PDA

View Full Version : [PF] [PEACH] The Races of Ravnica

Hawk7915
2012-10-11, 03:51 PM
My playgroup is looking to run a Pathfinder campaign set on the plane of Ravnica (http://www.wizards.com/magic/multiverse/planes.aspx?plane=ravnica) (shortly after Dissension, long before Return to Ravnica). As the most experienced player in my group, the DM tasked me with homebrewing up some races, rather than trying to see if we could refluff a race to stand in as, say, Loxodon or Vedalken. Here are my attempts at Ravnican races, but before then, a few design notes:

1) While this is for a Pathfinder campaign, my design was very much inspired by 4th Edition (in terms of "all upside" races with flexible stats). For balance concerns, compare them to one another rather than to other Pathfinder races, since most of these creatures will be obviously superior to standard Dwarves and Halflings.

2) Related to the above: I didn't want to completely rewrite Humans and Elves from the ground up, so assume the following houserules are in play for those two races:

Elves: No longer have a Con penalty. May choose Int or Wisdom as a +2 Stat, in addition to always getting +2 Dexterity. Receive a +2 racial bonus to Knowledge (Nature) in addition to all other racial traits.

Humans: Now have a new trait called "Heroic Will", which grants a +1 bonus to all saving throws.

3) My design was that all races would get +2 to two different stats, +2 to two different skills, and then 4 "things" (bonus feats, proficiencies, situational damage boosts, defenses, vision or movement modes) and that no race had a LA. The only race I had to break this rule on were Faeries.

4) Favored Class bonuses are a WIP: please give your advice or suggestions!

And now, on with the show!:

DRYADS:
{{image scrubbed}}
Standard Racial Traits
Ability Score Racial Traits: +2 Dex; +2 Wis OR +2 Cha:

Slender and slight, Dryads possesses extreme grace as well as deep insight into nature and natural beauty.
Size: Dryads are Medium creatures
Base Speed: Dryads have a base speed of 30 feet.
Languages: Dryads begin play speaking Sylvan and Common. A Dryad with a high intelligence score may select the following languages: <WIP>

Defensive Racial Traits
Lifeforce: Whenever an effect would restore hit points to a Dryad, it restores an additional 1 hitpoint.
Pathfinder: Dryads are immune to the Entangled status. A Dryad may move through any sort of undergrowth (such as natural thorns, briars, overgrown areas, and similar terrain) at her normal speed and without taking damage or suffering any other impairment.

Feat, Sense and Skill Racial Traits
Camouflage: Dryads receive a +4 bonus on Stealth checks while in forested areas.
Skill Bonuses: +2 Heal, +2 Knowledge (Nature)

Offensive Racial Traits
Surprising Attack: Dryads get an additional +1 attack when flanking a target.

Favored Class Options
Bard
Druid
Fighter
Ranger
Witch

Guild Affiliations:
As spirits of nature and the wild, many of the rare Dryads of Ravnica are unguilded, considering themselves beyond "civilized" concerns. Those that do join a guild are almost exclusively amongst the ranks of the Selesnya, whose guild's purpose, goals, and beliefs align strongly with a Dryad's natural tendencies. It is not impossible to find Dryads working amongst certain Gruul clans, but a Dryad belonging to a guild other than Selesnya would be the exception, rather than a rule.

FAERIES:
{{image scrubbed}}
Standard Racial Traits
Ability Score Racial Traits: +2 Dex; +2 Cha OR +2 Int:

Fae creatures are small, delicate, gregarious, and cunning.
Size: Faeries are Tiny creatures and gain a +2 size bonus to AC, a +2 Size bonus to attack rolls, a -2 penalty to their CMB and CM, a +4 bonus on Fly checks, and a +8 size bonus on Stealth checks.
Base Speed: Faeries have a base speed of 20 feet, and a Fly speed of 10 feet (Average). They can only achieve an elevation of 10 feet.
Languages: Faeries begin play speaking Faerie and Common. A Faerie with a high intelligence score may select the following languages: <WIP>

Feat, Sense, and Skill Bonuses:
Skill Bonuses: +2 Bluff, +2 Perception

Offensive Racial Traits
Beguiling Words: Faeries add +1 to the DC of any saving throws against any Enchantment spells they cast.
Wee Warrior: Unlike a normal tiny creature, a faerie has 5 foot reach, as a small or medium creature.

Favored Class Options
Bard:
Ranger:
Rogue:
Sorcerer:
Wizard:

Guild Affiliations:
Whimsical, mischievous free spirits, the fae are typically guildless. Their love of pranks and information means that a few do find a home amongst the Izzet or the Dimir. Some Faeries, feeling an instinctive tie to nature, wind up serving the Simic as scouts as well. Of the blue guilds, only the Azorius is unfriendly to Faeries; the law, order, and rules of the guild clash with the faerie's natural disposition towards merriment, freedom, and practical jokes.

GOBLINS
{{image scrubbed}}
Standard Racial Traits
Ability Score Racial Traits: +2 Dex; +2 Int OR +2 Con:

Goblins are light of foot, possess keen intellects, and are surprisingly hard to kill.
Size: Goblins are Small creatures and gain a +1 size bonus to AC, a +1 Size bonus to attack rolls, a -1 penalty to their CMB and CM, a +2 bonus on Fly checks, and a +4 size bonus on Stealth checks.
Base Speed: Goblins have a base speed of 30 feet.
Languages: Goblins begin play speaking Goblin and Common. A Goblin with a high intelligence score may select the following languages: <WIP>

Defensive Racial Traits
Scrabbling Underfoot: Goblins get a +2 bonus to their AC against attacks of opportunity.
Shocking Conductivity: Goblins have a +1 bonus on Reflex saves and Resist Electricity 5.

Skill Bonuses: +2 Acrobatics, +2 Bluff
Low-light Vision

Offensive Racial Traits
Backstabbers: Goblins deal +2 damage when attacking a flat-footed creature or a creature they are flanking.

Favored Class Options
Artificer:
Alchemist:
Barbarian: +1 bonus on Strength checks to break an object and +1 CMB on Sunder attempts.
Rogue:
Wizard:

Guild Affiliations:
As the "cockroaches" of Ravnica, goblins show up in every red-aligned guild and in most guildless factions on the plane. They are canon fodder for the Boros, playthings for Rakdos, and fellow savage squatters amongst the Gruul. The only guild in which goblins can get a "fair shake" is the Izzet, as many Ravnican Goblins possess a brilliant mind underneath the annoying, sneering, and generally unpleasant demeanor and Niv-Mizzet respects intelligence, regardless of race.

LOXODON:
{{image scrubbed}}
Standard Racial Traits
Ability Score Racial Traits: +2 Str; +2 Wis OR +2 Con:

•As bipedal Elephants, the Loxodon are unfathomably strong and hardy, and possess keen senses and impeccable memory.
Size: Loxodon are Medium creatures
Base Speed: Loxodon have a base speed of 30 feet.
Languages: Loxodon begin play speaking Common and Sylvan. A Loxodon with a high intelligence score may select the following languages: <WIP>

Defensive Racial Traits
Nature’s Warden: Loxodon are tenacious protectors of their allies. Adjacent allies receive a +1 racial bonus to AC and Fortitude Saves.

Armorer: Loxodon may take Armor Proficiency, Weapon Proficiency or Weapon Focus as a bonus feat at 1st level.

Skill Bonuses: +2 Intimidate, +2 Knowledge (History)

Offensive Racial Traits
Powerful Build: Loxodon are larger than your average creature. They have a +1 bonus to their CMB and CMD, and a +1 bonus on attack rolls when making an Attack of Opportunity.

Stampede: Loxodon deal +2 damage when making charge attacks.

Favored Class Options
Cleric:
Druid:
Fighter:
Oracle:
Paladin:

Guild Affiliation
The Loxodon's natural insight and formidable strength make them a favored choice for neutral peacekeepers and guards on Ravnica. Those Loxodon that do ally themselves with a guild tend to belong to Selesnya and Azorius, as they are the two guilds that most care about the needs of the community.

Hawk7915
2012-10-11, 03:58 PM
ROTTER:
Standard Racial Traits
Ability Score Racial Traits: +2 Con; +2 Dex OR +2 Cha:

• The process of zombification gives a creature unnatural resilience and limberness, as well as a cruel determination.
Size: Rotters are Medium creatures
Base Speed: Rotters have a base speed of 20 feet.
Languages: Rotters begin play speaking Common. A Rotter with a high intelligence score may select the following languages: <WIP>

Defensive Racial Traits
Dead Flesh: Rotters have Damage Reduction 2/-

Lifeless Physiology: Rotters are immune to disease and poison. They are only healed by ˝ from positive energy, but take ˝ damage from negative energy. They are otherwise considered an Undead creature.

Steady, Sturdy: Rotters don’t suffer penalties to speed when wearing armor. They get a +1 bonus to their CMB against Bull Rush and Trip attempts.

Undying Resilience: Rotters become Staggered instead of Unconscious at negative hit points. They don’t die until they are at negative constitution score, instead of -10 hit points.

Skill Bonuses: +2 Knowledge (Religion), +2 Stealth

Guild Affiliations:
Rotters are shunned by Ravnican society as a whole, and are unwelcome in most guilds and in most civilized parts of the world. They are most often created and employed by the Rakdos guild, since life expectancy in the Demon Lord’s domain is short and undeath brings new and lasting entertainment. For the Rotters who don’t enjoy the thrill of the kill, the Golgari Swarm offers the closest embrace, and the ordinary citizens who find themselves reanimated can find work as farmers and cleaners in Ravnica’s undercity. Occasionally, the Dimir employ Rotters for “wetwork” or other unpleasant tasks that the living can’t handle.

Favored Class Options
Barbarian:
Cleric:
Fighter:
Rogue:
Witch:

VEDALKEN

Coming soon!

VIASHINO

{{image scrubbed}}
Standard Racial Traits
Ability Score Racial Traits: +2 Con; +2 Str OR +2 Cha:

Viashino are a tough and hardy race, and as descendants of dragons they are known for their forceful personalities and incredible strength.
Size: Viashino are Medium creatures
Base Speed: Viashino have a base speed of 40 feet.
Languages: Viashino begin play speaking Draconic and Common. A Viashino with a high intelligence score may select the following languages: <WIP>

Defensive Racial Traits
Heat Resistance: Viashino have Resist Fire 5. Viashino do not have to make fortitude checks to survive extreme heat.
Think Skin: Viashino enjoy a +1 bonus to natural armor due to their think, reptilian hide.

Skill Bonuses: +2 Craft, +2 Survival

Offensive Racial Traits
Ferocity: Viashino are dangerous when near death; they deal +2 damage while below 50% health.

Favored Class Options
Artificer: +1 Bonus on Disable Device and Use Magic Device checks.
Barbarian: +1/2 extra rounds of Rage per day.
Fighter: +1/2 CMB when making disarm or trip attempts.
Ranger: +1/2 damage when attacking a Favored Enemy.
Sorcerer: +1/5 Bonus Feat, taken from your Bloodline Bonus Feat list.

Guild Affiliations:
A Viashino's arrogance means they do not always see eye-to-eye with guilds, but they nevertheless have a presence in most all red-aligned guilds. The Gruul welcome the Viashino most readily, as the Viashino are fearsome, untamed, and monstrous creatures most at home in the wilder parts of the plane. Viashino are similarly renowned as incredibly talented and bloodthirsty warriors for the Cult of Rakdos. Some slightly calmer Viashino enlist with the Boros, serving as excellent vanguards. Most rare are Izzet-aligned Viashino; many Viashino have an intuitive understanding of magic and a respect for the Dragogenius Niv-Mizzet, but they are not a race naturally inclined to scientific study (even if that study usually leads to glorious, fiery explosions).

Saidoro
2012-10-11, 08:34 PM
Humans are still competitive with these even without heroic will, the flexible bonus feat is just really, really good.
Where are the medusas?

Hawk7915
2012-10-11, 11:42 PM
Humans are still competitive with these even without heroic will, the flexible bonus feat is just really, really good.
Where are the medusas?

Ah, I guess I should discuss a few races that, for our campaign, my brother and I vetoed as PC characters (although I, or someone else perhaps, may take a stab at them here):

Centaur: As of RtR they seem to be Selesnya's most prolific race but from my perspective they run into logistics problems as a creature that must be large, doesn't wear normal equipment, etc.

Flamekin: There were an astonishingly high number of "red races", and a being of pure fire felt hard to balance.

Gorgon: I cannot imagine having a gorgon as a PC race without either a hefty LA or a really gimped ability that doesn't actually feel like a Gorgon. I might take a stab at it since this was the biggest loss, but I'm not sure its feasible with the constraints placed on me. I chalked these up as creatures that, like Angels, Spirits, and Ravnican vampires, are simply too powerful to be available as a PC option.

Minotaur: I managed to make Loxodon, so this would be feasible...but they just felt boring and similar to the Loxodon (big guy, strength bonus, charging bonus, Wis or Con as secondaries). They also had the problem of being yet another "red race", and Goblin and Viashino seemed more interesting.

Merfolk: Our campaign is set ~1 year after Dissension, which I believe is almost a century before RtR. Hence, no sinkholes and no merfolk on the plane.

Shapeshifter: This is the other omission which I could see doing (they're basically just pathfinder-ized Changelings), but my DM wasn't interested in seeing them. I probably will add them here, eventually :smallsmile:.

toapat
2012-10-12, 12:05 AM
Merfolk: Our campaign is set ~1 year after Dissension, which I believe is almost a century before RtR. Hence, no sinkholes and no merfolk on the plane.

actually, Return to Ravnica block takes place ~ 5000 multiverse years after Ravnica block. The Ghost Quarter formed during the Shard of Nine Worlds period, and Ravnica hasnt lost its planar shard since

Merfolk werent in the first Ravnica block because they neither fit the setting, nor were they to be a tribe till Lorwyn block

Hawk7915
2012-10-12, 11:19 AM
actually, Return to Ravnica block takes place ~ 5000 multiverse years after Ravnica block. The Ghost Quarter formed during the Shard of Nine Worlds period, and Ravnica hasnt lost its planar shard since

Merfolk werent in the first Ravnica block because they neither fit the setting, nor were they to be a tribe till Lorwyn block

Thanks for the correction :smallsmile:. I didn't realize that the time gap was that huge; makes me wonder how Teysa is still a speaker for the Orzhov. Maybe it is a legacy name?

I know the design reasons Merfolk weren't in the first block and why they have an "excuse plot" so that blue's tribe can be in RtR; we're sticking with the no sinkhole thing as our reason but clearly that's just WotC's lame excuse for omitting them from Ravnica the first time.

Any comments on the races thus far? I'll try to post the rest today, but I'm curious what other 'brewers think of the Faeries since I worry that they are too powerful for a PC race. My brother thinks I actually nerfed them too much with the "10' elevation" rule. Thoughts?

CthulhuEatYou
2012-10-12, 01:53 PM
Viashino's movement speed should maybe be determined by the temperature as in the books :)
Dunno, something like:

Cold Blooded (Ex): While in temperatures lower than or equal to 80 Fahrenheit (21 Celsius) the Viashino gets a -10 penalty to movement speed, likewise, when in temperatures equal to or greater than 100 Fahrenheit (36 Celsius) the Viashino gets a +10 bonus to movement speed.

Although, this may not have very much effect in a Ravinica based campaign xD