PDA

View Full Version : Additional Diplomatic Complexity

Dr paradox
2012-10-13, 03:10 AM
Here's a possible layer of complexity I'd like to add in to my Diplomacy checks: Basically, any given NPC has a disposition towards four styles of interaction;

Assertive
Deferring
Formal
Flippant

Generally, most RP for diplomacy tends to fall into these categories, so that a DM can modify the DC based on what the character is saying.

Essentially, an NPC will have their baseline Diplomacy DC for convincing, but falling onto one of these categories can give a +5, a +2, a -2, or a -5 on the DC to convince them of something. Hopefully this will encourage players to analyze motives and characters of NPCs, instead of just Diplomancing them. largely my concern is the math - does it check out for the system? any other concerns that people have?

TuggyNE
2012-10-13, 05:49 AM
If you're using one of the various fixes for Diplomacy out there, this should be ... interesting, although not particularly essential. If not, this won't be an effective patch for diplomancy abuse, although it might make things a bit more interesting. It shouldn't change things too much on the whole either way — well, unless it's fairly easy to figure out which style of interaction you should use, in which case it will make the problem worse.

Dr paradox
2012-10-13, 03:33 PM
I'm not looking for a "Fix" for Diplomacy - my group doesn't tend to use those rules as written, we just kinda wing it. this is largely to add a little more depth and roleplaying into conversation, giving rewards for paying attention to NPCs.

TuggyNE
2012-10-13, 07:32 PM
I'm not looking for a "Fix" for Diplomacy - my group doesn't tend to use those rules as written, we just kinda wing it. this is largely to add a little more depth and roleplaying into conversation, giving rewards for paying attention to NPCs.

Then why are you worrying about the math for this? Diplomacy math is already all kinds of messed up; if you (think you) can deal with that, then you should probably be able to deal with this, assuming (as mentioned) that it's non-trivial to figure out the perfect approach to take for a given NPC. Don't strain out gnats and swallow camels, OK?

jackattack
2012-10-13, 08:11 PM
Refer to the diplomacy/negotiation mini-game in the Elder Scrolls videogames.