PDA

View Full Version : Dread necromancer: riding undead.

123456789blaaa
2012-10-14, 07:19 PM
In K's Revised Necromancer Handbook (in the dread necromancer section) he says "and if you're thinking long term you might want to go for Mounted Combat as you will eventually be able to pull some tricks with undead warbeasts that are alarming." I can't really think of any though. Does anyone know what (dread necromancer specific) tricks he is talking about?

Coidzor
2012-10-14, 07:40 PM
Honestly I can't recall anything myself and had a similar bit of confusion. So I too am curious if anyone has anything on that.

GolemsVoice
2012-10-14, 07:41 PM
Lich Loved?

Sorry. So sorry.

123456789blaaa
2012-10-14, 08:07 PM
Lich Loved?

Sorry. So sorry.

T_T

Oh GolemsVoice, why do you hurt me so?

Madara
2012-10-14, 08:31 PM
Basically you do the normal charging/ mounted combat fun. Other than that, outside of combat, they don't need to sleep/eat/drink and they don't tire so you can ride them at full speed indefinently. The only other thing worth mention is that you can use undead as unusual mounts(Like riding a Dinosaur!)

Glimbur
2012-10-14, 08:31 PM
Well, there's the standard stuff of substituting a Ride check for your mount's AC 1/turn, getting a flying or fast mount so you can get places better... maybe you can get a thing with an aura you want to stay in? You might look up a mounted combat guide and see if anything there is applicable. Ride is probably not in-class so you might have to use extra magic on it.

Gnaeus
2012-10-15, 01:53 PM
Best tricks I can think of would be to:

Drop AOEs that do not harm or that actively benefit undead. The DN negative energy aura works for this. There are others.

or

Spellstiching the mount for some effect that will benefit you both.

Of course, both of these are general Dread Necro undead tricks, nothing that is unique to a mount. I guess that they may be better suited to a mount, just because you and your mount are always likely to be adjacent.