PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of running a Legend game soon.

Magic Myrmidon
2012-10-12, 02:32 AM
I figured I'd ask here for other people's experiences with doing the same thing. I love the system after a little bit of reading on it, but it does seem like it might be difficult to DM. At least, to be good at improvising with.

I saw the mook thing, and that is just fantastic. However, it is generic, and I don't want anything off the rails to be simplistic and boring.

So basically, does anyone have advice for running it? Any difficulties that they'd like to share? Or maybe tricks? Just what you think of running it in general, I guess.

Hopeless
2012-10-12, 03:53 AM
When i ran my first game I made a point of generating some npc's in that case I went for some Nomad Mercenaries and a Barbarian Woodsman with only the woodsman going through the full character generation.

That involved the players sneaking up a secret trail to the top of the hill where the raiders were holding their captives and celebrating (they were drunk) and eventually the players managed to free the captives and make their way back down the hill as the nomads realised what was going on (although other than freeing the captives they only took what loot the slain guards had).

Might be worth asking them about their characters at some point so you can work their back story into your game, in mine I had 2 nobles, a blacksmith and a woodsman and so far the nobles are in the running for a title and some lands of their own, the blacksmith is rediscovering steel and the woodsman has his own rival in the woodsman I mentioned above who I've used in cameo roles in a couple of adventures.

The players in my game didn't care for the combat maneuvers even after they made full use of them to bypass armour, head shots and so on.

I restricted magic to only spellcasting professions at the start so no common magic, this might not interest you but it makes healing potions much more valuable and the magical items they've found are far from earthshaking (except one which they haven't a clue about!) about the most valuable treasure they've found (as far as at least 1 player is concerned!) is a few ingots of steel which the barbarian has hoarded since I've made a point of mentioning their equipment is pretty much all bronze and mentioned about Orichalcum, Mithril (using Eleven Steel from the Arms book to explain that), Iron and of course Steel which has caught their interest more than the fact that one character has a pouch that is bigger on the inside than the outside but a Kite Shield still is too big to fit through the opening!

What are your plans for your game?

Are you leaning towards the Spider God's Bride?

What parts do you find most troublesome?

Magic Myrmidon
2012-10-12, 06:35 PM
I honestly don't have many plans as of now. I've always wanted to be in or run a campaign that was against the gods in some way. Taking down gods has got to make a player feel really cool. Otherwise, I might just use old campaign ideas that never actually finished.

I haven't heard of the Spider God's Bride.

The main issue is the way to make monsters. There aren't many readily available, and I don't yet have the system mastery to come up with stats on the fly. I know that they're working on a monster manual deal, and I'll eventually get experience, but it'll be difficult at the start.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-10-12, 06:48 PM
I thought this might happen when you put this in Other Systems and didn't give details about the game.

There are two TTRPGs called Legend. And you guys don't seem to be talking about the same one.

Marrethiel
2012-10-12, 08:58 PM
I thought this might happen when you put this in Other Systems and didn't give details about the game.

There are two TTRPGs called Legend. And you guys don't seem to be talking about the same one.
Correct:
Mongoose PUblishing have redone Runequest and strangely called it Legend
Also rule of cool have produced Legend.

Google "legend role playing game" and you get both on the top.

IMO: Mongoose's game is pretty good while RoC you may as well play Pathfinder and get stacks of Monsters and Modules.

Mongoose world has a good campaign called Age of Treason which I'm keen to run myself one day soon.

The Glyphstone
2012-10-12, 09:46 PM
If people wanted to play Pathfinder/3.x, they wouldn't be interested in Legend in the first place. The whole reason it exists is to carry the 3.x spirit without making the same design pitfalls of 3.x that the Paizo designers gleefully swan-dived into. Not that PF is bad, but pretty much the only thing it has in common with Legend is rolling a d20.

Magic Myrmidon
2012-10-13, 03:42 AM
Oh. Two systems, huh? Oops. Well, I meant the Rule of Cool one. Thanks for the clarification. I'll be sure to be more specific in the future.

The Glyphstone
2012-10-13, 10:29 AM
Try over in 3.x derivatives - it is a 3.x successor, so you'll get more applicable advice there.

Magic Myrmidon
2012-10-13, 01:40 PM
Alrighty. Will do. Thanks a lot!