PDA

View Full Version : Let's build a character together!

Zdrak
2012-10-10, 02:56 PM
Hey forum, let's make a character together!

Ground rules:
- D&D 3.5
- 28 point buy
- ECL 6 (I don't mind if you have a 1-20 build in mind, but assume it's a level 6 character that needs to be played as is)
- Allowed sources: Core, PH2, ToB, Complete ..., Races of ..., SpC, MIC, variant races and classes from Unearthed Arcana.

Here's how it's going to work:
First player assigns a Strength score. The second, Dexterity score, and so on. After 5 scores were assigned, there's obviously only one possible value for Charisma, so we'll go with that. The sixth player chooses a race and applies racial adjustments to attributes.

Each of the next 6 players (or less than 6, if an LA race was chosen) will choose a class for one of levels 1-6, and make all relevant decisions for that level (bonus feats, if any, ACFs, if any, skill points, familiar or animal companion, if any, maneuvers/spells, if any, ability increase at level 4, etc).
Hit points are always maximum for level 1, and half of maximum for each next level.

The next (13th) player will equip the character with standard WBL. The one after that (14th), chooses a name, gender, and the 15th writes a cursory backstory, and we're done!

More rules, well, actually more of guidelines:
- To give as many people as possible a chance to participate, PLEASE DO NOT POST UNLESS AT LEAST THREE PEOPLE POSTED SINCE YOUR LAST POST.
- Please treat this as a serious attempt at character building, and don't deliberately make bad choices with the goal of sabotaging the exercise.
- Having said that, if you believe the person before you made a bad choice, don't yell at them or try to have it overruled, just go with what you have.
- While I encourage you to justify and discuss your past choices, I'd rather you NOT tell the next person(s) in line what to do and which future choices to make.

Here's what we have so far:

Roxanne Rolls, Female Desert Half-Orc

Str 15 (8 point buy, 20 left)
Dex 13 (5 points, 15 left)
Con 12 (4 points, 11 left) +2 racial = 14
Int 10 (2 points, 9 left) -2 racial = 8
Wis 9 (1 point, 8 left)
Cha 15 (8 points) +1 level 4 = 16

Paladin of Freedom 1/Bard 2/Half-Orc Paragon 2/Human Paragon 1
ACF: Bardic Knack variant
Spells known: Detect Magic, Prestidigitation, Summon Instrument (is known to misplace her drums), Mage Hand (to scare other Orcs and prove that she is a powerful Wizzard), Light, Charm Person, Improvization
Feats: Run (Racial Bonus), Power Attack (Level 1), Cleave (level 3), Intimidating Rage (Level 6)
Skills: Ride 4 ranks, Perform (Drums) 4 ranks, Spellcraft 1 rank, Concentration 1 rank, Intimidate 9 ranks [always a class skill due to HP], UMD 1 rank
Skill Tricks: Never Outnumbered
Gear:
+1 Mithral breastplate [5300 gp]
+1 Holy surge greataxe [4320 gp]
Masterwork composite (+2) longbow [600 gp]
100 arrows [5 gp]
5 +1 dispelling arrows (CL10) [830 gp]
Wand of cure light wounds (50/50, divine, CL1) [750 gp]
Cloak of resistance +1 [1000 gp]
Masterwork drums [100 gp]
Misc adventuring gear (backpack, bedroll, flint&steel, 4 days of rations, waterskin) [6 gp]
Holy symbol, silver [25 gp]
2 Holy water flasks [50 gp]
14 gp

Gnome Alone
2012-10-10, 03:18 PM
Huh, this sounds fun. Alright, let me stick my filthy oar in the stew.

Dexterity 13. (5 points, 15 remaining.)

Obviously this character is intended to be pretty martial if it's worth spending the extra 2 points for STR 15. So DEX 13 opens up some good feat trees for martial characters while not using up all of the point buy in case someone decides to go, "screw melee, must have [casting stat]!" So thar we go. Hopefully someone else hasn't posted the Dex already. (EDIT: Yay.)

Madara
2012-10-10, 03:23 PM
Let's have a little fun with this. I can be difficult...

Con 12 (4)(11 points remaining)

Have fun with that playground :smallwink:

Edit: Making sure to point out that there are many ways to work around a low Con score, I'm not trying to sabotage the project.

Madara
2012-10-10, 03:28 PM
As a seperate comment, I want to mention that I changed it because I was using the pathfinder PB rather than 3.5, so I needed to change it. Sorry for the editing :smallredface:

kitcik
2012-10-10, 03:28 PM
Int 10 (2, 9 rem'g)

Because this is a melee build, not a skill monkey, and s/he needs some charisma to get it on.

NotScaryBats
2012-10-10, 03:34 PM
Wis 9 dumped -- s/he wasn't going to be a Monk, right?

You gotta dump somethin', and I love Cha too much to allow that!

Zdrak
2012-10-10, 03:37 PM
Ok, this nets us Str 15, Dex 13, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 15

Carry on.

Diovid
2012-10-10, 03:43 PM
Race: Desert Half-Orc

Which makes the final attributes: Str 15, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 8, Wis 9, Cha 15

Madara
2012-10-10, 03:45 PM
Level: 1

Mr. Half-Orc is gonna start out as a Paladin(Tried to find a spot for the charisma bonus)

Edit: Apperently I pick feats as well and skills.

Feat 1: Power Attack
Skills: Ride 4 ranks

HunterOfJello
2012-10-10, 03:45 PM
Second level is Bard!

(Including Bardic Knack variant.)

HP:
d6+2 = 8 (assuming a rounding up of 3.5)

+0 BAB (unless partial BAB variant is used, then it's 3/4 BAB or something like that)
+0 Fort
+2 Reflex
+2 Will

Spells:
Two 0th Level spells per day

Spells Known (4):
Detect Magic
Prestidigitation
Summon Instrument (is known to misplace his drums)
Mage Hand (to scare other Orcs and prove that he is a powerful Wizzard)

Skills: 5 skill points
Perform (Drums) 3
Concentration 1
Spellcraft 1

Class Features:
Bardic Knack = All skill checks count as trained and are counted as having 1 rank when rolled.
Bardic music
Countersong
FascinateI
nspire courage +1

Armor Proficiencies: Light Armor, Shields
Weapon Proficiencies: Simple + Longsword, Rapier, Sap, Shortsword, Shortbow, and Whip

Zdrak
2012-10-10, 03:46 PM
Eh. I didn't put UA in allowed sources, but I guess no harm in that. Desert Half Orc it is. I'll retroactively add variant races and variant classes to list of allowed sources.

Zdrak
2012-10-10, 03:47 PM
Madara and HunterofJello, please edit your posts for all level-related choices (skills, spells, etc)

Madara
2012-10-10, 03:49 PM
Madara and HunterofJello, please edit your posts for all level-related choices (skills, spells, etc)

I was doing so as you mentioned it. I almost feel like you could divide up feat choices and class choices.

Diovid
2012-10-10, 03:49 PM
Eh. I didn't put UA in allowed sources, but I guess no harm in that. Desert Half Orc it is. I'll retroactively add variant races and variant classes to list of allowed sources.
Je m'excuse. I just assumed..

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-10-10, 03:50 PM
Half-Orc Paragon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/racialParagonClasses.htm#halfOrcParagon) 3 at 3-5, 3rd level feat is Wild Cohort (or Cleave if it's not allowed), skills are max Intimidate, Never Outnumbered skill trick, trade Ride for Tumble (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a) and get 5 ranks, everything else in Survival.

Zdrak
2012-10-10, 03:57 PM
Unfortunately, I can't accept most of the above ^^^^ for two reasons.

First, please don't choose three levels in a row. Second, Skilled City Dweller is a level 1 ACF. If it wasn't chosen on level 1, then it wasn't chosen. It might be frustrating if it's something you need for a build, but that's the point of collaborative charbuilding.

Madara
2012-10-10, 03:57 PM
Half-Orc Paragon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/racialParagonClasses.htm#halfOrcParagon) 3 at 3-5, 3rd level feat is Wild Cohort (or Cleave if it's not allowed), skills are max Intimidate, Never Outnumbered skill trick, trade Ride for Tumble (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a) and get 5 ranks, everything else in Survival.

Only pick one level, not 3

kitcik
2012-10-10, 04:03 PM
Second level is Bard!

Melee bard yay!

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-10-10, 04:04 PM
Unfortunately, I can't accept most of the above ^^^^ for two reasons.

First, please don't choose three levels in a row. Second, Skilled City Dweller is a level 1 ACF. If it wasn't chosen on level 1, then it wasn't chosen. It might be frustrating if it's something you need for a build, but that's the point of collaborative charbuilding.

I was thinking it was class level 1st, but I guess you're right about that.

Half-Orc Paragon 1, everything into Intimidate, Cleave.

Zdrak
2012-10-10, 04:07 PM
Ok, first post was updated. Next poster, remember the level 4 ability increase in addition to all class features and all that jazz.

Ardantis
2012-10-10, 04:33 PM
Level 4!

Stat upgrade: Cha +1

Class: Human Paragon

Adaptive Learning: Intimidate as permanent class skill

Base Attack Bonus: +0

Fort Save: +0
Reflex Save: +0
Will Save: +2

4 Skill Points- Intimidate +4

Edit: See Half-Orc Paragon Divided Ancestry ability- A Half-Orc Paragon may take levels in either Human Paragon or Orc Paragon after taking at least one level in Half-Orc Paragon, but once he has chosen one he may not take levels in the other.

Zdrak
2012-10-10, 04:38 PM
Only 3 skill points (Int 8, and despite of taking the Human Paragon class, he doesn't get the human skill bonus), but otherwise good. OP updated. I feel an Intimidate-focused build coming up ... Cha 16, 6 ranks, Monstrous Mien makes for +13 Intimidate so far.

AuraTwilight
2012-10-10, 05:01 PM
I'll give a second level of Bard, giving him +1 BAB, +1 Reflex, +1 Will, and the spell Light.

He WILL lose his lantern at some point. Better be prepared for it.

Zdrak
2012-10-10, 05:03 PM
I'll give a second level of Bard, giving him +1 BAB, +1 Reflex, +1 Will, and the spell Light.

He WILL lose his lantern at some point. Better be prepared for it.

Also 2 1st level spells known... and skill pointz

docnessuno
2012-10-10, 06:09 PM
Unless we assume an alignment change, bard and palading have conflicting requirements.

If we do assume it, then i'll go with:
Orc paragon 1
+1 BAB, +2 Fort, +1 rank in intimidate, 30ft darkvision, +7 HP

If we assume no alignment restrictions, i'll go with:
Paladin 2
+1 BAB, +1 Fort, +1 rank in intimidate, Divine grace, Lay on hands, +7 HP

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-10-10, 06:23 PM
Unless we assume an alignment change, bard and palading have conflicting requirements.

If we do assume it, then i'll go with:
Orc paragon 1
+1 BAB, +2 Fort, +1 rank in intimidate, 30ft darkvision, +7 HP

If we assume no alignment restrictions, i'll go with:
Paladin 2
+1 BAB, +1 Fort, +1 rank in intimidate, Divine grace, Lay on hands, +7 HP

If you give him Devoted Performer for his 6th level feat, it allows him to be a lawful-aligned bard.

You actually can't take any Orc Paragon levels, as Half-Orc Paragon allows you to take either Orc Paragon or Human Paragon but not both, and he already has Human Paragon.

docnessuno
2012-10-10, 06:44 PM
Hmm my bad, i forgot the half-orc paragon restriction :smallfurious:

In this case i'll modify the "alignment change" option to:
Half-Orc paragon 2
+1 BAB, +1 Fort, +1 rank in intimidate and perform, rage 1/day, +6 HP and the Intimidating Rage feat.

The feat for the paladin version shall be Devoted Performer.

By RAW the character still cannot qualify for devoted performer unless we ignore bard's alignment restriction, he lost his LG alignment to be able to enter bard, so he also lost smite evil, as per the fallen paladin rules.

Zdrak
2012-10-10, 08:03 PM
First post updated. Still missing skill points and 1st level spells from the Bard level. Which I will actually now choose, sue me.

Intimidate 2 ranks (to max out at 9), Never Outnumbered Skill Trick, UMD 1 rank
Charm Person.
Improvisation.

All's left is gear, name, gender, and backstory.

Arcanist
2012-10-10, 10:37 PM
First post updated. Still missing skill points and 1st level spells from the Bard level. Which I will actually now choose, sue me.

Intimidate 2 ranks (to max out at 9), Never Outnumbered Skill Trick, UMD 1 rank
Charm Person.
Improvisation.

All's left is gear, name, gender, and backstory.

Female! :smallbiggrin:

kitcik
2012-10-11, 09:29 AM
Roxanne Rolls

Gnome Alone
2012-10-11, 12:16 PM
Hey, by way of clarification plus slightly contributing to this character's backstory, I'm assuming that Roxanne here is a Paladin of Freedom (from Unearthed Arcana, I think) and thus Chaotic Good, right? That would work best with bard - so we've got a lady half-orc wandering the desert, playing the drums and righting wrongs?

kitcik
2012-10-11, 12:46 PM
Hey, by way of clarification plus slightly contributing to this character's backstory, I'm assuming that Roxanne here is a Paladin of Freedom (from Unearthed Arcana, I think) and thus Chaotic Good, right? That would work best with bard - so we've got a lady half-orc wandering the desert, playing the drums and righting wrongs?

I like it.

Zdrak
2012-10-11, 03:17 PM

I can roll with that.

docnessuno
2012-10-11, 06:35 PM
Since you all skipped the equipment section i'll do it!

WBL: 13K gp

+1 Mithral breastplate [5300 gp]
+1 Holy surge greataxe [4320 gp]
Masterwork composite (+2) longbow [600 gp]
100 arrows [5 gp]
5 +1 dispelling arrows (CL10) [830 gp]
Wand of cure light wounds (50/50, divine, CL1) [750 gp]
Cloak of resistance +1 [1000 gp]
Masterwork drums [100 gp]
Misc adventuring gear (backpack, bedroll, flint&steel, 4 days of rations, waterskin) [6 gp]
Holy symbol, silver [25 gp]
2 Holy water flasks [50 gp]
14 gp

Shinovar
2012-10-12, 09:44 PM
Just so everyone knows, I love this idea and I am sad I missed it.

Zdrak
2012-10-12, 10:04 PM
You didn't miss it, you can still participate by fleshing her backstory/personality. And, I'll start a new thread soon, stay tuned!