PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas

bfm1991
2012-10-10, 11:21 AM
Hey people i am going to be getting back into my book writing but i need some really good ideas for the next story. So let me know what your ideas are.

akma
2012-10-10, 01:44 PM
I don`t think you would see any suggestions here, as people tend to want to develop their ideas themselves.

But just in case, I think you should be more specific: what genres? how dark? tropes you hate, tropes you like, etc.

bfm1991
2012-10-10, 09:32 PM
Thanks for that friendly advice

Tvtyrant
2012-10-10, 09:52 PM
A man and a woman fall in love, but for some social/political/economic reason this is not allowed/possible. They then have to fight to overcome said reason, and either fail or succeed. Bonus points if you can make the reason good enough that the reader isn't sure if discarding it is actually a good idea!

Possible problems:
1. Different ages/social status/mentor relationship.
2. Opposite sides of an ethnic/political conflict-ambassadors daughter syndrome.
3. One of them has a prior relationship which has put relationship phobias.
4. Separated by distance or formerly separated and now having difficulty adjusting to their new relationship.

Haruki-kun
2012-10-10, 09:56 PM
Zombies break out. A small group of people aren't zombies yet. They try to survive.

....what? All the cool kids are doing it. :smallfrown:

Rawhide
2012-10-10, 11:08 PM
Zombies break out. A small group of people aren't zombies yet. They try to survive.

....what? All the cool kids are doing it. :smallfrown:

Zombies break out. A small group of people are zombies already. They try turn humans.

What? Can't we have a story from the other side for once?

Dimonite
2012-10-10, 11:24 PM
It depends on how bizarre you're willing to make this thing. I mean, you could do a story on anything from the giraffe-mantises of Rigel VI to the Attack of the Peanut People. You could write about modern-day dragons hiding in the Bermuda Triangle, the romance of a French courtier in 1670, or a spontaneous combustion plague. The only limit is your imagination, man!

... Actually, don't use the giraffe-mantis one. I might want to use that sometime.

Tvtyrant
2012-10-10, 11:49 PM
Zombies break out. A small group of people are zombies already. They try turn humans.

What? Can't we have a story from the other side for once?

Humans break out and attempt to turn zombies. The zombie survivors have to deal with the superior intellect and weaponry of the humans, who find the zombies repugnant and thus slayable.

scurv
2012-10-10, 11:56 PM
bfm, You could try writing about something you have personal issues with.

Talanic
2012-10-11, 03:09 AM
What are your interests? What do you do? What is your background? What kind of things have you read? In absence of those things I can't really recommend much to you.

Your opening line implies that you've already worked on a book; what was it about? Did you publish it? How was it received and how satisfied were you?

Killer Angel
2012-10-11, 03:14 AM
The zombie survivors have to deal with the superior intellect and weaponry of the humans, who find the zombies repugnant and thus slayable.

Develope further this idea, and basically you'll rewrite I am Legend... :smalltongue:

akma
2012-10-11, 11:47 AM
A man and a woman fall in love, but for some social/political/economic reason this is not allowed/possible. They then have to fight to overcome said reason, and either fail or succeed. Bonus points if you can make the reason good enough that the reader isn't sure if discarding it is actually a good idea!

I think this would work best if it`s a reason most readers will agree is not worth discarding.

Here are some ideas:
A. A crime show episode that includes a teenage boy with a stepmother that he is not inlove with.
B. A romantic plot which doesn`t treat love as a big thing.
C. Puppy apocalypse.

Maxios
2012-10-11, 12:06 PM
C. Puppy apocalypse.
I would totally read a book about that.

Rawhide
2012-10-11, 12:09 PM
C. Puppy apocalypse.

http://i.imgur.com/3Fb3B.jpg

akma
2012-10-11, 01:17 PM

Damn it, I shouldn`t have included puppy apocalypse.

Anyways I call dibs on lolcat apocalypse (I wouldn`t have said anything, but I`m afraid another forum poster would think of it after seeing puppy apocalypse).

Asta Kask
2012-10-11, 01:52 PM
Alice Cooper turns into a 19' tall robot monster that roams the forests polishing mushrooms.

Tvtyrant
2012-10-11, 03:32 PM
Develope further this idea, and basically you'll rewrite I am Legend... :smalltongue:

"The biggest danger was the humans high birthrate. They reproduced too quickly for us to compete with them, as it took roughly 10 of our people under optimal circumstances to defeat one. We are doomed to live in the shadow of their cities, huddling in the dark and awaiting the days when they come for us with fire and hot metal."

Karoht
2012-10-11, 03:40 PM
A topic I haven't seen many people tackle (because it is challenging) and yet would lead into some pretty interesting Sci-fi.

Humanity in a post-scarcity world. Basically, the world of Star Trek.
We've solved food, energy, education, all the boring and crappy tasks are automated. And here is humanity, working hard to better themselves, exploring, researching, learning.
Maybe so a story about someone from our time waking up in a world like this. Say, 200 years from now?

Inglenook
2012-10-11, 06:20 PM
A writer is stumped as to what his next book should be about. With his publishers breathing down his neck, he makes a Faustian deal with the Devil himself to write the book.

Hilarity ensues!

Aedilred
2012-10-11, 07:02 PM
A writer is stumped as to what his next book should be about. With his publishers breathing down his neck, he makes a Faustian deal with the Devil himself to write the book.

Hilarity ensues!
Isn't that basically the plot of I, Lucifer?

Anxe
2012-10-11, 07:23 PM
Cradle for sale. Never used.

Inglenook
2012-10-11, 07:27 PM
Isn't that basically the plot of I, Lucifer?
I'd never heard of this, but now I'll have to add it to my giganto list of books I need to read!

dehro
2012-10-14, 09:57 AM
I'm a teensy bit startled by both the question and the manner in which it is posed.

you give no indication whatsoever about what genre or universe or..well..anything about what you like to write about. you give no indication what other stuff you've written to use as reference..
you are explicitly advised to give us at least something of an idea..thank for the advice and then .. don't follow it.

I have never lacked ideas on what to write when I've set my mind to writing, and I've always at least had a vague idea of my interests and of what I definitely don't care to write about. I also wouldn't want to ask others to outline a plot for me unless it were for a collaborative project or for background work on a gaming/world-building scenario...but that's just me.
if you don't even have a slight idea about what you want to write about and are fishing for ideas from random strangers on the net.. how do you expect to be able to fill even a single page?

I am genuinely stumped.