PDA

View Full Version : Your first D&D Character

MichaelGoldclaw
2012-10-10, 07:20 PM
Tell us about you 1st character and maybe some fond memories

Nicoli Goldclaw- Human Dragon Shaman (gold totem)
LG
Longsword with heavy steel spiked shield. Full plate

natural 20 on a very hard sence motive check

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257816

Cult leader with many buffs applying for bluff (neither known at the time)
"you'll be safe trust me"

natural 20 scene motive

"F*** No"

to quote my father, the DM "He can beat you in a one on one fight with that 2 hp per turn ablity"

Grundy
2012-10-10, 07:41 PM
My first character was in ad&d, and he was a paladin-illusionist....

What can I say? I was 9 years old! He didn't really do much, but I drew a lot of pictures of him, and gave him a bunch of magic items, mostly based around tricking people.

Needless to say the DM was my buddy, who was 9 as well. We didn't have a real firm grasp of the rules, or what a paladin was all about.

Hylas
2012-10-10, 07:59 PM
3.5 Human Bard

His stats were all lower than anyone else.
I managed to roll a 1 on my HP each level up. The highest my character got to was level 3 before the campaign ended. I had a whopping 8 HP at that point.
I saw that "whip" was on the proficiency list, and having fond memories of Secret of Mana totally snatched that up. I also saw that whips gave a +2 to disarm, so yeah, if you can take away someone's weapon then they can't fight back! It's a perfect build! Obviously got combat expertise and improved disarm.

At second level during a skirmish a bandit ran up to me. Obviously it's time for a disarm! However a botched roll let him counter with a disarm against me, which left me completely helpless. I tried to pick up my weapon but that provoked an AoO, which instantly killed me from max HP.

The DM felt sorry for me and resurrected me with no penalty at the next druid enclave that we got to.

At third level there was a session where most of the players weren't in the mood for the main story, so the DM prepared an "arena" session where we just took our characters to fight a team of same leveled adventurers. The outcome wouldn't affect our campaign, it was mostly just combat exercise.

1st round, the enemy wizard wins initiative and throws a 3d6 fireball at my bard, instantly taking him out him from full HP. Again.

Right when I was about to get to 4th level, I had missed a few sessions and was a little lower than the rest of the party. When I came back the session effectively started with a dragon coming from (at least from my perspective) nowhere. The DM told me I could not disarm the dragon, but it didn't matter because 2 rounds in the dragon breathed fire on me, causing death from full HP to 0. Again.

5 years later I watch The Dorkness Rising and have a jolly good laugh at the story they obviously took from my life. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOUksDJCijw&t=1h1m40s)

Medic!
2012-10-11, 12:39 AM
My first was a half-elf rogue with a druid and a mercenary fighter in the group. We started at lvl 6 and hit a back-alley with a deck of many things in our 3rd session...

After several draws on everyone's part, I was naked with a fistfull of wishes, while the other two had each died once and ended up at level 18 from boatloads of free xp. I used one wish for my own deck of many things, two wishes to bring back each party member, and one wish to gain the ability to polymorph myself at will.

After running about town re-gearing myself in shops by promising draws from my deck to shop owners (resulting in most of them getting piles of gems/coins, and one being trapped in another dimension), we set out adventuring again, and I spent most of the time polymorphed into a spider on the ceiling to survive the newly-adjusted fights.

Then I was disintigrated by a lich...good times :smallcool:

EDIT: <3 The Gamers....at our table nobody can make a bard without multiple "seduction" rolls and attempts to use bards as tower shields.

Slipperychicken
2012-10-11, 01:04 AM
3.5e Human Crusader. Longsword + Tower Shield. Very good stat rolls.

I was going to play him as basically a Paladin (was going to play a "real" Pally, but my brother set me on the right path with ToB). So I built him with a bunch of ties to the setting (fanatical devotion to the Generic Kingdom, too), with a love for horses, riding, and fish. The party was transported into the future, where everyone he knew was dead, his horse was gone (I even gave it a name :smallfrown:), people didn't use horses anymore, and the Kingdom he pledged his life for was erased from history. He was starting to develop alcoholism (extreme shock from being transported into the future) until the game crashed OOC.

I've literally never fleshed out a character (roleplaying-wise) that much ever since.

Deathkeeper
2012-10-11, 01:12 AM
I won't count my days with 3.5, since I didn't make those characters. And I don't remember them.

But yeah, Pathfinder. Jacen Vallarm, NG Human Sorcerer (Arcane Bloodline), along with Pseudodragon familiar, Zebes.
I mostly just used buffs and blaster spells, wasn't going to go all godly-mage in my first real campaign. GM let Zebes have the Taunt feat...he spammed that, even though it rarely worked.

Notable moments included doing a double Perform check to play Piano Man, copious amounts of snark from both characters, and some of the worst puns I've ever come up with.

Morph Bark
2012-10-11, 05:15 AM
Myrrdin Nightlark, Half-Fiend Drow Rogue 4//Wizard 4. Died sneak attacking a Nycaloth.

He had Int 32.

Yes this was before I went on the internet to find out what wizards were good at. He was also a DMPC, so it was all okay. The rest of the party ended up wanting to reincarnate him though, and so they did. The nigh-invincible paladin (who was a half-dragon woodling human) nearly died twice in a fight against a tree guarding the source of the oil necessary for reincarnation.

Q. Flestrin
2012-10-11, 06:02 AM
I'm pretty sure my first character was Finn O'Cullamie, a 4th edition halfling rogue. My concept was that something nasty had happened in his past (which I either don't remember or left it deliberately undefined), and now he was bitter, bitingly sarcastic, and gloomy. Never worked out, because everybody else was a strict kicker in of doors. Now I'm feeling like Finn.
Finn was turned into Nimbalo of the Joren Fields, a 4th edition halfling cleric of Pelor, because our regular cleric left. He was from the fields of a long-dead giant, so I could have him live in a field-mouse style basket nest and have been hunted by a giant cat. He was supposed to be claustrophobic, nyctophobic, a lover of baking, and deeply attached to his friends. Again, I couldn't roleplay.
After more people left, Nimbalo turned into Spikkim Noccaroon Palitang, a 4th edition gnome bard, who was the only 4th edition character I enjoyed playing, despite the fact that he sucked gamewise. Spikkim was cheerful, a little bit gullible, and relied too heavily on the 3.5 assumptions about the world. This meant that when he encountered a gold dragon, he never even thought that it could be the undead uberboss in disguise. He also once (this is true) saw that some satyrs had laid out a banquet, so he ate and made merry. This caused him to get drunk, at which point the satyrs attacked. (In case you don't know, 3.5 satyrs are pretty much always friendly, rarely attacking.) When they attacked, Spikkim ended up hiding in the pool breathing through an orc's bladder, and trying to insult them without being seen. He still got shot full of arrows.
So I guess I gave you three. But they were just my character in one episodic campaign, who got changed to reflect a changing party.

Lord Il Palazzo
2012-10-11, 08:28 AM
I know I've posted this before, but my first character was Tolsemir Elfchild, a human cleric of Corellon Larethian whose entire backstory was a paper-thin excuse for him being a human cleric of the elf god. He had no real motivation or goals and I couldn't decide how I wanted to play him and did a poor job with everything he tried. He had a few good moments but was usually just a healbot who occasionally tried (and failed) to take up summoning, blasting or melee.

In the last fight, I was grappled by a barbed devil and had to make my first concentration check of the game while trying to cast. That's when I realized that concentration might have been a kind of important skill and that I should have had more than a +8 in it. The fight didn't end well for me.

PaperMustache
2012-10-11, 08:50 AM
The first character I ever made was from 4e. I have not played 4e since, I play pathfinder, so I have no idea exactly how bad this character was. She was a halfling warlock. I still have little to no idea what she was really for, the DM was really bad at explaining the game to a table full of newbies. I think I gave her extra con so that she could drink more. I thought alchoholism was a character concept. I was told I could have a certain amount of magic items but I didn't understand how gold worked or what they did so I just took boots that let me walk on water and two other items. It turned out the boots were more expensive than the two other (more usefull) items combined. The following conversation insued:

DM: Boots of Water Walking? Do you really need those?
Me: Yes.
DM: I'm kind of writing the campaign, I can pretty much tell you you're not going to need this.
Me: But they're cool. I can be GOD... because of my SHOES.
DM: ...

Basically everyone involved thought alchoholism was a character concept as well. We walked into one dungeon. The ranger shot the fighter (I think?) in the back on accident, then we got confused by a rock in the middle of the room, then we all fell down a pit trap. It pretty much devolved into immature jokes and the DM never wanting to do that again.

Q. Flestrin
2012-10-11, 10:35 AM
Basically everyone involved thought alchoholism was a character concept as well. We walked into one dungeon. The ranger shot the fighter (I think?) in the back on accident, then we got confused by a rock in the middle of the room, then we all fell down a pit trap. It pretty much devolved into immature jokes and the DM never wanting to do that again.
That puts the group I played in to shame. The only thing that came close was the eladrin :smallfurious: (I hate 4E eladrin) wizard trying to hug all the monsters.

Jane_Smith
2012-10-11, 10:51 AM
Hm, playing 3.0 and 3.5 for so many years I can't remember my first character. I think it was a half-dragon human fighter mimicing the legend of dragoon ps1 game that had a special magic item the dm allowed me to switch the template off/on, or at least hide my traits. The game did not go very far however. Her name was Natalia something.

However, the proudest character I have ever made, was Hex, a changeling witch, see the spoiler for details, its kinda big.

For pathfinder, first character I got to fully play out was a changeling witch a few months ago. She had no real name, as nobody ever gave her one. Her mother, Gortha, a powerful and ancient hag, created her, devoured a child in a small village and left my character there as a child in the bloodied crib. The people were horrified and tried to kill me, but I was spared by the kindly intervention of the mayor, the tavern owner and the local butcher who calmed the growing mob before things got nasty. She was raised by the tavern owner, an elderly woman by the name of Helana , who was in secret also a witch and a distant, former apprentice, of Gortha. She was an actual kind woman, not bluffing it, and taught my character the art of witchcraft in secret. I gained a name all this time; simply "Hex" as the villagers called me as an attempt to insult me.

Ends up, mother had plans, and had begun to attack the village in secret to cause famine, butchering livestock, cursing people, etc for the specific purpose of having the village become more untrusting and hostile towards me, and ended up framing me for them. At the time i was living outside of town, the younger villagers formed a lynch mob, attacked Helana to learn where I was after they raided my house and could not find me (due to a panic room under a tree I set up). The leader of the mob, Jacob, was one of my mothers victim's, she had alter-self apparently as me, seduced him, and in the bedroom apparently horrified and nearly killed him by raking off his you know what. Needless to say, he was not in a good mood and was about to kill Helana - that was when the other player was introduced, a dhampir paladin.

I forgot his name, it was real fancy elf-like, despite him having no elven connections. He was a renegade and neutral-good paladin (the dm allowed any-good to be paladins) who fell from grace from his church after one of the pastors tried to send him on a suicide mission (and failed). Rather then kill the pastor, he left and was traveling to find work or some purpose in life. Seeing an elderly woman about to be kicked to death, he rushed in and proceeded to beat the all living hell out of Jacob and his armed buddies with the flat end of his greatsword. He guessed the situation was bad and lied (again, non-lawful paladin) and told them he had been sent to aid them in there difficult times, but for them not to lose there way and kill there own kin, etc (Careful when hunting monsters, or you will become one essentially). They explained the situation to him after an epic nat 20 bluff and they treated him as some kinda god send (which he may have been, gods are weird). He listened and decided that he would search for the witch that had plagued them and deal with the situation, and convinced Helana he would spare her if she was truly not to blame, as was his duty to find out (not really, but, bluff ftw). She buckled in, seeing he was a sensible man at least, and told him in private about my panic room. Without telling the mob where I was, he left into the mere and found my overgrown shack. I had a small clearing for a yard and an old shed I made into a house, and my familiar was a cat missing its left eye named Tin Tim. The cat followed him around and he could not find how to get under the tree, there was no pit or ladder or any obvious entrance. The dm allowed odd/unique uses of magic if you had a spell of a relevant type to perform it, and I had a small illusion covering the ladder drop in my room under the bed. The paladin discovered it and me in my house-under-my-shed and did the first thing any paladin does - LOL DETECT EVIL X-RAY. Came up negative, I was true neutral and simply wanted to be left alone.

Well after scaring me to death (the dm had us separate for the encounters until that point, so I had no idea some dhampir in warrior stuff was coming), he asked me some questions, took 20 on sense motive and looked around and found I was doing nothing to bad. He had a rank in spellcraft and looked over my little projects and found nothing related to what had been plagueing the townsfolk, so he swore he would protect me from them and settle things down. That is when the ogrekin appeared. A crashing sound above made us investigate what was going on, and that was when the 3rd player appeared with his npc-brother, Kretch and Detch, human ogrekin barbarians. (Yes, it was a 1st-level game, but the dm was incredibly open minded and made them him take an extra flaw for the powerful race - his mutation was just he was more stupid then the typical ogrekin). They were sent by Gortha to capture me and "save" me from the village mobs, by force. The paladin and me defended ourselves and killed Detch, but Kretch surrendered.

He was chaotic neutral, so the paladin decided to take his chances and interrogate the sheepish ogrekin - and he revealed that "aunt gortha" and "mommy ran" wanted me to become there sister, and things started clicking together. The ogre admited him and his brother were sent to kill the livestock at night with some fancy see-threw drink they drunk Gortha gave them, and the fire at the church, etc, but said he was sorry because he was just doing what "mummy ran" told him to do - follow gortha's orders for a reward. We bring him, tied up to the town and have him explain it to them, and I am finally freed of any doubts about my involvement, and the paladin uses his 18 charisma to have them spare the ogre sense he came along willingly and could prove useful in finding Gortha. The mayor agreed, and we paid Kretch with enough meat from the butcher to feed a small army to make him more then helpful, and gladly leads us and the mob to Gortha's hidden lair.

With Kretch we finally figure out what she was attempting to do - being almost a thousand years old, this was nothing more then a passing hobby to her. She birthed me and had attempted to turn the town against me over the years as an experiment to have me become vindictive and spiteful towards the villagers, but was unaware of Helana's or the paladin's interventions to keep my spirit from breaking. If all had gone to plan, she would have arrived to look like the "hag in shining armor" and offered me a place as her "sister" in her coven, as the third hag had long ago been slain by the village, and together again, the coven would have destroyed the village and went about there evil lives. Apparently, the village priest, knew about Gortha's shadowy past, and she has been a constant thorn in the side of the villages sense its founding, but was thought killed years ago along with HER TWO SISTERS - this is when we figure out Ran was killed as well some time ago, and Gortha had been disguising herself to control her clan of ogrekin children as loyal servants. Kretch goes furious at this, and the mob is off with a ogre siege weapon at the lead.

We get ambushed by Gortha along the way who's animal spies spotted us coming, and using a um.. I forgot the name, but some kinda grey bag to pull out several wolves to flank and attack the mob, and uses her powers to have skeletons dig themselves out of the ground from below and attack us. The entire area around the sunken tower she laired in deep in the swamp as a giant death trap, and the going was slow and painful even with like 12 militia, jacob, the priest, an ogrekin, a paladin and witch. 3-4 of the militiamen died along the way, but we finally arrived at the tower and kicked in the door. Kretch gave absolutely no ****'s about the possible danger/traps, enraged, and charged up the 4 floors when we found Ran's preserved head in a cabnit. We did not have much time to investigate those floors, but most had horrid experiments or human skulls, bottled eyes, the typical nasty stuff laying around. Kretch gets to the roof of the tower after setting off 2-3 traps, he has a few scratches and needles stuck in him but he doesn't care. We find gortha on the roof with a few skeleton archers in a position to fire on us, Kretch tanks them and we destroy them, but thats when we find out something painful.

Gortha is a 900ish year old hag. And we are all level 1 (Even kretch with like 30 hit points and op as hell got his butt literally handed to him). Gortha grew like, 2 foot long steel-like claws and came at us, and the dm apparently gave her the ability to act twice in a round. The militia was downstairs to make sure she didn't make a run for it and to keep the skeletons from coming to her aid, so we were not getting backup. I put a few curses on Gortha to soften her HIDEOUSLY damaging claws in check after she did like 12 damage to the paladin in a single round with a single successful hit, and we were panicking. He scores a critical hit smite evil in Gortha's face and the dm says it took out one of her eyes, and she went rabid and charged past the paladin and ogre at me in the back, they managed to smack her and soften her up even more, but...

Thats when she nailed me. With both claws to the gut. As a sadistic "I win even if I lose" moment, she bestowed a death curse on me. The kind that can't be cured so easily even with a break curse spell. She cursed me with infertility, -6 to my strength and constitution, and fatigue if I performed any skill check that required strength or the run option even once, and the whole like 18 damage I took when I only had like 12. I was dying and on deaths door, the ogre, still enraged, basically says "YOU HURT SQUISHY", and performs a called shot (he had improved unarmed strikes) and grabs Gortha, lifts her up over his head, and does a like 1d6+10ish damage unarmed strike to HER SPINE over his knee. The dm allows it after he rolls a like 17 on the combat maneuver check and a high attack roll, and Gortha snaps like a twig. Still alive, Kretch THROWS HER off a 5-story high ancient tower down about 45-50 feet face-first into the mud with her tangled body. She tries to go invisible, but the dm has Kretch and the paladin use perception checks to see her clearly - the outline of her body dragging threw the mud as she tries to claw away. The paladin had stablized me, and then proceded to jump OFF the tower and perform a charge action/dive with a full on power attack, to do the final blow to gortha and cut her in half.

After it was all said and done, I woke up the next day to find the village celebrating, several people like Jacob coming to my bedside to ask forgiveness for how they treated me, etc, and Kretch guarding the front door like a giant door stopper. All he had to do was lean back and nobody could get in to bother my rest. The paladin came to see me, and the priest and the town herbalist had healed me completely, but the curse was rather potent and, with only 6 con, I was essentially more frail then paper. The paladin talked with the mayor and learned that the only person who might be able to cure this condition was the archmage in a city further on to the north, where the paladin originally served in a temple (so it was going home for him), and gave him a introduction letter to give, and awarded us with an extremely nice house wagon, fully loaded with supplies, horses, bedding, etc for the trip. Kretch, deciding that all the hags were dead, mourned for his mother and decided he had nowhere else to go and nobody to serve, and was a RUNT to his clan, so he decided to stick with us. The paladin swore he would see this over, at that point, a relationship was budding between us, so decided to act as my escort to the city, and we finally hit level 2 as we left the village and were on are way to seeking a cure.

Sadly, real life events happened, and the game ended there.

Obviously, there was side quests during that whole thing. The paladin helped the local herbalist get some flowers from my raided house/back yard he spotted when looking for a way to find me, Kretch ended up discovering he had a thing for human women and wanted to go to the city to find himself a wife, Jacob joined us as a npc mini-cohort as a way of redeeming himself for attacking Helana and wanting to kill me (we were childhood friends), the paladin led a sermon in place of the elder priest who could hardly move anymore and boosted the towns trust in him and its morale, etc. It was an amazing game, and memorable.

Oh, and in case your wondering "Wait, if ran was dead as well, wouldn't gortha need 2 replacements to form a coven?" Well, lets just say the dm had some fun ideas and was extremely good at merging our odd back stories together. I figure he had planned to focus the first, second, and third stories/etc on each of us at a time to fluff us out and give us more character depth, like the city story/etc would have been around the paladin, after that something to do with the ogre.

Morithias
2012-10-11, 11:12 AM
A blonde haired, blue eyes, 18 charisma, sexy dread necromancer, who was a real flirty guy who could lay all the girls.

Riverdance
2012-10-11, 11:37 AM
3.5 Hound Archon Ranger wielding a vorpal greatsword. I was the classic munchkin, and didn't even close to understand the idea of actual role-playing. I just went through the books and made the most powerful character I could think of given my cash range.

Winter_Wolf
2012-10-11, 12:07 PM
My first character? Cannot remember, I made a lot of 'em. First one I can remember was 2E, an elven fighter/thief (because the party had a ranger, even though my stats were just barely good enough to meet the prerequistes). Bodak the Destroyer. Died because I put not enough points into things like trapfinding. Died again when he fell off a wall and into an army of undead below. Stayed dead after that. He was a bit of a coward, but then again he had crappy crappy hit points and had to stick to light armor. Plus his dex was maxed out and his strength wasn't great. Killed a lot of gobbos with a longbow from the high branches in trees, though.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-10-11, 12:13 PM
First character was a full blooded orc barbarian who wielded an orc double axe, can't remember much of him except that I failed a will save and eviscerated another player's character with two lucky crits.... it was awesome because rolling two natural 20 in a row is awesome (we had a houserule that a nat 20 didn't have to confirm crit) and I hated the owner of the character.

Erasmas
2012-10-11, 12:33 PM
The first character I ever played was in 1st Edition. He was a human cleric named Dartanion (an Anglicized version of the Musketeer).

About the funniest thing that happened with that group was my character taking pity on an imprisoned medusa that we found very, very deep in a dungeon. So, shielding my eyes, I slid some of my rations into her cell because it didn't look like anyone was taking care of her. Less than half an hour later, the rest of the party vetoed my decision and flung a fireball into her cell via the small barred window at eye-level. Now... in 1st edition, fireball didn't simply flashburn everything in its radius... it actually filled up a set amount of volume. So, in this instance, it blew the door off of its hinges and down the hallway... along with my two fireball-ing party members riding it on their backsides.

However, while that game was fun... we only played one session every six months or so. I truly fell in love with the game playing 2nd edition in the college drama department. And for that game, I played a half-elven cleric of the goddess of fire (this time played much more combat-oriented) named Erasmas Pherno.

The good times with him are far too many to name in great detail. But they were things like: narrowly escaping a bone-crushing trap by diving out of the rear captain's window of a ship, being cornered in the back room of a weapons shop by a massive horde of zombies (and promptly turning all of them... with a little help from my goddess and some good die rolls), and bringing our insane mage back from the brink of making a deal with a devil.

BootStrapTommy
2012-10-11, 02:55 PM
First character I made was a 2.0 cleric. Long, long ago in memories far,far away. Not much to be said about that. I was just young, clueless, and drawn in by the EVIL OCCULT.

When I got back into D&D much later, the first character I truly made was Mosaham Abramose, a Chaotic Good Half-Elf Dragonsong Lyricist/Dragon Rider. Ran that campaign to epic levels, testing the limits of the then new 3.5. Broke as many rules as I followed. Mosaham now frequently appears as a quest giving NPC, because no party would in their right mind pick a fight with him.

The most recently fitted NPC version of him is close to a god in levels, though the original made it to only 29th level before I grew tired of how ridiculous he had become.

All that being stressed, fond moments included: succeeding at the diplomacy check that earn him the dragon mount necessary for the dragon rider class, later discovering that mount was actually a dragon-god, having to gouge out his own eye as a sign of faith to the god of magic, getting the god of magic's eye to replace the one he gouged out, fighting and defeating the god of death (thanks to the new eye), being declared Knight-Captain of the Order of Dragon Knights and Lord of the pile of rubble that was once a city named Orquacourt, and eventually declaring war on the necromancer who was his party member through most of this and the necromancer's planar kingdom.

Like I said, ridiculous.

MrLemon
2012-10-11, 03:35 PM
That would be Vaydran, a TWF Rogue/Fighter/Thief-Acrobat, and he is still in play, currently at level 15.
I plan to sacrifice him during the next session or the one after (we tend to stall epicly from time to time)

Incidentally, I have problems coming up with a replacement that is not too high-OP for my group (Though I did "awaken" our party druid to her own power recently), and is more interesting than a non-ToB melee fighter:smallamused:

Kornaki
2012-10-11, 03:39 PM
My very first character was a gnome illusionist. The DM never explained that wizards don't get the automatic 2 spells per level and I had to actually get them. "Where can I get them?" I asked. He replied "I usually don't give out spells so wizards don't get overpowered".

I memorized a lot of color sprays that day.

The first character I enjoyed playing was a half orc barbarian named Ogg (basically exactly the same as Thog in the comic) He went from level 1 to 25ish in the campaign that we played - the best moments were

1) The party wizard went ethereal and then died in that state (a monster made him ethereal so we couldn't help him) - an ethereal rogue then entered the room from nowhere and stole his body. I tracked him down to a bar in the astral plane, and we dueled then and there. My brother the DM figured "level 15 barbarian vs level 19 rogue, should be easy to kill Ogg here". Uncanny dodge helped a lot... of course the rogue started using summon monster scrolls to flank me (in retrospect, I'm pretty sure the rogue was lower level until he looked at uncanny dodge), but it turns out a level 15 barbarian has very little trouble killing summon monster 2 creatures. I killed the rogue and got ridiculous xp and loot for it.

2) We found gloves that let me double my strength (not the strength modifier, my base strength score) for a ridiculous number of rounds per day. I don't know where my brother found this item, but I told him it was way overpowered, and nerfed it on my own to only operate 5 rounds per day. Since I was already the highest level and richest character because of the rogue fight, our days usually went
- find enemies
- strength bonus, rage, great cleave
five times, then rest. I also had an intelligent breastplate that was imbued with the spirit of a dead barbarian, and essentially had the same personality as me. This came in handy when we had to fight a giant snake god (we weren't supposed to, so my brother figured this was a good time to kill my OPed character). He bit me and his crazy poison knocked my soul unconscious, so the breasplate took over my body and unloaded for 800 damage in the first round. I'm still unclear whether intelligent items are allowed to do this by RAW but I had a good bluff check against the DM

Lentrax
2012-10-11, 03:43 PM
My very first character that I rolled and built on my own was Arctus, an Armsman from the WoT RPG.

We had a few good times with that campaign, including leaping from burning buildings, getting thrown around by a Black sister using Arms of Air, and running barefoot into the snow to track down the Aes Sedai I was bonded to.

Good times.

ghost_warlock
2012-10-11, 04:27 PM
My first was a D&D Black Box human thief created using the "Dragon Cards" in the boxed set and advanced with the Rules Cyclopedia. Neutral-aligned. Hated undead and dated a cleric. Eventually became a werepanther in Ravenloft after being converted to 2nd edition. Good times. :smallsmile:

Lurkmoar
2012-10-11, 04:43 PM
My first character was AD&D Marcus, a LG fighter.

My first DM was a sadist...

Marcus died when he fell into a pit of spikes while fighting four goblins. And he didn't die instantly, he got to linger a bit while impaled multiple times. And since it was just me and him playing, he rp'ed the whole dying slowly and alone with me. What a guy eh? :smallfrown:

Water_Bear
2012-10-11, 05:25 PM
My first character was a Lawful Good Monk with Vow of Poverty (this was before I had even heard of tiers) in D&D 3.5.

He was actually a pretty cool dude; he wasn't the "foist your morality on others" kind of LG, preferring to just collect his part of the treasure and donate it to orphans. Unfortunately he went the way of all Monks; cut down with a Scythe by a Cleric of Nerul after charging into combat wielding a torch in each hand.

Sajiri
2012-10-11, 05:53 PM
I guess I'm still playing my first one in a way. 3.5 gloaming duskblade, though these days she's been converted to PF and is a magus instead.

She quickly developed a paranoia of doors (especially the talking variety), long hallways, orcs, bridges, water, and the party shaman's invisible-on-command worg familiar. One too many traps. All in the first session.

scurv
2012-10-11, 05:57 PM
A human rogue named Scrag!

He was around a bit, Did some time, More than his share of jail breaks, Almost became a Pirate captain.

Fhaolan
2012-10-12, 12:12 AM
Pater D'Arc.. Yeah, I was 8 at the time... 1st level Fighting Man, Original D&D, before there were editions, AD&D or Basic D&D.

I was a solo player at the time, as the DM hadn't found anyone else yet to play. Pater was on a quest to rid a village of a dragon, but he kept getting distracted along the way. It took so long for him to reach the dragon the DM had gotten fed up and simply declared that the dragon had died of natural causes before Pater got there. So Pater D'Arc, Dragonslayer; rode that reputation for the rest of his life. :smallsmile:

Hopeless
2012-10-12, 04:29 AM
Darius a human fighter from Basic Dungeons and Dragons.

Back in the red box circa 1980's a club I went to did a competition for adventures and i wrote one and used up a score plus of old characters to test it out leaving a group for the actual game.

I was the only one to bother entering unfortunately when I ran the game the only player who ran their character anywhere near properly was the Chaotic Magic User who had an Orc Priest as a henchman and the rest being all Lawful aligned stayed back and let the Paladin take on a Storm Giant singlehanded... the wizard summoned a chest with a potion of storm giant control, he may have not intended to help the Paladin but at least he didn't hide in the previous room and they were all 20th+ in level!

I don't actually remember what happened to Darius though it was almost half a year before I got involved in a game so I don't think soloing with a fighter actually counts!

TechnoScrabble
2012-10-12, 08:25 AM
My first time was playing using my dad's old AD&D 2nd Edition books. His friend Jester ran a game for some of my friends (we were nine at the time) and I played a half-elven ranger who got an oversized hunting dog for a companion (We named him 'Beasty Bear'). The party was me, a human paladin, a dwarf thief, a human cleric, and a gnome illusionist. We wound up hunting down a cabal of warlocks planning on summoning a demon, destroying the castle their warlord lived in, and by the end of the campaign we had trashed their temple as well, and lost the cleric, the gnome, the dwarf, Beasty Bear, and the Paladin's legs, and it ended with my ranger vengefully tracking down the last of the warlocks through the woods in which the characters had originally met. I remember the last line I said before Jester closed his notebook and said 'The End' was, "I take careful aim and let my arrow fly."

Eldan
2012-10-12, 08:36 AM
Istari. I forgot his last name,but I think it had "Dark" in it. A lawful evil elf wizard 1, who mostly used his longbow and 18 dexterity. He got up to level 6. Spells I remember him casting: Jump (to get over several pit traps), Animate Rope, Magic Missiles (so many magic missiles), Detect Magic (never found anything magical) and spider climb. Fireball later, when he got that high in level. He was also the lost prince of an ancient elven kingdom with incredible magic and wanted to rule the world. Hey, I was about 14.

Totally Guy
2012-10-12, 08:43 AM
My first D&D character was a rogue who had worked for an old evil wizard until the guy died of old age. My guy continued to maintain the castle until an adventurer called Hermocrates came along to kill the evil wizard who'd already died. My rogue then joined Hermocrates party.

I forgot my own rogue's name but remembered my friend's paladin's name? Inconceivable!

Slipperychicken
2012-10-12, 07:21 PM
My first D&D character was a rogue who had worked for an an wizard until the old wizard died of old age. He continued to maintain the castle until an adventurer called Hermocrates came along to kill the evil wizard. My rogue went with him.

For a moment, I thought "old wizard" (who your Rogue worked for) and "the evil wizard" (who Hermocrates came along to kill) were the same person.

That would have been seriously awkward.

motoko's ghost
2012-10-13, 03:30 AM
3.5 CN Human rogue/slightly refluffed assassin with a focus on leadership, by the end had managed to amass a small army, good times:smallsmile:

super dark33
2012-10-13, 06:21 AM
3.0 Paladin.
I was but a lad when i played it, so it would die in normal campeigns. :smalltongue:

But still, that was when i learned that paladins have high damage outputs.

My first "real" charecter was a Lizardfolk ranger with a double edged scimitar that later became a scimitar-hammer. the charecter itself was multiclassed to a homemade prestiege class, fighter, barbarian and monk for cool kick jumps.
HE focused on cleave, buttloads of attacks with high accuracy, jump attacks and combinations of these.

Loth17
2012-10-13, 10:01 AM
3.5 elf wizard with a wyrmling black dragon as a companion...I got exploded into nothing second dungeon.

Otodetu
2012-10-13, 10:18 AM
3.0 Level 8 sorcerer that rolled 18 constitution and charisma and decent in the rest.

That feel when you are the only tier 1 caster in a party of fighter, rogue\fighter, and bard.

Polymorph other my raven familiar into a brass dragon permanently and selling 10 minutes\level invisibility and levitate spells to a local gang of thieves.

Amphetryon
2012-10-13, 01:59 PM
Basic D&D Halfling - that was both Class and Race, to be clear. 17 STR. Campaign got killed after a single session because the DM's BFF was convinced to run AD&D for said BFF instead.

MichaelGoldclaw
2012-10-13, 02:56 PM
5 years later I watch The Dorkness Rising and have a jolly good laugh at the story they obviously took from my life. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOUksDJCijw&t=1h1m40s)
thank you for pointing me towards that so F***ing funny movie.
"I brought firewood" *dead*

Totally Guy
2012-10-13, 06:03 PM
For a moment, I thought "old wizard" (who your Rogue worked for) and "the evil wizard" (who Hermocrates came along to kill) were the same person.

That would have been seriously awkward.

They were the same person! It was backstory so we said he outdid me in an ethics debate.

mistformsquirrl
2012-10-13, 06:44 PM
Hooboy...

My very very first D&D character was a level 10 Half-Celestial Human Fighter/Sorcerer/Spellsword - this being 3.0e and in a level 18 campaign. I remember he wore a mithral chain shirt, a big red cloak, and used a two-bladed sword.*

The party also killed him the first time they encountered him. Turns out my DM set me up for that. I was not amused, but at least I got resurrected. I did a whole lot of nothing useful that campaign heh >.<

*When I first started playing, I was totally nuts about two-bladed swords. Even today I still think they're the most awesome impractical weapon ever >_> but I haven't wielded one in ages. ... now I kinda want to make a character for that again though...

Hylas
2012-10-13, 08:17 PM
thank you for pointing me towards that so F***ing funny movie.
"I brought firewood" *dead*

Off-topic (but possibly relevant to people who will read this) reply:
Dorkness Rising is actually a sequel to another movie and the people who made them have also made a series called JourneyQuest, which just finished its second season, that you can watch here (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB600313D4723E21F). They're currently working on a third movie, and hopefully another season of JourneyQuest. It's completely fan-supported and awesome.

*When I first started playing, I was totally nuts about two-bladed swords. Even today I still think they're the most awesome impractical weapon ever >_> but I haven't wielded one in ages. ... now I kinda want to make a character for that again though...

Now I want to homebrew up a Pathfinder Soulknife that can manifest his blade as a two-bladed sword.

rockdeworld
2012-10-13, 08:50 PM
An elf ranger bow-user, based roughly on Rufus from Valkyrie Profile 2. Having played Star Wars previously (where Jedi deal 6d8 base damage with lightsabers at high levels), I was disappointed in the low damage of bows, swords, and pretty much everything else. The game looked very low-power to me (it definitely starts lower-powered compared to SW), and didn't last a long time because I had to quit for work =/

Next up was a rogue on these forums for a level 1 campaign that I had a lot of fun playing :smallsmile:

Gerrtt
2012-10-15, 08:29 AM
My first character was Gaius Borthwick, a Half-Elf Druid. We picked a druid because nobody else was one and we picked a Half-Elf because the PHB listed it as the recommended race. The DM hadn't read the druid section and neither had I so for a couple sessions I had no idea I could cast spells. I just knew I had a pet wolf and would eventually get some neat nature based powers (notice the lack of specifics).

Imagine the hilarity and role-play possibility when we suddenly realize I could cast spells and do all sorts of other crazy stuff.

Some of my exploits include having 6 strength, getting my one decent stat (wisdom) lowered to the point where I couldn't cast spells (for real this time!) and getting the craft: wondrous item feat. Good times.

Drazik
2012-10-15, 08:39 AM
My first character was a half elf rogue named Drazik. he was a combat rogue, but even still, by the time the campaign ended he was level 8 and had more permanent injuries than any other group member. he had prosthetic toes, had to wear a butt brace, and wasn't quite all in this plane of existence anymore (and thus could only touch items that were silvered or magical.)

Andreaz
2012-10-15, 12:19 PM
Priest turned warrior-priest in order to travel with his best friend, whose ambition led them into adventure.

Fondest moment was when we were fighting something closely resembling a dire crocodile and it ate my priest's right arm. Priest proceeded to jab his warhammer into its throat and wrench its mouth open, asphyxiating it in the process and retrieving the arm.

A surprising change from his usual meek personality and "Stick close to his people and beat enemies who approach" approach.

Wraith
2012-10-15, 01:33 PM
Edion Exodise, a 2nd Edition Elven Fighter/Mage who specialised in Longsword and Shield.

He lasted for exactly one session and cast exactly one spell - Invisibility - which directly led to his death. Because no-one could find his bleeding, battered body in order to heal him, after he was punched out by a bartender in the starting Tavern. :smalltongue:

Archmage1
2012-10-15, 03:54 PM
Martin Elvar, an elven sorc for BG 2. Best moment: My first discovery of time stop+improved alacrity+robes of vecna. I blew every spell he had against a small group of some relatively harmless enemy. Apparently, Overkill is possible :)

North_Ranger
2012-10-15, 04:20 PM
3.5, Scarred Lands setting... and my character was Athel Redthorn, a CG ranger and later Holy Liberator (essentially a Chaotic Good paladin) who left his Titans-worshipping tribe of plainsmen to become a ranger in service of the city of Mithril. I really enjoyed playing him, but things went more than a little down the drain in the final sessions... Essentially Athel was stripped of all his Liberator and ranger powers because he committed a most grievous sin: he allowed his father, still a Titan-worshipper, to enter the temple grounds.

Either I didn't completely understand the level of animosity between the gods and the Titans in the setting... or I had in my naive newbishness insulted the Dungeon Master. Somehow I think it was the latter, because a year or two later my first (and only) 4e character, the dragonborn paladin Vashir Bronzescale, was eaten alive by some overpowered chaos monster that the party rogue had managed to piss off.

DragonFang
2012-10-16, 03:25 AM
Grog Axesmith, a dwarven fighter in AD&D2.

Conceived as a basic character to learn Dungeons and Dragons and roleplaying in general, he soon became a complex person as he found himself in space, attempting to prevent an intergalactic war, a disease that turned people into plant-zombies, and accidentally killing off most of the inhabitants of a huge space station.

The DM later admitted to having watched too many Star Trek episodes prior to writing the plot.

Recently I converted Grog to 3.5 for a one-shot campaign, and boy was he awesome. :smallbiggrin:

Roderick_BR
2012-10-16, 11:22 AM
My first D&D character ever was a AD&D 2E Kobold (with a custom Kobold class from a magazine, basically a specialized kind of fighter).

He joined a group of heroes trying to break a curse from a town (I don't remember the details). Among the enemies, was a lion (not dire, just normal. we were all 1st level characters). His moment of glory was when he slayed the lion (the team had filled it with bows, bolts, and other ranged stuff, I just gave the finishing blow by coincidence, but he didn't know that at he time).

Fun times. Used him in two more sessions before the DM didn't have time to write that campaing anymore.

catman04221985
2012-10-16, 02:50 PM
My very first char. I made was(I was in 7th grade at the time) a half-celestial Alienist-10/Sorcerer-10/Cleric-4. Whoo boy was he a mess Sadly I don't have the notebook any more. But i made his spiritual twin.

D
Male Human (Azlanti, Pureblooded) Oracle 4 Sorcerer 20
CG Medium Outsider ((humanoid), human, native)
Init +15; Senses Blindsense, Blindsight, Clouded Vision, Darkvision; Perception +22
--------------------
Defense
--------------------
AC 42, touch 30, flat-footed 31 (+6 armor, +11 Dex, +6 natural, +5 deflection)
hp 460 (4d8+20d6+288)
Fort +19, Ref +23, Will +28; +4 vs. landslides, avalanches, tunnel collapses, and similar effects
Defensive Abilities Coat of Many Stars +4 (4 hours/day), Unusual Anatomy: Immune; DR 10/magic, 5/—; Immune disease; Resist acid 10, cold 10, electricity 10; SR 35
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 30 ft., Burrowing (10 feet), Flight (60 feet, Good)
Special Attacks Acidic Ray (20/day), Interstellar Void, (4d6) (1/day) (DC 29), Long Limbs +15', Smite Evil (1/day)
Spell-Like Abilities Aid (1/day), Bless (1/day), Charm Monster, Mass (1/day), Cure Serious Wounds (1/day), Detect Evil (1/day), Dispel Evil (1/day), Hallow (1/day), Holy Aura (3/day), Holy Smite (1/day), Holy Word (1/day), Neutralize Poison (1/day), Protection From Evil (3/day), Remove Disease (1/day), Resurrection (1/day), Summon Monster IX (Celestials Only) (1/day)
Oracle Spells Known (CL 4, +21 melee touch, +24 ranged touch):
2 (7/day) Restoration, Lesser (DC 29), Cure Moderate Wounds (DC 29), Hypnotic Pattern (DC 29)
1 (11/day) Bane (DC 28), Bless, Color Spray (DC 28), Deathwatch, Cure Light Wounds (DC 28)
0 (at will) Resistance (DC 27), Stabilize, Mending, Purify Food and Drink (DC 27), Create Water, Guidance
Sorcerer Spells Known (CL 20, +21 melee touch, +24 ranged touch):
9 (9/day) Meteor Swarm, Gate, Shapechange, Wish
8 (9/day) Prediction of Failure (DC 35), Mind Blank (DC 35), Horrid Wilting (DC 35), Sunburst (DC 35)
7 (9/day) Reverse Gravity, Forcecage (DC 34), Mage's Magnificent Mansion, Plane Shift (DC 34)
6 (9/day) Contingency, True Seeing (DC 33), Chain Lightning (DC 33), Veil (DC 33)
5 (10/day) Overland Flight, Wall of Force, Telekinesis, Feeblemind (DC 32), Magic Jar (DC 32)
4 (10/day) Black Tentacles, Phantasmal Killer (DC 31), Summon Monster IV, Dimension Door, Wall of Ice (DC 31)
3 (10/day) Phantom Steed, Tongues (DC 30), Haste (DC 30), Lightning Bolt (DC 30), Tiny Hut
2 (10/day) Hideous Laughter (DC 29), Pyrotechnics (DC 29), See Invisibility, Web (DC 29), Glitterdust, Invisibility
1 (11/day) Magic Missile, Expeditious Retreat, Mage Armor (DC 28), Enlarge Person (DC 28), Color Spray (DC 28), Grease (DC 28)
0 (at will) Acid Splash, Ray of Frost, Bleed (DC 27), Touch of Fatigue (DC 27), Read Magic, Ghost Sound (DC 27), Detect Magic, Dancing Lights, Prestidigitation (DC 27)
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Str 20/26, Dex 26/32, Con 26/32, Int 18/24, Wis 22/28, Cha 38/44
Base Atk +13; CMB +21; CMD 51
Feats Antagonize, Arcane Blast (Su), Arcane Strike, Bouncing Spell, Combat Casting, Craft Wand, Craft Wondrous Item, Dazing Spell, Eschew Materials, Greater Spell Penetration, Hover, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Leadership (Base Score 42), Quicken Spell, Spell Penetration, Toughness +24
Traits Natural-Born Leader, World Traveler (Sense Motive)
Skills Bluff +40, Disable Device +35, Fly +38, Handle Animal +41, Heal +15, Intimidate +34, Knowledge (arcana) +35, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +34, Linguistics +11, Perception +22, Sense Motive +16, Sleight of Hand +35, Spellcraft +31, Survival +22, Use Magic Device +45
Languages Aboleth, Abyssal, Aklo, Aquan, Auran, Azlanti, Celestial, Common, Draconic, Elven, Protean, Sylvan, Undercommon
SQ +4 to Fortitude saves vs Poison, Aberrant, Absalom Townhouse (empty) (1/session), Arcanamirium Full Professor, Arcanamirium Library Access, Arcanamirium Professor's Assistant, Arcanamirium Senior Student, Artisan's Shop (empty), Caravan (empty) (Bluff), Country Estate (empty) (Jalmeray), Etherealness (1/day), Ghost touch, Glamered, Porter (empty), Restful Pathfinders’ Lounge (empty), Shadow Bolt (The Shadowstaff) (3/day), The Shadowstaff
Combat Gear Void; Other Gear Absalom Townhouse (empty) (1/session), Amulet of natural armor +5, Artisan's Shop (empty), Belt of physical perfection +6, Caravan (empty) (Bluff), Coastal Island (empty), Country Estate (empty) (Jalmeray), Headband of mental superiority +6 (Sleight of Hand, Handle Animal), Porter (empty), Restful Pathfinders’ Lounge (empty), Ring of protection +5, Robe of stars (6/month), Scholar (Use Magic Device), Ship (empty), The Shadowstaff
--------------------
Special Abilities
--------------------
+4 to Fortitude saves vs Poison You get +4 to Fortitude saves against Poison effects.
Aberrant Increase the duration of [polymorph] spells by 50%.
Absalom Townhouse (empty) (1/session) +2 to interaction skills in own district, +4 to Know (local) & gather info if active.
Acidic Ray (20/day) (Sp) Ranged touch attack deals 1d6+10 acid damage.
Aid (1/day) (Sp) Granted by Half-Celestial heritage.

+1 on attack rolls and saves against fear, 1d8 temporary hp +1/level (max +10).
Antagonize Use Diplomacy or Intimidate to goad creatures
Arcanamirium Full Professor You no longer need to pay tuition to the Arcanamirium, instead you are paid a salary.
Arcanamirium Library Access A day of research grants you a +2 circumstance bonus on any one Knowledge skill check.
Arcanamirium Professor's Assistant You can recruit a student to aid you in research in the Arcanamirium library, increasing the circumstance bonus for library access to +4.
Arcanamirium Senior Student You are a senior student, and may purchase potions, scrolls, and wands from the city in which the academy is located (or the closest small city if the academy is located in a smaller settlement than that) at a 10% discount.
Arcane Blast (Su) Convert a level 1+ spell into a 30' ranged touch attack dealing 2d6+1d6/spell level
Arcane Strike As a swift action, add +1 damage, +1 per 5 caster levels and your weapons are treated as magic for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
Artisan's Shop (empty) +1 to Craft for Day Job rolls and 5% discount on items of same type.
Bless (1/day) (Sp) Granted by Half-Celestial heritage.

Allies gain +1 on attack rolls and +1 on saves against fear.
Blindsense (30 feet) (Ex) Sense things and creatures without seeing them.
Blindsight (60 feet) Sense things and creatures without seeing them.
Bouncing Spell You can cast a spell that can be redirected if it has no effect on its first target.
Burrowing (10 feet) You have a Burrow speed.
Caravan (empty) (Bluff) Can use the chosen skill to make Day Job rolls.
Charm Monster, Mass (1/day) (Sp) Granted by Half-Celestial heritage.

As charm monster, but all within 30 ft.
Clouded Vision You cannot see beyond 60'
Coat of Many Stars +4 (4 hours/day) (Ex) +4 AC.
Combat Casting +4 to Concentration checks to cast while on the defensive.
Country Estate (empty) (Jalmeray) +2 to Know (geography) and Survival checks in chosen nation.
Cure Serious Wounds (1/day) (Sp) Granted by Half-Celestial heritage.

Cures 3d8 damage +1/level (max +15).
Damage Reduction (10/magic) You have Damage Reduction against all except Magic attacks.
Damage Reduction (5/-) You have Damage Reduction against all attacks.
Damage Resistance, Acid (10) You have the specified Damage Resistance against Acid attacks.
Damage Resistance, Cold (10) You have the specified Damage Resistance against Cold attacks.
Damage Resistance, Electricity (10) You have the specified Damage Resistance against Electricity attacks.
Darkvision (60 feet) You can see in the dark (black and white vision only).
Dazing Spell You can cast a spell that dazes those injured by it (duration = spell's level in rounds, Fort negates).
Detect Evil (1/day) (Sp) Granted by Half-Celestial heritage.

Reveals creatures, spells, or objects of selected alignment.
Dispel Evil (1/day) (Sp) Granted by Half-Celestial heritage.

+4 bonus against attacks by evil creatures.
Eschew Materials Cast spells without materials, if component cost is 1 gp or less.
Etherealness (1/day) Become ethereal as ethereal jaunt for unlimited duration.
Flight (60 feet, Good) You can fly!
Ghost touch Enhancement and armor bonus count against incorporeal creatures.
Glamered Assumes appearance of normal clothes on command.
Greater Spell Penetration +2 to caster level checks to overcome spell resistance.
Hallow (1/day) (Sp) Granted by Half-Celestial heritage.

Designates location as holy.
Holy Aura (3/day) (Sp) Granted by Half-Celestial heritage.

+4 to AC, +4 resistance, and SR 25 against evil spells.
Holy Smite (1/day) (Sp) Granted by Half-Celestial heritage.

Damages and blinds evil creatures.
Holy Word (1/day) (Sp) Granted by Half-Celestial heritage.

Kills, paralyzes, blinds, or deafens nongood subjects.
Hover You can hover in place while flying.
Immunity to Disease You are immune to diseases.
Interstellar Void, (4d6) (1/day) (DC 29) (Su) Target takes 4d6 cold damage, Fort half.
Leadership (Base Score 42) You attract loyal companions and devoted followers.
Long Limbs +15' (Ex) Your reach for melee touch attacks increases +15'
Natural-Born Leader Your cohorts, followers, and summoned creatures gain +1 vs. Mind-affecting effects, +1 Leadership score if you have the Leadership feat.
Neutralize Poison (1/day) (Sp) Granted by Half-Celestial heritage.

Immunizes subject against poison, detoxifies venom in or on subject.
Porter (empty) Carry 100 lbs at full speed, or up to 300 lbs at encumbered speed.
Protection From Evil (3/day) (Sp) Granted by Half-Celestial heritage.

+2 to AC and saves, counter mind control, hedge out elementals and outsiders.
Quicken Spell Cast another spell in the same round you cast this one. +4 Levels.
Remove Disease (1/day) (Sp) Granted by Half-Celestial heritage.

Cures all diseases affecting subject.
Restful Pathfinders’ Lounge (empty) Rest in private club to gain benefits of 8 hrs in only 6 hrs.
Resurrection (1/day) (Sp) Granted by Half-Celestial heritage.

Fully restore dead subject.
Shadow Bolt (The Shadowstaff) (3/day) Three times per day the staff can project a ray attack that deals 10d6 points of cold damage to a single target. The shadow bolt has a range of 100 feet.
Smite Evil (1/day) (Su) +17 to hit, +24 to damage, +17 deflection bonus to AC when used.
Spell Penetration +2 to caster levels checks to overcome spell resistance.
Spell Resistance (35) You have Spell Resistance.
Summon Monster IX (Celestials Only) (1/day) (Sp) Granted by Half-Celestial heritage.

Calls extraplanar creature to fight for you.
The Shadowstaff This artifact was crafted ages ago, weaving together wispy strands of shadow into a twisted black staff. The Shadowstaff makes the wielder slightly shadowy and incorporeal, granting him a +4 bonus to AC and on Reflex saves (which stacks with any other bonuses). However, in bright light (such as that of the sun, but not a torch) or in absolute darkness, the wielder takes a –2 penalty on all attack rolls, saves, and checks. The Shadowstaff also has these powers.

• Summon Shadows: Three times per day the staff may summon 2d4 shadows. Immune to turning, they serve the wielder as if called by a summon monster V spell cast at 20th level.
• Summon Nightshade: Once per month, the staff can summon an advanced shadow demon that serves the wielder as if called by a summon monster IX spell cast at 20th level.
• Shadow Form: Three times per day the wielder can become a living shadow, with all the movement powers granted by gaseous form.
• Shadow Bolt: Three times per day the staff can project a ray attack that deals 10d6 points of cold damage to a single target. The shadow bolt has a range of 100 feet.

Destruction
The Shadowstaff fades away to nothingness if it is exposed to true sunlight for a continuous 24 hour period.
Unusual Anatomy: Immune (Ex) Immune to critical hits/sneak attacks.

Hero Lab® and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at http://www.wolflair.com
Pathfinder® and associated marks and logos are trademarks of Paizo Publishing, LLC®, and are used under license.

DigoDragon
2012-10-17, 07:04 AM
My very first D&D character was for an AD&D 2e game. She was a human paladin named Ms. Arrowny. I've always been terrible with names. >_>

The choice of paladin was because I rolled a really good stat array using the old traditional method for that system. The DM then encouraged me to try out the class and I had fun with it. Made it to about level 6 I believe, before the party wizard killed her with a spell in order to procure an evil artifact for himself. He got karmic backlash later thanks to my brother (Another wizard). :smallbiggrin:

ShadowFireLance
2012-10-17, 02:36 PM
My First Charrie was technically a Half-Blue Dragon, But Was made really, Really bad, As I did not know the rules...
My first Actual Charrie (That worked) Was a Gold Dragon Nation ruler that was a son of a Red Dragon God, And Painted/Iliusioned Red...
Named Izeldias

Tantaburs
2012-10-17, 04:03 PM
First Character was a 3.5 Orc Fighter in a world of warcraft setting.

Nat 20'ed a strength check and pulled a crocodile and a paladin up a 30 foot wall in 6 seconds

Spider_Jerusalem
2012-10-19, 08:17 AM
My first character was a 2nd edition half-elf ranger called Yoda. I was 8 at the time, and I really don't remember him that well, although I remember perfectly the way he died. Yoda had an invisible sword (yeah, whatever) that could cast fireballs. It was a solo adventure, and he was fighting a bunch of hobgoblins by himself when things started to get tough. Oh, I still remember my words after he died: "What do you mean, I'm not immune to my own fireball?!"

I really liked my second character, though. He was a necromancer, still in the second edition. The group had only 2 people and the DM. We decided to "optimize" the party, which meant both characters horribly dumped some stat. My necromancer had an 18 for intelligence, but his constitution was 3. The paladin had int 3 and str 18. We read the part that said that int 3 is "just above animal intelligence" and suddenly the campaign became the two of us trying to exploit each other's weakness.

Both characters worked together only because the paladin was too dumb to realise the necromancer was actually evil. When he asked why he felt evil within the necromancer, my response was "I'm keeping the evil within, which means I'm not unleashing it to the world". Both characters had lots of those conversation, which usually ended with the paladin saying "Oh, right, buddy!"

After gathering some money, the paladin wanted to spend all of it buying a Holy Avenger. He was convinced to stop being selfish, and to do a favor to the whole world instead. "It doesn't matter how holy it is, a weapon can only hurt", the necromancer said. "Why don't we buy that spellbook we saw earlier, instead?". "Buddy", the paladin replied. "You many no remember, but mage say it has name 'the tome of elemental evil'". To which the necromancer replied, "and you want to let the EVIL guys buy it??"

Sadly, the necromancer died a few days later, hunting. He tried to explain to the paladin that he wasn't exactly suited for hunting, but he couldn't convince him this time. "Buddy weak because buddy no hunt, no exercise. Buddy lazy, go hunt". Without his living (and extremely dumb) shield at his side, my character was no match for the monsters that roam the wild.

Thus died "Buddy" the Corrupted, killed by an evil, destructive, atrocious rabbit.

Silus
2012-10-19, 08:29 AM
First D&D character I had was a Half-Machine Human Ranger named Marriette that used natural attacks (A pair of claws) and had favored enemy (Human). Her backstory was that she was kidnapped as a child, along with her family, by a group of magitech mages. Lots of revenge and mindbreak as character motivation. Wrote a good page and a half backstory for her and fleshed out her personality before I even started playing her.

She lasted two sessions. Not due to her dying, but because the campaign imploded due to DM incompetence.

After that, it was Tiefling Swashbuckler/Dervishes all the time.

Keldridge
2012-10-19, 11:52 AM
It probably wasn't my absolute first char, but it was close. I was in early high school I think. The game was AD&D.

Gorbodock was my elven magic user. I remember him rolling amazingly lucky for the first few levels as he should have died a couple times. Eventually he became so powerful he was practically a god. Had his own island with a massive castle and was like level 70 or something silly/crazy like that.

I remember at one point he wanted to prove he was the most powerful thing in the world, so he would "research" to find the most powerful creatures in the world and then go kill them. (Which was basically an excuse to duel whatever cool thing me and the DM would find in a book somewhere...)

After him, our gaming group broke up, and I didn't play for 20 years. Talk about culture shock coming back...

-Keldridge

Biotroll
2012-10-19, 12:26 PM
My first D&D character was human ranger named Khalil (in 3.0). He was usualy fighting with longsword and dagger, using longbow here or there. Had a lot of fun with him, though he only got to lvl 4 (from 1). His end was rather messy as he was able to take on two devils and bring them down (which he should be able at that time, but dice were nice to him), but being killed by bunch of ogres that were coming to help the devil in his conquest of local area. His sword was then proclaimed a relic and played quite a role in another campaign.

Alaris
2012-10-21, 04:59 AM
Uther Smith, the half-elf Cleric. Centrally Casted and ended up with HOT PINK HAIR. Decided to follow Moradin, deity of the Dwarves. This was a ****ed up character... ridiculously so. In the first session, he betrayed the party, and joined up with the humans (because a Dwarf referred to him as "Emergency Rations.").

One thing led to another, and Uther ended up as "Daneeva Lore," the happily married, now female Half Elf Cleric of Moradin. Don't ask, that story is just a headache.

UserShadow7989
2012-10-22, 04:44 AM
My first character was a 3.5e human monk (the homebrew version in my sig; the campaign started as a discussion of homebrew and things we wanted to try), with a single level of sorcerer so I could nab draconic feats for flavor. She was descended from a white dragon; her earlier ancestors being roaming berserkers. At some point in her family history one of her ancestors joined a monastery out of a desire to better control their bloodlust.

As a result, self control was important to her- she insisted on fighting non-lethally (though I made sure this was a self imposed thing; she didn't care if others did so long as they weren't pointlessly cruel) and was hard on herself over mistakes, despite being patient with other members of the group. Did surprisingly well despite the unfavorable multi-classing and feat choice, thanks to some clever use of the few spells she had (grease flavored as freezing the floor) and good damage rolls.

I remember a point where she was level 4 or 5 and one-shotted a CR-appropriate monster with a pair of very good damage rolls on Flurry of Blows and the Draconic Fist Alternate Class Feature from a splatbook a friend brought to the group's attention (unarmed strikes deal 1d6 extra damage of an element, scales by level- two hits of 2d6 damage, and I rolled near max damage).

UndertakerSheep
2012-10-24, 05:09 PM
Maldur, the third level dwarven swashbuckler (3.5).

I was thrown into D&D very last minute, and I had no idea what to expect from the game. My dwarf was hired by the High King to spy on a group of adventurers (the party). At the start of the session, he was hiding behind a throne in an abandoned castle. The first thing he heard was voices outside the door, apparently people being frustrated that the door was locked. After that came a faint sizzling noise. Then the door exploded.

The thirst thing my character saw was the party blowing up the door to the throneroom with a black powder rocket. How's that for a first impression?

After that I remember drinking vodka with the Royal Guard, watching a half-ogre general ride a dragon, fighting a wraith in an abandoned city and run away from wizard elves in a mansion only to find himself trapped in a room with all the town people. Those town people were very afraid of dwarves, and despite my character's many attempts to rescue them from their hostage situation...well, let's just say he ended up at -9.

I have never again experienced such a moral issue. My neutral good dwarf didn't want to fight back with his axe, but I sure did.

Machpants
2012-10-24, 05:59 PM
My first was a Fighter from the Red Box (BECMI) but I can't really remember that one, was too young playing with my buddies older bro as DM. Just a one off.

At school I ended up playing a (BECMI again) Magic User named Raistlin Majere :smallredface: . We had the entire BECMI classes in our party, one of each, IIRC the Fighter was called Sturm Brightblade.

Anyway we had fun with a low grasp of the rules and a nasty DM. He even tried to tell us that we had to roll 50-50 the sex of our PCs. I stood up to that one and demanded he shows us in the book. I rolled Shield for my only 1st level spell and once I levelled up, surviving by hiding and doing naf all, I got Tenser's Floating Disk... that at least got my past some goblins by giving them rides on it!

After that I DM'd until last year apart from a one off Garush Half-Orc Ftr/Assassin (1E) whom I rolled a 18-00 strength (although it was maxed at 18-99)

FaerieDrgn
2012-10-25, 03:32 PM
My first character was named Fae. She was a healing cleric in 4.0. We only played a few sessions in 4.0, but I remember getting eaten by a frog creature and got out of there with hardly a scratch, whereas the other member who was eaten barely survived. Also in those few sessions, we had found a goblin book of naughty things...

Deathkeeper
2012-10-25, 04:22 PM
My first was a Fighter from the Red Box (BECMI) but I can't really remember that one, was too young playing with my buddies older bro as DM. Just a one off.

At school I ended up playing a (BECMI again) Magic User named Raistlin Majere :smallredface: . We had the entire BECMI classes in our party, one of each, IIRC the Fighter was called Sturm Brightblade.

Anyway we had fun with a low grasp of the rules and a nasty DM. He even tried to tell us that we had to roll 50-50 the sex of our PCs. I stood up to that one and demanded he shows us in the book. I rolled Shield for my only 1st level spell and once I levelled up, surviving by hiding and doing naf all, I got Tenser's Floating Disk... that at least got my past some goblins by giving them rides on it!

After that I DM'd until last year apart from a one off Garush Half-Orc Ftr/Assassin (1E) whom I rolled a 18-00 strength (although it was maxed at 18-99)

I've never heard of rolling for spells, that sucks. And I'm pretty sure level 1 wizards get more than one level 1 spell. But still, I had just a bit of DragonLance nostalgia; I haven't read those books since ninth grade.

LadyGareth
2012-10-28, 09:16 AM
My first D&D character was a 2nd ed half elf rogue named Meri.

I'd been helping my mother run her game and roll up monsters for years, as well as making at least a dozen illustrations and all of her maps. Finally, FINALLY, I was 'old enough' to join the game. three sessions after I joined the game, my dad and his friend from work who played too started working over time and the game stopped. I was heartbroken.

MarsRendac
2012-10-28, 08:26 PM
Mine was a 3.5 LE fighter appropriately named Mars Rendac.

In our first ever session, we had a guy who insisted on playing a 4e shaman (I had no idea how ridiculous that idea was at the time) and a "person" named Ben who was by far the most irritating human being I've ever met. His one saving grace was that his character was CN and just as irritating... so when we came upon a dark glyph that whispered to us in Infernal, I was playing entirely in-character when I grappled him and threw him onto the glyph.

1d8 negative energy damage per turn. So, now we knew what it did. We went down another hall and I shield bashed a bunch of skeletons. Eventually we found a neogi crawling along the ceiling. Ben sat there and asked dumb questions like "does it look Intelligent" for a minute, then I got tired of waiting and Captain America'd that fool with my heavy steel shield. Rolled maximum damage, knocking him to the floor, where he took 2d6 falling damage and died. I looked at Ben and said both in and out of character, "I guess we'll never know."

We scrapped that campaign and I started DMing my first one, this time with Mars Rendac as a blackguard and major villain. Long story short, the party, including Ben (shapeshifter), Earl (rogue), and their ally G'faros the gnoll druid were going into uncharted barbarian territory looking for the MacGuffin, which Mars was also after. There was a permanent wall of force around the border, and a Wisdom check by G'faros revealed that something "felt wrong." They decided to go around the wall anyway, walked for hours, then came to a village where everyone was suspiciously happy to see them. They said they had killed the hated devil-worshiper Rendac, and his body was inside the elder's tent... so naturally they didn't hesitate to go there.

Mars was on the ground, wearing his spotless armor. Nobody decided to ask "does he look like he's been fighting," "is there any blood," "how come his armor is completely untouched," et al. So they started talking to the elders. They said oh no, he's still alive. You can kill him yourselves if you want. Then we'll give you the MacGuffin. :smallamused: So Earl went to stab him, triggering a magical item that deflected the attack, and Mars Rendac stood from prone and impaled Earl's character with a bastard sword sneak attack, killing him in a single blow. Only G'faros stood his ground and fought to the death. Ben decided to run away and was chased down, hacked open, and decapitated by the tribe's champion.

Ever since then, Mars "evil Batman" Rendac has been a villain in almost every game I've DMed.

Machpants
2012-10-29, 12:59 AM
I've never heard of rolling for spells, that sucks. And I'm pretty sure level 1 wizards get more than one level 1 spell. But still, I had just a bit of DragonLance nostalgia; I haven't read those books since ninth grade.
Yeah you start with 2 spells, Read Magic and another. "Your DM will tell you the spells you have"
But the DM guide book of the Red Box specifically points against giving such crappy spells ;)

Kalrany
2012-10-31, 03:37 PM
My first character was after I went to college, and the DM got a handful of us together to introduce us to the game he loved. (Interestingly, I didn't realize at the time that having all girl players was odd.) We were hooked into a 3+ year compain that began with us at level one and we finally got too busy when we were in the teens (ranged depending on a number of factors, but 13-15).

Anyway, the character was a mage (eventually specialized in fire) and we used an alternative spell points convention that made her very useful in combate at later stages. It began with us (a mage, rogue, and preist -- all 1st level) fleeing our town to avoid and arranged marrage. We battled warewolves, vampires, a Torask bent on destroying the Elf capital, pirates, an invading army, and a double crossing diety. We dealt with 3 prophacies, several murders, and threw two nations into political upheval. My character personally took on a equivalent level mage for control of the nacient Magic Academy and won. (Which was another polital issue, but it was fun to develop the whole thing from the ground up.)

We had a number of crazy plots, sceenes, and one liners all over the place. My mage, at 2nd level, lost a fear check and got lost in the forest after she ran off from the main confrentation. She figured out how to drown a vamp using a fireball and tag teamed bluff during the standoff. She used invidibility, spider climb, silence, polymorph self, and feather fall to steal a pirate trasure map from the local thieves guild while allowing the party theif to develop and airtight aliby. She won a staff that stored magical energy (spells) that was realsed on word triggers, which she set to several different creative verbal curses.

Let's see, she killed a green dragon with a double fireball to the throat. Thanks to some long term roleplaying, she was able to pull out a couple of divine healing spells just before the good old -10 death for a couple of characters. She accidently chain lightninged the party palidin, fighter, and preist becuase she forgot that it didn't stop when it ran out of opponents (the round before they were alive!).

Later, she was arrested for performing magic to save a noble (we really got into roleplaying over fighting towards the end). As an opening action, she polymorphed a troll into a butterfly, and it failed it's will save. She tricked an invading army using a combo weather control and an advanced polymorph self into a dragon...

I had so much fun with her...

Lhmac
2013-06-04, 11:40 PM
My first was a 4th edition Human Cleric of Avandra. I was of the opinion the god of luck was actually a goddess at the time. I'm still gonna believe that, it is my headcanon.

Playing at the very beginning of 4e, there were very few noteworthy feats to choose as a cleric. I ended up with extra languages and jack of all trades for no particular reason.
I also learned very quickly that clerics don't hit very often. And yet I keep rolling clerics, haha.

Fluffy Viking
2013-06-05, 12:50 PM
First character was a 3.5 Paladin of Hieronious named Rathian, who defeated skeletons by grappling them and using one as an improvised blunt object to destroy the others, and who used a barbarian as a makeshift trap trigger, and who sent a bandit flying through the floor of the secend level of an inn from a nat 20 headbutt. I miss Rath.

Gamgee
2013-06-05, 01:53 PM
A dwarf fighter. The campaign died after the first session, so I wouldn't have any other than the hilariously bad GM.

SethoMarkus
2013-06-06, 09:45 AM
D&D 3.5

Mal'reth Broughton - starting race: Half-Elf; current race: Raptoran

War-Mage class, True Neutral (slightly lawful, but slightly crazy), and followed Wee Jas.

Started off as a half-elf who was raised by his human parents at a young age until they died in a tragedy (he doesn't really remember them), then went off to war-mage boot-camp, before returning to live with elves (putting him into Middle Aged for the campaign). He was obsessed with lightning and wind elementals, and would have taken the Elemental Savant PrC had he leveled high enough. Halfway through the adventure he was killed in an ambush and was Reincarnated by the party Druid. DM rolled up Raptoran, so he became an aerial-combat specialist (high Concentration check for spellcasting while gliding, something like -4 penalty on attack rolls for ray spells), mostly throwing the limited support spells war-mage has, like Evard's Black Tentacles and Nauseous Cloud.

Favorite memory of him was when we escaped an enemy pirate ship with flying owls/druid shapechange/rope to tow my gliding raptoran, when I used Scorching Ray on a couple kegs of Dwarven Ale on the deck of the ship. I think the DM said the blast was able to be seen from space.

Talya
2013-06-06, 10:34 AM
My first character was a D&D 3rd edition elf barbarian that had been raised by tigers in the jungle after her parents were killed in a caravan raid. Grayhawk setting, I don't remember much else.

Xeratos
2013-06-06, 10:42 AM
A paladin back in 3.0. I remember buying my books and the PHB coming with a conversion manual to update characters to third edition, so close to the initial release. They got sat on for awhile until I found a gaming group, then we started up a campaign in the Forgotten Realms setting. I believe the pally worshiped Lathander, maybe? I remember something about the dawn, maces being a preferred weapon, and hating undead.

Either way, I couldn't play as often as the rest of the group, so I got left behind pretty quickly, and when I was there, I constantly butted heads with the klepto rogue and the alcoholic, sexually promiscuous bard (he got the alcoholic part right, but the ladies' man part was pure fancy for him). After about 3 sessions, I told the DM I didn't feel like the paladin could possibly justify adventuring with that group, and made a cleric of slightly looser morals instead.

SiuiS
2013-06-09, 04:24 AM
Goodness, you're all so... young :smalleek:

My first character was a 1e/2e hodgepodge, half elven ranger/wizard (necromancy specialist) with the beast rider kit and a tricked out familiar. One of a rare breed, a bunch of legitimately rolled 18s (albeit rerolling 1s), who was one of the lost children of Juan Wolf-Grey, my DM's most famous character who ascended to godhood as god of necromancy. He went through several games, eventually accumulating neat things like a massive white tiger mount, and a pair of artifact swords reforged to help him find his way in the world (one as intelligent and urged him to protect himself at all costs, the the other to grow as much as possible, and they were phrased such as to be in constant dynamic tension).

Before this, we played bookless on a campin trip, and I was a wizard. That stuck, and is technically my oldest character, both for being first chronologically and also based on my Lets Pretend persona from childhood.

My first 3e character... That lasted more than two sessions, at least, was a lizard man chaos paladin. The DM spent all his time designing the world from a tippy verse point of view, and things slowed to a crawl because of DM/player antagonism. His crownin moments include brandishing his spike shield (also holy symbol) and blinding a group of archers when we stumbled on the BBEG's plan twelve levels early, and soaking some 400 arrows at level 5 by clever application of shield and spell.

He also killed a tiefling heretic by lighting her on fire. Due to resistance, her body burned slowly for days, and he spent the entire time preaching about the wages of sin and that one would be consumed eternally in hellfire (like this convenient, eternally flaming demon corpse!) unless they were good.

My first 4e character was the wizard on release day, a sub optimal one at that. He was fun. Saved the party with Floating Disk, by creating sniper nests near the roof of a dungeon cavern when we were all but dead.

I say the wizard, not a wizard, because he made another appearance. Same guy has been in every D&D version except Immortals, Expert (of B/X) and Next.

fortesama
2013-06-09, 05:46 AM
First character in an actual tabletop game: Tsukasa Kochiya, initially a level 1 chaotic neutral warlock, a very distant descendant of a goddess (to the point that the only evidence of his divine heritage was his rather high overall stats, we rolled random stats) with a talent for business and, once he learns imbue item, a magic arms dealer. Was involved in two different campaigns.

His trickster, free-spirited personality isn't exactly suited to stay and manage a shop in the capital of his hometown nor is he eligible to be a member of the clergy of his many times great grandmother (only accepts women). Instead, he lugs most of his merchandise in his adventures so he can set up shop anywhere where he's needed with minimal interruptions.

He was one of the more damaging member of the party during the first campaign due to his at-will shatter: we were all and the DM, also a newbie, had the bright idea of having the major players of all the invaders be all crystalline creatures.

His greatest achievement was during the second campaign and a result of our newbieness and misreadings of the crafting rules: DM and I didn't think that I was directly restricted from crafting scrolls well beyond my caster level: only a successful skill check mattered. I inadvertently increased my UMD bonus to rather high levels letting me reach the DC 24 UMD check reliably for level 9 spell scrolls at level 12, culminating into an incident involving spilled noodles, an interrupted greater planar binding spell, a meteor storm scroll, more spilled noodles topped with a Gate scroll. You guys can imagine the kind of chaos that occurred after that incident.

In future campaigns, the DM, with my blessing, proceeded to use my character as sort of a planeswalking intrepid merchant/"treasure hunter" (read: thief) that will appear at the most random, frequently inappropriate times and places in all settings.

Thrudd
2013-06-09, 07:35 AM
1st Ed. AD&D Thief named Brown John, after a character from the "Death Dealer" books. True Neutral, he pretty much did what he wanted. We were all 10-11yrs old at that point, and not so strong on all the rules yet, having just come out of basic D&D. Honestly can't remember much of what actually happened in those campaigns. I know my friend Patrick went through characters repeatedly in that game, he was always trying to create obscure monster race characters that there were no rules for, and the other players would just kill his character when it showed up because everyone thought it was stupid that he wanted to be a leprechaun, or something equally asinine. the DM was no better than the rest of us, so he let us do it every time. I know, we were mean lol. Eventually he settled on a halfling thief and we all got along (as far as thieves and a bunch of generally chaotic characters ever get along with eachother).
Before and after I generally DM'd. I did play in a short 2nd ed skills&powers campaign as a Bard with 19 CHA. The DM was of the antagonistic sort, and RP'd that all the NPC's I encountered basically acted like they hated my characters' guts despite my stats and relevant social skills.
My first character in 3ed was a paladin, that was a good campaign with lasted up until 10-11th level. The highlight of his career was taking down a full HP troll with a single critical hit with my heavy lance from a mounted charge. Yah!
Later, with 3.5, I had a Fighter/Sorcerer who was aiming for battle mage, never got that far in the campaign though.
Played in an epic campaign that started at lvl 20, I played an eldritch knight who eventually became a god of lawfull good.
Started an Eberron campaign and had a half-orc druid/barbarian with a giant rat animal companion. fun fun! only got to about lvl 3 on that one, though, before everyone moved away.

Raimun
2013-06-09, 08:30 AM
Let's see. D&D is not the first roleplaying game I've ever played but I remember my first D&D character.

It was a human cleric of some minor fighty god I don't even remember any more. The other players had already filled the three other traditional party roles (warrior-thief-mage) and I was expected to play the cleric. I agreed... after asking if I were limited to "maces or stuff like that". I weren't, so I tried to make my character as much a warrior as I could... by picking Greatsword proficiency and Quick Draw for my first level feats. Not the greatest picks, I know, but I didn't know any better at that point.

Yet, I was still doing just fine. At those lower levels we played that game, I was pretty much the deadliest warrior of the party and I had some fun magic to use.

Cataras
2013-06-10, 06:46 AM
Back in school we used mostly 1e pregens. But when we started again I made a female cleric called Jade Oshikawa. We were casually playing 1e again just before 3e came out. When it did, she became a cleric with delusions of fighter hood with her family katana. Man, looking back, I stole from so many sources for that character. Like the idea that she was some kinda "chosen one" like Buffy and that she was marked as such by the green eyes that inspired her name (Big Trouble in Little China anyone) lol

Anyway I do recall an incident where she found some magic plate armor that ended up being cursed. It bestowed the same AC as if the wearer was in regular clothes but the wearer thought it was the greatest thing ever. Had a really good argument with the paladin who kept trying to get me to remove it. "Sorry Tacitus, you had your chance but you said you didn't want the armor. Now that you see how good it works for me you're all mind change-y"

I also recall while we investigating that same dungeon that my friend's halfling rogue was eaten by a shark. Iirc it leapt out of a fountain! Anyway it swallowed him whole and he had to cut his way out from the inside.

We weren't serious players as you can tell, but we had a good time. :-)

Yael
2013-06-12, 02:43 AM
Lindis (Lyn) Valentine.
Human druid.
We started in Sunless Citadel (:'D)
We didn't finished the campaign because of issues with our DM and the place we were playing in. We reached level 6th.
I was just casting Flaming Spheres at enemies, killing them :P

Jay R
2013-06-12, 12:20 PM
I played Darkstar the Paladin as soon as Paladins were introduced in 1975. He lost his Paladin status on his first adventure, recovered it, eventually had his left hand nearly cut off, and it was repaired to have six fingers and two opposable thumbs. He survived an encounter with Orcus, and as a result, has an artifact that no demon will approach half a mile of. He lost a leg and had an animated mithril replacement made. He eventually married the wizard he adventured with, and the two of them settled down to rule as NPCs in the first world I created.

Mnemophage
2013-06-14, 12:29 AM
Some random wizard. I don't even remember her name.

First actually memorable character was Saeko Saishii, hypercaffeinated human monk in a teenaged 3rd edition D&D game. Saeko played like an anime protagonist, down to calling out horrifically overpowered enemies and treating every minute detail of life like a fated challenge that must be overcome as proof of her honor. Well, "honor". Saeko was addicted to caffeine and went nowhere without several jugs of highly fortified tea to justify her ridiculous anime leaps, which caused some interesting personality defects. Things like insatiable curiosity, inability to control her impulses and absolutely no regard for personal well-being. She actually died to the first thing we encountered, whereupon the DM took pity on me and produced a chest of unlabeled potions, one of which brought her back. Well, mostly. There were side-effects, the major one being that she wound up with blue hair, red eyes, and pointed teeth. This suited her just fine. I think her Charisma bottomed out at around 6.

But dear anime gods, that box of potions. That thing was both the cause of and solution to so many problems. Whenever the party would antagonize something we clearly weren't ready for, run into an obvious meat wall or generally endanger ourselves due to our own stupidity, we would just start chugging random potions until we either became gods upon the earth or died. The absolute "best" moment was when the half-orc "the DM won't let me play an actual orc" barbarian drank a sparkly pink potion that turned out to be a Potion of Love. The effect, if you don't know offhand, is that it causes an unstoppable (if temporary) infatuation with the first person the imbiber lays eyes on. Which was the gnome bard. Both were male. Apparently, orcs have a very fundamentalist understanding of the concept of love, one which causes 3d4 piercing damage. Believe it or not, this only became intensely disturbing in retrospect.

I keep wanting to fling the Potion Chest of Unmitigated Insanity into my own campaigns, but then I remember that I'm a good person and I want to make the world a better place.

byaku rai
2013-06-14, 12:41 AM
My first D&D character was Kale, a human sword-and-board fighter. My group was only just starting, and I came in a month after the game had actually started. My first time playing was as another player's character, a dwarf fighter (and naturally, my first time rolling anything was a crit which splatted a goblin, and then cleaving for the win), but Kale was the first character I ever made.

He was a bit of a brat, and didn't really know what he wanted from life except to eventually be a Master Samurai, some prestige class out of a book the DM had. Before too long, though, he had a schtick of bashing down doors, sometimes explosively enough to hurt people on the far side. His crowning moment of glory was breaking through a door, throwing a barrel of dwarven ale into the middle of some enemies, and then letting our rogue toss a torch on the ale to light them all up.

Sadly, he was killed a few sessions later. His alignment didn't really match the rest of the party's, and perhaps more importantly the DM's girlfriend at the time vocally disliked his personality. He died ignominiously, and the party looted his corpse and moved on.