PDA

View Full Version : How exactly should these magic things work?

Dr.Epic
2012-10-14, 12:23 AM
What magic thing? This magic ring!
(Tee-hee! That rhymed!)

So I gots an idea for a magic item. Nothing too fancy. Just a magic ring that grants +2 to one ability. The ability varies. Let me explain. I designed this item to be the quest reward for like a party of characters around level 2-3 (+2 isn't that big a bonus, just something to help at low levels). Basically, some wizard or mage would give them each one ring. I'd figure it make more sense than he just happens to coincidentally have gauntlets of ogre strength for the fighter and whatever wondrous item boosts int for the wizard* and whatever wondrous item boosts cha for the bard*, etc. Basically, the item grants the ability score most useful to the character's class: barbarian str, wizard int, bard cha, cleric wis, etc. I have a few different mechanics in mind. Tell me what you think is best:

-You choose and it becomes permanent: the player gets to choose the ability score and that score stays that for that ring. Whenever the player puts on that specific ring, it boosts the ability score they chose the first time they put it on. They can wear different rings and choose a different ability score for that ring, and someone can wear this ring and have it be for a different ability score, but this ring will always be that ability for you.

-You choose and can change this: Basically, you can choose what ability score the ring boosts at what time. I think this may be a little broken: they can constantly change the ring for the situation it work best in. Like, the fighter could change it to cha or wis if they know they won't be fighting anyone and will be interacting socially with people. Or the wizard could change it to str if they know they'll be using a skill that requires that. Basically a +2 stat boost to whatever ability you need at that moment. I'd figure I could fix this by saying you have to declare a certain amount of time ahead of time to change it. Like you have to mentally make this choice an hour or even a day before the ring changes stats. Just, how long in advance would they have to have to make this choice?

-The ring choose for you: it senses what ability score is your highest and boosts that. And if it's a tie, you choose. This boost applies to your currently highest score. If you take ability score damage and this gets reduced too much or if you get a (temporary) stat boost to some other stat and that becomes your highest, the ring changes. It's whatever your highest ability is without the ring at that moment.

So, tell me what you think is the best option, or if you have your own, please post that and I'll consider it.

*I forget the wondrous items that boost what ability score and don't have my DMG in front of me. If someone remembers, and wants to post it thanks. This has been bugging me.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2012-10-14, 01:38 AM
I like it. I think it's a great idea to make the boost semi-permanent (if it's changeable, it should require ~24 hours to change).

I would make it so that such an item is user-friendly, and has engraved on it "what do you wish to be?" or something similar. Just reading the question will unearth whatever subconscious desire is strongest in the wearer ("I want to be less scrawny", "I want to be more likeable") and causes it to take effect right away and the wearer can immediately feel the change (Strength boost makes you immediately feel your muscles become bulkier, Intelligence boost makes you suddenly feel like your mind is clearer, etc). The item can change which ability score it boosts, but this only happens if the wearer has a deep, permanent change of priorities.

In game terms, the PC immediately gets to choose when he examines the ring, and can only change it at the start of a session.

5e D&D has rules for magic item attunement. You have to spend 10 minutes attuning to some magic items for the full benefit. However, attunement usually only applies to very strong magic items. It also seems to be too short of a period for the kind of item you want to make.

MoleMage
2012-10-14, 02:10 AM
If you want it changeable, just say they can change it after getting 8 hours of rest, which is consistent with the way "days" are typically measured. However, I'm mostly a fan of option 3, because that means that not only are these items thematically distinct from Gauntlets of Ogre Strength and the other +2 stat items, it means that this is an entirely different mechanical effect as well. In other words, if you go with option 1, you're just letting them pick whether to have Gauntlets, Circlet of Intelligence, Cloak of Charisma, etc. Option 3 avoids that while having a unique feel to it. Just keep in mind the rules about stacking bonuses.

Yitzi
2012-10-14, 07:28 AM
-You choose and it becomes permanent: the player gets to choose the ability score and that score stays that for that ring. Whenever the player puts on that specific ring, it boosts the ability score they chose the first time they put it on. They can wear different rings and choose a different ability score for that ring, and someone can wear this ring and have it be for a different ability score, but this ring will always be that ability for you.

This allows them to actually switch around the boost by trading rings, for a total number of options equal to the number of party members (though what one person picks will affect the options available to others).

-You choose and can change this: Basically, you can choose what ability score the ring boosts at what time. I think this may be a little broken: they can constantly change the ring for the situation it work best in. Like, the fighter could change it to cha or wis if they know they won't be fighting anyone and will be interacting socially with people. Or the wizard could change it to str if they know they'll be using a skill that requires that. Basically a +2 stat boost to whatever ability you need at that moment. I'd figure I could fix this by saying you have to declare a certain amount of time ahead of time to change it. Like you have to mentally make this choice an hour or even a day before the ring changes stats. Just, how long in advance would they have to have to make this choice?

Say at the same time the wizard prepares his spells.

-The ring choose for you: it senses what ability score is your highest and boosts that. And if it's a tie, you choose. This boost applies to your currently highest score. If you take ability score damage and this gets reduced too much or if you get a (temporary) stat boost to some other stat and that becomes your highest, the ring changes. It's whatever your highest ability is without the ring at that moment.

Interesting idea, but you might also want to exclude those that have other enhancement bonuses.

*I forget the wondrous items that boost what ability score and don't have my DMG in front of me. If someone remembers, and wants to post it thanks. This has been bugging me.

Headband of intellect.

And for future use, nearly all the mechanical information from the Core books can be found at www.d20srd.org.