PDA

View Full Version : [PF/3.5]Best Wizard Race?

Rasman
2012-10-15, 01:28 AM
I'm just curious, other than Human for the extra feat, is there a 'best race' for Wizards in either PF or 3.5?

I don't necessarily mean just 'races' mind you, i.e. Human, Elf, Halfling, etc, etc. This comes down to monster races too, is there a monster race that just makes you go 'if you ever try to play that was a wizard, I'll carve your eyes out with a plastic spoon'?

Arcanist
2012-10-15, 02:02 AM
As much as it hurts my soul to say this, but Grey Elf is one of the best Wizard Races. Anything that gives you + to int is assumed to be a good Wizard race.

Lord.Sorasen
2012-10-15, 03:21 AM
In D&D, there really aren't very good wizard races with racial HD. Casting is more important than anything, really truly.

In Pathfinder, Elves make fine wizards. The penalty to constitution hurts but the boost to intelligence more than makes up for it, and the bonuses to overcome spell resistance are a nice touch.
Emberkin Aasimar are basically ideal in this regard, gaining a plus to intelligence and a lot of other nice things. Nothing gamebreaking but I'd put it around the same as human. Tiefling for the same reason.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/uncommon-races/arg-samsaran: These guys, however. Mystic Past Life will let you pick up some free spells, and that is a huge bonus. Especially when you realize you can select spells from other lists so long as they're arcane. Bard and Magus lists in particular tend to have just a ton of spells at lower levels than the same spells for wizards, and witches get quite an interesting few spells normally divine.

Griffith!
2012-10-15, 06:57 AM
Gray elves. Sad but true.

Deathkeeper
2012-10-15, 07:44 AM
Ratfolk in PF aren't too bad. Race traits aren't anything special, but they get Darkvision, +1 AC from size, and perfect ability mods (+Int+Dex-Str)
Certain Tiefling breeds can also get bonuses to your main stats, nice features, and the prehensile tail can be really useful for pulling out scrolls/wands/rods as swift actions.

blazinghand
2012-10-15, 10:48 AM
I can only speak for 3.5, but I love using small sized creatures for Wizards.

Halflings make for decent Wizards since small size boosts their AC and ray attacks substantially. The bonus on saves, and against fear, are both excellent, and the -2 Str doesn't hurt you at all. If your DM allows strongheart halflings, that's probably one of the best Wizard races in the game.

Gnomes aren't so bad either, even for non-illusionists. You still get a modest boost to AC and ray attacks, and +2 Con is really excellent. The bonuses with illusions and SLAs won't help a huge amount but do not hurt.

Goblins are slightly better than Halflings in the very early game due to their 30 speed. Once you have reliable access to any sort of movement, or if you have good party members who keep you safe, I'd say avoid them.

Kobolds take a hit to Con and gets +1 Nat Armor relative to Goblins. Not worth it at all, and the skill bonuses aren't very useful for an adventuring Wizard.

Anything with LA or Racial HD lowers your caster level so isn't very good.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-10-15, 11:48 AM
Dragonwrought Kobolds on other hand.... area a pretty neat race, +3 to int (and other mental stats) is pretty good and Dragon type gives access to some interesting things, such as early entry into some prestige classes (no, I am not talking bout Loredrake or similar) and some nifty forms for Alter Self (3.5 version, not PF), mercury dragon wyrmling is extremely durable and quick.