PDA

View Full Version : Scaling Artifacts - PEACH, Thoughts, Suggestions?

Gemini Lupus
2012-10-13, 09:07 PM
So I'm a big fan of giving my players artifacts early in the game and giving them powers that scale with the player's level. I'll post a few examples and ask y'all to PEACH them, but I'm primarily curious about y'all's opinion about them? Do you like the idea of scaling artifacts that the character's own for the entire game? Would you use them in your games?

I'm also interested in suggestions and additions to this list that y'all might be able to provide.

So as I promised, here are a few examples that I've come up with:
(Spoilered for length)

Crystals of Turon

These mysterious Crystals were created from powerful magic first discovered by the Wizard, Turon, after the Great Cataclysm to enhance the weapons of his soldiers so that they would not have to rely on magical weapons. These Crystals were discovered to have the ability to enhance the natural abilities of the bearer and the power of the weapon they bear, but at a great cost to the bearer. Without proper protection, the bearer of a Crystal of Turon must make a DC 15 fortitude and will save every week to keep the power from overloading their bodies. This DC increases by 2 every month that the Crystal is not stabilized. If the fortitude save is failed, the bearer takes 1d4 damage to their constitution. If the will save is failed, the bearer takes 1d4 damage to their wisdom. This damage is healed only by Greater Restoration. If both saves are failed at the same time, the damage can only be cured by a Wish or Miracle. A Crystal of Turon can only be stabilized by an item known as a Key Stone, which redirects the energy from the Crystal so that it does not overload the bearer’s body and makes them safe to be used indefinitely.
Crystals of Turon have the following abilities:

- Crystals of Turon enhance a character’s physical abilities; bearers add their luck modifier to all physical skill checks, Athletics, Climb, etc.
- Crystals of Turon also extend the bearer’s lifespan by doubling the amount of time spent in each age category.
- Bearers of a Crystal of Turon gain one additional standard action per day per five hit die.
- Crystals of Turon are able to imbue weapons in the possession of the bearer of the Crystal with powers equivalent to weapon enchantments for normal magic weapons. These powers do not transfer from bearer to bearer and are locked into the Key Stone. If both the Crystal and the Key Stone are transferred, then the powers are likewise transferred. Crystals of Turon imbue the bearer’s weapon based on the bearer’s power.
- 3 HD: First power is acquired as a +1 equivalent or the bearer may wait until a higher level power is available.
- 7 HD: Second power is acquired as a +1 equivalent or first power as a +2 equivalent.
- 11 HD: Third power is acquired as a +1 equivalent or some combination of the above options.
- 15 HD: Fourth power is acquired in some combination of the above options.
- 18 HD: Fifth power is acquired so that the weapon has enchantments equal to +5.
- 21 HD: Sixth power is acquired so that the weapon has enchantments equal to +6.
- Additional powers gained at every three levels.
- Should the weapon already be enchanted, several effects occur: All enchantments remain active unless they are already granted by the Crystal of Turon, in which case, the ability is either suppressed or in the case of an enchantment with a scaling ability, the next level of enchantment takes effect. For example, if both a weapon and the Crystal have the Flaming ability, then the weapon is treated as if it had the Flaming Burst property.

Sacred Trees of Llyonesse

The Sacred Trees of Llyonesse are sentient trees that have grown in the most holy grove of Llyonesse and when they reach a certain maturity, they are attuned to a precious gem to create a demi-plane in which they exist simultaneously as on the Material and Faerie Plane. This demi-plane is known as the Tree’s Sanctuary and is unable to be accessed by any except those in possession of the Gem. Each tree is sentient and has its own unique personality, though many have certain characteristics in common, as noted by the Gem that they are attuned to. The Gems act as a vessel through which they connect with their bearers and use their powers.

All Trees have the following powers in common:

- The Sanctuary: The bearer may, twice per day enter into the Sanctuary. They physically leave the Material Plane and are in the Sanctuary for one hour on the Material Plane, while being in the Sanctuary for 24 hours. Once per day, the Sanctuary may be used to gain the benefits of full rest, restoring both health and spells. The bearer may bring up to five companions into the Sanctuary, but only they may make use of the full rest.
- Protector: The Sacred Tree is protective of its bearer and will, once per day, negate a critical hit, turning iinto a normal blow. Once per day, the Tree may also activate the feather fall spell when the bearer falls from a significant height. At 10 hit dice, the Tree will, once per day, form a protective shield around its bearer, absorbing the next attack that deals over 20 percent of the bearer’s total hit points in damage.
- Combatant: When a death blow is struck, the Tree draws the lifeforce of an enemy into the Tree and thus into the bearer, healing them equal to one-third the damage dealt to slay the opponent. At 13 hit dice, the Tree will automatically confirm a threatened critical hit.
- As a conduit of great power, one may attach the Gem to which the Sacred Tree is attuned to various objects: weapons, armor, wondrous items, etc. This ability is the primary method for the bearer to make use of its power. The type of Gem that the Tree is attuned to determines the effect that attaching it to an item has. Note: there are some rare items that require immense magical energy to power and the power that flows through the Gem is capable of powering these rare artifacts. (This is mostly a story-based power that I have not fully developed yet, nor have I made any items that would require this item as a power source, but I have an idea that it would power a magitech suit or something similar.)

Each of the Sacred Trees of Llyonesse is attuned to a precious Gem, determined by its nature and innate powers.

- Diamond: The Diamond Gem signifies a tree whose nature is based in nobility and generally attunes itself to an individual who is courageous and has a noble heart. The Bearer of a Tree of a Diamond has access to the Glory and Nobility Domains as a Cleric of their character level and are able to cast each spell once per day.
- Ruby: The Ruby Gem signifies a tree whose nature is based in battle and generally attunes itself to a combat-minded individual. The Bearer of a Tree of a Ruby has access to the Strength and War Domains as a Cleric of their character level and are able to cast each spell once per day.
- Emerald: The Emerald Gem signifies a tree whose nature is based in the natural world and generally attunes itself to a more primal individual. The Bearer of a Tree of an Emerald has access to the Plant and Weather Domains as a Cleric of their character level and are able to cast each spell once per day.
- Sapphire: The Sapphire Gem signifies a tree whose nature is based in life and generally attunes itself to a caring and nurturing individual. The Bearer of a Tree of a Sapphire has access to the Healing and Protection Domains as a Cleric of their character level and are able to cast each spell once per day.
- Amethyst: The Amethyst Gem signifies a tree whose nature is based in magic and generally attunes itself to a scholarly individual. The Bearer of a Tree of an Amethyst has access to the Knowledge and Magic Domains as a Cleric of their character level and are able to cast each spell once per day.
- Topaz: The Topaz Gem signifies a tree whose nature is based in luck and skill, and generally attunes itself to an individual who is something of a scoundrel. The Bearer of a Tree of a Topaz has access to the Luck and Travel Domains as a Cleric of their character level and are able to cast each spell once per day.
- Obsidian: The Obsidian Gem signifies a tree whose nature is based in darkness and generally attunes itself to an individual whose soul has darkness within it. The Bearer of a Tree of an Obsidian has access to the Death and Destruction Domains as a Cleric of their character level and are able to cast each spell once per day.

Piece of True Magicite

Magicite is the crystallized essence of a powerful entity of magic, such as an elder member of a race with innate magical powers or a unique being of powerful magic. When in the possession of someone with power over magic, True Magicite has the power to enhance their magical energies; even a shard of Magicite has the power to enhance a spellcaster’s power, though it is reliant on the power of the spellcaster. There are very few pieces of True Magicite that are still whole, most of them are in shards, but rumor has it that if a whole Magicite were to be found, the limits of one’s magic would be endless.

Shards of True Magicite have the following abilities:

- The possessor of a Shard of True Magicite has a greater understanding of the magic they already know and are able to modify their spells in a way unique to them. They are treated as having the Derivative Spell Knowledge and Spell Thematics feats. Source: Frog Dragon here on the forums and Player's Guide to Faerun respectively.
- At 4 hit dice, the possessor of True Magicite gains a +1 inherent bonus to Spellcasting skill checks. This bonus increases to +2 at 8 hit dice and by one every four hit dice afterward. (If the spellcasting skill is not used, this instead becomes a bonus spellslot or some such bonus. I'm open to suggestions.)
- At 7 hit dice, the possessor of a Shard of True Magicite may use one of the following metamagic abilities a number of times per day equal to the casting modifier without an increase in casting time or spell level: Enlarge, Extend, or Silent. At 14 hit dice the Empower, Maximize, and Quicken metamagic feats become available.
- At 9 hit dice, the possessor of a Shard of True Magicite begins to change as they gain understanding of the magic within their bodies. They gain the Countenence of the Mage feat. At 12 hit dice, they gain the Eyes of the Mage feat, at 13 hit dice, they gain the Footsteps of the Mage feat, at 14 they gain the Hands of the Mage feat, at 15 hit dice they gain the Ears of the Mage feat, at 16 hit dice, they gain the Voice of the Mage feat, at 18th level, they gain the Presence of the Mage feat, and at 20 hit dice, they gain the Name of the Mage feat. Source: Dragon Magazine, my source Crystal Keep, which sadly, is no longer with us. :smallfrown:
- At 21 hit dice, the owner of a Shard of True Magicite becomes an Avatar of Magic, gaining the Outsider Type and Native subtype.

So as I said, Please Examine and Critique Honestly and if you have any suggestions or additions, please feel free to contribute!

Dante & Vergil
2012-10-15, 09:51 PM
I like the idea of what you got here, it reminds me of Weapons of Legacy, but without the mega lame penalties, which is great!
A couple of things though, at least in the Magicite entry, you listed 2 feats, one of which I know is not in Wizard's published material, (Derivative Spell Knowledge, by Frog Dragon on these forums afaik) and the other is or is not depending whether or not you also based it on homebrew as well. (Spell Thematics is cool and all, but I never liked the fact it was only limited to one spell per level, and I've seen others who think the same, so this is why I ask)

Debihuman
2012-10-16, 07:38 AM
Due to their power levels, I'd consider these Major Artifacts rather than Minor ones.

Debby

Gemini Lupus
2012-10-16, 11:57 AM
I like the idea of what you got here, it reminds me of Weapons of Legacy, but without the mega lame penalties, which is great!
A couple of things though, at least in the Magicite entry, you listed 2 feats, one of which I know is not in Wizard's published material, (Derivative Spell Knowledge, by Frog Dragon on these forums afaik) and the other is or is not depending whether or not you also based it on homebrew as well. (Spell Thematics is cool and all, but I never liked the fact it was only limited to one spell per level, and I've seen others who think the same, so this is why I ask)

First, Dante & Vergil, thank you! I'm glad that you like them. I've been trying to remember where I found Derivative Spell Knowledge, my group has been using it for over 2 years now as an optional feat. The way that I interpret Spell Thematics is that all spells have that them and the +4 to spellcraft DC and just one spell per spell level is cast at +1 caster level. I really like it thematically, as it allows for spells to take on a look unique to you. Also, I'm using the feat found in Player's Guide to Faerun.

@Debihuman: Really? I suppose that argument could be made. Where artifacts are concerned that's a really grey area.

I appreciate both of your comments! I really respect both of your work and opinions.