PDA

View Full Version : Warforged question

SirWolf312
2012-10-11, 01:57 PM
One of my players is making a warforged aritificer and brought up the question of armor. Do the warforged get a bonus to ac or do they have to wear armor like everyone else?

Urpriest
2012-10-11, 02:15 PM
They have to wear armor like everyone else. I believe that there are some armors that are fluffed as warforged components though.

Hal
2012-10-11, 03:12 PM
One of my players with a warforged PC took summoned armor. He just plays it like he's a transformer, his armor kind of "folds out" onto him.

tcrudisi
2012-10-11, 03:25 PM
Summoned Armor: More than meets the eye.

vasharanpaladin
2012-10-11, 03:55 PM
One of my players is making a warforged aritificer and brought up the question of armor. Do the warforged get a bonus to ac or do they have to wear armor like everyone else?

Quick answer: Read the race block. If it doesn't say that the race gets a given feature, the race does not get that feature. :smallfurious:

Tegu8788
2012-10-11, 04:30 PM
Further on the component armor, that acts like skin, and can't be removed. So for a price, it gets an AC boost.

TopCheese
2012-10-12, 11:19 AM
Quick answer: Read the race block. If it doesn't say that the race gets a given feature, the race does not get that feature. :smallfurious:

Yes but we are dealing with WoTC here. It wouldn't be the first time that they split rules up for the same thing into different books and never compiled them together. I've seen magic item compendiums (wich didn't have everything) but not to many others.

But I'm sure the OP is sorry for asking a question and that you happened to stumbled across it. We should get someone to do something about people asking questions, what right do they have to ask questions???!!!
:smallmad:

vasharanpaladin
2012-10-13, 05:35 PM
Yes but we are dealing with WoTC here. It wouldn't be the first time that they split rules up for the same thing into different books and never compiled them together. I've seen magic item compendiums (wich didn't have everything) but not to many others.

No, they've actually been very good about this in 4e. All PCs have the same number of magic item slots available unless noted otherwise. This includes, incidentally, ONE armor slot, ONE arms slot, and TWO weapon slots. Thri-kreen don't get extra arms or weapons slots, warforged don't lose their armor slot.

It'd be broken otherwise. :smallamused:

Craft (Cheese)
2012-10-13, 06:11 PM
No, they've actually been very good about this in 4e.

Well, almost: One important detail you may have missed if you're building a Warforged Artificer is you can trade your STR bonus for an INT bonus. This particular bit (that's actually quite useful considering INT is your main stat) was only released as part of a web supplement and I don't believe it was ever compiled into an actual book.

ghost_warlock
2012-10-13, 06:12 PM
No, they've actually been very good about this in 4e. All PCs have the same number of magic item slots available unless noted otherwise. This includes, incidentally, ONE armor slot, ONE arms slot, and TWO weapon slots. Thri-kreen don't get extra arms or weapons slots, warforged don't lose their armor slot.

The placement of the rules for warforged attached components disagree with you. Not really any mention of them in the racial description but, lo and behold, there they are on page 113.

vasharanpaladin
2012-10-13, 07:19 PM
The placement of the rules for warforged attached components disagree with you. Not really any mention of them in the racial description but, lo and behold, there they are on page 113.

Because they're properties of the items, not the race itself. An item can be made into an attached or embedded component. It does no good to mention this in the race block, because the vast majority of the time the DM will drop general items that anyone can use, and component items don't come into the equation, and besides that, they look for the "Living Construct" tag anyway, so shardminds can use them too.

It's a rather stupid idea, really, because if the DM wants you disarmed and naked for a sequence you're going to be disarmed and naked, and no amount of weapons embedded in your forearms or armor bolted to your chest is going to stop it. So really, "attached" or "embedded" amounts to fluff in the end. :smallyuk:

ghost_warlock
2012-10-13, 08:08 PM
Because they're properties of the items, not the race itself. An item can be made into an attached or embedded component. It does no good to mention this in the race block, because the vast majority of the time the DM will drop general items that anyone can use, and component items don't come into the equation, and besides that, they look for the "Living Construct" tag anyway, so shardminds can use them too.
You're splitting hairs here. Attached and embedded items only exist because of the warforged (and, to a lesser degree, shardmind) races so they deserve mention in the warforged stat block, even if only as a note in the living construct trait. Furthermore, any general item the DM gives out can be modified into an attached/embedded component, which is something people who play warfordged/shardmind characters should be made aware of, which isn't as likely to happen if the description of the process is tucked away in the item section.

It's essentially no different than giving eladrin proficiency with longswords but neglecting to mention this anywhere but the equipment section.

It's a rather stupid idea, really, because if the DM wants you disarmed and naked for a sequence you're going to be disarmed and naked, and no amount of weapons embedded in your forearms or armor bolted to your chest is going to stop it. So really, "attached" or "embedded" amounts to fluff in the end. :smallyuk:

Entirely subjective. That might be your experience with DMs but I've had several that said something to the effect of "everyone's disarmed and tied up, but I guess the warforged still has his embedded dagger so he can start making thievery checks to free himself once the guards aren't watching."

TopCheese
2012-10-13, 09:52 PM

You missed the point of my post.

You freaked out at someone for asking a question which is like 75% of what the RPG section of the forums is (asking questions).
Nice going!!!

And since you have been proven wrong I won't add more to where things have been printed stuff. 4e does have the character builder so WoTC is learning to compile everything together.... But they still haven't in a book so I don't have to pay 10/month to get the info.

*washes hands*

tcrudisi
2012-10-14, 01:51 PM

Struck out your number because it's wrong. It's possible to go above two weapon slots.

Alan_Pehnereas
2012-10-14, 04:58 PM
Struck out your number because it's wrong. It's possible to go above two weapon slots.

Ironically, that's true for the Thri-Kreen. There are actually feats that let them hold light thrown or crossbows in their extra arms. So yes, they can have up to four weapons.

Tegu8788
2012-10-14, 05:13 PM
I do not think that word means what you think it means...

But back to the OP, no, Warforged to not get any kind of racial AC boost. They do have one for Will and defense throws, but not AC.