PDA

View Full Version : Is there any way to make the mistling fey template salvagable?

123456789blaaa
2012-10-13, 11:41 PM
Found on page 153/154 of the Eberron:The Forge of War splatbook, this template is really cool. It contains the only way I know of to create living spells outside of dragon mag. Unfortunately It is 6 LA :smallyuk: and so I turn to the collective wisdom of the playground.

eggs
2012-10-13, 11:59 PM
I'm not sure about a way to stick that onto a player character without hobbling it, but Mistling creatures should be eligible calling options with the Wu Jen/Shaman's Spirit Binding/Ally spell lines.

EDIT:
With Ur-Priest: If you used Miracle to cast Greater Spirit Binding and add the Ur-Priest's Steal SLA feature, you could stick Conjure Living Spell onto a player character by ECL 15.

Most of the template's other abilities should be accessible by Magic Jar-ing the Fey (ideally with a spell list expansion trick, but let's say this is also going the easy way with more Ur-Priest Miracles).

Rejakor
2012-10-14, 01:19 AM
Least mistling template: exactly the same as mistling, but the Living Spell ability only lasts for minutes/SPELL LEVEL, and you may only have one at a time.

You also don't get the SLAs.

LA +1

Lesser Mistling Template: Exactly the same as mistling, but you may only have one Living Spell at a time, and they only last for ten minutes/spell level. At level 10, you may have 2 living spells.

You get the SLAs.

LA +2

Mistling Template: You may have up to half your HD in living spells. hours/spell level duration.

LA +4

Greater Mistling Template: You can have all the damn living spells you want. spell level/hour duration.

The NA bonus goes up to +6

You also gain the half-fey template's abilities for free, they overlap, not stack.

LA +6

123456789blaaa
2012-10-14, 10:09 AM
I'm not sure about a way to stick that onto a player character without hobbling it, but Mistling creatures should be eligible calling options with the Wu Jen/Shaman's Spirit Binding/Ally spell lines.

EDIT:
With Ur-Priest: If you used Miracle to cast Greater Spirit Binding and add the Ur-Priest's Steal SLA feature, you could stick Conjure Living Spell onto a player character by ECL 15.

Most of the template's other abilities should be accessible by Magic Jar-ing the Fey (ideally with a spell list expansion trick, but let's say this is also going the easy way with more Ur-Priest Miracles).

While I would prefer to play a mistling fey, these methods are good if I can't salvage the template. Thanks :smallsmile:.

Least mistling template: exactly the same as mistling, but the Living Spell ability only lasts for minutes/SPELL LEVEL, and you may only have one at a time.

You also don't get the SLAs.

LA +1

Lesser Mistling Template: Exactly the same as mistling, but you may only have one Living Spell at a time, and they only last for ten minutes/spell level. At level 10, you may have 2 living spells.

You get the SLAs.

LA +2

Mistling Template: You may have up to half your HD in living spells. hours/spell level duration.

LA +4

Greater Mistling Template: You can have all the damn living spells you want. spell level/hour duration.

The NA bonus goes up to +6

You also gain the half-fey template's abilities for free, they overlap, not stack.

LA +6

Where the heck are the other mistling templates in :smallconfused:. I can't find them in my copy of Eberron: The Forge of War.

Khatoblepas
2012-10-14, 10:48 AM
It's utter cheese, but it's the only way to get the stuff you want permanently without the LA.

Symbotic Mistling Greenbound Nymph-Yellow Musk Creeper.

6d8 plant HD, +1 LA, 7th level Druid casting, create living spell 1/day, create plant zombie minions at will. Only downside is you have 5ft movement speed and are effectively huge sized, but I expect you have enough spells to counteract this.

If any DM let's this by I would be very, very surprised.

Rejakor
2012-10-14, 12:28 PM
I just made up those templates - if you want how to use it and avoid the LA, then the symbiotic method is kind of the only way/best way.

Other than that, you could obviously ice assassin or simulacra an existing mistling, or find another ability that works from CR or HD and not LA.

You could have a warforged unseelie fey thingo (-2 LA i'm a real boy now template) mistling, but that's still LA +4.

123456789blaaa
2012-10-14, 03:27 PM
It's utter cheese, but it's the only way to get the stuff you want permanently without the LA.

Symbotic Mistling Greenbound Nymph-Yellow Musk Creeper.

6d8 plant HD, +1 LA, 7th level Druid casting, create living spell 1/day, create plant zombie minions at will. Only downside is you have 5ft movement speed and are effectively huge sized, but I expect you have enough spells to counteract this.

If any DM let's this by I would be very, very surprised.

You know compared to what a druid/wizard/cleric can do, this actually doesn't seem so bad for a higher powered game.

What does thet playground think?

I just made up those templates - if you want how to use it and avoid the LA, then the symbiotic method is kind of the only way/best way.

Other than that, you could obviously ice assassin or simulacra an existing mistling, or find another ability that works from CR or HD and not LA.

You could have a warforged unseelie fey thingo (-2 LA i'm a real boy now template) mistling, but that's still LA +4.

Ah well. I may try the symbiotic template thing out.

Thanks playground:smallbiggrin:

TuggyNE
2012-10-14, 06:07 PM
You know compared to what a druid/wizard/cleric can do, this actually doesn't seem so bad for a higher powered game.

What does thet playground think?

Effectively, you have a Druid ACF that trades some wild shape and animal companion for the listed stuff. Since you still have full casting either way, it's still a pretty good druid. Just take Natural Bond later to crank up your AnC's effective level, and you're basically good to go.

hex0
2012-10-14, 06:17 PM

LA +4 is still manageable under LA buyoff. It's the sweet spot before it gets ridiculous.