PDA

View Full Version : Oh Hell no! (3.5 spell, PEACH)

ArkenBrony
2012-10-09, 10:03 PM
Oh Hell No!
transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 8
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 immediate action
Range: personal
Area: you
Duration: 1 round (apparent time); see text
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: no

in a brief moment, you realize a spell is aimed at you, or a swordsman draws dangerously close to you, so you utter the magic words "Oh Hell No!" and time freezes for just long enough for you to get out of the way. Upon casting the spell, time seems to freeze for all creatures but you, although you are in fact just moving that much faster than them. You are free to act for 1 round of apparent time. you can still be injured during the spells duration, but no one but you may take actions during it. all creatures are considered immune to damage for the duration of this spell, and you cannot target other creatures with any attack or spell.
when the spells duration has ended, any spell or attack that was targeting you misses, and an area affect spell you were in the area of only affects you if you are still in it.
You cannot move or harm items held, carried, or worn by a creature stuck in normal time, but you can affect any item that is not in another creature’s possession.
You are undetectable while the spell lasts. You cannot enter an area protected by an antimagic field while under the effect of this spell.

Tvtyrant
2012-10-09, 10:04 PM
Immediate action time stop? What was wrong with contingencies? :P

ArkenBrony
2012-10-09, 10:08 PM
its also only verbal, so it can be used to escape even a grapple.

Wyntonian
2012-10-09, 10:35 PM
its also only verbal, so it can be used to escape even a grapple.

Generally, by 17th level, it can be reasonably expected that a spellcaster would have contingent spells up for situations such as "grappled" or "below X hp" or other common Bad Things To Have Happen. This is still a neat little spell, though.

Also, copypasta error in the last sentence, you reference Time Stop. This isn't time stop.

I'd consider bumping this down a level, perhaps. I'm no expert on spells, but I feel like there's a lot that this lacks to be a true 9th level spell. I'm looking at competition like True Resurrection, Miracle, Gate, Foresight, Shapechange, Dominate Monster, Time Stop and other non-SRD spells, and this seems to come up a little short.

Also..m am I the only one who reads this in Will Smith's voice? :smalltongue:

ArkenBrony
2012-10-09, 10:49 PM
Generally, by 17th level, it can be reasonably expected that a spellcaster would have contingent spells up for situations such as "grappled" or "below X hp" or other common Bad Things To Have Happen. This is still a neat little spell, though.

thanks, i understand though, i just had this idea and had to use it

Also, copypasta error in the last sentence, you reference Time Stop. This isn't time stop.

thanks, fixed

I'd consider bumping this down a level, perhaps. I'm no expert on spells, but I feel like there's a lot that this lacks to be a true 9th level spell. I'm looking at competition like True Resurrection, Miracle, Gate, Foresight, Shapechange, Dominate Monster, Time Stop and other non-SRD spells, and this seems to come up a little short.

i suppose you're right, do you think 7 or 8 would be better, or if it is lower by a lot?

no, no you are not :smalltongue:

Dumbledore lives
2012-10-09, 10:57 PM
It's a get out of jail free card, and the wizard has plenty of those, but this one is particularly all purpose. I'd say 8, if only because one round is quite a long time, and could be used to cast time stop or something for even more rounds of buffing. That and wizards shouldn't be stopping time earlier than 15th level.

Oh, you also seem to be missing a school, I'd suggest Transmutation like Time Stop.

Dimonite
2012-10-09, 11:20 PM

I prefer Chi McBride's, myself.

"What's that? I'm supposed to be on-topic and helpful if I'm posting in these threads? Wow, OK."

*ahem*

I like the auto-miss feature, and I second that it should be 8th level. Also, as was previously mentioned, it's nice that it's only a verbal component - useful for the grappled wizard with few other options (unless he prepared stilled spells today).

Jane_Smith
2012-10-09, 11:28 PM
Yeah I like it very much. I would make it a transmutation spell, as it acts like a haste/slow on steroids.

Kane0
2012-10-10, 12:36 AM
When i read over this my first thought was Fry after 100 Coffees (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9Ef0ErCU1c).

Nice spell :smallbiggrin:

ArkenBrony
2012-10-10, 05:14 AM
thank you for the comments, will fix the school, i thought i had put one but i guess not.

ArkenBrony
2012-10-10, 05:04 PM
Yeah I like it very much. I would make it a transmutation spell, as it acts like a haste/slow on steroids.

normal time stop says it is not actually slowing down time, but accelerating your speed instead