PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Concept for Bounty Hunter/Advocate Organization

Adamantrue
2012-10-13, 06:14 PM
This is a weird idea that I want to explore, so I need to know what kinds of rules are already available to build on (and what sort of things need to be Homebrewed).

It occurred to me that I'd like to create a society where there is a select group of people, that we'll call "Advocate Hunters" for now (a horrible, horrible name I'm sure to change). The basic premise is that they police the state, performing investigations as needed, even tracking suspects to bring them to justice.

The twist is that they also defend the accused in whatever justice system comes out of this, as they are the most familiar with the details of the case. For those that are indeed innocent, or guilty of more minor crimes, it'd often be very benign affair, as it would be in their best interests to not cause harm to the one defending them. Even those that are guilty of worse would still likely avoid causing too much harm to their last line of defense, in the event that they eventually do get caught.

Perhaps in the most extreme of cases, if they believe the accused is truly innocent of the crime, but the judgement is poor, the advocate could choose to accept punishment on behalf of the accused. They would truly be committed to justice, accepting even execution if the law itself fails in this endeavor.

I'd assume they would need strong martial skill, both in melee and in ranged combat, but would by necessity focus on nonlethal methods (including subdual damage and immobilizing opponents). They would have to have the ability to Track (probably including Urban Tracking), and skill support for the task. They'd need to know legal procedures, including those of neighboring nations if they follow targets into other lands, and investigative skills such as Search & Spot.

I'm actually wondering if there should be a Church & Religious order involved, whose authority is recognized in many (but not all) kingdoms in these matters. They would have to be independent of and unconcerned with state matters (including warfare).

The crunch of the "Advocate Hunter" would likely have to revolve around a Prestige Class, unless a simple combination of Classes & PrCs would be able to do the job (like to keep it streamlined). But how to handle it specifically...well, I could use ideas.

I'd like advice for the bottom end of this problem, from the Players' perspective. What tools would be needed to walk this path, and remain viable as a party member? And a reminder, I am completely open to the idea of Homebrewing to fill gaps.

Medic!
2012-10-13, 06:20 PM
Sounds like a Justicar with ranks in Profession: Lawyer

(They use non-lethal damage, and can use manacles as weapons and hog-tie people)

Adamantrue
2012-10-13, 07:06 PM
Sorta...

I don't have a lot of experience with Justicars, but they seem to be melee centric (I'd like more ranged options), and even then somewhat limited (beyond what I'm already talking about). Grapple isn't always reliable, getting your opponent flat-footed or flanked can be tricky. Could you give me an example build that'll fit most criteria?

Diovid
2012-10-14, 12:46 AM
Bloodhound (Complete Adventurer), Crimson Scourge (Cityscape) and Justicar (as mentioned) all have abilities that might interest you.

As for specific builds for the Justicar, look no further: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255215&page=5

Adamantrue
2012-10-14, 07:34 AM
The Crimson Scourge seems to have more abilities that are in-line with my needs, and may make a good general frame, but minor aspects conflict enough with the idea that makes it something I can't just use off-the-shelf.

Bloodhound seems melee-centric, like the Justicar, and I don't like the idea of being limited to Marked opponents (whether or not it could be made effective), but I can see a few abilities that would be incredibly useful.

Those were some interest references. Thanks. What about Feats, Equipment, and Spells?

Diovid
2012-10-14, 08:26 AM
When using the Crimson Scourge, the Urban Ranger might be a nice way to enter it (probably this one (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a), but this one (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#rangerVariantUrbanRang er) could fine as well). Also consider using the Champion of the Wild Ranger variant (from Complete Champion) to give the Ranger more feats and take away spellcasting.

Of course, if you want spellcasting then a different story. The Unearthed Arcana version of the Urban Ranger gives the Ranger some appropriate spells. The Half-Elf Ranger substitution levels (Races of Destiny) also do this I think.

Other than that though, the Avenger (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070401a), the Vigilante (Complete Adventurer) and the Ebonmar Infiltrator (Cityscape) are all prcs that could function as half-spellcasting crime fighters I guess.