PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing Fuse Arms

molten_dragon
2012-10-14, 07:18 AM
I realize that this isn't really an ideal combo, but I love the idea of Girallon's Blessing plus Fuse Arms.

I was looking through Lords of Madness this morning and saw the Arms of Plenty spell.

That got me wondering how many pairs of arms/tentacles you could slap on a character to optimize the bonus from fuse arms. Ideally, I'd like the end result to be capable of wielding a weapon.

My best thought right now is to polymorph them into a thri-kreen, then cast GB plus AoP before fusing the arms for a +12 to STR. I'm sure the playground can do better than that though.

Anyone know of any creatures that polymorph can turn you into with more than 4 arms? Or other spells that grow arms or tentacles?

DeusMortuusEst
2012-10-14, 07:28 AM
To start with, a Marilith has 6 arms.

molten_dragon
2012-10-14, 07:36 AM
To start with, a Marilith has 6 arms.

Yeah but a Marilith is a 16 hit dice outsider, so it's not a valid form for polymorph.

DeusMortuusEst
2012-10-14, 07:42 AM
Yeah but a Marilith is a 16 hit dice outsider, so it's not a valid form for polymorph.

So, shapechange?

EDIT: Here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/abomination.htm#hecatoncheires) is your base form.

molten_dragon
2012-10-14, 08:50 AM
So, shapechange?

Well, I'd actually like to try it out in a game if I get a chance, and I'm a long way off from getting shapechange. I can get polymorph next level though.

Iku Rex
2012-10-14, 09:03 AM
The Darktentacles from MM2 (9 HD) has 36 tentacles. That's +72 Str for the remaining two tentacles if I'm not mistaken. :)

(I don't think it can do Somatic components though.)

Lyndworm
2012-10-14, 09:08 AM
Polymorph, you say? Multiple arms, you say? Look no further, says I!

By which I mean, if you have access to Faerun material, polymorph into a sharn. It's a 4HD Large Aberration with nine arms (also nine claws and three bites), Alertness, Multiattack, and Multiweapon Fighting as bonus feats, 40ft fly (perfect) speed, and this awesome ability (considered a special attack, so you get it!):

Independent Action (Ex):
A sharn’s three separate consciousnesses allow it to take two standard actions and a move action, or a full-round action and an extra standard action, each round. It can thus cast two spells in a round, though the two spells must come from the lists of different classes.

Ignore the above, as it is complete nonsense.

Why do you want so many arms, anyway? If you're wielding a weapon, Savage Speciesp42 has alternate "handedness" rules for creatures with more than two hands. If you use those rules, it would probably be more efficient to keep exactly four hands (if you use a one-handed weapon) or exactly eight hands (if you use a two-handed weapon).

TheGeckoKing
2012-10-14, 09:12 AM
@Lyndworm
Except the Sharn's Archetypal Shape quality pretty much says no to your idea. :smallamused:

Lyndworm
2012-10-14, 09:18 AM
Well, damn. That's what I get for going off of memory, I guess. :smallredface:

Dusk Eclipse
2012-10-14, 09:45 AM
Non psionic three krin totemist 4/Ur-priest 2/ Saphire Hierarch. You start with 4 arms, plus 2 from binding Girallon arms , plus another 2 from girallons blessing you are now at 8 arms which should be more than enough..

molten_dragon
2012-10-14, 10:49 AM
Why do you want so many arms, anyway? If you're wielding a weapon, Savage Speciesp42 has alternate "handedness" rules for creatures with more than two hands. If you use those rules, it would probably be more efficient to keep exactly four hands (if you use a one-handed weapon) or exactly eight hands (if you use a two-handed weapon).

Just for fun. I like the concept of the party fighter walking around with a colossal-sized pair of arms on a medium-sized dwarf body. And because he won't complain if I can give him a big bonus to strength.