PDA

View Full Version : Duskblade of vengence

Ranting Fool
2012-10-10, 06:04 AM
Hello Playground, a little help building a character would be welcome :smallsmile:

A mate of mine will be joining our existing long-ish running campaign and he hasn't really played D&D before (other then a few mini sessions) and he'll be jumping in the deep-ish end at level 11.

He really likes the look of a Duskblade so me (DM) and the other player will be making some pre-made characters for him (Stats, as he has the fluff sorted) so he doesn't get overloaded with the options available to him. So since I will be making 3 or so characters this week I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone has a favored build. (He will be in a party with a Knight/Dragon rider, Wizard, Warlock, Ranger/Dragonslayer)

Level 11, CG.
32 point buy out.
He likes the idea of a Duskblade but any Warrior heavy with a touch of wizard might go down equally well.
66,000gp to buy gear with (Though things that give a constant buff rather then one use items will be better to start with)
Might want to ride exotic or flying mounts in the future.

All suggestions welcome:smallsmile:

ThiagoMartell
2012-10-10, 07:22 AM
One of my favorite level 11 Duskblade builds is Duskblade 5/Shou Disciple 1/Suel Arcanamach 4/Abjurant Champion 1. Feats required are Sun School, Snap Kick and Planar Touchstone (oxyrynchus).

As a standard action, you use a spell, of course. Then you teleport into range and get two attacks (three if the target is flatfooted) out of it. Suel Arcanamach gets more buffs (Duskblade is kinda lacking in that department), Abjurant Champion is seasoning, Shou Disciple is there to get Sun School.

If you really focus on the teleporting aspect (say, Shape Soulmeld (Blink Shirt) + Open Chakra and Hidden Talent Dimension Hop) you can teleport 2-3 times a round and get 2-3 attacks out of each one.

Basically, the point is that Duskblade qualifies easily to Shou Disciple and from then it can take advantage of Sun School.

Starbuck_II
2012-10-10, 10:18 AM
One of my favorite level 11 Duskblade builds is Duskblade 5/Shou Disciple 1/Suel Arcanamach 4/Abjurant Champion 1. Feats required are Sun School, Snap Kick and Planar Touchstone (oxyrynchus).

As a standard action, you use a spell, of course. Then you teleport into range and get two attacks (three if the target is flatfooted) out of it. Suel Arcanamach gets more buffs (Duskblade is kinda lacking in that department), Abjurant Champion is seasoning, Shou Disciple is there to get Sun School.

If you really focus on the teleporting aspect (say, Shape Soulmeld (Blink Shirt) + Open Chakra and Hidden Talent Dimension Hop) you can teleport 2-3 times a round and get 2-3 attacks out of each one.

Basically, the point is that Duskblade qualifies easily to Shou Disciple and from then it can take advantage of Sun School.

Sun school: "Flash of Sunset: To use this maneuver, you must move adjacent to a foe instantaneously, as with a dimension door spell or the monk's abundant step class feature. If you do so, you can immediately make a single attack at your highest attack bonus against that foe."

This only grants one attack... how did you get multiple?

Where is Shou found?

BowStreetRunner
2012-10-10, 10:28 AM
I always find that new players to D&D benefit most from beginning with single-classed characters. A Duskblade 5/Shou Disciple 1/Suel Arcanamach 4/Abjurant Champion 1 may be a bit overwhelming for a first-timer, and honestly there is nothing suboptimal about a Duskblade 11. Let him focus on mastering the core class or maybe one prestige class and not go too crazy.

I have always found that the Duskblade is a prime candidate for Knowledge Devotion. It makes up for not having access to the fighter's full weapon focus/weapon specialization track. Even if the Duskblade doesn't max out every Knowledge skill the use of the Collector of Stories skill trick (if allowed by DM) or a set of Scrolls of Uncertain Provenance can make it easy to pull off +3 to +5 attack and damage fairly consistently.

ThiagoMartell
2012-10-11, 11:45 PM
Sun school: "Flash of Sunset: To use this maneuver, you must move adjacent to a foe instantaneously, as with a dimension door spell or the monk's abundant step class feature. If you do so, you can immediately make a single attack at your highest attack bonus against that foe."

This only grants one attack... how did you get multiple?
Snap Kick: every time you get an attack, accept a -2 penalty to get an additional unarmed strike
Planar Touchstone (oxyrynchus): Every time you attack a flat-footed target, take an extra attack at -5 penalty.

Where is Shou found?

Unapproachable East.

Allanimal
2012-10-12, 01:38 AM
I always find that new players to D&D benefit most from beginning with single-classed characters. A Duskblade 5/Shou Disciple 1/Suel Arcanamach 4/Abjurant Champion 1 may be a bit overwhelming for a first-timer, and honestly there is nothing suboptimal about a Duskblade 11. Let him focus on mastering the core class or maybe one prestige class and not go too crazy.

I couldn't agree more. It will be overwhelming enough for a new player to start at 11th level! I would recommend staying away from prestige classes until after 13th, so the Duskblade can channel on a full attack. Or just stay with Duskblade to the end. Depends on how the rest of the party is optimised.

I have always found that the Duskblade is a prime candidate for Knowledge Devotion. It makes up for not having access to the fighter's full weapon focus/weapon specialization track. Even if the Duskblade doesn't max out every Knowledge skill the use of the Collector of Stories skill trick (if allowed by DM) or a set of Scrolls of Uncertain Provenance can make it easy to pull off +3 to +5 attack and damage fairly consistently.

Yes, this too. Investing even 1 skill point in each of the knowledge skills relevant to knowing an enemy, and you get a chance for every enemy. At 11th, the character should be able to do that - it needs a decent intelligence after all.

Other good Duskblade feats are Versatile Spellcaster and Arcane Strike. A reach weapon is nice, too.

Make sure someone helps with spell selection. There are some good ones on the Duskblade list, but also some real clunkers.

panaikhan
2012-10-12, 07:46 AM
Weapons of Spell Storing are GREAT for Duskblades.
Pre-load weapons with things like Shocking Grasp or Touch of Idiocy (my fave vs spellcasters).
Quicken-cast True Strike and max-power-attack with a polearm leaves a crimp in anyone's day. Weapons of Spell-Storing simply add the insult to the injury :smallbiggrin:

docnessuno
2012-10-12, 11:42 AM
CG Human Duskblade 11
Progression behind that: Duskblade +2, then either duskblade +2 / Abjurant champion 5, or abjurant champion 5 / duskblade +2

Stats:
Str 16 +2 (level) +4 (item)
Dex 12
Con 16 +2 (item)
Int 14 +2 (item)
Wis 8
Cha 10

Feats:
H: Exotic weapon proficiency (spiked chain)
1: Power attack
3: Knowledge devotion
6: Leadership or Open
9: Arcane strike or Dragon cohort
12: Open or Arcane strike

Skills:
Concentration 13 ranks
Spellcraft 10 ranks
Ride 10 ranks
K. (arcana) 10 ranks
K. (dungeoneering) 5 ranks
K. (local ) 5 ranks
K. (nature) 5 ranks
K. (religion) 5 ranks
K. (planes) 5 ranks
Collector of stories skill strick.

Leadership mount: 7 HD Giant eagle, or 7HD Giant owl, or 7HD Pegasus or 5HD Unicorn
Dragon cohort mount: Very young copper dragon.

Items:
+2 Full plate [5600 gp]
+1 Animated large steel shield [9120 gp]
+1 bloodstone spiked chain [8325]
Amulet of tears plus Amulet of health +2 [6300 gp]
Belt of giant strenght +4 [16000 gp]
Headband of intellect +2 [4000 gp]
Cloak of resistence +2 [4000 gp]
Handy haversack [2000 gp]
Boots of swift passage [5000 gp]
Metamagic rod, extend, lesser [3000 gp]
Ring of piercing spells [2000 gp]
755 gp

Future shopping list:
Belt of battle on top of the giant strenght one
Ring of spellbattle
Rings of wizardry
Scrolls of uncertain provenience
Gear upgrades

Tips:
Ask your DM if the player is allowed to use the "spell research" procedure to add some existing Sor/Wiz spells to the duskblade list, assuming they are thematically appropriate.
Ask your DM if he would allow the "Intensified Spell" metamagic feat from pathfinder. It's amazing on a duskblade.

umbergod
2012-10-12, 12:24 PM
OP is the DM, so he won't have to clear anything for the new guy with anyone :P

Prime32
2012-10-12, 12:28 PM
He likes the idea of a Duskblade but any Warrior heavy with a touch of wizard might go down equally well.Psychic warrior could be another good choice then.

umbergod
2012-10-12, 01:47 PM
Psychic warrior could be another good choice then.

OP stated psionics are out