PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas for a Sharn (monster) Gestalt Build?!?

HunterOfJello
2012-10-11, 11:29 PM
I recently was linked to the Sharn (abberation) creature in the book Anauroch [The Empire of Shade] and thought that it would be really fun to play one in a gestalt game that I'm in. (NOTE: I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT THE CITY.)

The game is level 15 gestalt and the DM has asked the players to "go crazy" with character builds and I feel compelled to do so.
~

For anyone who doesn't have a link and has no idea what a Sharn is, I'll give a quick overview of the main and interesting points.

Large Creature
4 RHD in Aberration, +5 LA
9 claws/hands (!!!), 3 bites/mouths
Hex Portals (can create 3 of these at a time and attack or shoot spells out of them, pretty crazy stuff. They can also use them to flank an enemy)
Regeneration 2, Evasion, SR 20
Fly 40ft
Spells: Casts as a Sorcerer 6 and Favored Soul 6. (Also, spells cast as a sorcerer or favored soul are cast like SLAs and don't require somatic, verbal, or material components)
Independent Action - this lets a Sharn take one of three different arrangements of actions per turn
1. 3 Standard Actions + 1 Move
2. 1 Full-Round Action + 1 Standard
3. 1 Full-Round Action + 1 move

~~~~~~~~~~

I want to try playing one of these with the 4RHD on one side and the 5LA starting on the other. The original ideas that occured to me were more levels in sorcerer, the use of ur-priest, or the use of sneak attack along with Multiweapon fighting for a ton of sneak attack dice per turn.

However, I'm very interested in what other ideas you guys can come up with for this type of creature in a gestalt build. So, what kind of builds would you think would be fun for you with this type of creature?

Wavelab
2012-10-12, 01:12 AM
The most obvious course of action to me would be something like this: 4 Racial Hit Dice/ 11 Sorcerer// 5 LA / 10 Favoured Soul, which would gives 17 Sorcerer casting and 16 Favoured Soul casting(or you could swap them around).

Lyndworm
2012-10-12, 02:46 AM
Normally, I would advise against such a move, especially in Gestalt play. However, have you considered the Mystic Theurge PrC? You only need 2nd level spells to qualify, so you could take it right after your RHD if you're willing to sink cross-class ranks into K. Arcana and K. Divine.

If you're wondering, dual-classes like the Mystic Theurge are discouraged in Gestalt play, but not banned, and it seems like a concept your DM might enjoy.

I suggest the following build:

LA 5/Rogue 9/Favored Soul 1-6//RHD 4/Mystic Theurge 10/Geomancer 1-6

This gets 3d6 Sneak Attack in addition to casting as a 17th level Favored Soul and a 17th level Sorcerer.

Feel free to substitute pretty much anything you want for Rogue; I threw it in there because you seamed interested earlier. I would suggest working in at least 2 levels of Paladin of Whatever (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#paladinVariantsFreedom SlaughterAndTyranny). You should consider going to 3 levels if you're a Paladin of Tyranny; their Aura ability is awesome. I wouldn't take more than that, though.

If you want to be really cheesy, throw in a level of Battle Dancer (from the Dragon Compendium), Monk with the Ascetic Mage (Complete Arcane) feat, or both.

Jeff the Green
2012-10-12, 07:16 AM
Something else that might be fun is to throw on a bunch of templates on the LA side. Unseelie fey, draconic, and half-illithid come to mind. Throwing on dry lich would be awesome, but you'll need 10 levels of walker in the waste. Here's what I'd do:
RHD 4/favored soul 1/mystic theurge 1/WitW 10/mystic theurge x//LA 11/Paladin of Tyranny 4/battle dancer 1/marshal 1/something x

Starting out you'd cast as a level 7 + x sorcerer and a level 8 + y favored soul, where x + y = 8. I'd put all the casting on the sorcerer side, personally. Nex level you'd become undead, giving you d12 hd and charisma to HP (you've got a +16 racial bonus, plus at least +4 item and +4 from levels, so +24, and if you start at 18 that gives you 32 for a +11 modifier), in addition to charisma to AC. The following level marshal will get you charisma to initiative and dexterity skills. In addition, paladin 4 gets you Charisma to saves, a debuffing aura, and turning for DMM. At 20 you end up casting as a level 11 + x sorcerer and level 12 + y favored soul.

For feats, you have to pick up Heat Endurance at 6. I'd suggest Alternate Spell Source (or Southern Magician), Extend Spell, Persistent Spell, DMM Persistent, Residual Metamagic, and Extra Turning. Persist divine power and a couple other buffs and then gish it up.