PDA

View Full Version : Wish Question

Arcanist
2012-10-14, 10:11 PM
Can wish grant a spell as a spell-like ability?

Dusk Eclipse
2012-10-14, 10:28 PM
I think you could if you got it to mimic Imbue with a Spell-like ability; but giving a complete sla would enter in DM fiat.

Curmudgeon
2012-10-14, 10:33 PM
You may try to use a wish to produce greater effects than these, but doing so is dangerous. (The wish may pervert your intent into a literal but undesirable fulfillment or only a partial fulfillment. That's the territory this sort of Wish gets you into.

You can ask, but beware the sniling DM.

AlchemicalMyst
2012-10-14, 10:35 PM
No*, unless there is a spell it can duplicate that will do that. I only know of Imbue with Spell Ability, but that would only be temporary. It may, however, be used to create a magic item. You could have At-Will casting of a spell that way.

*: It's a complicated 'no' because a GM may allow it as the Wish spell's only limit is that of the GM. However, going more powerful than what options are listed pretty much begs for the GM to throw in a trick or two.

ericgrau
2012-10-14, 11:26 PM
It is DM territory but if the SLA is low enough level I think it's reasonable. The next question is what level is reasonable for the SLA. I think a 1/day SLA could be priced at about the same as a 1/day slotless magic item. True it's harder to destroy, but if it were a magic item you might have gotten it slotted for half price. And an SLA can't be sold for half later.

For a magic item wish says you pay twice the normal xp crafting cost plus 5,000 xp. So that would be 800 gp * uses/day * spell level * caster level which comes to 64 xp * uses/day * spell level * caster level + 5,000 xp. So there's your cost of wishing for any SLA.

For some SLAs your DM may rule that it is not abusive to allow it at will, in which case the cost is the same as 5/day. Others are too abusable and should not be allowed at any price.

For caster levels higher than minimum or caster levels that scale with HD your DM has to fudge it a bit. Guess what that caster level is really worth. If almost nothing increases with caster level it's worth very little beyond the cost of the minimum caster level. If the spell gets much better with caster level then it might be worth the full amount. If it gets much better and it scales then you need to say well it'll be CL 20 (and worth CL 20 cost) eventually, right now it's CL 11, so overall it's really worth about as much as CL X. Like maybe you think it's mainly useful for CL 11-17 so you price the scaling CL the same as CL 14. Another consideration is that having/paying something now carries more weight than having/paying it later. So he prices it the same as CL 13 instead because you don't even get the scaling benefit until the future when it isn't as useful.