PDA

View Full Version : Worldbuilding with Tropes: Faustian Bargan, Gone Horribly Right.

Fallen Angel
2012-10-14, 03:39 PM
The idea is a group of liberals decided they needed to move to a new frontier - while a company decided a pet corporate world was the prefect way to achieve some goal. Both somehow were put in contact, with both somehow agreeing to work together despite the obvious culture clash (if not outright shock). The CEO of the corporation, a privately held corporation, decided to take the bargain despite going in with his eyes open. The decided anything was better than the hell they were living in, and decided to take the deal knowing the libertarian laws they would have to put into place. The former believed that money could buy power in the new colony, and the latter thought they could eventually twist the laws of the new world towards their ends.
Both groups got what they wanted,. to their horror. The world works perfectly - with absolute freedoms. Too many freedoms for the tastes of the colonists and those who live on the world, but the freedoms are part of the laws that allow for what each group on this world wants. In essence the two groups are too fractured; with the 'old' guard in each not strong enough to pull the nation's policies to a specific direction. The groups also are protectionist towards their 'pet' laws and are driven not to give in politically. Add to this a ever growing population that desires the freedoms and libertarian laws they live under, if only partially.

Can somebody tell me if this sounds even intresting?

Iceforge
2012-10-14, 06:19 PM
I think it is interesting, but also something I'd stay right clear off as it is now, if a gamemaster presented that snip to me as the idea, and here is why:

You throw out a bunch of words that can have highly loaded values depending on the person who is using them, and without you defining what they excatly mean when you are using them, I have no way to know if this is going to be a horrible piece of ignorant political commentary in the guise of a game or an actual interesting idea played out just for the ideas sake.

So please consider explaining/defining these words/concepts:
Liberals
Libertarian
Libertarian Laws
Absolute freedom

Highlighted to two key ones that I find really important to get defined

EDIT:

Thinking a bit more about it, I think that generally, you might have an easier time with this, if you avoided using those words and instead used a short paragraph to briefly explain the mindset/culture/system that you want to convey when you are using those words currently.

To some people, the label "liberal" is good, to others its bad, and you don't want to deal with that baggage in a game or even here on this forum (and going into such a debate might actually be against the forum rules)

Fallen Angel
2012-10-14, 09:18 PM
I think it is interesting, but also something I'd stay right clear off as it is now, if a gamemaster presented that snip to me as the idea, and here is why:

You throw out a bunch of words that can have highly loaded values depending on the person who is using them, and without you defining what they excatly mean when you are using them, I have no way to know if this is going to be a horrible piece of ignorant political commentary in the guise of a game or an actual interesting idea played out just for the ideas sake.

So please consider explaining/defining these words/concepts:
Liberals

A reference to the american left. In other words, those who wish for gender, racial and orientation based equality.

The idea is the liberal laws are so liberal that humans can marry whomever they choose'. (Yes, including animals. That said, I had a blurb about a strange group that is made up of women who marry canines; the blurb proving that there are people willing to take advantage of these laws. A ever growing group - to the horror of both 'tradtional' groups on this planet. Other groups exist - there is also a Samothracian (classical) style cult of the snake, that uses non-posionous snakes in erotic 'rituals'.)

Libertarian

Pro-corporate ideals.

Libertarian Laws

Laws that favor the above.

Absolute freedom

The utmost in personal liberties.

Highlighted to two key ones that I find really important to get defined

EDIT:

Thinking a bit more about it, I think that generally, you might have an easier time with this, if you avoided using those words and instead used a short paragraph to briefly explain the mindset/culture/system that you want to convey when you are using those words currently.

To some people, the label "liberal" is good, to others its bad, and you don't want to deal with that baggage in a game or even here on this forum (and going into such a debate might actually be against the forum rules)

NothingButCake
2012-10-14, 11:38 PM
The idea that social libertarianism and economic libertarianism are contradicting political forces are not necessarily intuitive. It's often true in the United States because the American left can be considered to be about egalitarianism in terms of civil liberties and economic outcomes and the right has combined social conservatism with corporatism (and both are pretty Keynesian and neoliberal), but as Iceforge said, I think you're better off describing them instead of using U.S. political shorthand or at least using terms that describe more specific philosophies or worldviews.

ETA: I suggest looking at Kowloon Walled City and/or the libertarian havens that are being created lately, where wealthy men are essentially buying the right to create sovereign libertarian cities from governments. The last one I heard of was in South America, I believe. In terms of fiction, I think Rapture did the totally libertarian city tearing itself apart well.

Yora
2012-10-15, 03:16 AM
Sounds like pure anarchy where rich people do whatever the hell they want, right?

Fallen Angel
2012-10-15, 09:36 AM
The idea that social libertarianism and economic libertarianism are contradicting political forces are not necessarily intuitive. It's often true in the United States because the American left can be considered to be about egalitarianism in terms of civil liberties and economic outcomes and the right has combined social conservatism with corporatism (and both are pretty Keynesian and neoliberal), but as Iceforge said, I think you're better off describing them instead of using U.S. political shorthand or at least using terms that describe more specific philosophies or worldviews.

Well, I was looking at the tropes and thinking about american politics. I was thinking about exactingly opposed forced that might agree just so they can go off and colonize a world. And then there is the part about 'going horribly right' to work into the basic idea: I have no idea what other forces could do this.