PDA

View Full Version : [3.P] Best Cheap Alchemy Items

Mcdt2
2012-10-14, 09:42 PM
So in an upcoming Pathfinder campaign (rather low op by the looks of it), I am going to be playing as a gnome alchemist. So I wanna know, what sorts of awesome alchemy items or poisons could I feasibly make as a level 1 Alchemist?

For reference, I currently have a +12 to Craft Alchemy (Ranks+1, Trained +3, Class +1, Int Mod +3 Racial Obession +2, Obsession book +2). Through use of a masterwork tool (+2), my Int Boosting cognategen (+2) and my Crafter's Fortune formula (+5), I could boost this up to +21, netting me a result of 31 on my take 10. So, what can I make that has a DC of 31 or less that will serve my little gnomish Alchemsit the best?

EDIT: I'm afraid I was a bit unclear, though I thought the use of the PF class would give this away. By "3.P" I mean we are using the Pathfinder system with 3.5 sources allowed, not the other way around. Sleepy brains + Internet =/= clear communication

Answerer
2012-10-14, 10:08 PM
The Arsenic and Old Lace (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=2714.0) poison handbook has a lot of advice on alchemical items.

Blister Oil (Races of Stone) looks like your best bet for cheap. Sleep-smoke (Waterdeep: City of Splendors) is technically a poison but it's inhaled so it works like an alchemical item. It's also very cheap. Note that Craft (Poisonmaking) is a very useful skill.

Of course, Aboleth Mucus is stupidly cheap and is a save-or-die with a relatively high DC (19), but that'll probably be banned the moment your DM understands what it does.

EDIT: Huh, you're higher level than I thought. Honestly, alchemical items are getting pretty weak by those levels. I don't know what Pathfinder may have added, but your options may be somewhat limited from 3.5.

Venomous Fire (Fiend Folio) is somewhat pricey compared to the Core stuff (it's 220 gp per), but I think at your level you're going to need the extra potency.

Also, definitely try to get Shape Splash (Races of Stone), as it's fantastic.

Madara
2012-10-14, 10:16 PM
Remember that you can also make poisons with Craft(Alchemy) at a -4 penalty. So keep that in mind as you go up in levels. I'd dig around the PF SRD if I were you, a few of the items are still pretty nice, just keep in mind that at higher levels, you don't want the alchemic item to offer a save.

Also, definitely try to get Shape Splash (Races of Stone), as it's fantastic.

Just to note, this is a feat called "Shaped Splash", not an item? Can you give a page number on that, I can't find it. Also, pathfinder has the wonderful Precise Boms for Alchemists, which I don't know if it applies to splash weapons in general..

Mcdt2
2012-10-14, 10:52 PM
Huh, you're higher level than I thought. Honestly, alchemical items are getting pretty weak by those levels. I don't know what Pathfinder may have added, but your options may be somewhat limited from 3.5.

I'm not sure what you mean by "higher level", as I stated the character is level 1. Thanks for that handbook though, will definitely check that out.

Also, I think I may have been a bit unclear actually. I did not mean to post this as "3.P" as in "3.5 with some pathjfinder sources" I meant it was "pathfinder with 3.5 sources." Thus poison making is used with the Alchemy skill at no penalty and craft poisonmaking isn't actually a thing.

Darrin
2012-10-15, 06:33 AM
Here's my list of Top Ten Alchemical Items (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8235944&postcount=9). That post mentions Tarmak War Paint, which is pretty obscure and definitely not cheap... but only a DC 25 to create (Dragonlance Campaign Setting p. 232).