PDA

View Full Version : Eberron and Races of the Dragon (3.5)

mattie_p
2012-10-09, 04:04 PM
So... Eberron. The land of Dragons. Are there any sources that reference Half-Dragons, Draconic Creatures, Spellscales, DW Kobolds, and other dragon descended creatures that live in Eberron? I would prefer books or web enhancements, as Dragon/Dungeon issues are difficult for me to come by. Thanks for any help.

The Redwolf
2012-10-09, 04:08 PM
From what I remember aren't spellscales created from magic itself rather than being related to dragons? They just are draconic, but there aren't any direct ties. I might be misremembering though.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-10-09, 04:08 PM
Half Dragons are an abomination, the Dragons of Argonessen burned a whole Dragonmarked house down to erradicate it because there was a single half dragon born to that house (Vol if you are interested) so yeah, no half dragons in eberron unless you want your whole bloodline killed.

Kobolds have a sidebar on their chapter and it is sensible to assume it also refers to DW kobolds in Eberron

Draconic creatures and spellscales I have no idea; but if they exist they will probably be found in Argonessen and/or Droam. Check Dragons of Eberron it has some info on creatures living in Argonessen and I think I remember reading something about dragonblooded creatures there; but I can't be certain right now.

mattie_p
2012-10-09, 07:22 PM
I was just looking through Dragons of Eberron, actually, and didn't see anything regarding them (draconic creatures, that is) If you or anyone else has a page reference that would be great.

Interesting about those half dragons, Dusk Eclipse. I believe, but citation please? I want to get the full effect going, which means fluff from the books. Thanks

toapat
2012-10-09, 07:25 PM
I was just looking through Dragons of Eberron, actually, and didn't see anything regarding them (draconic creatures, that is) If you or anyone else has a page reference that would be great.

Interesting about those half dragons, Dusk Eclipse. I believe, but citation please? I want to get the full effect going, which means fluff from the books. Thanks

i think the book is Dragonmarked Houses.

Lady Vol is born>Thousand Year War ends>House of Vol stomped

mattie_p
2012-10-09, 07:39 PM
i think the book is Dragonmarked Houses.

Lady Vol is born>Thousand Year War ends>House of Vol stomped

Oh. Not one I have. Need to dig, then

Dusk Eclipse
2012-10-09, 07:55 PM

I can't give a citation right now cause I don't have my Eberron books handy, sorry.

mattie_p
2012-10-09, 07:59 PM
That's fine anyway. Someone else will post it. I hope.

Answerer
2012-10-09, 08:01 PM
Half-dragons do sometimes still happen, but they are very specifically sired by a dragon looking to accomplish something very specific with him or her, and kept very carefully secret from other dragons, who would kill the child and mortal parent, and quite likely the dragon parent as well.

Most such half-dragons are born on the Seren Islands, off the coast of Argonnessen.

I'm not aware of any reference to dragonborn, spellscales, or other draconic player races in Eberron. Since 4e had dragonborn as a Core race, though, maybe some 4e Eberron books might discuss them? After all, you're only interested in the fluff anyway.

Q'barra, Droaam, Seren, and Argonnessen itself are places where such draconic creatures could be found without really surprising anyone. Of course, just about anything can be in Xen'drik.

toapat
2012-10-09, 08:13 PM
That's fine anyway. Someone else will post it. I hope.

you cant. it is in Eberron Campaign Setting, possibly Faiths of Eberron

but honestly? Eberron has too many different things that each alone could be plot central characteristics thrown everywhich way throughout it. it is not what i would call a well thought out setting.

Lateral
2012-10-09, 11:58 PM
but honestly? Eberron has too many different things that each alone could be plot central characteristics thrown everywhich way throughout it. it is not what i would call a well thought out setting.

...That screams "open campaign setting" to me. Having lots of plot-central characteristics is a good thing that keeps the setting from getting boring after a few runs. :smallconfused:

ThiagoMartell
2012-10-10, 12:06 AM
How the hell do they justify dragonborn in Eberron? I'll just wait here until someone mentions how 4e screwed Eberron even more.

Agent 451
2012-10-10, 02:08 AM
Interesting about those half dragons, Dusk Eclipse. I believe, but citation please? I want to get the full effect going, which means fluff from the books. Thanks.

Page 74 of Races of the Dragon briefly mentions the interaction between the Dragons of Argonnessen and half-dragons, specifically Vol.

Edit. Page 11 of Dragons of Eberron also has a tiny bit of info.

Alienist
2012-10-10, 05:29 AM
Note that the guiding principle for Eberron has always been "if it exists in D&D it has a place in Eberron".

Though that could get a little weak when you consider things like well... pretty much anything from Dark Sun setting (or to a lesser extent other settings too).

mattie_p
2012-10-10, 06:06 AM
Haha, thanks for the tip, Agent 451. There is a small sidebar in every chapter for the races in RoDr, even dragonborn. Serves me right for not noticing the adaptation notes in the book itself.

Thiago, the one for dragonborn is on p20. Dragonborn are refluffed to fit the conflict between Khyber and Eberron, on the side of Eberron, instead of Tiamat and Bahamut.

ThiagoMartell
2012-10-10, 07:01 AM
Thiago, the one for dragonborn is on p20. Dragonborn are refluffed to fit the conflict between Khyber and Eberron, on the side of Eberron, instead of Tiamat and Bahamut.

I meant 4e dragonborn, they are very different from 3.5 dragonborn.

Note that the guiding principle for Eberron has always been "if it exists in D&D it has a place in Eberron".

Though that could get a little weak when you consider things like well... pretty much anything from Dark Sun setting (or to a lesser extent other settings too).
That principle does not apply to setting specific material...

Dusk Eclipse
2012-10-10, 07:28 AM
Some could work, IIRC halflings in Dark Sun are cannibals right? There could be a cannibalistic halfling tribe roaming through the Talenta plains without causing much trouble for the setting itself, or Xen'driks for the matter.

phlidwsn
2012-10-10, 08:20 AM
For Kobolds, see this Dragonshard (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ebds/20050321a) article

mattie_p
2012-10-10, 11:00 AM
I meant 4e dragonborn, they are very different from 3.5 dragonborn.
My bad, then. I am totally unfamiliar with 4e.

That principle does not apply to setting specific material...

((Quietly scraps plans to introduce the entire FR pantheon into Eberron))

Agent 451
2012-10-10, 01:34 PM
((Quietly scraps plans to introduce the entire FR pantheon into Eberron))

Oh, don't do that. Just blame it on Sigil, and the fact that some weird super powerful giant wizardess fixated on pain did it...

toapat
2012-10-10, 02:35 PM
Oh, don't do that. Just blame it on Sigil, and the fact that some weird super powerful giant wizardess fixated on pain did it...

there isnt really alot exclusive to Faerun that needs to be in Eberron though. pretty much just Mystra is needed to make Paladins remotely playable by having access to any level of Optimization

Agent 451
2012-10-10, 02:45 PM
What about a renegade group of saurials trying to free their dinosaur brethren from the clutches of halfling servitude? :smalltongue:

The_Snark
2012-10-10, 09:41 PM
How the hell do they justify dragonborn in Eberron? I'll just wait here until someone mentions how 4e screwed Eberron even more.

They occupy sort of the same role as lizardfolk, I think: native to Argonessen, where there are supposedly tribes/city-states/empires ruled by the native dragons, but some can be found in Q'Barra. Not a whole lot of detail is given on them.

In general, I've found 4e's additions to Eberron to be pretty minor (as opposed to the literal cataclysm it inflicted on Forgotten Realms).

Answerer
2012-10-10, 09:48 PM
Lizardfolk aren't native to Argonnessen, they're native to Q'barra.

Deth Muncher
2012-10-10, 09:59 PM
Maybe check Races of Eberron too? I'm AFB right now, but I feel like it'll have something in there for you.

The_Snark
2012-10-11, 05:22 AM
Lizardfolk aren't native to Argonnessen, they're native to Q'barra.

I mostly meant that they're both semi-savage reptilian races who aren't often seen in mainstream Khorvaire. They're playable, but you'll stand out unless you're in Sharn, Q'Barra, Droaam, or someplace equally cosmopolitan/home to exotics.

But yeah. Clumsy wording on my part.