PDA

View Full Version : leaping spell(3.5 metamagic feat, PEACH)

ArkenBrony
2012-10-10, 07:38 PM
Leaping spell [metamagic]
you can fuse with your spells, and travel to any point it affects

prerequisite: 1 other metamagic feat

benefit: When you cast a leaping spell, you disappear momentarily and reappear in any square adjacent the spell's area of effect. You take along any equipment you wear (up to the maximum of your heavy load), but you can't bring along any other creatures (except your familiar, should you have one).
Leaping Spell can be applied only to a spell with an instantaneous duration that affects an area (a cone, cylinder, line, or burst) that includes or is adjacent to your space at the time of casting. A leaping spell uses up a spell slot two levels higher than the spell's actual level.

Tvtyrant
2012-10-10, 08:05 PM
Scratch that. You would need a staff, which most melee isn't going to be able to use. Still awesome on an Artificer though. Quickened sonic snap with metamagic spell trigger leaping spell.

Jothki
2012-10-10, 08:37 PM
There has to be a way to abuse this. Divinations are the obvious possibility, but it looks like most of them with infinite range either have a non-instantaneous duration or are divine. Sending has a duration of a round.

ArkenBrony
2012-10-10, 08:43 PM
Scratch that. You would need a staff, which most melee isn't going to be able to use. Still awesome on an Artificer though. Quickened sonic snap with metamagic spell trigger leaping spell.

i'm sorry, i don't understand.

There has to be a way to abuse this. Divinations are the obvious possibility, but it looks like most of them with infinite range either have a non-instantaneous duration or are divine. Sending has a duration of a round.

yeah, i was pretty sure someone would find an abuse, but i thought the instantaneous duration would make it less abusive. i can only wait for an abuse of this.

besides abuse, does it seem good? balanced?

Tvtyrant
2012-10-10, 09:01 PM
Sonic Snap is a cantrip that autodamages an enemy, and is instantaneous. It has a decent reach (25 + 5 per 2 CL), and since it auto-hits you can ride it to an enemy.

But for the most part I think it is a fine metamagic. It doesn't do anything broken that I can see, and it allows for a little more mobility.

ArkenBrony
2012-10-10, 09:03 PM
is it area effect? and thank you, i've had this idea for some time now

Lyndworm
2012-10-12, 01:26 AM
Nope, sonic snap says "Target: One creature or object."

Why would it being AoE matter, exactly?

I applaud this homebrew, by the way. I'm a big fan of lightning leap, and this is a much better idea than a specific spell.

ArkenBrony
2012-10-12, 04:49 PM
i made it require AoE spells to be attached to. its AoE because if it was just a range, you could use a long range spell, and easily get a bette spell then dimension door as a 4th or lower level spell, happy you like it. :smallsmile:

Lyndworm
2012-10-12, 06:47 PM
I might just be totally blind, but I'm almost certain that the feat as it stands doesn't mention AoEs in any way... :smallconfused:

I see now that "location within 5 feet of the spells area" was meant to make the feat AoE-specific. I think that the feat could probably be cleaned up a bit, wording-wise, but the idea of it is still excellent.

Saidoro
2012-10-12, 09:04 PM

Range isn't area. That being said, Leaping locate city would work pretty well.

Lyndworm
2012-10-12, 09:24 PM
Please feel free to chastise me, but I've taken the liberty of cleaning up the feat somewhat.

Leaping Spell [Metamagic]:
You can fuse with your spell, traveling to any point along its path.

Prerequisites: Any metamagic feat
Benefit: When you cast a leaping spell, you disappear momentarily and reappear in any square adjacent the spell's area of effect. You take along any equipment you wear (up to the maximum of your heavy load), but you can't bring along any other creatures (except your familiar, should you have one).
Leaping Spell can be applied only to a spell with an instantaneous duration that affects an area (a cone, cylinder, line, or burst) that includes or is adjacent to your space at the time of casting. A leaping spell uses up a spell slot two levels higher than the spell's actual level.

Qwertystop
2012-10-12, 09:34 PM
Wait, so you can only teleport with your Fireball if you're right at the edge or inside it?

Astral Avenger
2012-10-12, 09:46 PM
Please feel free to chastise me, but I've taken the liberty of cleaning up the feat somewhat.

Benefit: When you cast a leaping spell, you disappear momentarily and reappear in any square adjacent the spell's area of effect. You take along any equipment you wear (up to the maximum of your heavy load), but you can't bring along any other creatures (except your familiar, should you have one).

Hmmm... Interesting, I was thinking it would work more along the lines of:

Leaping Spell can be applied only to a spell with an instantaneous duration that affects an area (a cone, cylinder, line, or burst) where the caster has a direct line of sight to the target destination. A leaping spell uses up a spell slot two levels higher than the spell's actual level.

Lyndworm
2012-10-12, 10:14 PM
Wait, so you can only teleport with your Fireball if you're right at the edge or inside it?
How I wrote it, yes; how Zetsu wrote it, you actually have to be in the center of the fireball.

Hmmm... Interesting, I was thinking it would work more along the lines of:

...Leaping Spell can be applied only to a spell with an instantaneous duration that affects an area (a cone, cylinder, line, or burst) where the caster has a direct line of sight to the target destination...
Is that an exceptionally necessary line? I don't see where it hurts anything either way, really.

ArkenBrony
2012-10-12, 11:57 PM
i know i wrote it as needing to be the origin, but that seems too clunky, i like it better with more freedom