PDA

View Full Version : Proud Fighter, Humble Build

Palanan
2012-10-09, 09:23 PM
I could use some input on a very basic build I've worked up for an NPC. She's a fourth-level fighter, intended for straightforward melee:

1st standard - Improved Initiative
1st human bonus - Luck of Heroes
1st fighter bonus - Weapon Focus
1st flaw - Weapon Finesse
2nd fighter bonus - Combat Reflexes
3rd standard - Deft Opportunist
4th fighter bonus - Weapon Specialization

For my own reasons, I'd like to keep this fighter-only for now. This is partly because I'm interested in using the Corsair fighter variant from Dragon 310, which will have some advantages in my seafaring campaign.

I'm looking for this NPC to provide a decent challenge in a one-on-one duel with a fifth-level PC, who's a swashbuckler/rogue. As it stands, will this build be enough? And if not, what will it need?

Saidoro
2012-10-09, 09:39 PM
How many levels does the swashbuckler/rogue have in each class and what are her feats?

BowStreetRunner
2012-10-09, 10:05 PM
At 5th level a swashbuckler/rogue, regardless of how many levels of each, will have a BAB of +4, the same as a level 4 fighter. Assuming your opponent has the Daring Outlaw feat, that will include 3d6 sneak attack damage, so one of your first considerations will be keeping yourself from being caught without your Dex bonus to AC or in a flanking situation.

The Swashbuckler will also have +1 dodge bonus to AC, Dex instead of Str on attack rolls, and possibly also INT to damage. He will be limited to light armor and have two to three feats, depending on race - more if he took flaws.

Your fighter has a +1 luck bonus to AC from Luck of Heroes and +1 to attacks from Weapon Focus, +2 to damage from Weapon Specialization. Weapon Finesse makes this another Dex to attack character and Combat Reflexes plus Deft Opportunist makes the character strong on attacks of opportunity - suggesting a reach weapon such as spiked chain would be ideal.

My initial reaction is that the fighter could be at a significant disadvantage if he loses initiative and gets caught flat-footed. Combat Reflexes may give an attack of opportunity in this case, but without Uncanny Dodge he is still going to take the sneak attack damage. Using a reach weapon with a feat such as Improved Trip or Stand Still might provide a better defense against the first-round advantage of the Swashbuckler/Rogue.

Once the fighter survives the first round, his damage is going to be more comparable. Another advantage the fighter may be able to employ is heavier armor.

Palanan
2012-10-09, 11:42 PM
The swashbuckler/rogue is actually using the feat-rogue variant, so no sneak attack. He's TWF with Combat Reflexes, Deft Opportunist and Weapon Finesse. (I didn't intend for the NPC to match him so closely, just worked out that way.)

I've already established that the NPC fighter is using a rapier (or something similar), and the Corsair variant gives some advantages to fighting in the rigging. They'll be dueling up and down on a sailing ship that looks much like this (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8f/Kalmar_Nyckel_Chesapeake_Bay.jpg).

I want this to be a stiff fight, but not overwhelming to either party. Without sneak attack for the swashbuckler/rogue, does the NPC fighter have any advantage?

Sith_Happens
2012-10-10, 01:47 AM
The swashbuckler/rogue is actually using the feat-rogue variant, so no sneak attack. He's TWF with Combat Reflexes, Deft Opportunist and Weapon Finesse. (I didn't intend for the NPC to match him so closely, just worked out that way.)

I've already established that the NPC fighter is using a rapier (or something similar), and the Corsair variant gives some advantages to fighting in the rigging. They'll be dueling up and down on a sailing ship that looks much like this (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8f/Kalmar_Nyckel_Chesapeake_Bay.jpg).

I want this to be a stiff fight, but not overwhelming to either party. Without sneak attack for the swashbuckler/rogue, does the NPC fighter have any advantage?

Mechanically speaking, the swashbuckler PC and fighter NPC are practically identical. The PC might have a slight hit point advantage depending on the proportion of rogue vs. swashbuckler levels and their respective Con scores, while it sounds like the NPC will have a terrain advantage. Besides that it's a mirror match, which should translate to the climactic duel you're hoping for.

ericgrau
2012-10-10, 02:56 AM
+1 to reach weapon. I wouldn't use improved trip because of the dex focus. You might try improved disarm instead but you're short on feats and it's a bit cheesy to use against players unless it's a humanoid heavy region where he'd also use it on nearly all other foes besides players. You could also pick up combat expertise by itself since it tends to be excellent for duels when your attack bonus and AC is high. As long as he has no allies he wants to protect more than himself, max it out.

As for comparing him to the swashbuckler rogue try this damage per round formula:
DPR = (21 + AB - AC) / 20 * DPH * (1 + crit range / 20). DPH = damage die size / 2 + 0.5 + damage bonuses. AB = attacker's attack bonus. AC = defender's AC.

So you figure out the round 1 DPR with and without sneak attack. Assuming the swashbuckler has a 50% chance of winning initiative you average the two. Then round 2 and on you look at damage without sneak attack and see who runs out of HP first. You'd be surprised how much of a difference the fighter's attack bonus and hp will make. If you want to make sure the player wins or probably wins, assume the fighter wins initiative and does a little more DPR than average. Attacks of opportunity and special attacks complicate things a bit but you can use the above formula for an attack of opportunity too.

Palanan
2012-10-10, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the comments and analysis thus far. Just a couple more questions here:

1. I'd like for her to use an elven thinblade, but not sure I want to burn a feat on EWP. Is the thinblade worth it, and is there some way to get her one without bending the rules like Beckham?

2. In general, what magic items would work well for this NPC? She'd rather not put enchantments on the sword (too easy to lose in the ocean) and she won't be using heavy armor, but otherwise I'm open to all manner of suggestions.

Firechanter
2012-10-10, 02:39 PM
1. I'd like for her to use an elven thinblade, but not sure I want to burn a feat on EWP. Is the thinblade worth it

No. Exotic Weapons generally aren't worth a feat, particularly not if their entire advantage is 1 point higher average damage vs. the corresponding Martial weapon. Just go with a rapier or cutless (=scimitar), if you want to keep it corsair-y and not go for reach weapons.

2. In general, what magic items would work well for this NPC? She'd rather not put enchantments on the sword (too easy to lose in the ocean) and she won't be using heavy armor, but otherwise I'm open to all manner of suggestions.

Well, as level 4 NPC her wealth is pretty limited anyway, at 3300GP. +1 Armour and either +1 Weapon or a MW weapon and +1 Deflection item, or you go for utility gear useful for a sailor.

Palanan
2012-10-10, 04:17 PM
Actually, I'll be giving her the full 5400 for WBL at fourth level, same as a regular PC. She's the captain's bodyguard and she's done rather well so far.

I'm thinking an anklet of translocation might be useful. Anything else that would help her build? Panic buttons always seemed fun, but they're fairly pricey for a one-shot item.

ericgrau
2012-10-11, 02:32 AM
2-3 level 1 potions never hurt since they're so cheap. Reduce person (+2 attack bonus, +2 AC, -2 damage) and protection from good (+2 AC, +2 saves if the player is good) most likely. Don't waste a combat round on them but if he has time to buff beforehand then downing them both is a tremendous boost. Because they are expendables don't forget to multiply their effective cost by 5 if this is a one off fight. You might throw in a couple more matching potions for the sake of treasure and realism. Since he doesn't actually use the spares they shouldn't get the cost bump IMO. You might even fold them into the 5x cost of the matching potions and put them at zero. Again assuming this is a one off fight. Besides that there should be a 25% (1350 gp) limit on expendables. That's what the DMG recommends for players and it applies here too IMO. If he gets the drop on the PC rather than vis versa even those 2 potions might be too much of an advantage.

Spell compendium might have other interesting options, though remember personal spells can't be put into potions.

Palanan
2012-10-11, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate it. I'll definitely check into some potions.

Originally Posted by ericgrau
Reduce person (+2 attack bonus, +2 AC, -2 damage) and protection from good (+2 AC, +2 saves if the player is good) most likely.

...And as it happens, the PC is a halfling, and he's chaotic neutral.

:smalltongue: