PDA

View Full Version : help with a build idea

Azoth
2012-10-13, 03:46 PM
For an upcoming gestalt game I had an idea for a character more for fun than anything else, but I still want it to be effective. I was thinking something along the lines of spellthief6/arcane archer2/spellthief+12//elf generalist wiz8/abj champ 5/EK7. Taking mainly bow feats and maybe shape spell metamagic to alter the AoE spells areas when my shots hit. Using some of my spells to allow hiding for sneak attacks. I figure my general plan is to start off the fight with a full attack to steal as many spells as possible, then turn around and launch them and some BFCs into the enemy ranks after getting some distance.

Any ideas on how to make this work effectively?

Mishkov
2012-10-14, 04:03 PM
First off, starting a fight with a full round action sneak attack can be tricky...

I'd also recommend taking spellthief all the way to 20. The 20th lvl can be hilariously useful (or completely useless, as is the nature of spellthieves...), especially at epic levels. It also lets you start going prestige earlier on your other side.

Anyway, I have a few ideas.

1) Have you considered a duskblade/arcane archer on your other side for kind of mid powered game? 2nd page of the duskblade handbook has a post by carnivore that could be what you're looking for. You can use spellthief to be able to steal more spells http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=525.20

2) I'd consider unseen seer if you're going a higher powered game. Try Wizard 5 (generalist or diviner)/Unseen Seer 10/Fatespinner 4/Divine Oracle 1(?). The fatespinner/DO can be moved around. But you'd gain an additional 5d6 SA and full casting. You can SA with ray spells (split ray, hit two people) or maybe a reserve feat. Also you're a flipping wizard, that's all you need.

3) One thing that I've always thought would be funny is making a spellthief and then just sort of picking classes with obnoxious saves/rerolls/etc. For instance, pick up things with evasion like rogue levels or divine grace or mettle (Hexblade), and then grab something like assassin for hide in plain sight (and more SA always helps) plus slippery mind and then picking up fatespinner/magical trickster/uncanny trickster and a bunch of luck feats and just reroll everything and dodge all the spells. Edit: See this thread ( http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258374 )