible. If your divinations always give you minimal or misleading information, and your attempts to bypass combat/traps usually fail, then it's a clear sign that you can never successfully use magic if it "ruins" your DM's pre-written plot or encounter. In this case, you should forget trying to use No Save/No SR magic (which should work, but won't if your DM creatively finds ways to thwart you), and instead focus solely on buffs and Summons.

Toliudar
2012-10-09, 03:28 PM
Good ideas as well.