PDA

View Full Version : The Kamikaze (Revamped) 3.5 class

AkazilliaDeNaro
2012-10-14, 06:33 PM
A while ago i had tried to make a class that revolved around exploding (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87978), i failed miserably. But considering it was my first attempt ever at making a class i think i did the best i could have. So here i am with a second attempt, enjoy!

The Kamikaze

http://www.heroesrevealed.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/flame.jpg
In The Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

The Kamikaze
Alignment any chaotic
HD d12

Skill points (4+int)x4
The Kamikaze's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are
Craft (int) Concentrate(con) Disable Device(int) intimidate(Cha) Knowledge (Archetecture and Engineering, Arcana)(int) Listen(wis) Spot(wis) Jump(str) Survival(con)

Class Table
Kamikaze

Level
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Special
Explosion Damage
Explosion Area

1st

+0

+2

+0

+0
Detonation

1d6

2nd

+1

+3

+0

+0
Explosive Punch

1d6

3rd

+1

+3

+1

+1
Missile Launch

1d6

4th

+2

+4

+1

+1
Explosive Jump

1d8

5th

+2

+4

+1

+1
Explosive Sprint

1d8

6th

+3

+5

+2

+2
Explosive Mine

1d8

7th

+3

+5

+2

+2
Harmless Detonation

1d8

8th

+4

+6

+2

+2
Elemental Detonation

1d10

9th

+4

+6

+3

+3
Twofold Explosion

1d10

10th

+5

+7

+3

+3
Nonlethal Detonation

1d10

11th

+5

+7

+3

+3
Grenade

1d10

12th

+6/+1

+8

+4

+4
Controlled Detonation

2d6

13th

+6/+1

+8

+4

+4
Explosive knockback

2d6

14th

+7/+2

+9

+4

+4
Threefold Explosion

2d6

15th

+7/+2

+9

+5

+5
Explosive Regeneration

2d6

16th

+8/+3

+10

+5

+5
Bypassing Explosion

2d8

17th

+8/+3

+10

+5

+5
Painless detonation

2d8

18th

+9/+4

+11

+6

+6
Explosive Resurrection

2d8

19th

+9/+4

+11

+6

+6
Fourfold Explosion

2d8

20th

+10/+5

+12

+6

+6
Eternal Explosion

2d10

Class Abilities

Weapon Proficiency
A Kamikaze is proficient with simple weapons, and light armor.

Detonate – as standard action, deal damage equal to your explosive damage + con + your kamikaze level, in a radius equal to 5 x your kamikaze level you take nonlethal damage equal your explosive damage - con - 1/2 your kamikaze level.

Explosive Punch– as a standard action, make a touch attack at BAB + con + 1/2 your kamikaze level against an opponent in range and deal damage equal to your explosive damage + con + str + your kamikaze level.

Missile Launch – as a standard action, make a ranged touch attack at BAB +con +1/2 your kamikaze level at anything within an area equal 5x your kamikaze level with an object, and deal damage equal to your explosive damage + con + 1/2 your kamikaze level

Explosive Jump – as a movement action, move vertically a distance less than or equal to your explosive area. During this vertical movement you may move horizontally at a distance equal to your land speed.

Explosive Sprint – as movement action, move horizontally a distance less than or equal to your explosive area.

Explosive Mine – take a full round action and nonlethal damage equal to your explosive damage - con - 1/2 your kamikaze level to charge a 5’ square to detonate (as if you were to activate your detonate ability in that square) in x rounds where x is less than or equal to your kamikaze level or when a being would step on the square. (you choose which)

Harmless Detonation – you take half damage from your detonation abilities.

Elemental Detonation – when you activate a kamikaze ability you may apply an element to your explosion(i.e. Acid, fire, cold, Electric, or sonic,)

Twofold explosion – as standard action, you may use two kamikaze abilities simultaneously.

Non-lethal Detonation – when you activate a kamikaze ability you may choose to have it deal non lethal damage instead, if you do this you take no damage from it.

Grenade - as a standard action, you may choose a target within your explosive area and make a ranged touch attack at BAB + con + 1/2 your level, if successful deal damage equal to your explosive damage + con + your kamikaze level in a radius equal to 1/2 your explosive area.

Controlled Detonation – when you activate a kamikaze ability you may choose who gets hit, and who does not. People you don't want to be hit gain a 50% miss chance against your abilities.

Explosive knock-back - as a standard action send out a pulse that pushes all beings, within an area equal to your explosive area, away from you a distance equal to 1/4 your explosive area.

Threefold Explosion - as a standard action, you may use three kamikaze abilities simultaneously.

Explosive Regeneration – as a standard action, heal yourself for your explosive damage + con + your kamikaze level.

Bypassing explosion -as a standard action, when you activate a kamikaze ability you may take extra damage to bypass damage reduction, for each point of extra damage you take you bypass 1 point of 1 type of damage reduction or 1 point of energy resistance, (i.e you take 20 extra damage and bypass dr 5/blunt and dr 5/piercing and fire resist 10) this applies to all enemies you would hit.

Painless Detonation – you take no damage from your detonation abilities. excluding the extra damage from bypassing explosion.

Explosive Resurrection – When a kamikaze dies or falls unconscious, he may activate any one of his abilities as if it were a spell in contingency effect.

Fourfold Explosion - as a standard action, you may use four kamikaze abilities simultaneously.

Eternal Explosion – you no longer age, you gain an aura equal to your explosive area, and at any time, as a standard action, you may cause any being inside that aura to take damage equal to your explosive damage.

sengmeng
2012-10-14, 09:45 PM
If you just think that kamikazes are funny and want a deliberately weak, suicidal class, then this is fine. If that is the case, then you just need to mention what type of action each of these abilities are.

If it's meant to be viable, then I'd recommend starting over again.

AkazilliaDeNaro
2012-10-14, 10:18 PM
If it's meant to be viable, then I'd recommend starting over again.

NO. I WILL NOT START OVER AGAIN.
now with that being said specifically what is bad?

also i changed the damage you take from detonating.

WyvernLord
2012-10-15, 12:40 AM
A while ago i had tried to make a class that revolved around exploding (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87978), i failed miserably. But considering it was my first attempt ever at making a class i think i did the best i could have. So here i am with a second attempt, enjoy!

The Kamikaze
Alignment any chaotic
HD d12

Skill points (4+int)x4
The Kamikaze's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentrate(con) Disable Device(int) intimidate(Cha) Listen(wis) Spot(wis) Jump(str) Survival(con)
More class skills. Knowledge (Archetecture and Engineering, Arcana),and everyone gets craft.

Kamikaze
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Explosion Damage|Explosion Area

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+0|Detonation|
1d6|

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+0|Explosive Punch|
1d6|

3rd|
+1|
+3|
+1|
+1|Missile Launch|
1d6|

4th|
+2|
+4|
+1|
+1|Explosive Jump|
1d8|

5th|
+2|
+4|
+1|
+1|Explosive Sprint|
1d8|

6th|
+3|
+5|
+2|
+2|Explosive Mine|
1d8|

7th|
+3|
+5|
+2|
+2|Harmless Detonation|
1d8|

8th|
+4|
+6|
+2|
+2|Elemental Detonation|
1d10|

9th|
+4|
+6|
+3|
+3|Twofold Explosion|
1d10|

10th|
+5|
+7|
+3|
+3|Nonlethal Detonation|
1d10|

11th|
+5|
+7|
+3|
+3|Grenade|
1d10|

12th|
+6/+1|
+8|
+4|
+4|Controlled Detonation|
2d6|

13th|
+6/+1|
+8|
+4|
+4||
2d6|

14th|
+7/+2|
+9|
+4|
+4|Threefold Explosion|
2d6|

15th|
+7/+2|
+9|
+5|
+5|Explosive Regeneration|
2d6|

16th|
+8/+3|
+10|
+5|
+5|Bypassing Explosion|
2d8|

17th|
+8/+3|
+10|
+5|
+5|Painless detonation|
2d8|

18th|
+9/+4|
+11|
+6|
+6|Explosive Resurrection|
2d8|

19th|
+9/+4|
+11|
+6|
+6|Fourfold Explosion|
2d8|

20th|
+10/+5|
+12|
+6|
+6|Eternal Explosion|
2d10|
100[/table]

Detonate – as standard action, deal damage equal to your explosive damage + con + your kamikaze level, in a radius equal to 5 x your kamikaze level you take nonlethal damage equal your explosive damage - con - your kamikaze level.
Pretty cool, deal a lot of damage in exchange for some non-lethal to your self. The minus con and level to your own damage is pretty cool.
-----------------------
Explosive Punch– as a standard action, make a touch attack at BAB + con + ½ your kamikaze level against an opponent in range and deal damage equal to your explosive damage - con - str - your kamikaze level.
This sucks if they take less damage as you level, or as you get tougher, or stronger.
-----------------------
Missile Launch – as a standard action, make a ranged touch attack at BAB +con +1/2 your kamikaze level at anything within an area equal 5x your kamikaze level with an object, and deal damage equal to your explosive damage + con + ½ your kamikaze level
Alright so this gets trumped by grenade later, when you get grenade you will literally never use this again. This is okay but if that is the case I'd use the same wording as grenade here and just say that at eleventh level the damage improves to your level from half-level. Or add some AoE to either this or grenade.
----------------------
Explosive Jump – as a movement action, move vertically a distance less than or equal to your explosive area.
Seems painful when you fall. :smalltongue: I'd add this, "During this vertical movement you may move horizontally at a distance equal to your land speed."
-----------------------
Explosive Sprint – as movement action, move horizontally a distance less than or equal to your explosive area.
Zooooom.
-----------------------
Explosive Mine – take a full round action and nonlethal damage equal to your explosive damage + con + your kamikaze level to charge a 5’ square to detonate (as if you were to activate your detonate ability in that square) in x rounds where x is less than or equal to your kamikaze level or when a being would step on the square.
Fun flavorful ability, some wording problem do you choose which option when you use this ability or do they both apply.
-----------------------
Harmless Detonation – you take half damage from your detonation abilities.
Explosive mine is the only one you care about if you meant for the -level to the detonation damage to your self.
-----------------------
Elemental Detonation – when you activate a kamikaze ability you may apply an element to your explosion(i.e. Acid, fire, cold, lighning, or sonic,)
Kra-Booom!
-----------------------
Twofold explosion – as standard action, you may use two kamikaze abilities simultaneously.
Keeps you useful.
-----------------------
Non-lethal Detonation – when you activate a kamikaze ability you may choose to have it deal non lethal damage instead, if you do this you take no damage from it.
Nice trick.
-----------------------
Grenade - as a standard action, you may choose a target within your explosive area and make a ranged touch attack at BAB + con + ½ your level, if successful deal damage equal to your explosive damage + con + your kamikaze level.
See explosive missile.
-----------------------
Controlled Detonation – when you activate a kamikaze ability you may choose who gets hit, and who does not. People you don't want to be hit gain a 50% miss chance against your abilities.
Clarification and standardization.
------------------------
Some kind of knockback ability
-------------------------
Threefold Explosion - as a standard action, you may use three kamikaze abilities simultaneously.
Still keeps you useful
-------------------------
Explosive Regeneration – as a standard action, heal yourself for your explosive damage + con + your kamikaze level.
Neat trick.
----------------------------
Bypassing explosion -as a standard action, when you activate a kamikaze ability you may take extra damage to bypass damage reduction, for each point of extra damage you take you bypass 1 point of 1 type of damage reduction, (i.e you take 10 extra damage and bypass dr 5/blunt and dr 5/piercing) this applies to all enemies you would hit.
I'd expand this to include energy resistance.
Painless Detonation – you take no damage from your detonation abilities.
Combined with above ability you get effectively infinate Dr piercing.
Explosive Resurrection – When a kamikaze dies or falls unconscious, he may activate anyone of his abilities as if it were a spell in contingency effect.
Fun.
Fourfold Explosion - as a standard action, you may use four kamikaze abilities simultaneously.
Still leaves you more useful
Eternal Explosion – you no longer age, have <---Remove wordyou gain a 20ft aura, and at any time, as a standard action, you may cause any being inside that aura to take damage equal to your explosive damage.
alright I guess, not amazing damage for having to get that close.
---------
i still need a level 13 ability and all the non combat details so help please?

Italicized bold mine.

AkazilliaDeNaro
2012-10-15, 02:08 AM
Fixed stuff.

Amechra
2012-10-15, 09:25 AM
Would you mind if I turned my hand to neatening some stuff up, and adding a few of my own ideas?

I always add Eldritch Essences from the Warlock to stuff like this, because I adore them, and they actually fit explode-y type stuff quite well, since you can then get explosions that light people on fire, annihilate people, and a ton of other fun things.

AkazilliaDeNaro
2012-10-15, 02:45 PM
Would you mind if I turned my hand to neatening some stuff up, and adding a few of my own ideas?
Sure im all for neatening things up.

I always add Eldritch Essences from the Warlock to stuff like this, because I adore them, and they actually fit explode-y type stuff quite well, since you can then get explosions that light people on fire, annihilate people, and a ton of other fun things.

No idea what that is but okay.

sengmeng
2012-10-15, 11:42 PM
If the explosive jump and sprint are supposed to be him blasting himself to distant places, I would have thought that they were meant to be used in conjunction with a detonation.

Overall, I think the damage is too weak. I'm fine with the idea of hurting yourself and your enemies at the same time, but if it's done too slowly, you'll get killed routinely; your enemies will hurt you on their turns, but not hurt themselves, then you hurt yourself and them. You get hurt all the time, they get hurt half the time. Sure, he has a d12 hit dice, but it isn't simply a matter of who has more hitpoints. He needs to put them down quickly before they even up the hitpoint discrepancy.

AkazilliaDeNaro
2012-10-16, 12:31 AM
If the explosive jump and sprint are supposed to be him blasting himself to distant places, I would have thought that they were meant to be used in conjunction with a detonation.

Overall, I think the damage is too weak. I'm fine with the idea of hurting yourself and your enemies at the same time, but if it's done too slowly, you'll get killed routinely; your enemies will hurt you on their turns, but not hurt themselves, then you hurt yourself and them. You get hurt all the time, they get hurt half the time. Sure, he has a d12 hit dice, but it isn't simply a matter of who has more hitpoints. He needs to put them down quickly before they even up the hitpoint discrepancy.

soooo i should up the damage he deals and lower the damage he takes.
like this

{table=head]Level|Explosive Damage
1-3|
1d8|
4-7|
2d6|
8-11|
2d8|
12-15|
3d6|
16-19|
3d8|
20|
4d8|[/table]
but i dont know how to decrease the damage done to himself.

Amechra
2012-10-16, 12:36 AM
Alright, AkazilliaDeNaro, I would like you to search Google for "Eldritch Essences." The Warlock base class gets a scaling 60' ranged touch attack feature called their Eldritch Blast. A single Eldritch Essence may be applied to the blast at any one time, which will add some extra effect to the blast, such as sickening an opponent, lighting them on fire, debuffing their saves, giving them negative levels, and so on and so forth.

These Eldritch Essences will sometimes also change the type of the damage, to stuff like Fire and Cold damage for the more official ones, though there have been Homebrew Essences that do stuff like Half-Piercing, Negative Energy, and even stuff like Rimefire (which does half Fire half Cold damage.)

AkazilliaDeNaro
2012-10-16, 01:09 AM
Alright, AkazilliaDeNaro, I would like you to search Google for "Eldritch Essences." The Warlock base class gets a scaling 60' ranged touch attack feature called their Eldritch Blast. A single Eldritch Essence may be applied to the blast at any one time, which will add some extra effect to the blast, such as sickening an opponent, lighting them on fire, debuffing their saves, giving them negative levels, and so on and so forth.

These Eldritch Essences will sometimes also change the type of the damage, to stuff like Fire and Cold damage for the more official ones, though there have been Homebrew Essences that do stuff like Half-Piercing, Negative Energy, and even stuff like Rimefire (which does half Fire half Cold damage.)

i have all the books thanks to friends stockpiling them at my house, so i read up on it. seems good, but it implies that he has a lot more control over his powers than is intended, but then again i'm usually too stubborn when it comes to change in my creations.

sengmeng
2012-10-16, 03:04 AM
soooo i should up the damage he deals and lower the damage he takes.
like this

{table=head]Level|Explosive Damage
1-3|
1d8|
4-7|
2d6|
8-11|
2d8|
12-15|
3d6|
16-19|
3d8|
20|
4d8|[/table]
but i dont know how to decrease the damage done to himself.

I don't think he needs less damage to himself. Just increasing the damage shortens the combat so he has a better chance to survive. That will probably be enough. Eventually he gets the nonlethal option and then it stops mattering (usually, knocking people out is just as good as killing them, unless they're undead, regenerating, or constructs).

Also, what kind of damage does detonating deal? I'm not sure you need the ability to overcome DR or energy resistance, since no one is immune to "explosive" or untyped damage.

AkazilliaDeNaro
2012-10-16, 03:50 AM
Also, what kind of damage does detonating deal? I'm not sure you need the ability to overcome DR or energy resistance, since no one is immune to "explosive" or untyped damage.

detonating is untyped as far as i can figure, and i'm pretty sure dr prevents every damage but the one listed, so untyped damage would always be prevented.

man do i love quoting.

Sypher667
2012-10-16, 08:31 AM
detonating is untyped as far as i can figure, and i'm pretty sure dr prevents every damage but the one listed, so untyped damage would always be prevented.

man do i love quoting.

You are correct, but you're missing a step. DR is only bypassed by the listed sources of damage. However, untyped damage is traditionally spell damage, and would be subject to resistances, so you bypass entirely.

AkazilliaDeNaro
2012-10-16, 12:16 PM
You are correct, but you're missing a step. DR is only bypassed by the listed sources of damage. However, untyped damage is traditionally spell damage, and would be subject to resistances, so you bypass entirely.

so to make it be affected by dr im guessing we make it blunt damage?