PDA

View Full Version : Odd thought has led to question.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-10-12, 03:17 AM
In another thread, a thought experiement sparked an idea in my mind that involved placing walls of force on a somewhat less than stable structure.

What happens if the structure a wall of forces is anchored to crumbles around it?

Does it just fade away?

Does it remain as an unbound sheet of force?

Does it cause an explosion of force in all directions around itself?

I realized immediately after the thought came up that I have no idea. Does anyone else?

ThiagoMartell
2012-10-12, 04:07 AM
Actually, I'm pretty sure it floats. It doesn't say anywhere in the spell description (I always thought it did!) that it needs to be anchored and it's not even a conjuration effect with all of it's restrictions.

kardar233
2012-10-12, 04:07 AM
That's actually a really good question.

If it stays normal, I could totally see doing construction by building something (maybe just a mound of dirt) for the Wall of Force and then just moving it away, giving you a hanging Wall of Force. You could create floating, indestructible structures really easily that way without having to resort to Riverine and Immovable Rods.

If it fades away, that's kind of boring, but it also gives you easy ways to get around Walls of Force; for example, if anyone has Move Earth, just move the earth away from the bottom of the wall and it'll disappear.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-10-12, 04:17 AM
NM, just noticed that Wall of force doesn't actually have to be anchored to anything.

Sorry for wasting time.

supermonkeyjoe
2012-10-12, 04:17 AM
Wall of force is an evocation spell so unlike the conjuration "wall of" spells it does not need to be anchored to anything, you could cast it in midair if you really wanted to, good for readied actions against charging dragons!

Absol197
2012-10-12, 07:18 AM
Wall of force is an evocation spell so unlike the conjuration "wall of" spells it does not need to be anchored to anything, you could cast it in midair if you really wanted to, good for readied actions against charging dragons!

Yeah! I'm playing a Force mage right now, and I love doing tricks like that.

I also have the abrupt jaunt ACF, so one of my tactics is to stand in front of my wall of force and attack. Then, when they try to attack/charge me back, I pop behind it, and they can't get me! Then I just fly around to the other side, rinse and repeat!

Walls of force are fun!