PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Age of Worms Campaign Journal

Fra Antonio
2012-10-15, 02:43 AM
Hello everyone, and yes, this will be yet another Age of Worms campaign journal. Obviously, I'm here to share the story and ask for advice.

The advice part actually comes first because we haven's started yet. It will be a group of three players with little experience in dungeon crawling - they are more used to my campaigns that focus more on character interaction, with relatively rare combat encounters. We will probably deviate from the main line quite a bit from time to time, though I plan (or rather 'hope') to eventually play it to the end.

I hear this adventure path can be quite dangerous and that bothers me.
On one hand, after the previous group almost steamrolled the RHoD (the challenge was saved by encounter modifications from the guide on this forum), I decided to pay more attention to the materials we use and limit the power level so I don't have to waste time restatting enemies.
On the other hand, it's a 3 character group, so they may have some action economy problems. And again, they lack experience and deep system understanding to handle challenges above their level.
I have some experienced players at hand, and they will be eager to join, but they tend to ruin the pace of this particular group with their 'been there, done this, let's rush onward and do everything as I said' attitude. So I'll try to not get persuaded by them :).

In this group, nobody actually knows English well enough to make good characters, so I usually help them. I think I need some advice on this too. First, on party composition:
1) Human Illusionist who will later enter the Shadowcraft Mage PrC (I lifted the racial restriction). The campaign seems quite undead heavy, and I wonder if she will be ok. 28 point-buy.
2) Human Rogue/Swashbuckler Daring Outlaw. I'll give her 1/2 Sneak Attack against creatures immune to critical hits. Also, I want my players to have fun-to-play characters and am looking for viable alternatives to TWF (which I find boring). Swordsage dip? I'm a little afraid of ToB after a Lv 8 Crusader almost dueled upgraded Ragiarix (from RHoD) to death. 30 point buy (for being a non-casting character).
3) Human Cleric of Heironeus who will later enter the Ordained Champion PrC. Well he shouldn't have any problems with this, I think. 28 point buy.

Any help will be appreciated.

ThiagoMartell
2012-10-15, 03:09 AM
You think TWF boring, but what does the player think?

Fra Antonio
2012-10-15, 03:19 AM
You think TWF boring, but what does the player think?
Well of course I'll ask the player, but knowing her she won't be too excited with the 'stay still and full attack' concept. Or are there nice ways of giving TWF-ers more mobility?

ThiagoMartell
2012-10-15, 03:22 AM
Well of course I'll ask the player, but knowing her she won't be too excited with the 'stay still and full attack' concept. Or are there nice ways of giving TWF-ers more mobility?
Yes, plenty. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103358)

Fra Antonio
2012-10-15, 03:41 AM
Yes, plenty. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103358)
Thank you.
Though I hate how this essential feature requires one to go out of their way to acquire it. I mean, almost everything on the list (except for the items) requires one to be of particular race, tribe or take levels in classes that may not fit the concept.

Guess I'll allow her to take that Lion Tribe Warrior feat. Definately not OP and available at lowe levels without dipping to some barbarian.

ThiagoMartell
2012-10-15, 04:21 AM
Thank you.
Though I hate how this essential feature requires one to go out of their way to acquire it. I mean, almost everything on the list (except for the items) requires one to be of particular race, tribe or take levels in classes that may not fit the concept.

Guess I'll allow her to take that Lion Tribe Warrior feat. Definately not OP and available at lowe levels without dipping to some barbarian.
The option that fits better for a Daring Outlaw type is the DC 40 Tumble check, I think. That and the items, of course. Quicksilver Boots, the Chronocharm of the Horizon Walker and Anklets of Translocation are exactly the kind of magical item you'd expect from a trickster fighter. What's more, they're cheap - even if you put both Anklets of Translocation and Quicksilver Boots in the same item, it costs only 5.3k gp and that's about 1k per use of free movement.
Wandchambers allow you to have a wand of lion's charge inside your weapon. That's around 90gp for each pounce.
Alternatively, psionics. A dorje of hustle costs the same as a wand of lion's charge and a dorje of dimension hop is dirty cheap. You could even take Hidden Talent to get Dimension Hop and 2 pp - that's 2 extra free moves and you can get it from level 1.

Or you could just change Two-weapon Pounce to actually be worth taking it. Just make it apply precision damage to both attacks and it's good enough. It will be somewhat weaker once you get BAB +6 (at around level 7, if it's a standard Daring Outlaw build).

I don't understand why you seem averse to dips now, though. You suggested a Swordsage dip yourself. :smallconfused:

Fra Antonio
2012-10-15, 04:46 AM
I don't understand why you seem averse to dips now, though. You suggested a Swordsage dip yourself. :smallconfused:
No, you got me wrong :). I don't like the idea of dipping into some unrelated class like Lion Totem Barbarian. I mean, how and why would a swashbuckler do it? Swordsage, on the other hand, can be interpreted as a deeper focus on combat within the scoundrel archetype. At least it works like this for me :)

Thanks for all the suggestions though, I'll consider improving the feat.