PDA

View Full Version : My player wants to be a bloodsucker

Hawkings
2012-10-09, 10:06 PM
One of my players has been talking about playing a vampire for years, recently another player has joined as a half-vampire and now he's got it in his head it's finally time and that he needs to be one too.

Not too ironically the problem with vampires is they suck with a +8 LA, plus they're a slave to who ever creates them, which has been my trusty giant stick to beat the idea away with for years; and half-vampire isn't something you just become either.

Well he's quite determined to turn his character into a blood sucker now and my diplomacy check against him hasn't worked.

So my question is how do you create an original vampire or is there a way to bestow the half-vampire template to a already existing character?

If anyone knows a more PC friendly vampire race or class that could help too.

On a side note he's got a friendly NPC with all kinds of dark knowledge so there's no RP problem, I just can't find a book that talks about actually creating the curse, not even ravenloft.

BowStreetRunner
2012-10-09, 10:14 PM
...is there a way to bestow the half-vampire template to a already existing character?

According to LM, the half-vampire template is inherited, so technically cannot be applied to an existing character. So what you need is a way to transform an existing character, similar to reincarnation or the dragonborn rite of transformation.

The Redwolf
2012-10-09, 10:19 PM
The Dhampir in Pathfinder is basically a racial half-vampire with no LA, so you might look at them for ideas.

DrMike105
2012-10-09, 10:23 PM
The easiest way would probably be to let him start taking the vampire spawn racial class from the Libris Mortis, as its already built to be done over time. Just treat it like any other prestige class and add a dark ritual as a requirement.

dascarletm
2012-10-09, 10:23 PM
For the being a slave part, just have the the vampire turning the player currently at his capacity of minions.

For the LA you could houserule some of it away, try to fix it? idk.

Hawkings
2012-10-09, 10:36 PM
According to LM, the half-vampire template is inherited, so technically cannot be applied to an existing character. So what you need is a way to transform an existing character, similar to reincarnation or the dragonborn rite of transformation.

The Dhampir in Pathfinder is basically a racial half-vampire with no LA, so you might look at them for ideas.

Those are both exactly what I needed thank you very much!

Morithias
2012-10-09, 10:43 PM
Vampire LA +8 is so overblown. Our group knocks it to +5 and even then I've had people argue on this forum that it's STILL too high of an LA.

_flint_
2012-10-11, 04:27 PM
For some reason, the first thing that comes to mind is the Despoiler of Flesh major artifact from Book of Vile Darkness, which would require an epic quest

Gavinfoxx
2012-10-11, 04:31 PM
Don't use the default Vampire.

WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT USE THE VAMPIRE AS PRESENTED IN THE BOOKS!!

Use a homebrew variant, balanced for player character use.

Like this.

http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=709.msg3773#msg3773