PDA

View Full Version : Transmancer(wizard build) PF

Venser
2012-10-12, 06:13 PM
Transmancer build

Hello :)

This is my first guide so forgive me if it does not turn out too good. I just switched to PF a couple of months ago and I haven't had much time to study it. This build uses only Core rulebook and Advanced Player’s Guide.

Introduction

Transmancer is a wizard who can play any role in the party, from buffer to tank. I just stumbled upon this build today and it might need a bit more work to reach the very peak of its power. The main goal of transmancer is to buff yourself and you can easily, in one turn, gain an ability boost of +17. How is this possible, you ask? Well, let me show you :D

Ability scores

Strength:
When I made transmancer, increasing strength was my priority. Ofcourse, many would go with int while playing a wizard, but transmancer does not have many spells which he could cast on his foes and int is not so important to him. Also, due to his levels in eldrich knight and the nature of this build, strenght is an important score to increase if you want your transmancer to be a melee dps.

Dexterity:
In my opinion, this is one of the more important abilities for wizards in early game. Later on, it is not so important because you can easily give it a +17 boost. However, if you want to make a wacky build and troll your parties tank, dexterity is the perfect ability for you. My first tank transmancer had a dexterity score of 55 and 54 AC completely naked.

Constitution:
I wont’ say anything that you already don’t know. A high constitution is and always will be of grave importance to all classes.

Intelligence:
Now, this is a tricky one. I made transmancer to be a melee wizard who would not focus on casting spells. However, you do not need to follow my example. Although a transmancer has almost no spells which can harm his foes, giving a +17 ability boost to an already high intelligence and raising the spell save DC for your disintegrate by 8 is pretty epic, if you ask me.

Wisdom:
This is the least important ability for transmancer. Except for raising your will save, it gives you nothing else, so I would not focus on it.

Charisma:
Like wisdom, only completely useless.

Races:

Human:
This is a good race for transmancer due to his +2 ability increase and a bonus feat.

Elf:
This is a race I strongly recommend. +2 to dex and int is a great boost for any wizard, although that -2 on constitution can be a little tricky in the early game.

Class levels:

Fighter 1
Wizard 9
Eldrich Knight 10

Fighter:
Nothing special, you just take it to be able to go into eldritch knight and gain 1 bonus feat.

Wizard:
For this build, you must have school specialization transmutation and you must take the enhancement variant class from Advanced player’s guide. Without this, the build does not work.

Eldrich knight:
Sure, you lose one spellcasting level, but this really is a great class if you are going to make a melee wizard. Plus levels in this class stack with fighter and wizard levels.

Level progression:

1. Fighter
2. Wizard
3. Wizard
4. Wizard
5. Wizard
6. Wizard
7. Eldrich knight
8. Eldrich knight
9. Eldrich knight
10. Eldrich knight
11. Eldrich knight
12. Eldrich knight
13. Eldrich knight
14. Eldrich knight
15. Eldrich knight
16. Eldrich knight
17. Wizard
18. Wizard
19. Wizard
20. Wizard

Feats for melee transmancer:

1. Improved initiative, Weapon focus (falchion), Toughness (if human)
3. Power Attack
5. Dodge
6. Quicken spell
7. Arcane armor training, Cleave(or any other combat feat)
9. Arcane armor mastery
11. Arcane Shield, Vital strike
13. Critical focus
15. Improved vital strike, Bleeding critical
17. Really any feat
19. Really any feat

Thanks to the extremely versitile nature of the build, if works perfectly with almost any feat. You do not need to fear that you will take a useless feat.

Magical items:
+6 blets or headbands are most important items for this build.

How does the build work?

This entire build is based around three abilities:

Physical Enhancement:

You gain a +1 enhancement bonus to one physical ability score (Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution). This bonus increases by +1 for every five wizard levels you possess to a maximum of +5 at 20th level. You can change this bonus to a new ability score when you prepare spells. At 20th level, this bonus applies to two physical ability scores of your choice.

For a melee build, choose either str or con. At level 20, pick both. For ranged build chose dex or con and at lvl 20, pick both.

Augment (Sp):

As a standard action, you can touch a creature and grant it either a +2 enhancement bonus to a single ability score of your choice or a +1 bonus to natural armor that stacks with any natural armor the creature might possess. At 10th level, the enhancement bonus to one ability score increases to +4. The natural armor bonus increases by +1 for every five wizard levels you possess, to a maximum of +5 at 20th level. This augmentation lasts a number of rounds equal to 1/2 your wizard level (minimum 1 round). You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Intelligence modifier.

This ability is the bread and butter of this build. It gives you an amazing ability boost and it basicaly shapes your character.

Perfection of Self (Su):

At 8th level, as a swift action you can grant yourself an enhancement bonus to a single ability score equal to 1/2 your wizard level (maximum +10) for one round. You may use this ability for a number of times per day equal to your wizard level.

THIS!
This ability is amazing. You will get a +9 ability boost as a swift action. +9 to ANY ability and you van use this ability 19 times per day at lvl 20.

So, how do these three go together?

First, put one spell which increases your ability score by +4(bear's endurance, cat's grace etc.) on quick cast. When entering the battle, depending on the need of your party, you can quick cast the chosen spell, gaining +4 on one ability and then use Augment as a standard action, gaining another +4 and Perfection of Self as a swift action to gain another +9 on a single ability score. This is a +17 ability boost in one round, and thanks to the nature of these abilities, your transmancer will be extremely versitile character.

That's all, leave your opinions :D

eggs
2012-10-12, 06:30 PM
Enhancement bonuses don't stack.

Venser
2012-10-12, 06:35 PM
Enhancement bonuses don't stack.

How come they don't?

Acanous
2012-10-12, 06:37 PM
Also, that bonus from Physical Enhancement only counts Wizard levels. Not overall level. So you don't get to enhance two unless you have 20 Wizard levels, and with your current build you're looking at a total of +2 per use.

eggs
2012-10-12, 06:37 PM
"An enhancement bonus represents an increase in the sturdiness and/or effectiveness of armor or natural armor, or the effectiveness of a weapon, or a general bonus to an ability score. Multiple enhancement bonuses on the same object (in the case of armor and weapons), creature (in the case of natural armor), or ability score do not stack. Only the highest enhancement bonus applies. Since enhancement bonuses to armor or natural armor effectively increase the armor or natural armor's bonus to AC, they don't apply against touch attacks."
Ed. link (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/basics-ability-scores/glossary#TOC-Bonus-Enhancement-)

Also Eldritch Knight levels don't count as Wizard levels for class abilities (just casting), but that's less central to the build.

Slipperychicken
2012-10-12, 08:04 PM
How come they don't?

This serves to keep numbers like ability scores and Armor Class largely under control, which promotes game balance.

Armor bonuses don't stack with other Armor bonuses, Enhancement bonuses don't stack with each other, Dodge bonuses, etc.

grarrrg
2012-10-12, 08:13 PM
This serves to keep numbers like ability scores and Armor Class largely under control, which promotes game balance.

Armor bonuses don't stack with other Armor bonuses, Enhancement bonuses don't stack with each other, Dodge bonuses, etc.

Actually, Dodge is one of the few that DOES stack.

Link (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/basics-ability-scores/glossary)
"The important aspect of bonus types is that two bonuses of the same type don't generally stack. With the exception of dodge bonuses, most circumstance bonuses, and racial bonuses, only the better bonus of a given type works. Bonuses without a type always stack, unless they are from the same source."