PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing an Adept

SleepyShadow
2012-10-12, 12:39 PM
Hello community, I am involved in a game with a group missing my usual players. Instead, there are people playing a healer bard, a savage species harpy, and a half-minotaur trying to dual wield orc double axes.

Gods help us all.

So in the sake of playing fair, I have decided to play an Adept. Yes, the NPC class. I am asking for whatever help I can get to make this lowly piece of glass sparkle like a diamond.

Thank you all in advance.

Dragrun
2012-10-12, 12:43 PM
im terrible at optomizing but for core at least i would go adept10/loremaster10

not much but like i said im terrible at this

SleepyShadow
2012-10-12, 12:46 PM
im terrible at optomizing but for core at least i would go adept10/loremaster 10

Can divine casters get into Lore Master?

Dragrun
2012-10-12, 12:48 PM
it says any type of casting

Gavinfoxx
2012-10-12, 01:00 PM
Adept isn't that bad. It's better than Monk, for sure. Here are some things to focus on:

1.) Poison! Get Master of Poisons. read the poison handbook: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4854.0
2.) Familiar. You get one. Read the Familiar handbook: http://dictummortuum.blogspot.com/2011/08/familiars-handbook.html
3.) Knowledge! Get knowledge devotion.
4.) Polearms! Use a Longspear and Gauntlet, or a Fauchard and Gauntlet.

Also, consider being a 'Religious Adept', for a domain. Also, add cleric prestige classes that add domains (or turn undead!) and such; those are GREAT. Use that to power Devotion feats, or divine feats.

Psyren
2012-10-12, 01:14 PM
Sovereign Speaker is a good option (Adepts explicitly qualify.) This will let you broaden your spell list considerably. Depending on how you read it, you could even gain domain slots (handy with Anyspell.)

Draz74
2012-10-12, 01:14 PM
Can divine casters get into Lore Master?

They can if they can get enough Knowledge ranks. So, more easily than Sorcerers.

Optimizing an Adept really isn't very different from optimizing any spellcaster, except for the easy access to the Hexer PrC (which is from Stormwrack, IIRC). Pick PrCs with full casting that you qualify for. Pick out your best spells and figure out how to (ab)use them optimally. With the Adept, this mostly means looking for the spells on its list that are decent Wizard spells that Clerics can't normally access: Polymorph, Scorching Ray, etc.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-10-12, 01:21 PM
They can if they can get enough Knowledge ranks. So, more easily than Sorcerers.

Optimizing an Adept really isn't very different from optimizing any spellcaster, except for the easy access to the Hexer PrC (which is from Stormwrack, IIRC). Pick PrCs with full casting that you qualify for. Pick out your best spells and figure out how to (ab)use them optimally. With the Adept, this mostly means looking for the spells on its list that are decent Wizard spells that Clerics can't normally access: Polymorph, Scorching Ray, etc.

Hexer is actually from Masters of the Wild.

eggs
2012-10-12, 01:31 PM
I mentioned this in the other thread, but Hexer is a full BA/full casting class specifically designed for Adepts, adding 5 Sorcerer/Wizard spells to the Adept's spell list, as well as a variety of Wis-based debuffing hexes.

Combined with Eberron Adepts' domain access, it can give an adept a fairly unique swath of abilities.

Something like Dread Necromancer 1/Adept 4/Dweomerkeeper 4/Hexer 10/Contemplative 1 would lose a caster level, but would have access to DMM, some Sorcerer/Wizard spells, 2 domains, and all the hexer debuffs. It could work as a springboard for a gish by using self-buffing spells and metamagics, or just as a party buffer metamagicking things like DMMed Reach Chain Polymorph or Celestial Aspect free Stoneskin.

SleepyShadow
2012-10-13, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the help, everyone :smallsmile: