PDA

View Full Version : What does this mean?[PF]

Madara
2012-10-09, 04:51 PM
Relevent text from the PFSRD

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Alchemists are proficient with all simple weapons and bombs. They are also proficient with light armor, but not with shields.

Is there a list of the weapons catagorized as bombs? Because I looked in weapons, and it isn't there. I also looked in the special material, where there are a few bombs. Is it just things with "Bomb" in their name? Or does it refer to their class feature?(In which case it is irrelevent because of this text:)

thrown bombs have a range of 20 feet and use the Throw Splash Weapon (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#TOC-Throw-Splash-Weapon) special attack.
From which we pull this line:

Thrown splash weapons require no weapon proficiency, so you don't take the –4 nonproficiency penalty.

So is the proficiency with "bombs" completely meaningless? Or is there a list I seem to be missing?

Blisstake
2012-10-09, 05:55 PM
It's meaningless. I think it's to avoid a silly technicality like monks not being proficient with their fists in 3.5.

navar100
2012-10-09, 06:12 PM
Alchemists make and throw bombs as a class feature. This bomb is a new weapon type created specifically for the class. It is its own category as opposed to "simple" or "martial". The statement is reinforcing the idea the alchemist can throw his bomb without penalty or need to take Exotic Weapon Proficiency (bomb) feat.

Madara
2012-10-09, 06:15 PM
Alchemists make and throw bombs as a class feature. This bomb is a new weapon type created specifically for the class. It is its own category as opposed to "simple" or "martial". The statement is reinforcing the idea the alchemist can throw his bomb without penalty or need to take Exotic Weapon Proficiency (bomb) feat.

Good to know. My confusion came about because their are other "Bomb" items that are listed in special materials and such, which made me think it was some sort of other catagory.

GreenZ
2012-10-09, 06:43 PM
Ironically, this also means that even simple reanimated undead alchemists are proficient with 'bombs' even though they don't have the class feature to create them anymore. :smalltongue: