PDA

View Full Version : PrC with Quick Spell Progressions

Leafcharm
2012-10-12, 09:02 AM
I'm currently looking into prestige classes with quick spell progressions. An example of which is, and mostly everyone's favorite, the Ur-Priest. But I'm looking for quick spell progression class that's arcane based.

Right now, only Sublime Chord comes to mind. Are there any other arcane Prcs that can do this?

dextercorvia
2012-10-12, 09:05 AM
Chameleon, Nar Demonbinder, and IIRC Beholder Mage

Edit: Suel Arcanamach is slightly quick. They get 5th level spells at 8th level.

LordBlades
2012-10-12, 09:19 AM
Technically Blighter fits the bill too, but the lackluster spell list and the fact that it's a straight downgrade from the most likely possible entry (druid) makes it rather bad.

Leafcharm
2012-10-12, 09:23 AM
Chameleon, Nar Demonbinder, and IIRC Beholder Mage

Edit: Suel Arcanamach is slightly quick. They get 5th level spells at 8th level.

Oh thank you very much! The Beholder Mage is exactly what I was looking for! I just need to find a way to get into the class without being a Beholder.

I'll try the other classes you suggested as well, and think up some builds. Thanks again.

mattie_p
2012-10-12, 09:30 AM
How to enter beholder mage (http://dictummortuum.blogspot.com/2011/12/lordofprocrastinations-dirty-tricks.html) (as well as some other nasty tricks that will get the DM to throw books at you).

GolemsVoice
2012-10-12, 09:31 AM
I believe there was some shape-shifting shenanigans, but I'm neither sure how it works, nor if you want to cheat that way.

Leafcharm
2012-10-12, 09:44 AM
Oh thank you very much! The Beholder Mage is exactly what I was looking for! I just need to find a way to get into the class without being a Beholder.

I'll try the other classes you suggested as well, and think up some builds. Thanks again.

Well, DM said no the Beholder Mage. Said the process to go into it is just too convoluted (Meaning to say, the Polymorph Any Object route was not allowed). Ah well.

Venger
2012-10-12, 10:11 AM
I'm currently looking into prestige classes with quick spell progressions. An example of which is, and mostly everyone's favorite, the Ur-Priest. But I'm looking for quick spell progression class that's arcane based.

Right now, only Sublime Chord comes to mind. Are there any other arcane Prcs that can do this?

boom (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181091)

check the chart, it'll tell you which classes have accelerated progression. they're all here .

what kind of character are you looking for? personally, I enjoy fatemaker.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-10-12, 10:14 AM
There is a class in Athas.org (Shadow templar IIRC) which is essentially an Arcane Ur-priest (Int based to booth), easy-ish pre-requisites; but has a lot of fluff attached.

nedz
2012-10-12, 10:40 AM

check the chart, it'll tell you which classes have accelerated progression. they're all here .

The column is sortable too, but only 5 are listed as Ac

Apostle of Peace
Chameleon
Divine Crusader
Knight of the Weave
Ur-Priest

dextercorvia
2012-10-12, 12:21 PM
The column is sortable too, but only 5 are listed as Ac

Apostle of Peace
Chameleon
Divine Crusader
Knight of the Weave
Ur-Priest

That skips the ones that require casting before entry, like Sublime Chord.

eggs
2012-10-12, 02:09 PM
The other link isn't complete and doesn't address spell acquisition rate very well. This index (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=8664) has a more complete list and breaks down the progressions themselves in a bit more depth (eg. Demonologist is only 4th level spells, but their progression is very fast; Nentyar Hunter only gets level 5 spells, but it gets them quickly enough to keep up with a straightclassed sorc; Knight of the Weave gains its lower-level spells at normal advancement rates, but races through its last few).

Leafcharm
2012-10-12, 03:11 PM

Oh thank you very much. I never realized how many Prcs had accelerated spell progression. The character I'm trying to build is an Arcane Hierophant, but I'm trying to find a good Arcane-based Prc that has a quick spell progression so that I don't have to power down my Druid side to much while still having access to 9th level divine and arcane spells with good wild shape and animal companion.

Leafcharm
2012-10-12, 03:13 PM
The other link isn't complete and doesn't address spell acquisition rate very well. This index (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=8664) has a more complete list and breaks down the progressions themselves in a bit more depth (eg. Demonologist is only 4th level spells, but their progression is very fast; Nentyar Hunter only gets level 5 spells, but it gets them quickly enough to keep up with a straightclassed sorc; Knight of the Weave gains its lower-level spells at normal advancement rates, but races through its last few).

Thank you. The previous list didn't show how far the spell progressions were.

By the way, I saw that a Bard has ACF that gives it an Animal Companion. If I go into Arcane Hierophant, does the Bard AC level up along with the Companion Familiar?

nedz
2012-10-12, 03:32 PM
That skips the ones that require casting before entry, like Sublime Chord.

I just sorted the linked table, which doesn't include Sublime Chord, among others.

dextercorvia
2012-10-12, 04:39 PM
I just sorted the linked table, which doesn't include Sublime Chord, among others.

I guess I quoted the wrong post. I meant that the linked table wasn't complete. It only lists PrCs which grant casting without requiring it to enter.

hex0
2012-10-19, 06:44 PM
The tables haven't been updated in a while. I suggested the following:

Demonologist
Nar Demonbinder
Sublime Chord
Blighter
Soul Reaver (Dragon 297)
Fiendslayer (Dragon 287)
Rage Mage (Dragon magazine version)
Knight of the Chase (Dragon 297)
Truth Seeker (Dragon 281)
Merchant Prince

I think some are Divine, but yeah. Worth a look.

danzibr
2012-10-19, 06:54 PM
Well... the only that came to mind were Ur-Priest, Sublime Chord and Blighter. I got owned.

hex0
2012-10-19, 07:21 PM
Look for the classes that stack caster level with a previous class for more cheese. This gets ridiculous with Trickster Spellthief and/or Ultimate Magus. Demonologist, Sublime Chord, and Nar Demonbinder off the top of my head.

You can also look at classes that have higher level spells at lower levels, such as Trapsmith or Telflammor Shadowlord.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-10-19, 07:37 PM
Thank you. The previous list didn't show how far the spell progressions were.

By the way, I saw that a Bard has ACF that gives it an Animal Companion. If I go into Arcane Hierophant, does the Bard AC level up along with the Companion Familiar?

If you want to use Arcane Heirophant, you could go something like Druid 8/ Suel Arcanamach 2/ Arcane Heirophant 8/ Seeker of the Misty Isle 1/ Contemplative or Paragnostic Apostle 1 (or a 9th Arcane Heirophant level). Use an Elf race to get the weapon proficiencies to qualify for Suel Arcanamach, and say you visited the Otyugh Hole detailed in Complete Scoundrel to get its Iron Will prerequisite for 3,000 gp without having to spend a feat on it. Be sure to get Natural Bond, Natural Spell, and Practiced Spellcaster at least once.