PDA

View Full Version : Followers and Classes (this has probably been asked before)

dascarletm
2012-10-14, 01:44 PM
Since the search function is down I was wondering: Are followers restricted to NPC classes?

Is it just a house rule I hear?

What pages can I find official ruling?

What is the forums general consensus?

If they can be PC classes can they take Prestige Classes?

Also, can Cohorts be Prestige Classes?

Thank you.

Invader
2012-10-14, 04:34 PM
Since the search function is down I was wondering: Are followers restricted to NPC classes?

Is it just a house rule I hear?

What pages can I find official ruling?

What is the forums general consensus?

If they can be PC classes can they take Prestige Classes?

Also, can Cohorts be Prestige Classes?

Thank you.

There's no rule that says an NPC has to be one of the 5 NPC classes listed in the DMG. Those are just there to give some flavor to the more mundane professions in the fantasy setting.

NPC's can take any class/prestige class you want to give to them.

Alabenson
2012-10-14, 06:10 PM
I recall there being a rule in the 3.0 DMG that followers had to be either commoners, experts, or warriors, but it seems WOTC omitted that rule during the change to 3.5.

As for cohorts, I've never heard of any rules restricting what they can be.

dascarletm
2012-10-14, 06:11 PM
There's no rule that says an NPC has to be one of the 5 NPC classes listed in the DMG. Those are just there to give some flavor to the more mundane professions in the fantasy setting.

NPC's can take any class/prestige class you want to give to them.

I know NPCs can be any class, but I thought that followers, as gained by leadership, were limited to NPC classes. Perhaps I am mistaken.
EDIT:
ah I see, 3.0. That's where I saw it.

thanks

Invader
2012-10-14, 07:49 PM
I know NPCs can be any class, but I thought that followers, as gained by leadership, were limited to NPC classes. Perhaps I am mistaken.
EDIT:
ah I see, 3.0. That's where I saw it.

thanks

Ahh yeah I kind of read that the wrong way but the end result should be the same. I've never heard of a rule that limits followers or cohorts to NPC classes. :smallbiggrin: