PDA

View Full Version : Warblade//Spellcaster?

Zelkon
2012-10-12, 09:14 PM
How do I create an effective gestalted warblade and spellcaster?

Fouredged Sword
2012-10-12, 09:26 PM
Warblade + spellcaster works fairly well.

Warblade 20 // wizard 1 / rogue 4 / trapsmith 5 / swiftblade 10 also is very nice, and has sneak attack for craven awesomeness applied to your warblade strikes.

Warblade 20 // archivist 20 is good for a divine caster.

Stick to Int based casting and you really can't go too wrong.

Warblade is a active class, but as luck has it spellcasting can be a passive ability as much as an active one. Take battlefield control, buffs, and utility. Strikes will be all the damage you need.

Felyndiira
2012-10-12, 09:39 PM
If you're looking for a primary spellcaster, I would go with the cloistered cleric. You cover for the Cleric's poor attack bonus and poor hit dice with the warblade, and gain more skill points and a spell list that synergize very well with a melee attack style. You can also take advantage of knowledge devotion and divine feats, including using DMM Persist to buff yourself with spells like Maximized Ice Axe (which I do believe works with maneuvers).

A lot of cleric prestige classes work great with warblade as well, especially when you can ignore their poor BAB progressions or poor HP. Examples include contemplative (more domains, more domain powers) and divine oracle (add Evasion to your list of tricks).

Wizards aren't usually made to be frontline fighters, although the powerful spell list is good and the INT synergy could come into handy. Clerics have the stuff that will be useful to melee covered though, so the spell list isn't really going to synergize that well with your warblade; it's only for good utility and INT synergy.

razorback
2012-10-12, 09:51 PM
What about Warblade/Psion? No armor check to worry about... Metamorphosis... self-buffs... gravy.

Hirax
2012-10-12, 09:55 PM
Wizard5/swiftblade9/abjurant champ5/X1 would be fine, if you're ok with using the luminous armor and shield spells.

Tvtyrant
2012-10-12, 09:56 PM
Persist orientated Cloistered Cleric would be great, since you can grant yourself all day buffs.

Zelkon
2012-10-12, 10:05 PM
Forgot to add, more than 2 PrCs isn't viable.
Persist works as thus:Spells with either personal range or a fixed range expressed in a specific, unchanging distance can be persisted as normal. Spells with range of "touch" can be persisted as follows:
1 round duration now last 1 round / caster level.
Spells with a duration of 1 round / caster level now last 1 minute / caster level.
Spells with a duration of 1 minute / caster level now last 10 minutes / caster level.
Spells with a duration of 10 minutes / caster level now last 1 hour / caster level.
Spells with a duration of 1 hour / caster level now last 24 hours.
Spells with other durations will be dealt with in a similar manner.
Spells with an instantaneous duration cannot be Persisted.
This still carries the same 6 level spell slot adjustment as usual for Persistent Spell.
And I can only use the two PHBs, two DMGs, three other books, and a MM.

eggs
2012-10-12, 10:15 PM
{table=head]Lvl|Class|Class
1|Cloistered Cleric 1|Warblade 1
2|Cloistered Cleric 2|Warblade 2
3|Cloistered Cleric 3|Warblade 3
4|Church Inquisitor 1|Warblade 4
5|Cloistered Cleric 4|Ordained Champion 1
6|Cloistered Cleric 5|Shiba Protector 1
7|Ordained Champion 2|Warblade 5
8|Ordained Champion 3|Warblade 6
9|Divine Disciple 1|Warblade 7
10|Divine Oracle 1|Warblade 8
11|Contemplative 1|Warblade 9
12|Divine Oracle 2|Warblade 10
13|Divine Oracle 3|Warblade 11
14|Divine Oracle 4|Warblade 12
15|Divine Oracle 5|Warblade 13
16|Divine Oracle 6|Warblade 14
17|Divine Oracle 7|Warblade 15
18|Divine Oracle 8|Warblade 16
19|Divine Oracle 9|Warblade 17
20|Divine Oracle 10|Warblade 18[/table]

Fits together very nicely, and combines heavy wisdom focus and strikes that also channel spells. The one downside is a minor missed opportunity on the Warblade's Int-based benefits.

EDIT:
Levels arranged for more readability.

Zelkon
2012-10-12, 10:16 PM
I'd really like to keep to under 3 PrCs total.

A_S
2012-10-12, 11:22 PM
I'd say go:

Warblade 10/Eternal Blade 10//Wizard 5/Swiftblade 9/Wizard +6

...for maximal action economy abuse.

Endarire
2012-10-13, 02:35 AM
Fire Elf WarbladeX//Generalist Transmuter Domain Wizard5/Incantatrix10/Archmage5. There. You have plenty of durability and casting. No overlaping PrCs, and no more than 2 PrCs.

I wish I'd used a similar build when I played my last gestalt character. (I went for Winged Gray Elf Conjurer/Artificer and lost to a nat 1 on a Will save vs. dominate. Oops!)