PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Pollaxes

Archpaladin Zousha
2012-10-13, 09:07 AM
I'm interested in having one of my characters use a pollaxe as their weapon of choice, but I have no clue how that would work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollaxe

The problem is that pollaxes are often mistaken for halberds, and initially that was what I planned to go with, but an actual pollaxe was more modular, as halberds are primarily meant for chopping attacks, whereas a pollaxe could make chopping attacks with one end of the head, blunt attacks with the opposite, and thrusting attacks with the spike at the top.

http://www.armor.com/images/pole010a.jpg
How would I go about making such a weapon? They probably aren't reach weapons, as they were most commonly 4 to 6 feet long, which I think is what Ultimate Equipment says a halberd or spear is (not longspear, which is 8 feet, I think). What kind of damage would it do? Probably a great deal, since the weapon was designed as a response to plate armor.

Any weapon experts out there who can help me with the numbers?

Jeraa
2012-10-13, 09:14 AM
Use the stats for a halberd. Change the damage type from "Piercing or Slashing" to "Piercing or Slashing or Bludgeoning."

Novawurmson
2012-10-13, 11:00 AM
I feel like there was also a feat in 3.5 that allowed this...I would go with Jeraa's suggestion, though, in anything but a very low optimization campaign. Make him pay 5g extra.

It's also fairly similar to a Bec de corbin, for another comparison point.

Kulture
2012-10-13, 02:15 PM
It's all 3 damage types on a non-reach weapon.
It's mechanically identical to the Executioner's mace from the Age of Worms campaign.

2 handed, all 3 damage types, 2d6 damage, x3 critical and 75gp cost.

Archpaladin Zousha
2012-10-13, 03:17 PM
I feel like there was also a feat in 3.5 that allowed this...I would go with Jeraa's suggestion, though, in anything but a very low optimization campaign. Make him pay 5g extra.

It's also fairly similar to a Bec de corbin, for another comparison point.
There was such a feat, but that involved spinning the halberd and attacking with the butt of the weapon, rather than attacking with the opposite side of the head.

nedz
2012-10-13, 04:45 PM
As it happens I was just looking at this
Spinning Halberd (CWar p114)
Pre-reqs Combat Reflexes, Two-Weapon Fighting, Weapon Focus (halberd)

+1 Dodge bonus to AC & an additional attack with the staff end at a –5 penalty which is a 1d6 + ½ Strength modifier Bludgeoning damage.
On a full attack only

Archpaladin Zousha
2012-10-13, 06:57 PM
Yeah that wasn't what I was looking for. Something more like this Executioner Mace that was mentioned. Where would I find the official stats for it so I can show potential GM's?

BrickSteelhead
2012-10-14, 08:32 PM
Use the stats for a halberd. Change the damage type from "Piercing or Slashing" to "Piercing or Slashing or Bludgeoning."

This. The rules for polearms are a ufcking mess (from a medieval military history perspective) in 3.5/Pathfinder anyhow.

Novawurmson
2012-10-15, 01:12 AM
Oh "One of your characters"; I thought you said "One of your players," implying that you were the DM. Huh. That makes things more difficult.

Spiryt
2012-10-15, 11:24 AM
This. The rules for polearms are a ufcking mess (from a medieval military history perspective) in 3.5/Pathfinder anyhow.

They aren't really mess, they are just very simple and one should forget about any more serious simulation ism, because it's just not doable.

Balance is more serious problem, as for example this :

2 handed, all 3 damage types, 2d6 damage, x3 critical and 75gp cost.

Is just simply better than Greataxe or Greatsword, even if by tiniest margin... But weapon rules are full of such problems.

As far as polleaxe goes, halberd stats should be alright indeed.

Or lucerne hammer from Pathfinder srd stats.