PDA

View Full Version : Challenge: Max damage in one round

yougi
2012-10-12, 05:40 PM
The other day, in a game I DM, the mage, 8th level, went from full HP (46) to way dead when a 6th level archer (Rog4/Rgr2) with Rapid shot sneak attacked him and confirmed 2 criticals for a chunk of 80+ damage, which brought the following question to mind: "How much damage can a character deal in one round if EVERYTHING went his way?" So, I though to make it a challenge: who can make the character who can deal the largest amount of damage in a single round. Now obviously, a 1st level character cannot deal as much damage as a 30th level one. Let's start at first level and build up after that.

Rules of the game: PHB races only, classes from PHB 1 and 2, the DMG, both the Complete and the Races series. We're also looking at damage only, and not other statuses. Also, because equipment will be comparable between different characters, and because a first level character , let's keep it down to mundane equipment.

Disclaimer: I must say I'm not such an optimizer, and that I don't know much outside of core, so I guess I'll get out-optimized by many of you.

Disclaimer 2: I also understand that higher max damage is not necessarily better. We're not trying
to make a good or even halfway decent build, just to get a one-time incredible amount of damage, even if it's one to a million odds.

1st Level

1st idea: Sorc or Wiz with Precocious Apprentice, casting scorching Ray, and critting (for 8d6), dealing a maximum 48 damage. Not so bad, but not excellent. However, odds for such damage: about 1/33.6M.

2nd idea: Half-Orc Barb with 20 Strength, raging (so +7 Str bonus), with Power Attack (using it fully, +2 to damage), and critting with Scythe: (2d4+10+2)*4 = 80 damage.
That's starting to be quite a chunk of damage, but would only happen 1/1.3M.

3rd idea: Dual wielding human Rogue with Power Attack and two punching daggers and 18 Str, and obviously, crit and Sneak:
(1d4+4+1)*3 + (1d4+2+1)*3 + 2d6 = 60 damage. Not quite up to par with Barbarian. Without considering the odds of the target being flanked or denied their Dex, odds are about 1/59M.

4th idea: Dual-wielding Human Barb with Power Attack and two picks: one heavy, one light, and, obviously, 18 Str (22 raging) and two crits:
(1d6+6+1)*4 +(1d4+3+1)*4 = 84
Slightly better than the Half-Orc with the Scythe. Odds are around 1/133M.

At 1st level, best I can do is 84. What about you?

Siosilvar
2012-10-12, 05:44 PM
At 1st level, best I can do is 84. What about you?

80, you mean. You can't Power Attack with a light weapon (or with a BAB of +0, like your rogue there tries to).

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-10-12, 05:54 PM
Have the rogue dual-wield Heavy Picks instead. I mean, sure, he gets a -4 non-proficiency penalty to his attack roll, but it would significantly increase his damage output when he hits. If you're just looking for a theoretical maximum damage, that's definitely an improvement.

Metahuman1
2012-10-12, 05:56 PM
Orc Fighter, 22 Str, on a horse, with mounted combat, ride by attack and spirited charge + power attack. (2 flaws to help get all this.)

Using a Lance.

Crit, Full Power attack, on a charge, and max damage.

So, 10 (Max Damage.) + 2 (Charge.) +2 (PA) +9 (1-1/2 str.) =23. x3 = 69 from spirited charge. x3 again for the crit = a final total of 207.

Long odds of getting the max damage, but solid median damage is another matter.

Heliomance
2012-10-12, 07:30 PM
Multipliers don't stack like that. It would only be x5 overall, not x9.

Metahuman1
2012-10-12, 07:40 PM
Huh. I though Crits just multiplied most things.

besides, it's only on a nat 20 then confirmation. Not like it's gonna hurt. Well, not often enough to worry about.

Heliomance
2012-10-12, 07:45 PM
When working out how they stack, thinking of it as a x3 multiplier is misleading. It's better to think of it as a +200% bonus. Therefore, Spirited charge adds 200% base damage, and the crit adds 200% base damage, for a total of base damage +400%, or x5.

rweird
2012-10-12, 07:51 PM
human fighter 1:
Feats: Combat Reflexes, Weapon Focus (Light Mace), Two-Weapon Fighting, Lightning Mace (Went to a otyugh hole for iron will, retrained it for lightning maces*).
Because everything goes the best he does infinite damage because he gets an extra attack every time he crits, and he crits ever attack.
chance that it could actually happen: Impossible (without mechanic that manipulates rolls being added)
Total Cost in GP: 3010 GP+retraining cost. All mundane equipment, though the cost for the Otyugh hole makes it more costly than is reasonable to assume a 1st level character could have, but on the other hand, it is infinite damage, I bet someone else could find a way to do it for cheaper.

*the DM allowed it due to him being the lenient DM of Theoretical Optimization, most likely wouldn't work in a real game and you'd have to wait till second level.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-10-12, 07:54 PM
Depending on how much cheese you're willing to tolerate, two things spring to mind for highest theoretical damage. Either a war-hulking hurler chucking the moon for some ridiculous number of d6's or a wizard with eschew materials using major creation to create a block of anti-osmium, which also creates an absurd number of d6's in damage. Both are beyond extinction level events for the world they occur on though, so exact damage figures are kinda moot.

In the realm of the sane, you've got a dps optimized FB doing 4 figures by level 13-ish at the latest and, by a certain reading, kensai can do several hundred damage per strike by level 15-ish. Neither needs a multitude of multiclassing, just a decent race some good equipment and pounce.

Heliomance
2012-10-12, 08:13 PM
The absolute (non-infinite) world record damage is an incredibly complicated build that requires both complete system mastery and advanced mathematics to understand, and does so much damage that you can't feasibly write it down even using exponential notation.

If memory serves, it does that damage to itself, though...

Lisselys
2012-10-12, 08:33 PM
Yes it's true but that build enters online way after level 1, which the op requested.
I guess the best I can get is with a stronghearth halfling (With some elemental thing to remove the str penalty) druid who attacks together with his animal companion (riding dog) using metahuman1 stuff (No PA, but we can get something else nonetheless)
Assuming 18 str it's going to be
10 (weapon) +2 (Charge) +6 (Strenght) = 18
For the rider, which becomes 72 (43 less than metahuman1)
The dog, assuming we can get PA instead of one of those lousy feats gets
9 (Base) + 1(PA) +2 (Charge) = 12
Which becomes 60, surpassing metahuman1 by 17 damage point for a total of 132 damage at level 1.
Chance of happening: Very low
All of this could be INCREDIBLY stronger allowing the druid to buff himself and being an halfling druid 1 instead of simply druid (Racial class substitution)

Heliomance
2012-10-12, 08:38 PM
The dog won't benefit from Spirited Charge, nor will it get a x3 crit mod. It'll do way less damage than your calculations suggest.

dextercorvia
2012-10-12, 08:50 PM
Human Fire Domain Wizard with Precocious Apprentice (Scorching Ray), Bloodline of Fire, Spell Thematics (Scorching Ray), Fiery Burst, and Spellgifted (Evocation).

You cast Scorching Ray at CL 1 Wizard +1 Domain + 1 Spellgifted + 2 Bloodline of Fire + 1 Spell Thematics + 1 Fiery Burst = 7, which gives you 2 rays each dealing 48 damage on a crit, so that is 96 points of damage.

Edit:

Wizard with Animal Companion ACF, Bloodline of Fire, Obtain Familiar, and Precocious Apprentice (Light of Mercuria).

Cast Light of Mercuria, shared with your Animal Companion, and your Familiar. That gives the three of you 6 rays which each deal 4d6 points of damage vs. undead or evil outsiders, which means 288 damage, if they all crit.

Lisselys
2012-10-12, 08:52 PM
The dog won't benefit from Spirited Charge, nor will it get a x3 crit mod. It'll do way less damage than your calculations suggest.
You are right, my build goes from 132 to a lousy 96. BUT we can add Knowledge devotion to the mount, augmenting his damage by another 2 point going to 98. If only I could find a way to get Knowledge devotion at lvl 1 this could be fantastic.

Silva Stormrage
2012-10-12, 08:52 PM
The absolute (non-infinite) world record damage is an incredibly complicated build that requires both complete system mastery and advanced mathematics to understand, and does so much damage that you can't feasibly write it down even using exponential notation.

If memory serves, it does that damage to itself, though...

Do you remember the name of the build? I haven't heard of this one.

Heliomance
2012-10-12, 09:02 PM
World Record Damage: Multiple dirty tricks for insane synergy (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=6571.0)

Lisselys
2012-10-12, 09:09 PM
I improved it slightly. Still, I can't find a way to get knowledge devotion for a lvl 1 druid
A stronghearth halfling druid with the druid variant to get favored enemy in spite of wildshape who attacks together with his animal companion (riding dog) with mounted combat, ride by attack and spirited charge (1 flaw required.)

Using a Lance.
10 (weapon) +2 (Charge) +6 (Strenght) +2 (Favored enemy) = 20
For the rider, which becomes 80

The dog, assuming we can get PA and knowledge devotion (He qualifies if we add a flaw and use the feat to take knowledge as a class skill) instead of the lousy feats he gets.
Since he has 5 ranks in Knowledge (the same as the favored enemy of the druid) Which evens out with the -4 he gets from having Int 2 as a net +1, he could get a +2 on his attack leading to
9 (Base) + 1(PA) +2 (Charge) + 2 (knowledge devotion) = 14
Which becomes 28 for the critical, for a total of 108 at lvl 1, without using any spell.

Edit: Does anyone know if this houserule from srd has been abolished or what happened to it? I found it in my old version of the srd, but in the new one is nowhere to be found

HOUSE RULE: DRUID DOMAINS
With this option, each druid may choose a single domain from the following list: Air, Animal, Earth, Fire, Plant, Sun, and Water. The druid gains a bonus spell of each spell level, which may be used only to prepare a domain spell of that level (or of a lower level, if affected by a metamagic feat). The druid also gains the domain's granted power, except as noted below.
Druids who select the Animal domain or the Plant domain gain Skill Focus (Knowledge [nature]), since Knowledge (nature) is already a class skill for druids.
A druid who chooses the Sun domain gains the ability to turn undead 1/day as a cleric of her level, and cannot perform a greater turning.

Zdrak
2012-10-13, 12:23 AM
I improved it slightly. Still, I can't find a way to get knowledge devotion for a lvl 1 druid
A stronghearth halfling druid ...

Using a Lance.
A small Lance deals only 1d6 damage.

Anyway, here's my contribution:

Orc Barbarian level 1 with Monkey Grip, Power Attack and Reckless Rage feats (needs 2 Flaws), wielding a Large Scythe, and imbuing a Potion of Enlarge Person (this is within level 1 WBL)

Str is 18+4 racial+6 raging+2 size = 30 (+10 modifier); base weapon damage is 3d6 after being enlarged, max 18.

Damage: 18 (weapon) + 15 (1.5 x Str) + 2 (Power Attack) = 35

Quadrupled for crit, gives 140

Kelb_Panthera
2012-10-13, 12:57 AM
World Record Damage: Multiple dirty tricks for insane synergy (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=6571.0)

I have to have looked at that wrong. I'd swear that damage calculation looks like it actually has imaginary (in the mathematical sense, not the made up sense) numbers in it. In anycase that kind of damage could anihilate a planet if it didn't specifically target creatures only.

Madcrafter
2012-10-13, 04:09 AM

Wow. That is large enough that it could effectively be considered infinite (Up arrow notation! Of damage! To 73600!). Takes a while to set up though, and isn't only one character.

JeminiZero
2012-10-13, 05:48 AM
By exploiting Chicken Infested, Blood in the Water and Coup De Grace, a level 1 Warforged Commoner could in theory deal NI damage, as detailed here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241913).

Courier6
2012-10-13, 06:06 AM
My conribution

Orc whirling frenzy barbarian 1

weilding colossal bastard swords dual weild

while in rage (whirling frenzy)

Str score of (18+4(racial)+4(rage)=26)

3 attacks each doing 6d8((48)+8+1(power attack)(57)X2(critical)=114

3 attacks at 114=342

apply sassone leaf poison(created with psionic minor creation(hidden talent feat) for an extra 2d12 damage per hit, I will assume this damage is not multiplied by criticals, so a total of 414 damage.

EDIT:Oh, another much simpler way to get as much damage as you want is a first level dwarf of any class with the mark of warding, this gives them fire trap (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Fire_Trap) as an SLA 1/day, cast this over and over to get infinite damage.

Golden Ladybug
2012-10-13, 06:07 AM
A small Lance deals only 1d6 damage.

Anyway, here's my contribution:

Orc Barbarian level 1 with Monkey Grip, Power Attack and Reckless Rage feats (needs 2 Flaws), wielding a Large Scythe, and imbuing a Potion of Enlarge Person (this is within level 1 WBL)

Str is 18+4 racial+6 raging+2 size = 30 (+10 modifier); base weapon damage is 3d6 after being enlarged, max 18.

Expanding on this one; Orc Barbarian with 22 Strength (18 Base + 4 Racial), who was lucky enough to be fairly well off when he started his adventuring career (Barbarians get 4d4x10, and he happened to roll all 4s, meaning he has 160gp to spend).

Hearing that all the cool cats use magic, he bought himself a totally great wand of Enlarge Person (made at CL2 with only 1 charge remaining; costs 30gp) and a scroll of Magic Weapon (Costing 25gp), and a scroll of Mighty Wallop (25gp).

He, being the enterprising young Barbarian that he is, decided to buy a Huge Sized Warhammer, costing him a whopping 48gp.

Feats are Power Attack, Headlong Rush and Improved Unarmed Strike, and he trades out Rage for Whirling Frenzy and Fast Movement for Pounce.

One day, he finds something that he really, really wants to kill. He reads his two scrolls, rolling well on his Use Magic Device checks (DC21, and he has cross-class ranks; not an impossibility), and makes his big hammer even bigger and more magic. Then he pulls out his trusty wand, and uses up its single charge to make himself bigger. As a move action, he picks up his big Warhammer.

On his next turn, our Orc Barbarian goes into his frenzy, rocketing his strength up to 30, and granting himself an additional attack. He charges, pouncing at the end of his charge to hit twice (miraculously getting two twenties, and confirming the crits) with his Warhammer, rolling max damage both times and follows up with an Unarmed Strike (he takes horrendous penalties to-hit due to TWF without the feat, but why not go for broke when you're already taking all these penalties?), taking a hand off of his Warhammer as a free action.

This deals a pretty hefty amount of damage

24 (Weapon) + 15 (1.5 Str) + 2 (2H Power Attack) +1 (Magic Weapon) x4 (Crit + Headlong Rush) = 168 damage
24 (Weapon) + 15 (1.5 Str) + 2 (2H Power Attack) +1 (Magic Weapon) x4 (Crit + Headlong Rush) = 168 damage
4 (Weapon) + 10 (Str) +1 (Power Attack) x3 (Crit + Headlong Rush) = 45

381 damage, at level 1, with only a little bit of blatant cheese.

weilding colossal bastard swords dual weild

You can only wield a weapon that's one size category larger than yourself :smallfrown:

Courier6
2012-10-13, 06:22 AM
You can only wield a weapon that's one size category larger than yourself :smallfrown:
Where does it say that, in the PHB it only says

A creature can’t make optimum use
of a weapon that isn’t properly sized for it. A cumulative –2 penalty
applies on attack rolls for each size category of difference between
the size of its intended wielder and the size of its actual wielder.

molten_dragon
2012-10-13, 06:33 AM
Wow. That is large enough that it could effectively be considered infinite (Up arrow notation! Of damage! To 73600!). Takes a while to set up though, and isn't only one character.

It really makes you wonder why someone would ever go to that trouble, when it's considerably easier to just do infinite damage.

Golden Ladybug
2012-10-13, 06:35 AM
Sorry, I made a mistake; you certainly can wield a weapon that is more than one size larger than you are, but you can't wield a weapon that is not a Light, One-Handed or Two-Handed weapon.

The measure of how much effort it takes to use a weapon (whether the weapon is designated as a light, one-handed, or two-handed weapon for a particular wielder) is altered by one step for each size category of difference between the wielder’s size and the size of the creature for which the weapon was designed.

If a weapon’s designation would be changed to something other than light, one-handed, or two-handed by this alteration, the creature can’t wield the weapon at all.

Emphasis mine.

Your Colossal Bastard Swords can't even be wielded as Two-Handed weapons by a Medium creature, much less dual-wielded.

ThiagoMartell
2012-10-13, 06:51 AM
When working out how they stack, thinking of it as a x3 multiplier is misleading. It's better to think of it as a +200% bonus. Therefore, Spirited charge adds 200% base damage, and the crit adds 200% base damage, for a total of base damage +400%, or x5.

I always thought you were a dude

Answerer
2012-10-13, 07:28 AM
The damage then scales according to the following nonlinear difference equations
This remains the scariest statement I have ever seen in this game.

kardar233
2012-10-13, 07:43 AM
This remains the scariest statement I have ever seen in this game.

Yeah, that's pretty damn awesome. I have no idea of what the hell is going on in those calculations (or for that matter, the method itself) but I looked up up-arrow notation; that's ridiculous.

I wonder if we could get Graham's Number in damage...

Gandariel
2012-10-13, 07:59 AM
Expanding on this one; Orc Barbarian with 22 Strength (18 Base + 4 Racial), who was lucky enough to be fairly well off when he started his adventuring career (Barbarians get 4d4x10, and he happened to roll all 4s, meaning he has 160gp to spend).

Hearing that all the cool cats use magic, he bought himself a totally great wand of Enlarge Person (made at CL2 with only 1 charge remaining; costs 30gp) and a scroll of Magic Weapon (Costing 25gp), and a scroll of Mighty Wallop (25gp).

He, being the enterprising young Barbarian that he is, decided to buy a Huge Sized Warhammer, costing him a whopping 48gp.

Feats are Power Attack, Headlong Rush and Improved Unarmed Strike, and he trades out Rage for Whirling Frenzy and Fast Movement for Pounce.

One day, he finds something that he really, really wants to kill. He reads his two scrolls, rolling well on his Use Magic Device checks (DC21, and he has cross-class ranks; not an impossibility), and makes his big hammer even bigger and more magic. Then he pulls out his trusty wand, and uses up its single charge to make himself bigger. As a move action, he picks up his big Warhammer.

On his next turn, our Orc Barbarian goes into his frenzy, rocketing his strength up to 30, and granting himself an additional attack. He charges, pouncing at the end of his charge to hit twice (miraculously getting two twenties, and confirming the crits) with his Warhammer, rolling max damage both times and follows up with an Unarmed Strike (he takes horrendous penalties to-hit due to TWF without the feat, but why not go for broke when you're already taking all these penalties?), taking a hand off of his Warhammer as a free action.

This deals a pretty hefty amount of damage

4 (Weapon) + 10 (Str) +1 (Power Attack) x3 (Crit + Headlong Rush) = 45

381 damage, at level 1, with only a little bit of blatant cheese.

You forgot the 1.5 str bonus to attacks with the hammer, Not that it matters that much.. :P

Golden Ladybug
2012-10-13, 08:11 AM
Oh, it matters; its the difference between technically, if everything goes right, being able to kill an Old Red dragon at level 1 and not :smalltongue:

yougi
2012-10-13, 08:56 AM
80, you mean. You can't Power Attack with a light weapon (or with a BAB of +0, like your rogue there tries to).

Yes, did not think about that.

Have the rogue dual-wield Heavy Picks instead. I mean, sure, he gets a -4 non-proficiency penalty to his attack roll, but it would significantly increase his damage output when he hits. If you're just looking for a theoretical maximum damage, that's definitely an improvement.

It's true. However, the non-proficiency penalty AND the TWF penalty for using two one-handed weapons is a total of -8 for each attack. Even with 18 Str and a +0 BAB, that's -4, which means that a 20 is not a hit on anything with AC17, and therefore not a crit... That is some horrible build, but meh, those are the rules of the game! :D

Total Cost in GP: 3010 GP+retraining cost. All mundane equipment, though the cost for the Otyugh hole makes it more costly than is reasonable to assume a 1st level character could have, but on the other hand, it is infinite damage, I bet someone else could find a way to do it for cheaper.

While infinite damage should be enough to win this challenge, it only qualifies for the extra-cheese section. ;)

*snip*

Regarding my cheese tolerance: pretty low, but thanks anyway :)

Regarding the Kensai comment: how exactly would that work?

Yes, but we assumed only non-magical equipment, not WBL, and therefore no Enlarge person.

ADDENDUM* TO THE RULES OF THE GAME:
Magical buffs are okay if the character can cast it on themselves. Animal companions are also okay, given that they're part of the character...

* I actually have no idea what addendum means.

Answerer
2012-10-13, 10:10 AM
* I actually have no idea what addendum means.
It's Latin for "a thing to be added."

Otodetu
2012-10-13, 10:57 AM

A voice of reason, after so long, it is good to be back here.

Ninja PieKing
2012-10-13, 11:38 AM
Surprised nobody has mentioned pun-pun yet.

Eugenides
2012-10-13, 12:07 PM
Surprised nobody has mentioned pun-pun yet.

It's an old concept that basically everyone knows, and really, total optimization of the world isn't the same concept as dealing as much damage as you possibly can.

Yes, Pun-Pun can do it. Is it actually worth a mention? Not really.

molten_dragon
2012-10-13, 07:02 PM
I wonder if we could get Graham's Number in damage...

A d2 crusader might be able to do it. It's a bit unclear whether the aura of chaos stance gives you the choice of using it or whether it is automatic. If you have a choice, then the d2 crusader can stop its damage at essentially any point it chooses. If not, its damage is always infinity.

Invader
2012-10-13, 07:35 PM
I chose which ever attack does the most damage and then make that a coup de grace on a balor while being surround by an infinte number of frost worms and balors all with 1 hit point. Their resulting cascade of death throes would continue for an infinte amount of damage.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-10-13, 08:11 PM
Kensai's power surge class feature gives a +8 unnamed bonus to str for a move action and a successful concentration check. Since it's an EX ability it's a non-magical source giving an unnamed bonus, which may be ruled to stack with itself. The RAW on same source stacking that I've always seen cited specifies magical sources or perhapse even just spells and spell-likes.

If it's ruled to stack then a kensai can, after charging up for four rounds, have a total of +64 to str for one round followed by several rounds of progressively less bonus as the uses of power surge wear off one at a time.

Let's stat it out.

Human <Full BAB class> 5/ kensai 10 with no equipment (just for simplicity's sake)

18 base +3 for level ups makes str 21. Four rounds of charging up with power surge turns that into 85 for a +37 str bonus.

Give him a greatsword, and the usual uber-charger suspects (pounce, PA, and Leap attack, no need for shock-trooper with that bonus) and his charge is 3 attacks doing 2d6 +55str +36 leap attack giving us 98 average damage per hit for 294 if they all hit.

Just to reiterate, those are the numbers before equipment, crits, etc, and it's not even max damage for the weapon's dice, or an oversized greatsword.

Naturally, if you decide power surge falls under the same-source bonus rule, then the whole thing is null, but like I said, that ruling isn't clear-cut RAW.

LadyLexi
2012-10-14, 07:45 AM
Half Minotaur Goliath Loath Touched with Monkey grip...
Gargantuan Scythe (according to arms+equip because I think its right) says that it does 6d6 damage, with a +12 str mod, so +18 damage. +21 if raging.
228 on my max crit. This is ECL 4, but 1 Barbarian level.

Allanimal
2012-10-14, 02:36 PM
Using a Lance.

Charge does not give a +2 to damage, only +2 to hit.

Heliomance
2012-10-14, 07:27 PM
I have to have looked at that wrong. I'd swear that damage calculation looks like it actually has imaginary (in the mathematical sense, not the made up sense) numbers in it. In anycase that kind of damage could anihilate a planet if it didn't specifically target creatures only.
Put it this way - I'm a third year maths student, and I don't understand what's going on there.

I always thought you were a dude

Long story.

Ashardalon125
2012-10-14, 08:03 PM
I don't have much to add aside from a mention of 3.0 Weaponmaster. I pose kaorti resin scimitar with the improved critical ability. Already x5 damage, in one hit. I might do more number crunching later.

rockdeworld
2012-10-14, 08:25 PM
Put it this way - I'm a third year maths student, and I don't understand what's going on there.
Computer science would help. i is an index, not an number.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-10-14, 08:34 PM

I did look at it wrong then. I was looking at it as a piece of trig. At least I think imaginary numbers were trig?

Heliomance
2012-10-14, 08:37 PM
Yeah, I figured that. I still don't follow it, though that's probably in part due to the poor notation forced by text.

I did look at it wrong then. I was looking at it as a piece of trig. At least I think imaginary numbers were trig?

No, imaginary numbers are their own field of study, though trig does interact with them in interesting ways.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-10-14, 08:42 PM
Yeah, I figured that. I still don't follow it, though that's probably in part due to the poor notation forced by text.

No, imaginary numbers are their own field of study, though trig does interact with them in interesting ways.

Either way I was looking at it wrong since that's not what that particular i was supposed to represent. :smalltongue:

Ashardalon125
2012-10-14, 09:03 PM
I'd like to make an adjustment to my previous point. Kaorti-resin scimitar would have a 5x on a crit (which with a scimitar, is pretty big).

Battleship789
2012-10-14, 10:26 PM
human fighter 1:
Feats: Combat Reflexes, Weapon Focus (Light Mace), Two-Weapon Fighting, Lightning Mace (Went to a otyugh hole for iron will, retrained it for lightning maces*).
Because everything goes the best he does infinite damage because he gets an extra attack every time he crits, and he crits ever attack.
chance that it could actually happen: Impossible (without mechanic that manipulates rolls being added)

*the DM allowed it due to him being the lenient DM of Theoretical Optimization, most likely wouldn't work in a real game and you'd have to wait till second level.

Just take a flaw instead of going to an Otyugh hole?

The damage record equations (once solved) are, I believe, just recursive functions with a dampening element so that the damage doesn't go to infinity. (The recursive part is from Fate Link and Blood of the Martyr and the dampening element is a damage reduction against spells, iirc.) The hard part is solving the difference equations (and having the computational power to find an answer).