PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Changeling Remake (As Template)

Jane_Smith
2012-10-12, 09:57 PM
Howdy folks. Like the tiefling, aasimar, or planetouched in general, I am making them templates because lets face it, saying all tieflings are humans with demonic heritage or aasimars are humans with celestial heritage is kinda lame. What about elves, dwarves, halflings, etc? Wheres the love!?! Considering demons, angels, etc can breed with anything, it does not seem so far fetched to allow tieflings and aasimars of all varieties that half-fiend/celestial templates apply to.

Also, its stated clearly in several sources like 3.0, 3.5, and Races of Destiny, etc, that tieflings/aasimar are all human+, with fey'ri (from forgotten realms), and a orc-tiefling like race from forgotten realms being the elf/orc versions of tieflings, my goal with making them templates is to simplify the process a bit and allow demonic/angel-blooded halflings, and so on.

This also applies to changelings from pathfinder to some degree, as lore, they are ONLY human/hag hybrids. But hags can come from any humanoid race, or even monstrous humanoids (any such female with magical abilities can become a hag via ritual), so why can't there be changelings of any humanoid species if hags retain there ability to reproduce? Thus why this template is being made.

I am aware making templates of some races makes the end results much stronger, considering they get the base races traits + the template traits, but I try to make all my templates of such a nature +1 CR max so it will not break the game to much. DM's will obviously have to figure out how to handle these in level 1-2 games, and its up to them to allow them or not, as with any template or race for players. Which is why I would like help with this to make sure its as close to CR +1 as possible.

In the past, I changed, and buffed, the changeling base race, but was unsatisfied with the results, you can find it here; http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241151

Anyway, please review/critique/etc <3. I want to fine tune this a bit more.

The Changeling

Changeling is a template that can be added to any corporeal humanoid or monstrous humanoid (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

A changeling uses all the base creature’s statistics and abilities except as noted here.

Ability Scores: +2 Wisdom and +2 Charisma.

Size and Type: Same as the base creature.

Special Attacks: A changeling retains all the special attacks of the base creature and also gains the following:

* 2 Claws attacks that do 1d4 + str bonus damage (1d3 if small, 1d4 medium, 1d6 if large). If the base creature already possesses claws, there damage die is increased by one step instead (d4 to d6, d6 to d8, d8 to d10, so forth).

Special Qualities: A changeling retains all the special qualities of the base creature and also gains the following:

* Darkvision with a range of 60 feet. If the base creature already has darkvision, its range is increased by 60 feet instead.

* Low Light Vision. If the base creature already has low light vision, the range is doubled.

* +2 Natural Armor bonus. This bonus stacks with any natural armor the base creature already has from its race, if any.

* A changeling gains one of the following traits at 1st level to represent there mothers type. Once selected this choice cannot be changed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Annis Hag: The changelings gains a +2 racial bonus to intimidation-based Influence checks.

Wicked Razors (Ex): The changelings claw damage die increases by one step (d4 to d6, d6 to d8, d8 to d10, so forth) and threatens a critical on a natural roll of 19 or 20. Her claws are now considered magic for bypassing damage reduction. She may now make a claw attack when delivering melee touch spells and spell-like abilities, or make additional attacks with her claws based on her base attack bonus during a full attack action as if it were a manufactured melee weapon.

Thick Hide (Ex): The changelings skin becomes thicker, harder, and more elastic, giving them an additional +1 hit point for each hit dice they possess and later gain, and an additional +1 natural armor bonus. This bonus stacks with the natural armor bonus granted from this template.

Sea Hag: The changeling gains a swim speed equal to her land speed and gains a +2 bonus to swim-based Athletic checks.

Amphibious (Ex): The changeling gains the ability to breathe air and water.

Evil Eye (Su): The changeling can cause doubt to creep into the mind of a foe within 30 feet that she can see. The target takes a –2 penalty to all of the following: AC, ability checks, attack rolls, saving throws, or skill checks. This lasts for a number of rounds equal to 3 + the changeling’s charisma modifier. A successful Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 the changelings hit dice + the changelings charisma modifier) reduces this to just 1 round. This is a mind-affecting effect. Upon reaching 8+ hit dice, the penalty increases to -4. At 15+ hit dice, the penalty increases to -6.

Mute Hag: The changeling is born with no eyes or tongue and is both mute and blind, and loses the low light vision and dark vision granted by this template. The changeling gains a +2 racial bonus to hearing-, scent-, and touch-based Perception checks.

Blind and Mute (Ex): The changeling has no eyes and tongue, leaving them blind and incapable of speech. The changeling is immune to gaze attacks, and cannot use spell completion or command word trigger magic items. This blind and mute condition cannot be cured or removed by any means.

Blindsight (Ex): The changeling gains blindsight to a range of 60 feet, allowing them to use hearing, touch, and scent to effectively see anything within that range.

Silent Spellcasting (Ex): The changeling may cast spells with a verbal component even though they are mute. However, silence spells and effects still affect her spells as normal. If the changeling later gains the Silent Spell feat, she may apply it to her spells without increasing the spells level.

Green Hag: The changeling gains the following abilities.

Charm (Su): A changeling can charm an animal or humanoid creature within 30 feet by beckoning and speaking soothing words as a standard action. This improves the attitude of an animal or humanoid creature by 1 step, as if the witch had successfully used the Diplomacy skill. The effect lasts for a number of rounds equal to the changelings charisma modifier. A Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 changeling hit dice + changelings charisma modifier) negates this effect. Whether or not the save is successful, a creature cannot be the target of this ability again for 1 day.

Mimicry (Ex): The changeling can imitate the sounds or voice of anything or anyone it has ever heard.

Disguise (Ex): The changeling can change her appearance at will as if using the disguise self spell as a extraordinary ability with no limit of duration. This has no effect on the changelings equipment, only her body. This is a physical change and cannot be dispelled or suppressed unless the changeling is knocked unconscious or killed. True Seeing does not show the changelings true form, but shows her skin as a bright green in any form she takes (even if her true form does not have green skin).

Night Hag: The changeling gains immunity to sleep spells and effects and a +2 bonus to saving throws against mind affecting spells and effects.

Slumber (Su): The changeling can cause a creature within 30 feet to fall into a deep, magical sleep, as per the spell sleep. The creature receives a Will save to negate the effect (DC 10 + 1/2 changelings hit dice + charisma modifier). If the save fails, the creature falls asleep for a number of rounds equal to the changelings hit dice. This can affect a creature of any HD. The creature will not wake due to noise or light, but others can rouse it with a standard action. This hex ends immediately if the creature takes damage. Whether or not the save is successful, a creature cannot be the target of this ability again for 1 day.

Qallupilluk Hag: The changeling gains cold resistance 5 + 1/2 the changelings hit dice (to a max of 15 at 20th level) and a +2 bonus to saving throws against cold spells or effects. The changeling also gains a +1 DC to spells and spell-like abilities they cast with the cold descriptor.

Ice Glide (Su): The changeling can pass through nonmagical ice and snow as easily as a fish swims through water and gains a burrowing speed equal to its land speed, but only for ice and snow. Its burrowing leaves behind no tunnel or hole, nor does it create any ripple or other sign of its presence. A control water spell cast on an area containing a burrowing changeling flings it 30 feet away, stunning the creature for 1 round unless it succeeds on a DC 15 Fortitude save.

Icewalking (Ex): This ability works like the spider climb spell, but the surfaces the changeling climbs must be icy. The changeling can move across icy surfaces without penalty and does not need to make Acrobatics checks to run or charge on ice.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Witch Soul: The changeling may choose to use her Charisma modifier in place of her Intelligence modifier when determining Witch spellcasting and Hexes, and gains a +2 bonus on saving throws against a Witch's Hex.

Base Saves: Same as the base creature.

Abilities: Same as the base creature.

Skills: Same as the base creature.

Feats: Same as the base creature.

Climate/Terrain: Same as the base creature.

Organization: Same as the base creature.

Challenge Rating: As base creature +1.

Treasure: Same as the base creature.

Alignment: Any.

Advancement: Same as the base creature.

Also a thank you/shout out to vilpich who gave me the idea for more heritage options and the +2 saves vs. hex's, and buffing the sea-hag benefits a bit to make them not seem so ignorable. I know I did not reply to that thread at the time (mostly because I forgot I posted it! hur dur my bad, had a nasty cold back then).

Oh, and if anyone is wondering, as a house rule for me and many of my friends, we rolled up bluff/diplomacy/intimidate as a single skill (Influence [Cha]) and gave it the seduction, taunt, haggle, etc as uses, if you are wondering why I listed some benefits as "Intimidation-based Influence checks", etc. Anything that would give a bonus to diplomacy, etc, still only works for THAT option of influence (like negotiator feat), only things like skill focus, cha, and ranks can affect influence in all its sub-uses. We did the same thing for swim/climb/ride (athletics [str]) and appraise/profession (knowledge: trade), etc.