PDA

View Full Version : Chapter 4: A Glitch in the Matrix

BelGareth
2012-10-15, 12:13 PM
Chapter 4: A Glitch in the Matrix

As you lean against the wall of the building nearest you moments after Master Oakenstaff poofs out of existence, as he was wanton to do, you feel as if something is amiss.

Did you just hear something? No, must have been your imagination...

*Bang*

No, there it was, a muffled explosion, akin to Hasni's bombs...

Looking down the street you see a group of zombies milling about, too far along to give you any notice or trouble. Several bodies lie on the floor.

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/237/7/8/medieval_city_by_thardok-d47rkmh.jpg

And then another.

*Bang*

A zombie falls to the floor, its rotted brain matter splattering the ground, its body crumpling to the floor like a rag doll. The rest turning, groaning like bleating sheep stuck in a pen.

How curious....

It hadn't taken Saffron long to find the spot, a nice long view of the whole street, almost gave her perfect Enfilade if she hadn't been up so high, but the elevation was a boon. Especially with the hoard that was following them, or at least Jon had insisted.

Slade peered over the roof wall, where Saffron had setup her rifle and was picking off the zombies one at a time. They had made a game out of it, pointing out ones that looked like famous people and then Saffron would see if she could hit them.

She would every time.

It was the most fun they had had in a long time, Jon's dogs lolled around the floor, enjoying and basking in the sun which managed to get through the black cloud that hung over the city, refusing to escape the bubble that enclosed everything.

You smiled as Saffron sighted in on another, even though you were hungry and out of food, the hunger pains seemed to fade with the smiles.

Golden, just noticed you have a keg of gunpowder, how are you carrying this?

Iron Victory
2012-10-17, 04:18 PM
Jon sat on an overturned bucket, absently scraping his dagger across a whetstone. The Justicar wasn't happy about hiding away and sniping the abominations, but he supposed it was necessary. Satisfied with its edge, he sheathes the knife and reaches into his pack for a bone, tossing it to Argos and Maera. The two mastiffs begin to wrestle over their prize as he saunters up to Saffron, his crimson armor gleaming in the Sun. “So what's the situation, is the street clear? We need to search for food soon.” He hands the half-orc marksman the last of his wine, surveying the carnage below.

GuyFawkes
2012-10-18, 01:58 AM
Lucien

Lucien is still despondent, trudging forward mindlessly along with the others. He wonders, if the loss of someone he knew for only a day, how would he react to the news of Horus or Denev kicking the bucket. Or much worse, his father.

*Bang*

The loud, dull sound brings the half-elf back to reality. In his mind, he knows the sound to be something familiar, yet he couldn't put his fingers around it. He looks around for the source.

*Bang*

There it is again. This time he is sure. He knows what it is. He looks up above, and sure enough, a glint of sunlight hitting metal catches his eyes.

Gunshot.

The next logical thing to follow is what the gunner is shooting at. He half knew what it was, and sure enough, before them, around a hundred feet down the alleyway, a group of zombies are moving forward towards the shooter, falling one by one.

Zombies!! he shouts in his mind.

Immediately he draws his sword, and, unconsciously holds his other hand out in the air as if holding another weapon, and in only a few moments later, a sword appears out of nowhere, rather identical to the one in his right hand.

By then, Lucien's image is already shifting and wavering, his weapons to his sides, his posture lowered. He is ready to attack.

But instead of charging forward, he focuses himself, and beside him, a figure identical to himself appears in front of him, and as soon as it completely materializes, the copy runs forward as fast as it can into the zombie group's midst, with arms flailing to its sides, as if begging to be struck down.

I'm assuming the zombies didn't notice us yet, so I had time to do what I needed to do.

Cast Blur.
Cast Phantom Assailant. Copy runs into the zombie group.

Golden Ladybug
2012-10-18, 04:51 AM
Saffron accepted the bottle of wine with one hand, her eyes not leaving the scene down below her.

"They're not taking the hint; up until that one, they were just shambling closer whenever I shot one down," Saffron complained, taking a single swig of the wine and passing it on to the other Half-Orc, "I think we're going to have to go around them, maybe backtrack and find another way around"

Sighing, she looked away from the horde below them "Lets go. We'll find food somewhere else"

Chambering another Bullet, and swiftly stuffing in a load of Black Powder, Saffron threw her Rifle's strap over her shoulders and prepared to leave.

As she got to her feet, she saw movement out of the corner of her eyes - and not the unsteady shamble of the undead. A white-haired boy charged into the crowd of Zombies, swinging two identical blades with reckless abandon, strikes going wide and slashes missing by miles.

"You bloody idiot!" The Marksman shouted, swinging her weapon back around into her hands and loosing a shot into the Horde, the sound of the shot echoing through the streets, aiming for the Zombies around the Boy "Get out of there before you get killed!"

Her hands blurred into action, stuffing a cartridge into the Rifle's chamber, and pulling the blot back. Taking aim at another undead foe, she pulled back the trigger with another crack.

Saffron fires at the two Zombies closest to the Phantom Lucien. She doesn't want to see "you" get yourself killed.

Illusions, amirite?

Swift Action: Pull Weapon Cord to get Musket Back

Full Attack Action: Attack [roll0] +1 if within 30ft
(Crit) [roll1] +1 if within 30ft
Damage [roll2] +1 if within 30ft
(CritDamage) [roll3] +1 if withing 30ft

Free Action: Reload with Alchemical Cartridge

Attack [roll4] +1 if within 30ft
(Crit) [roll5] +1 if within 30ft
Damage [roll6] +1 if within 30ft
(CritDamage) [roll7] +1 if withing 30ft

Aaaand, watch as I misfire and break my gun straight away :smallbiggrin:

...wait, why did I roll for crits? They're Zombies

SlyJohnny
2012-10-18, 10:53 AM
Slade peers out over the horde, his mouth silently moving as he tries- not for the first time- to get an accurate count. He grits his teeth in growing exasperation with Saffron's game, hating the smell of black powder, and convinced that it's giving him a headache. At least it's something to do, though. And a chit who's that good a shot is worth keeping around. He fishes around in his pocket for a walnut from his dwindling rations, cursing slightly as it seems to roll away from his grasping fingers several times before he manages to grab it, and peers down with detached interest at the white-haired young man that seemingly throws himself into the mass of zombies.

He turns to comment on this to Saffron, notices that he's being offered Jon's wineskin, and silently revises his opinion of his companions as being good and decent sorts. He accepts the drink gratefully, taking a long drag and letting it swish around in his dry mouth for a bit. "Hrngh. Thought all the sellswords that dumb would've killed themselves off by now." He pops the walnut into his mouth and crunches it, frowning. "Though he's not even tryin' to pick em off from the side, you see that? Just... ran right in there. Maybe he's had enough of life. Or he's trying to cover someones escape." He says, passing the wineskin back to Jon.

Sparrow
2012-10-18, 02:23 PM
Ralph was still barely managing to stand. His head had been pounding and the gunshots made it no better. One shot after another, Ralph flinched, trying to discern the location of the shooter.

Then, Lucien charged. "No, that's probably not a good i..." but, he was already gone and Ralph was in no shape to help him. "Guys, I can't... I can't...help" Ralph fell to his knees again. "Help him, I'll try to do what I can from here. I can't... I can't... lose another person. I've lost too many already." Ralph's mind had been surging since they were teleported with memories, so many memories. Yet, still he could not put a name to all the faces. He knew they meant something, but as to what, he wasn't sure.

BelGareth
2012-10-21, 07:42 PM
Luciens illusion barely manages to get to the zombies and run in between them, like a chicken in its death throes. Ultimately, one zombie turns and swipes at the figment, slashing through the magic and releasing the special bomb throwing the zombie back a foot and stunning it.

Quickly a shot rings through the air and the zombie drops to the floor.

One less.

But now the pack has stirred, the explosion of eldritch energy and the systematically felling of their brethren they surge forward and manage to knock down the door to the house they are near.

Seeing the person explode you realize it was a setup and that others may be about, you quickly take the initiative and blow the Z's head clean off as it recovers from the magical blast.

But you all quickly realize that may have spurred on the very thing you were trying to prevent. The Z's break through the door below and you can hear them shambling up the stair case. You are eerily aware that you are trapped.

Iron Victory
2012-10-21, 08:47 PM
“What in the Nine Hells?” exclaims Jon as the young half-elven boy explodes into an arcane mist. Hearing the downstairs barricade break open, he dons a full-faced helm and draws his Greatsword, Longfang, from its scabbard. The Justicar moves to the door, whistling for Argos and Maera to form up behind him. “We’ll take them here, their numbers will count for less in the small space.”

Add +2 to attack and +3 to damage for Jon because of Slade's Bull Strength.
[Not calculated]

Jon
Readied Action [Jon]: Power attack the first zombie that comes through the door.
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll]2d6+14/roll] 18 [Power Attack]

Hounds
Readied Action [Argos + Maera]: Charge the second zombie that comes through the door, attacking it from both sides.

Argos
Attack: [roll1] [Charge] [Flank]
Damage: [roll]1d6+2/roll] 6
Trip: [If bite hits.] [roll2] [Charge] [Flank]

Maera
Attack: [roll3] [Charge] [Flank]
Damage: [roll]1d6+2/roll] 3
Trip: [If bite hits.] [roll4] [Charge] [Flank]

Golden Ladybug
2012-10-22, 12:33 AM
"Sonnuva..." The Half-Orc mumbled to herself as the phantasmal Half-Elf exploded into arcane sparks. She'd managed to fell one of the Zombies, but there was a lot more of them still to come.

And now they'd broken into the building.

Quickly and calmly reloading her Musket, Saffron judged the gap between the buildings on either side of her. Not impossible, and she wasn't the worst jumper out there. She could make it.

The other two, on the other hand...she wasn't sure about them, and Jon wouldn't leave without Argos and Maera. Seems like she was staying here, then.

"I think I'll apologise in advance if I accidentally shoot you, Jon" Saffron quipped, bracing her Rifle against her shoulder, aiming for the still-closed door to the roof.

Since Jon has the first Zombie, and the hounds have the Second, I'll shoot at the third zombie :smallwink:

To-hit [roll0]
Crit [roll1]
Damage [roll2]
Crit [roll3]

I think its safe to assume they'll be within 30ft, unless its a really big roof.

SlyJohnny
2012-10-22, 03:02 AM
Slade curses violently, rising to his feet. "We got trouble. But Jon's right! We can funnel 'em here. I can keep you up and fighting. We can do this, dames and dukes."

Slade moves over to Jon. "You wearing anything that gives you magical strength, or anything what protects you by turning aside blades?" he asks, and immediately starts beseeching his ancestors to armor the man and to guide his blade, to augment his strength. Jon can feel a burst of vim and vigour in his muscles, and a shimmering shield of force forms around him as Slade prays.

Bull's Strength on Jon, +4 enhancement bonus to strength for 5 minutes. Shield of Faith on Jon, +2 Deflection bonus to AC for 5 minutes. If Jon indicates that he already has magic items that grant bonuses like these, I won't cast one or both of these spells, instead casting Divine Favor or Bull's Strength on myself.

Slade stretches an hand out to his side, and is suddenly clutching a bardiche, with a blade of black iron in the orcish style, and bits of colored string hanging from it. He walks over to the stairwell and swings the weapon up to his other hand, holding it reading and bracing it, pointing it down the stairwell.

Ancestral Weapon, Bardiche. Readied/delayed action- setting the bardiche against a charge, will attack as the first zombie comes into range, and then again with the AoO as it pushes towards me, then 5-foot step diagonally back so as to clear the way for Jon to charge it and fill the space.

Attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1] x2 damage if the zombie charges
AoO: [roll2] Damage: [roll3] x2 damage if the zombie charges

GuyFawkes
2012-10-22, 10:09 AM
Lucien

The half-elf's eyebrow arches as he sees the zombie's reaction, or non-reaction, to his 'attack'. However that does not stop him from trying something else. Dropping both his swords, he takes out his bow and nocks one arrow.

"Ma, try that missile thing or whatever you have. We should distract them. There seems to be people up that building, and they might be trapped," he says all the while before letting fly his arrow.

Free action Drop sword.
Move action Ready longbow.

Damage: [roll1]

Fireheart
2012-10-22, 04:01 PM
"Aye, Lucien."
Ma nods, shaking herself from her daze. She glances up toward the building before turning her attention to the undead.

She speaks a word and two missiles of bright blue flash toward one of the zombies.

OOC:
Thanks Guy! That's something she can do w/o updating the CS!

[roll0]
[roll1]

BelGareth
2012-10-23, 11:50 AM
Ma's missile flies towards the shambling zombie, punching two fist sized wholes in its abdomen, looking down a look of undead surprise splays across its crusted face, touching the wholes it falls down and collapses, the dark energies holding it together fleeing to the void.

Similarly, Luciens arrow veers toward his target unerringly, slamming in and through the head of one zombie before getting stuck, the zombie turns to regard you looking somewhat comical with an arrow through his head.

Moments later, the Zombies have reached the roof, sniffing out the man flesh and hunting it down with a fervor left for only those who hunger eternally. They crash through the door and the first one is skewered by Slades Bardiche, the end of the weapon pushing back against the stone work as the body of the zombie fell down. Another loud *BANG* and another head explodes as Saffron manages to destroy yet another zombie with her pin point accuracy.

The next 3 zombies to come smashing through the doorway are slaughtered without pause, as Jon and his hounds go to work, viciously tearing and gnashing at the undead flesh. By the time they are done, a pile of undead bodies lie stacked several feet high. But yet more still come.

2 burst manage to burst through, narrowly avoiding any attacks against it and they swipe at the man before them.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

Iron Victory
2012-10-23, 12:44 PM
"The enchantments are appreciated, Slade." states Jon matter-of-factly as he calmly cuts down an undead shambler. Rotting fists slam ineffectually against enchanted plate as he moves forward to slay his attackers. The gore-soaked Longfang descends in a vicious arc.

Using Cleave (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/cleave-combat):

Primary:

Cleave:
Attack: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

GuyFawkes
2012-10-23, 02:58 PM
Lucien

With his arrow failing to fell the undead, a 'tsk tsk' issues from his mouth as he nocks up another arrow and fires again.

Golden Ladybug
2012-10-25, 09:05 AM
Saffron's hands darted from her belt to her Rifle, breaking open the chamber and batting away the spent cartridge, replacing it with another. Jon's slashes with his greatsword were titantic, cutting through undead flesh like it was wet paper.

The Zombies were still piling into the building, with only a few at the back staying put (they must be distracted by something...and, is that an Arrow sticking out of that one's neck?). They would come careening up the stairs soon, and it would do them no harm to deal with some of them now.

Quickly taking aim, and releasing a deep breath, the Half-Orc loosed a shot into the zombies closest to the door - Perhaps if they fell, it would slow the others down, give them a fighting chance.

A second shot, instants later, thundered into the second rank, the bullet exploding from the chamber with a CRACK

This post is assuming that the only zombies who have so far made it up the stairs are the five that we have killed, and the two that Jon is slaughtering now. If there are more heading up, Saffron will prioritize killing them over shooting at the ones down on the street

Lets use Focused Aim to add Cha-to-Damage for Ranged Attacks for a Round, and hope I crit to get the Grit back :smallwink:

Attack 1
To-Hit [roll0]+1 if within 30ft
Crit [roll1]+1 if within 30ft
Damage [roll2] +1 if within 30ft

Attack 2
To-Hit [roll3]+1 if within 30ft
Crit [roll4]+1 if within 30ft
Damage [roll5] +1 if within 30ft

Ignore both Misfires with Stranger's Fortune :smalleek:

Good thing these are Touch Attacks, or I would be being incredibly ineffective

BelGareth
2012-10-26, 11:05 AM
The zombies do not back down, they continue to come at you clawing and grappling over their dead comrades with a fervor unknown to the living.

It is an easy thing however, to hold off a doorway where they are funneled into your cone of death. Undead become dead once more and the air is filled with the putrid scent of rot, human flesh, feces, and the liquid contents of the human flesh.

Finally, you realize that the doorway is still standing, and it is quite, no movement comes from within and no groan or shuffling of feat echoes within.

You all watch as the horde of zombies shuffles into the house, apparently intent on the living intruders therein, ignoring your attacks, you managed to fell a few before they disappeared, but you fear the worst, that was a sizable group and even the best well trained warriors would have a hard time with that.

Moving towards the house you hear the shuffle of battle, the clang of metal upon bone, your heart beating faster you move your feet with speed. But by the time you reach the front doorway, the house is eerily quite.

What has happened, did they survive the undead wave of flesh?

GuyFawkes
2012-10-26, 12:27 PM
Lucien

Picking up his sword, Lucien hurries to the house but stops at the threshold. The silence strikes him as odd, and he holds his swords in both hands. He takes a few steps inside.

"Stay by the door, Ma. We don't know if there are still lots of 'em," he whispers as he motions with his hand for the others to stop.

Looking back inside, he thinks of luring the monsters out instead of going inside.

"Is anyone in there?"

Iron Victory
2012-10-26, 12:51 PM
Two massive hounds descend down the stairs and growl at Lucien, baring their teeth at the half-elven boy. Jon follows them.

Clank. Clank. Clank.

Standing before Lucien is a towering man encased in crimson full-plate, his greatsword drenched in blood and bits of rotten flesh.

“Identify yourself, mage.” He orders, his voice erupting hollowly from within the steel helm.

SlyJohnny
2012-10-26, 12:59 PM
Slade shuffles past from behind the armored warrior. The polearm in his hand fades, turns into an insubstantial mist, and then vanishes.

"Aw, ease up and call off the hounds, big guy. He's just folks. Like us."

Slade moves around, past the dogs, and approaches Lucien head on. He offers his hand to shake.

"Daygreet there, cutter. My name's Slade. Didn't I see you just rush into a mob of zombies and then... explode? What was up with that?" he says, grinning.

Golden Ladybug
2012-10-26, 06:32 PM
Saffron follows Slade out from behind Jon, her rifle slung over one shoulder and a scowl on her face.

"Yeah, we wouldn't have had to fight all those Zombies if it wasn't for your stunt," She growled, but it was easy enough to tell that it was a growl of exasperation rather than real anger, "Next time you feel like running at a group of undead monsters and exploding, give some warning in advance"

The hand not holding her Rifle waves glibly at the newcomers "So, I'm Saffron, you know Slade and the big guy is Jon. What's your story?"

GuyFawkes
2012-10-27, 12:03 AM
Lucien

The half-elf put crosses his swords before him at the sound of clanking metal, but eases up as he sees someone clad in armor who does not appear to be undead. He puts his weapons down in a sigh of relief.

"Yeah, sorry about that," he apologizes with his head bowed, then faces them again.

"I was trying to get their attention, but alas, I think I gave their dead brains too much credit...they ran here instead of towards us. But the way I see it, you seem to have taken care of all of those creeps. Oh..."

He dissipates his sword in his left hand and extends it.

"The name's Lucien. This here's Ma, and that boy back there's Ralph. We're just survivors like you. We're just trying to get to that house down the alley, but the hoard blocked our way. Anyway, what were you doing here? You can't have holed up here all this time, yeah?"

SlyJohnny
2012-10-27, 03:46 AM
"We've been moving around. Trying to stay away from the larger groups, find food."

Slade lifts his leg up to one of his hands and adjusts the armored greave there to a more comfortable position.

"Havn't taken this garbage off for about a day and a half. I always hated wearing armor. So, group like yours, you're headed somewhere specific. This house of yours. You got friends there? They got room?"

He raises a hand before him in a concilatory gesture, as if forestalling a stream of objections or reluctance. "I know, I know. It's a helluva question, these days, but my friends and I, we're not asking for charity. We're not dead weight. I'm a healer, and I can fight pretty well. The lady here is a real crack shot. Big feller behind me and his dogs have killed more of these things then I've seen anyone do, and he's not even tired yet. We'd need to see the place to decide if we'd even want to stop there in the first place... but if you got the space for us, we could help you keep your house secure."

The half-orc looks from stranger to stranger, seeing how they take this proposal.

GuyFawkes
2012-10-27, 04:07 AM
Lucien

"I don't really doubt your words, seeing as there are just three of you and you took care of all of those...actually where we're going...I'm not sure what to expect. We were just pointed there, and frankly anywhere's better than where we came from."

He stays silent for a few seconds, looking down on the floor.

"If you've no plan, you're welcome to travel with us. I got no problem with that. How 'bout you, Ma?" he turns and asks.

Looking back at the three, he continues, "Though I have to say it outright...we...our group seems to have some bad luck chasing us..." He pauses again, and a grim look appears on his face, "...so follow at your own risk."

With that he sheaths his sword and bows, before moving outside.

"Come, Ralph, Ma. Let's make haste before other creepers make their way here."

Golden Ladybug
2012-10-27, 08:15 PM
"Bad Luck, eh? Who hasn't got it chasing them?" Saffron mused quietly to herself, before letting her rifle hang loose by its strap, slinging it over her shoulder.

"Shall we follow them?" She asked her companions, one eyebrow raised quizzically, "They seem so... lost. Like they don't know what to do anymore, if they ever did at all"

"I think they're gonna need our help" The Half-Orc said, with a tone of finality in her voice. It was clear that she had already made her decision.

She took off at a light jog, keeping pace with the other group, skirts flapping around her as she ran.

Sparrow
2012-10-27, 10:01 PM
Ralph made his way back to his feet after the conflict ended. He made sure that he had his balance and joined the others. As he is introduced he nods, and when he gets the chance he speaks. "Saffron, got it. I feel that it is fair to mention that I have of late been experiences some memory problems. So if in oh say ten minutes I don't remember your name, I apologize."

Iron Victory
2012-10-27, 10:46 PM
Jon wipes his sword on the cloak of a decapitated zombie before sheathing it and following Saffron outside. “That woman will be the death of us…” he grumbles to Slade. Argos and Maera march happily along, tongues lolling in the air.

Fireheart
2012-10-29, 09:55 AM
Ma nods in agreement as everyone talks quickly and then follows the others as Lucien heads toward the house.

A wry grin on her face, Ma looks up at the one called Jon, softly she says, "I've known a few like that. But if we don't have ones like them to follow, it'd be a lot darker, I think."

Her eyes soften for a moment, remembering the fallen.

OOC: is it me or did everyone suddenly start talking like they were in a Firefly episode? I got a serious Firefly vibe the last few posts...maybe it's the guns?

BelGareth
2012-11-01, 02:53 PM
You all take of after Lucien, who in his haste forgot about the possible danger of rushing heading down a dark alley in a city full of wild magic and zombies.

It didn't take long before you see a house at the end of the street, a tall regal house, at least it was once. Before the dome had appeared. Now it looked like a spectre of a house, dark and looming, paneling peeling off like bark, paint chipping and windows sinking back into the panes they were set upon.

It's easy to see that the house enjoyed some form of status when the City was alive, a large cargo bay lies of center to the left of the main doors, wide and open to the cellar below. A Pulley and winch swirl in the wind as they hang from the boom that sticks out into the night from the tip of the Buildings roof.

Darkness seems to emerge from the building and you know one thing for sure, you are going to enter it.

Entering, you all manage to search the building with little difficulty, Argos and Maera helping out immeasurably, and everyone is more than a little comforted by their reassuring presence.

The top floor is empty, chamber pots and beds lying strewn in the wake of robbers and thieves.

The main floor is a little more opportunistic than it's higher brethren and you manage to find a sack of carrots and a candlestick, but nothing else other than rags and kindling from the broken chairs of the common room.

All that was left was the cellar. The dark and looming stone staircase led down into an inky, palpable blackness.

Chills climb up your spine as you look down and something calls out to you, a feeling of dread.

Give me a marching order....er....star descending order for climbing down the stairs please :smallbiggrin:

SlyJohnny
2012-11-01, 04:27 PM
Slade looks down the stairs, frowning.

"Listen. Might be crates and crates of food and stuff down there, but I got a bad feeling in my gut about this. That loading bay up top was wide open, right? Might be dozens of walkers fallen in and got trapped down there. Might be we'd get surrounded, get cut off. I'd like to tie a rope up near the winch outside, so you guys have more then one way of getting out. And... before I go wandering in to some damn creepy cellar, I'd like to talk to my family. My ancestors, I mean. It shouldn't take more then ten minutes. And maybe they'll be all 'hey, Slade, if you go down there, one of your friends will get eaten'. You know?"

He looks up, examining his colleagues. "You guys echoing my chant on this one?"

If they agree they can spare the time;

Slade will head upstairs, and barricade himself inside one of the rooms as best he can, slipping in to a meditative trance.

He questions both his families: Honoured, beloved ancestors. Know that you are not forgotten, and I live ever in your long shadows.

My group and I are about to explore the cellar beneath this house. In terms of our chosen entry point, preparations, our initial formation, dangers and points of interest we should look out for, and how we move and behave while down there; what is the best and safest way for me and my group to completely explore the cellar beneath this building?

...Incidentally, sorry I haven't checked in with you guys for a while, or burnt any offerings. Been busy. Zombie apocalypse and stuff. You know how it is. But then, you knew it was coming, 'cause you guys know the future, and you apparently decided that I should still be here for it, so, you know. This is what you get. You lousy bunch of horse's asses!

(using Wisdom of the Ancestors. 1-10 indicates no response: [roll0] )

Sparrow
2012-11-01, 05:50 PM
"Yeah, okay." Ralph replies the Slade, not quite understanding what is meant by the statement, but going with it for now. The street looked clear for now anyway, so the boy wasn't as worried as he should of been. His mind was set on other things.

After leaning against the wall for a few minutes silent, Ralph speaks up. "So, we aren't even gonna talk about what happened back their?" He asks the rest of the group, minus the new additions, who would have no idea what he was talking about. "I mean, my mind might be making stuff up right now, but I know for a fact that we had someone else with us. Someone we all cared about."

I think giving the Slade 10 minutes is fine, as long as someone is paying attention, we should be fine.

Iron Victory
2012-11-01, 06:10 PM
"Take all the time you need, Slade, you've a got a good sense for these sort of things." That freak with his specters. Jon draws a rope from his pack and secures it to the winch before leaning against a wall, making sure he has line of sight to the cellar, front door, and his new companions. Under his helm the Justicar ***** an eyebrow at Ralph's remark.

They bleeped c-o-c-k-s, haha. :smallamused:

GuyFawkes
2012-11-01, 11:50 PM
Lucien

Lucien looks down in silence at Ralph's question. After a few moments, he looks at him.

"Now is not the time Ralph. But we will not forget. Ever." he speaks, his voice almost breaking, but manages to finish.

Golden Ladybug
2012-11-02, 07:07 AM
"So, I'm guessing that was the Bad Luck you were talking about, eh?" Saffron queries, leaning against one of the walls and unslinging her rifle from her shoulder, "Who'd you lose? Friend? Family? Enemy?"

While she waits for a reply, but with a sense that she would understand if she wasn't given one, she begins checking over her gun for any damage or obstructions. While they were fighting the Zombies in that building, it'd felt like the weapon was... hurting. It'd recoiled back, like it'd been trying to escape.

It had felt just like that when the first gun she'd wielded had misfired catastrophically. It worried her that her trusted and favoured weapon seemed to be in the same shape.

Fireheart
2012-11-02, 01:27 PM
Ma takes a deep breath and you can see her eyes start to water. She dashes a hand across them and you see her visibly try to bring herself back together.

"Friend." She says after a moment. "We did, Ralph. And as much as I would mourn for her, I fear we do not have the luxury of dwelling on it. In fact, I think if we did, she'd kick us."

BelGareth
2012-11-05, 02:27 PM
While the others talk, Jon easily manages to get his rope around the pulley, Argos and Meria both take a peek at the basement entrance, and both whine pitifully. Something was not right down, there, but as most things, it was the last place you had looked.

Slade -

Pfft. Long shadow indeed, you little...Oi!

You treat him better!

No you treat him worse!

Haha, treat him like the red headed step child he is, no tusks...

Kill, everything, kill kill, kill, and maim...

Oh shutup! Not everyone is a pig faced butcher!

KILLL!!!!! Cut their throats, EAT those dogs! HAHAYA

The voices slowly die down, until only a low roar is audible. And then you hear a chanting voice, made up of hundreds and thousands of your ancestors, all in a mocking tone:

"Long shadows are indeed a tricky thing,
tread carefully down those stairs, lest you slip,
your strength may fail you even yet,
and to those who see only night,
your mortal flesh is the delight.

The power of gods is at your hands,
keep it ready by your command,
downward is the angle of descent,
but nether we come may your soul be sent.

Fight fire with water,
and light with darkness,
eve'r backwards or reverse order.

We cannot see through the dark way,
only a soul,
tortured night and day."

SlyJohnny
2012-11-05, 03:42 PM
Slade wanders downstairs, frowning.

"Not the most cryptic they've ever been, but it's close. There's definitely something bad down there. Worse than just walkers. They think we're better off going down the stairs, rather than climbing down the loading bay... but either the stairs are unsafe or they were just being poetical. I'd vote we pass this one by, but I think they want me to go down, even so. I'll take point."

Slade reaches for the oiled leather bullwhip at his side. It shifts away from his grasp, actively seeming to twist and coil away from his hand like a snake. He curses profusely, finally grabs it and pulls it from his belt. He runs a hand along it, chanting, and it begins to glow with a bright light. He looks over at his new companions, his lower lip curling.

"So now I'm involved in whatever bad luck you bastards are dragging along with you. But my two friends here, they ain't yet. Maybe they ain't looking for this kind of trouble. I don't think you've been entirely straight with us about your business. You didn't come here looking for a bag of carrots and a safe place to sleep, did you? Anything you think I deserve to know before I walk into a situation I'm not prepared for?"

Slade waits to see if any answer is forthcoming, then removes a leather bracelet from his wrist and bends it into a cup shape as he begins chanting again. He seems to rise a few centimeters off the floor, before sinking back down.

"Let me get down to the bottom before you follow me. Any of you got any light spells, torches, lanterns... fire 'em up. All of 'em. If you know any kind of magic that would work on ghosts or spirits- force missiles, spectral weapons, any of that stuff- have it ready. Maybe even fire magic or cold iron, too, if you got any handy. Stay close to each other. Watch the shadows. Saffron should stay in the middle of us, and Jon... might want to leave your pooches upstairs."

He prays to his ancestors to protect him as he creeps down the stairwell...

Light, Levitate, Shield of Faith cast on myself. I am physically stepping on the stairs, but also levitating at the precise height of each step, so I don't fall even if I lose my footing.

Sparrow
2012-11-05, 05:22 PM
Ralph stayed silent for a while until Slade rejoined them. "I'll let the others explain what's going on, my minds still a bit fuzzy. But, in any case, I'll go second, I suppose, since I'm pretty good at disarming traps." Ralph slowly drew his shortsword, as if trying to remember the proper way to wield it. After swishing it through the air a couple of times, he felt he could use it good enough and slid the rapier out of its sheathe.

GuyFawkes
2012-11-05, 10:01 PM
Lucien

Lucien paused for a few seconds before speaking.

"There's nothing much to say, really. We...we were looking for the reason why this whole thing happened, and we were pointed here. We do not know what to expect here either."

He then looks at Ralph.

"You okay, man? You think you can handle it now?" he says with a genuine look of concern on his face.

After he asks that, he takes out his sword. He did not realize it earlier, but now he looks at his hand and recalls what he did earlier. It had been all by reflex earlier, his body reacting to the sight of those zombies. He tries to think about producing the copy again, but nothing happens.

Trying a different approach, this time he recalls what he felt earlier and his train of thoughts during that time and extends his left hand. After a few seconds, a small glow of arcane energy wraps around his hand and slowly forms the shape of a sword, coalescing in to an exact copy of the weapon in his other hand.

"Cool."

Draw swords and cast Blur.

Sparrow
2012-11-05, 10:11 PM
"Yeah, I think I'm good. I'm still have the same physical ability. I just need to take a second to get focused. Seems like focusing is my biggest problem right now. Later we'll talk but right now we have a job." Ralph responded to Lucien directly. He then steps aside and swings his sword a few more times and does some lunges with the rapier.

" I'm ready now." He had to focus, this wasn't the place to think about his girlfriend or his cousin, or his parents. This was life or death, and it was time to get focused.

Fireheart
2012-11-06, 09:04 AM
Ma nods in agreement.

"Let's just say we were pointed in this direction but ones wiser than us. I can take the back," she says, "guarding against ones coming this way."

OOC:

Can someone give a me a quick check on what day it is? ie...have we rested enough at any point to get healing/spells.

I think I've used all my spells at this point and I notice my sheet says she's wounded?

If it's a new day, than the only spell she's used is the magic missile from earlier and she's at full hp?

Golden Ladybug
2012-11-10, 06:45 AM
Saffron laughs softly at Slate's comment about Jon and herself not being involved; of course they were. They'd gone through this all with the Half-Orc Bartender, and he was just as much their friend as they were his. If he was going down there, they would be right behind him.

"Well, if you're going into this blind too, then I suppose we can't blame you too much" The sharpshooter replied, pulling back the hammer on her rifle in preparation for what was to come, "And if we have to walk into this big, scary black tunnel where Slate's ancestors have cautioned us about big, scary monsters, then I suppose going in blind is entirely appropriate"

She shrugged, flicking her orange hair out of her eyes with shake of her head "Dumb, but appropriate"

She shouldered her Rifle and took up a fighter's stance in front of the door, mentally preparing to descend into the darkness

BelGareth
2012-11-12, 10:00 PM
Slade hovers in place as he watches the rest of you get into position, it felt somewhat awkward to you all, with maybe the exception of Jon, as it was performed with military precision. Odd that, meeting complete strangers, you are able to coordinate with only a few words here and there.

Looking at everyone and getting the silent nod, and seeing the dogs guarding your rear, slade looks to the darkness and sighs. This is it.

He could here the cackle and the silent shush of his forbearers. They were watching, and so, he knew something was down there. Something important, if not dangerous.

Here goes.

Taking each step carefully, and making sure he was ready for them to shift into a slide, he moved down, the light from behind him flickering across the stone stairs and roof. It took only a moment for Slade to reach the bottom of he cellar. The ground was a thick black soft dirt, damp from the depth of the floor. You first foot steps into the air, inches above the floor, and the deep cavern like cellar is lit up from the light.

Barrels are stacked along both walls, candle holders sway from the center of the curved room, still long and thick, unused. A barrel is slowly leaking onto the floor making a pungent pool below it, thick with a foamy dark liquid.

It would seem that no one has been down here. Until you see the withered form of a body lying on the far side, the skin is in a perpetual goose pimple state, and all essence of the body seems to have been drained from it.

A closer look might reveal some more information.

Your light spell flickers for a moment, threatening to gutter out, as if some ethereal shadow was quenching it slowly.

The room is a 16x16 room, with barrels lining the walls, 4 candles hang from chains equidistant from each other (think four smaller squares inside a bigger square). The body is on the other side of the room. Nothing else seems apparent.

Iron Victory
2012-11-12, 10:24 PM
Jon always felt slightly naked in combat without his hounds, but they were guarding the doors upstairs. Without a word, he brushes past his companions an brings the edge of his greatsword down on the "corpse". He recalled a young Justicar acolyte, (Nathan, was it?) who had been hamstrung when a supposed dead body rose with a feast for living flesh and sunk its rotten teeth into his leg.

Attack roll if required. (Includes +4 from prone.)
Attack:[roll0]
Critical Confirm:[roll1]

Damage: [roll2]

SlyJohnny
2012-11-12, 10:29 PM
Slade describes what he can see to the people still waiting.

"I feel like something's after my light. We need more light, fast. Someone get a torch or a flame down here, and light up those candles for us."

He nods approvingly to Jon as the man shoulders past him and puts the corpse to the sword.

"Prob'ly wise. Don't mess with his head, though. I can ask him how he died in a moment."

GuyFawkes
2012-11-12, 11:26 PM
Lucien

Lucien dissipates his weapon copy and brings down his bag before him to search for something inside. Finding the object he is looking for, he takes it out, strikes it with his sword, whereupon it begins to glow, and tosses it to Ralph.

"Hey, Ralph. Catch."

After putting his backpack on again, he forms his copy again.

Golden Ladybug
2012-11-13, 08:41 AM
Saffron removed one hand from her rifle and shifted her shoulders, letting a small backpack slip over one arm and swing around against the other. One handed, she dug around in the backpack, disturbing a small barrel of black powder and a number of trinkets before she found what she was looking for.

The Half-Orc pulled out a pebble, with a piece of string wrapped around it, from her pack.

The pebble was on fire.

She tossed it up into the air, and caught it again, before quickly tying the pebble around the barrel of her rifle, her motions quick and practiced. It was obvious that she had done this many times before, and tying the burning pebble to the end of the weapon was seemingly effortless.

She then resumed her stance, keeping her rifle trained on the corpse at the far end of the room.

...wait She suddenly thought, eyes widening, If I was the sort of person with a creepy house, who wanted to trick a bunch of people into coming down there, what would I do to make them distracted and vulnerable at the worst possible moment

I'd put a big, suspicious looking thing in the corner, and then hit them from behind while they were looking at it

The Half-Orc spun around on her heel, the heat-less fire of the pebble throwing shadows on the walls of the cellar. Her eyes focused, she scanned the room for anything that might be amiss.

"Um...guys, be on your guard," she cautioned, "and not just from that body over there. I've got a feeling we're being played"

Perception check to see if I notice anything untoward [roll0]

Also, Continual Flame cast on a Pebble with some stringed tied around it is totally worth it :smallamused:

Fireheart
2012-11-13, 08:52 AM
Ma continues to watch both directions.

Perception check

[roll0]
So, down? She asks, her voice shaky.

Sparrow
2012-11-13, 04:24 PM
Ralph caught the object with decent reflexes, just managing to hold onto it. It was glowing, "Right, well, lets have a closer look around then shall we." Ralph paced the room slowly, focusing on everything he could. He wasn't sure what he was looking for, traps or clues as to why they were there would be preferable. Well, obviously traps wouldn't be preferable, but if they were there it would be good to know about.

Perception: Well, this is awkward, never got around to switching my skills, so I'm not sure what to do here. I'm kind of busy, so could someone else figure out my perception skill, that would be great. Thanks friends. In the meantime, I'll roll a d20: [roll0]

Just wanted to get my post in as not to hold everyone up.

BelGareth
2012-11-15, 02:31 AM
Jon approaches the corpse and lops off its head easily, sending it falling to the floor, bouncing off the wet soft dirt of the cellar.

As he does so, a shadowy figure comes forth from the corpse, striking at him, passing right through his armor and into his very soul, sucking and drawing upon his strength.

As this happens another comes from below Slade swiping through his legs as it forms next to him, drinking in the power of his spirit and daring him to best it, dark orbless eyes glow and glare into his.

Attack on Jon
melee flat footed touch* [roll0]
[roll1]

Attack on Slade
melee flat footed touch* [roll2]
[roll3]

* = These attacks are not specifically touch attacks, An incorporeal creature’s attacks pass through (ignore) natural armor, armor, and shields, although deflection bonuses and force effects (such as mage armor) work normally against it.

K.Religion

18 or <
The sinister shadow skirts the border between the gloom of darkness and the harsh truth of light. The shadow prefers to haunt ruins where civilization has moved on, where it hunts living creatures foolish enough to stumble into its territory. The shadow is an undead horror, and as such has no goals or outwardly visible motivations other than to sap life and vitality from living beings.

23 or <
You are facing a Greater Shadow, Greater shadows are those undead shadows that have come to be particularly infused with negative energy, such as those that have spent vast lengths of time in areas of the Plane of Shadow awash in negative energy, or those that have drained the lives of thousands of victims. These undead monsters are often found with a small band of normal shadows, which typically treat a greater shadow as a leader to rally behind.

It's melee attack deals strength damage.

28 or <
It is incorporeal (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/creature-types#TOC-Incorporeal)

33 or <
It is resistant to turning/channel energy

38 or <
If a creature is drained of strength it can turn into a shadow.

Whoever has the highest initiative please roll, we'll do team initiative from now on, cause it's so much easier.

Map
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-kq3KLi8y418/UKSZrri5wgI/AAAAAAAACHM/mGzHSc29oQU/s800/Shaodwssurpriseround.jpg

SlyJohnny
2012-11-15, 03:06 AM
The creature slashing at Slade misses by a hair, as Shade yanks his leg partially out of the way. For the briefest moment, out of the corner of your eye it looks as if a spectral hand swatted at the shadow's appendage and knocked it aside just enough to avoid contact, but it happened so quickly you might have imagined it.

"They're Shadows! Really nasty ones! They're undead, and don't let 'em touch you or they'll waste your muscles away to nothing!" he yells.

Slade takes a step back and begins to murmur, his hand glowing with gray energy...

Touch AC is 14, so first attack misses. Knowledge: Religion [roll0] will edit in results.

5 foot step back to H8, Readied action: casting Cure Moderate Wounds and making a touch attack if either of the creatures moves within range. [roll1] melee touch attack, [roll2] positive energy damage if hit. Expending Legalistic bonus on attack roll.

IronVictory, is Jon's Touch AC only 11? I'd fire Misfortune off to help you, but if it would hit anyway, there's likely no point.

Golden Ladybug
2012-11-15, 06:07 AM
"I hate being right" Saffron snarled, letting out a string of curses in Giant (Giant's had a lot of good swear words). She brought up her Rifle, and opened fire on the flickering shadow drifting over Jon. The other one was closer, but she reasoned that the others would be able to handle it.

Jon was on his own, and without his dogs. He'd need all the help he could get.

Free: 5ft Step to J10
Swift: Focused Aim (Cha to Damage this round)
Full Attack:

Attack1 [roll0]
Crit Confirm [roll1]
Attack2 [roll2]
Crit Confirm [roll3]

Miss Chance [roll4] (2 Hits)
Miss Chance [roll5] (2 Hits)

Damage1 [roll6]
Crit [roll7]
Damage2 [roll8]
Crit [roll9]

Phew, that's a lot of dice rolls, and not very many that matter.

I'm not sure if Shadows have a low Touch AC though, and they ARE Greater Shadows...this situation worries me

Fireheart
2012-11-15, 09:02 AM
Ma takes a single step toward the creature.

Calling on her inner magic, her staff glows brightly blue and she aims a blow at the shadow.

5step to H10
swift action:
Magus arcana: arcane accurace, +int to attk

[roll0]
[roll1]

(arcane pool remaining 6/7, hp 48/48)

GuyFawkes
2012-11-15, 11:35 AM
Lucien

"Then we should withdraw slowly upstairs!"

But even as he suggests so, he steps closer to one of the shades and attacks.

5-ft step to H11.
Attack 1: [roll0]

Attack 2: [roll2]

Sparrow
2012-11-15, 10:45 PM
"No, there must be a reason their here." Ralph says, "Besides they are severely outnumbered." As he finishes his statement, he moves to flank the shade near Ma. He strikes at it with his short sword.

Move Action: Move Around to G11
Standard: Attack with +1 Short sword
I'm gonna roll for sneak attack because I don't quite understand the rules of flanking. If I'm flanking then the extra damage is added, if not, so be it. Attack roll is without bonus of flanking, by the way

Attack:[roll0]
Confirm {19-20}: [roll1]
Damage:[roll2]
Sneak Attack: [roll3]

Ralph also has +7 initiative, don't know if thats relevant now, but yeah, there it is.

Iron Victory
2012-11-16, 12:19 AM
Jon lets out a small gasp as his strength drains from him. Snarling, he slashes at the spectre before warily retreating back to the group.

Touch attacks, my mortal enemy... :smalleek:
On the bright-side, the strength damage isn't as bad as it could have been.
I get a big bonus for flanking, so if anybody wanted to help me out I wouldn't complain.

STANDARD
Damage: [roll1] (Forgot to add in Challenge, please make that 24)

MOVE
5 foot step to E13.

SWIFT
Challenge the nearest undead horror. (+5 to damage and allies gain +2 to hit the thing. Also, just a tip, you all get a +1 to charge attacks within 60 feet of me.)

SlyJohnny
2012-11-16, 03:48 AM
Touch attacks, my mortal enemy... :smalleek:
On the bright-side, the strength damage isn't as bad as it could have been.
I get a big bonus for flanking, so if anybody wanted to help me out I wouldn't complain.

That ain't gonna happen, you're up in the corner and your shade has it's back to two walls. We can't flank it.

You'd be better served attacking the one that's in the midst of all of us, and we'll deal with them one at a time.

BelGareth
2012-11-17, 03:19 AM
Slade -
Slade Steps back and after murmuring a few words his hand glows white with energy, small wisps of white fire dance around his finger tips, as if hungry to quench the evil darkness in the room.

Saffron -
You take aim at the spectral mist of the undead shadow and fire off two rounds, either your weapon missed entirely or it is unable to hit the creature.

Ma -
You step forward and with your staff glowing with arcane energy strike at the thing, destroying shadow as you do, your staff obviously hits the thing making it semisolid for only an instant as it smashes through it.

Lucien -
Following Ma's lead you make two quick strikes, but only your offhand manages to make any affect, dissipating more of the shadowy stuff.

Ralph -
Having found your voice again you have surely found your sword arm, moving up and striking at the thing in turn you land a solid blow.

Jon -
You heft your greatsword, which feels slightly heavier than usual and make a mighty swing at the thing before you, unfortunately the strike swipes straight through the creature without harming it!

Shadows -
The one that has been hit several times moves around Ralph with a surreal grace, while the other moves up to Jon relentlessly.

Attack on Jon
melee touch* [roll0]
[roll1]

Attack on Ralph
melee touch* [roll2]
[roll3]

* = These attacks are not specifically touch attacks, An incorporeal creature’s attacks pass through (ignore) natural armor, armor, and shields, although deflection bonuses and force effects (such as mage armor) work normally against it.

Map

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-C6APSungv7w/UKdIjczfcfI/AAAAAAAACHk/msszc5scSvY/s800/Shaodwsround1.jpg

Golden Ladybug
2012-11-17, 10:11 PM
"Jon, get out of there!" Saffron called to the warrior, wincing when the shadow's shadowy arms ripped more energy from him.

Letting her Rifle drop, which bounced in-mid air when its strap caught it, she flexed her left wrist and caught the short stick that flew out of the sheath. The wand was new, so she hadn't quite gotten a feel for it yet, but she wasn't going to let that stop her.

And if she couldn't hurt them with her Rifle, especially on a shot like that, then she was going to have to improvise.

She took aim at the Specter, and attempted to unleash a torrent of bright, ever twisting colors right in the shade's face.

...and was rewarded when the wand's tip exploded into a burst of smoke, and began spewing sparks along its length. Looking at the wand in amazement, Saffron considered swearing in Giant some more. It was very therapeutic.

She shook her head, and tossed the currently useless wand over her shoulder and began running over to assist Jon against the Spectre that was devouring his strength.

Use Magic Device check to activate my Wand of Silent Image :smallamused:

[roll0] (DC20)

...that went poorly :smallmad:

After using my Swift Action to draw, my Standard Action to use and my poor luck to break my Wand of Silent Image, I'll use my Move Action to run to D15, which'll make it so that Jon can get a Flank off against the Shadow by taking a 5ft step.

Fireheart
2012-11-17, 11:52 PM
Ma continues to attack the shadow.

swift action:

[roll0]
[roll1]

Miss chance
[roll2]

(arcane pool remaining 5/7, hp 48/48)

GuyFawkes
2012-11-18, 01:44 AM
Lucien

"Hey, you. Get out of there!" he shouted at Jon while going over to distract the shade.

Charge to E15.
Attack 1: [roll0] +3 from Jon

Attack 2: [roll2] +3 from Jon

Sparrow
2012-11-18, 02:04 AM
"Get out, we'll finish them off." Ralph yelled, as he struck at the adjacent shade.

Attacking the same one again. Not moving from current square.

Attack 1 (+1 Short Sword: [roll0]
Damage:[roll1]
Miss Chance:[roll2]

Attack 2(Mundane Rapier): [roll3]
Damage:[roll4]

Iron Victory
2012-11-18, 03:03 PM
Jon's stance falters as the weight of his armour crashes down on him. Stubbornly, the Justicar forces himself up and lashes out at the shadow, taking an opening Saffron provided. "Aren't you a little out of your element here, marksmen?" The half-orc can sense a smile beneath his crimson great-helm.

Standard:
Attack: [roll0] (Assumes flanking bonus)

Just a reminder, everyone gets a +2 to attack my shadow.

BelGareth
2012-11-21, 03:43 AM
Slade -
Slade stands there taken aback at the attacks of the shadows and forced to listen to his ancestors cackling at him. (feel free to add an action)

Saffron -
You draw your wand and attempt to use like you've seen mages do before, but this time the wand zizzles and pops instead of activating the magic within, furious at your failure you charge over to help Jon, letting the shadow strike at you as you pass by.

You provoked an AOO!
[roll0]
[roll1]

Ma -
Keeping up with the foul undead thing you strike at it again, again scoring a good hit.

Lucien -
You charge the thing, making one good attack and managing to strike the creature, disseminating some of its shadow from the world.

Ralph -
You stay with the beast and strike at it, your magical sword pierces its body, making it whip its eyes around to you.

Jon -
You manage to swing your sword again, striking through the thing with ease, somehow.

Your damage bonus is way less than 13. It is 7, +1 str, +1 enhancement, +5 challenge.

Shadows -
The one attacking Jon remains and attacks him again, ignoring the other pitiful creatures. The other facing Ralph, moves towards jon, its eyes facing ralph but obviously wanting the easier target.

Attack on Jon 1
melee touch* [roll2]
[roll3]

Attack on Jon 2
melee touch* [roll4]
[roll5]

Map

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-6EaIxrhIflA/UKyUnva70zI/AAAAAAAACI0/1RlJuta1fvU/s800/Shaodwsround2.jpg

GuyFawkes
2012-11-21, 04:26 AM
Lucien

With his blow ineffective as they are, and with Jon receiving concentrated attacks from both enemies, he tries to do something else.

Without much effort, he produces a copy of himself, positioning it beside Jon, and the copy immediately moved towards the other shadow without guard, baiting the other one to take a strike at it.

Phantom Assailant to create copy at D13.
Copy moves to E12 to provoke AoO.
Immediate Action Arcane Surprise as it is hit, denying all enemies within 10 ft of Dex to AC.

BelGareth
2012-11-21, 04:37 AM
Lucien creates a copy of himself with little effort, which materializes on the other side of the shadow, it moves, both shadows prompty ignore it.

It only moved 5ft, needs to move more than 5ft, from an already threatened square into another square of the same creature. Like D14 to F11.

Golden Ladybug
2012-11-21, 05:43 AM
Grunting as the shade's hand tore through her, ripping out vitality and strength as it passed, Saffron stumbled to the side, letting the now too heavy pack slip from her shoulders.

Flicking her right wrist, she triggers the other sheathe, catching the wand dexterously.

"Maybe a little bit, but you know me; can't let you have all the glory"

Silently praying that, this time, she could get a wand to work the way it should, she pressed the magic item into the wispy body of the shadow and focused her will on it.

Free: Drop Backpack; don't want to get stuck on a Medium+ Load, if I can help it.
5ft Step up to C15, so that if I break this wand, I can at least try a Flank!Pistol Whip and Bite (with my unparalleled strength score)
Standard: Try to use this wand of CLW, and not roll horribly

[roll0]
Heals/Damage [roll1] (DC11 Will for half)

...every goshdarn time :smallfurious:

Fireheart
2012-11-21, 09:04 AM
My...these things are quite persistant.
Ma says stepping forward as she again swings her quarterstaff at the one closest to her.

5ft to f11 if the copy isn't there otherwise, move to G12 going around Lucien(?)

swift action:

[roll0]
[roll1]

Miss chance
[roll1d100] - oops will reroll in OOC

(arcane pool remaining 4/7, hp 48/48)

Iron Victory
2012-11-21, 09:24 AM
Jon crumples to the floor, his enervated frame no longer able to support the steel plates encasing him.

I'm at 1 Strength, it was fun playing Jon while it lasted....

SlyJohnny
2012-11-22, 10:46 AM
Slade thrusts his hand through one shadow, burning it with his touch. When Jon collapses, he yells in alarm.

"Hey! Dead thing! You won't take his life! You're going to sit down in this basement and be hungry and cold until the world turns to DUST! You hear me??"

He breaks contact with the shade he's fighting and rushes over to Jon, intending to distract the creature.

Sorry I missed the last round. Action that round: [roll0] melee touch attack, [roll1] positive energy damage if hit.

Action this round: Using Withdraw to advance over Jon's square and taunt the shadow.

SamBurke
2012-11-24, 12:44 AM
*Don't mind me, posting for Subscription*

BelGareth
2012-11-28, 02:16 PM
Slade -
Slades reaches out and misses the shadow with his fist bright full of energy, then moves over Jon, warding him from further attacks.

Saffron -
You manage to utilize the wand, just after you drop you sack from the lack of strength, it fizzles however and barely manages to damage the shadow before you.

Ma -
You step up and strike again, damaging the creature you hear it howl out in agony.

Lucien -
You manifest a double of yourself, moving it, failing to stir a reaction from it.

Ralph -
Failed to act

Jon -
You fall to the floor in a lump of strengthless flesh.

Shadows -
The one attacks Ma having received most of its wounds from her, the other seeks out Saffron.

Attack on Ma
melee touch* [roll0]
damage [roll1]
[roll3]

Attack on Saffron
melee touch* [roll2]
damage [roll3]
[roll5]

Map

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Gp6j2nh4_3Q/ULZh8xtZnhI/AAAAAAAACJk/MMfw6o11s0k/s800/Shaodwsround3.jpg

SlyJohnny
2012-11-28, 02:40 PM
Slade grabs Jon's pauldrons and slings him over his back with a grunt of effort. There's a clang of metal on metal as Jon's armor meets his own. He keeps a wary eye on the shadow as he does so, prepared to lunge out of the way should be attacked again. He takes a step back.

Full defense as a Standard Action, picking up Jon, taking step back to F14.

Fireheart
2012-11-28, 03:08 PM
Ma shruggs off the creatures attack with effort. Get him out of here! she shouts as she continues to try to draw the creatures attacks.

swift action:

[roll0]
[roll1]

Miss chance
[roll2]

(arcane pool remaining 3/7, hp 47/48, Str 13)

Sparrow
2012-11-28, 03:40 PM
Seeing his rapier fail, Ralph quickly sheathes it. He flicks his wrist to disperse the magic dagger from its sheath on his wrist. He then moves to attack one of the shadows.

Move Action: Sheath Rapier
Swift Action: Spring-Loaded Wrist Sheath: +2 Dagger
5 Foot Step to G12
Attack w/ Short Sword: [roll0]
Rolls do not assume any bonuses.

GuyFawkes
2012-11-28, 10:49 PM
Lucien

Cursing under his breath, Lucien returns to attacking the shade before him.

"Just drop dead!"

Attack 2: [roll2]

Golden Ladybug
2012-11-30, 05:04 AM
Hissing profanities at the monster, Saffron collapsed in a heap, the Mithral Chain Shirt dragging her down, and the weight of her rifle and shield keeping her there.

The shadow's touch had ripped her strength away, and she felt herself flagging fast. There was no way she could survive another hit.

It would be so easy to just lay down and die... it had simply ignored her shots, and every effort she'd made otherwise had simply been in vain; her wands had failed, and hadn't been effective. She'd failed...

A Mighty Roar, Building
The Gnashing of Teeth all around
Anger, Intense Anger
The Clash of Metal on Metal
Bone on Bone
A hand on Her Shoulder
Remembered and Feared
Hot Breath on Her Neck
A Growling in a Familiar's Throat
"No Child of Mine"
She Hears in That Hated Voice
"QUITS SO EASY!"

With a roar, Saffron's eyes shot open, and with all the fury in her being, all the hate she could muster, and all the strength of her father and the tribe she'd done everything she could to leave behind, she pressed the wand into the wispy tendrils of the shadow, and willed it to life.

And watched in triumph as the wand burst into brilliant light.

I know I can't move, being over Heavy Encumberance, but I think its not too unlikely that Saffron landed in such a way that she could twitch her Wand into contact with the Shadow.

I'd be hella embarrassed if this doesn't work though :smallbiggrin:

[roll0] +2 Circumstance (DC20)
[roll1]

...I...and after all that hot blooded determination too :smallfrown:

EDIT: Love ya, Bel :smallcool:

BelGareth
2012-12-03, 02:40 AM
Slade -
You stand over your fallen friend, managing to pick him up but nothing else. (picking up a person in the middle of combat is a full round action at best.)

Saffron -
You somehow, through fate or sheer force of will to key the wand to activate while pointing it right at the creature, white light envelopes the shadow and it hisses at you with blood red eyes.

Ma -
You strike the undead spectre before you once again, taking yet more of the creature.

Lucien -
Both attacks hit, taking even more of the thing.

Ralph -
You strike true, dissipating yet more of the thing.

Jon -
You feel a guarding presence over your weak body, someone, or something is standing over you. Whether it is the shadow come to drink deep of your soul or someone guarding you, you cannot tell.

Shadows -
The one in the corner seems to have sense and feeling its very essence on the verge of disappearing altogether slides down into the floor. The other seems oblivious to the tactical retreat of its kin and continues on its hungry crusade.

Attack on Ma
melee touch* [roll0]
damage [roll1]

Map

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-OJO7sh5H1v8/ULxXMAlY4LI/AAAAAAAACKU/1rdRMjFxAxU/s800/Shaodwsround4.jpg

GuyFawkes
2012-12-03, 03:39 AM
Lucien

With one of the Shadows retreating, Lucien feels an uplifting surge of emotion within him. Switching to the other Shadow, he shouted out before bringing down his blades.

"Hey, concentrate on bringing this one down!"

5ft step to F13.

Miss Chance: [roll2]

Attack 2: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4]
Miss Chance: [roll5]

Sparrow
2012-12-03, 06:02 AM
"You are done, monster. Leave now!" Ralph yelled, slashing at the shadow with all his might, swinging both the dagger and short sword unto the creature.

Attack w/ Shortsword: [roll0] Not including flanking bonus
Damage:[roll1]
Miss Chance:[roll2]

Attack w/ Dagger: [roll3]
Damage:[roll4]
Miss Chance:[roll5]

If I remember correctly, with two weapon fighting and two light weapons, I only have a -2 penalty to both attack rolls.

BelGareth
2012-12-04, 02:37 AM
As Lucien and Ralph tear into the last shadow, and the rest of you fight to stand, or protect your friends, the air in the damp cellar suddenly grows intensely cold, and the smell of fudge permeates the air.

With a blinding flash, which could have rivaled the very sun, if it where shining through the sphere over the city, Alyera appears, staunch and stoic as ever, her hands shining bright white light as she moves to the shadow, reaching for it.

The shadow somehow seeing it's own doom, seems to panick, its eyes bright and red, dim slightly, turning a rotten yellow in protest to the imminent end.

Alyera grasps the incorporeal creature and divests brilliant white energy into, sucking its negative life force from the very air and sending the wisps of its soul onto the afterlife.

You have several vision spots, but you can clearly see her turn to you all

"Well, it's about time, I've been waiting longer than you think!"

GuyFawkes
2012-12-04, 07:24 AM
Lucien

Lucien readies himself for another barrage of sword swings on the shadow when the room flashes with blinding light. The half-elf covers his eyes and blinks a few times to confirm what he is seeing.

There she stands, with her usual air of confidence.

"Alyera!" he exclaims as he relaxes his guard. "Man, am I glad to see you."

Then he remembers Jon and Saffron.

"Oh, quick. Help these two! There's something wrong with them. I don't think it's normal wounds, though."

Fireheart
2012-12-04, 09:10 AM
Ma shields her eyes from the brightness that is Alyera.

But as the last shadow dissappears, she leans heavily on her staff.

"It is good to see you, Alyera." She says. "I'm glad you caught up with us. Your healing would be quite welcome."

Ma suddenly looks a bit older and weaker than she did when you started down the stairs. She looks over at Jon, "Does he live?"

OOC: Ma's Str is at 11/14

BelGareth
2012-12-15, 04:39 AM
Alyera looks to the fallen man and the others and smirks,

Of course, they need help!

She moves to Jon, laying her hands on the mans chest while muttering under her breath, an obvious plea/prayer on her lips to her deity to grant him his strength back. After a bright surge of light and a visible wash of white energy washing over everyone, he starts to murmur, his strength coming back to him.

She casts lesser restoration on him several times.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Turning to the others she sighs, apparently ignoring the others who are wounded, or perhaps not knowing they were.

"Oh where are my manners," she says turning to the others, who hadn't met her yet, "My name is Alerya, a companion of this lot before they met you." she finishes with a charming smile, she opens her mouth again but is cut off before she could formulate a word.

A sudden flash of energy pushes everyone off their feet and onto the dirt floor with Jon, a multicolored wave of energy pushes through the cellar wall, dancing like fire and slowly approaches you all, as it passes you can see it distorts all beyond it like the invisible heat of a flame.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-BMe_eRNMzsw/UMxFPJVeTXI/AAAAAAAACSI/utEA0_2RDGA/s640/the_energy_wave-1920x1080.jpg

It slowly moves forward and you try to move, but it's as if your limbs are solid lead, moving is not an option, and you watch as this wave of unknown energy moves towards you in a slow but inevitable fashion.

Time seems to slow down, and you suddenly hear your heart beating,

Badoom

You look to the others and see faces of terror and confusion written upon them.

Badoom

Your hands slowly move, all strength drained from you.

Badoom

And the wave meets you, engulfing you in its kaleidoscopic embrace, washing over your body.

Badoom

And then.....

Nothing.

The wave disappeared, and you find yourself still lying on the floor of the cellar, Alerya has gone and so to has the mysterious wave of energy. It would seem it was benign or maybe a figment of your imagination?

Spot check

DC 18
You notice the corpse in the corner is no longer there.

DC 25 or >
The caskets and general appearance of the cellar seem like new.

GuyFawkes
2012-12-17, 07:59 AM
Lucien

"Thanks, Alye..."

Lucien stops mid-sentence and blinks. He tries to stand up and look around. He blinks again and looks at his wounds and that of his comrades'. There is no mistake, they are now gone. But, how? He was sure it was Alyera, but where is she?

"What...what happened?"

Fireheart
2012-12-17, 09:57 AM
Ma slowly shakes her head and rises to a sitting position.

"Woah. That was..."
[roll0] Perception She looks bleary-eyed around the room and stands up.

"That was bright. Is everyone okay? Where did Alyera go?"

Sparrow
2012-12-17, 03:08 PM
The bright light did not help with Ralph's mental status, but it didn't particularly hurt it either. When the event had come to an end, Ralph popped his neck. "I don't..I don't understand. She was.. she was right there. And now.. now she isn't. But, you all, you all look much better now."

Iron Victory
2012-12-20, 10:40 PM
Finding new strength were before there was weakness, Jon rises. He didn't like to look the fool.

"Who was that?!?" the warrior inquires sharply, whistling to call his hounds.

Sparrow
2012-12-20, 11:36 PM
"That was.." Ralph paused, he knew the name. It was on the tip of his tongue, "That was Alyera. She had other matters to attend to... So we parted ways temporarily." Ralph recalled. Thinking of her, and how she left brought up Annalyn in his mind. How she was there one second, and gone the next, nothing could be done. He didn't like it, but he had to endure. His emotional state was already starting to crumble. "Guys, that was Alyera right? I saw her, right?"

GuyFawkes
2012-12-22, 12:10 PM
Lucien

Lucien shrugs.

"Either that, or we all had the same dream. Or hallucination. Or whatever it was."

He shakes his head to clear his thoughts. Save the mystery solving for later. He remembers they were fighting off shadows earlier, and looking around, he sees there are none to be found. He then looks at his comrades, who he was sure were hurt. They look to be fine, but he asks nonetheless.

"Everyone fine? You two okay?" He asks Jon and Saffron.

Iron Victory
2012-12-24, 03:26 AM
"I'm fine, boy." snarls Jon. He readies his weapon and searches the room.

Perception: [roll0]

Fireheart
2012-12-24, 08:25 AM
Ma shrugs. No worse than before. Though I am a bit tired.

Golden Ladybug
2012-12-26, 06:52 AM
Saffron groaned in pain, still unable to move from the spot near the corner where she had fallen. After the Halfling had appeared and healed Jon, she'd seemed not to notice the fallen Half-Orc before she had disappeared.

"Well, I don't think I can say that I'm "fine" with a straight face" She muttered from the ground, a touch of annoyance in her voice, "But I think I'll live"

Briefly, she tried to move herself into an upright position, to no avail. Her struggles, however, alerted her to the bands of bronze that had appeared around her wrists...

BelGareth
2012-12-28, 05:24 AM
As you all recover from the...whatever just happened, you all suddenly hear something upstairs. A loud *thunk*, Jon's dogs perk up suddenly and start to pant, they don't seem to be on edge at all, quite the opposite, they seem relaxed...

Another *thunk* and then a small squeak and the muffled sound of a large group of people talking.

It seems to be coming from above, from inside the building.

Sparrow
2012-12-28, 12:18 PM
"Keep it down guys. There is someone above us. Hold on" Ralph says in a hushed voice as he tries to listen in on what is being said above
[roll0]
Probably won't do much, but I can sure try.

Fireheart
2012-12-29, 09:36 AM
Ma begins to edge toward the stairs, her staff held ready in her hands.

Perception check.
[roll0]

Golden Ladybug
2012-12-30, 01:53 AM
With a groan of effort, Saffron moved her limbs across her body, to where her Rifle still hung by its strap. Pulling a bullet from a pocket, along with a pinch of black powder, she reloaded the weapon and angled it towards the door, trying to prop the weapon against her shoulder.

"Anyone feel like going to check who that is?" She whispered, teeth bared with pain. In her weakened state, simply reloading had been a herculean effort of will. Her whole body ached to rest, to heal...

Sparrow
2012-12-30, 12:36 PM
"I'll do it," Ralph said, continuing his hushed voice. "I'm probably one of the stealthiest here, and if I'm caught, the most likely to escape." He wasn't in the best shape, slightly weakened by one of the shades, but he was in a lot better shape than some of the others.

GuyFawkes
2013-01-02, 05:14 AM
Lucien

Lucien nods at Ralph's suggestion. He draws his swords and moves towards the stairs, taking a spot opposite Ma.

"Be careful. Don't go too far."

Sparrow
2013-01-03, 11:54 AM
"Okay, I'm going to go up, if you hear me yell, it most like means that they found me. Don't worry about that, only come if you hear them torturing me." Ralph continued in a hushed voice.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but the door to this cellar was outside. These people are inside. Which means, I have to sneak outside, stay under the windows and what not, then sneak into the house which for all I know only has the one door?

BelGareth
2013-01-08, 12:39 AM
Ralph breathes deep as he finds the base of the stairs looking up to where the sounds were coming from.

Moving through after gaining enough courage to do so, he ascends the stairs one at a time, slowly and steady, careful not to place his foot on any creaky old wooden plank giving away his position.

He makes it to the top, staying in the shadow of the cellar door that was cast by the bright sun outside.

The noise from here was immense, it was as if several hundred people were talking all at once. And what was that...a cart? you swear you heard a cart rolling past with the accompanying sound of cattle pulling it, too curious to see what was outside, for this was not the city you left when you entered the cellar, Ralph peeks outside and almost chokes at what he sees.

It is a bright day and the street is alive with the hustle and bustle of the living breathing city, vendors call to passers by trying to sell their wares as cattle drawn carts trundle along to the market areas to set up shops. Several men stand near the door to the building of the cellar holding steins and smoking long exotic pipes, their sickly sweet smoke lazily being carried by the pleasant summer breeze.

Sparrow
2013-01-08, 12:46 AM
As Ralph peers out the cellar door, he nearly stumbles down the stairs, but catches himself just in time. He slowly closes the door and retreats back down the stairs. He returns to the group and stares at them blankly for a moment.

Still not sure what he just saw, Ralph says to the others, "I.. um.. I don't even know.. You guys need to look for yourselves." Ralph sits on the bottom stair, clutching his head. He was so confused, his headache worsened as he sat, his pupils dilating to the images in his mind, he closed his eyes, and tried to relax.

Fireheart
2013-01-08, 12:02 PM
Ma lays a comforting hand on his shoulder and glances up the stairs. "I'll go." She says.

She carefully steps her way about the stairs, trying not to make sound, using her staff to guide her.

Sparrow
2013-01-08, 03:45 PM
Something dawns on Ralph as he closes his eyes. Something he somehow missed, maybe it was the confusion. He opened his eyes and jumped to his feet. "Ma, no, come back down here." He said, confused and angry at himself at the same time.

Golden Ladybug
2013-01-09, 06:01 AM
"Uh, you okay there, buddy?" Saffron asked the confused and upset looking Ralph, concern battling fatigue on her face.

Propping herself up against the wall, and letting her rifle sag to the ground, the Half-Orc looked around the room at the others. Slade and Jon looked ready to react to any sign of danger, but the two of them didn't look too pleased with the situation.

She looked back to the confused and upset looking Ralph, and wondered whether he'd always been like that, or whether his mental state had been brought on by all that had happened the past few days. She sighed, sad at the sight.

"Well, I can't really go up to check myself; maybe you could tell us what you saw?" She asked, trying to smile encouragingly (an act sabotaged by her razor sharp fangs)

Sparrow
2013-01-09, 06:25 AM
Hold on, let me find my glasses.. Okay

"At first, when I opened the door I was relieved. The streets were bustling with people going about normal life. For that moment, I thought it was over. But now.. I don't know. When I went to close the door, I got caught up in the excitement." Ralph paused to take a breath and rub his eyes. "But when I thought about it just now, I realized something. My hands passed through the doors. I.. I think it was a trick. We just, we just need to be prepared."

GuyFawkes
2013-01-09, 09:47 AM
Lucien

"What?"

Lucien is all confused with Ralph, but before he could ask more questions, his impulse was to go after Ma. He has his weapons beside him and hurriedly goes up after Ma up the stairs.

Fireheart
2013-01-11, 09:58 AM
Ma hesitates at the stairs but doesn't go all the way back down. Listening to Ralph, she frowns but then still heads to open the door.

SamBurke
2013-01-11, 12:33 PM
Return, Part 1:
Misdirected

Bustle, bustle, bustle. Running past without a clue, without any knowledge. Alyera stands in the middle of a crowd, no bigger than a child, but wiser than all the old, bearded, wizards and lords who walk past.

"Hey, 'Yera!" A concubine says, strutting past her.

"Vair, what I'm going to say sounds a little crazy, but you've got to listen to me!"

"Oh, don't tell me, Yera!" Vair says, throwing her blonde, painfully styled hair back. "This better not be about that kid Ralph..."

"WHAT? No..." Alyera shakes her head violently for a minute. "I mean, he's nice, and all, but..."

"Ohhh! So you finally DID meet him? Getting out from under the master, like a good courtesan!" Vair winks at a shopkeeper as she walks by, and grins in pleasure to hear his audible reaction.

"That's not it at all, Vair... you can be so painful sometimes. Let me put it this way: do you trust me?"

Her fellow concubine just laughed lightly, a frolicking laugh she'd spent weeks perfecting. "I suppose, yes."

"No! This is serious. You know how honest I am when I'm serious, and I'm trying to ask you to believe me."

Vair stopped walking, and stared down at the halfling. "This IS serious... Alyera, are you in trouble? Do you need me to get you hidden or something?"

"Yet again, Vair, you are wrong. I'M the one who's trying to help you! See, in a couple of days, I'm going to be meeting Ralph and a few other people, but that's because..."

"Oooooh! You're meeting with this Ralph boy? Isn't he a little young?"

Alyera pulled back her hand, and slapped with full force. LISTEN TO ME! This isn't a joke! I am from your future, and in three days, the world is going to stop. I can't do this charade, and I'll stop pretending thi..." She turned, and a flash of memory. Just four days ago for This Alyera, she was running ot the market, to meet a very, very, confused Vair for shopping. "Crap, crap, and by all the dead mages, death!" she cursed under her breath.

"Look. I have all of thirty seconds, then I'm going to disappear. You're going to see me again in 10 seconds, but after that, you cannot mention what I'm about to say to me then. Do you understand that?"

There was an argument from three stalls down, between a smallish hobbit woman and a bartender.

Vair nodded, and followed Alyera's gaze to the argument. "Yera... that's... YOU!" She turned again, but the poor girl was already on her way out. The air crackled and popped, waves of raw arcana sparking in every color, roasting the round and burning skin.

"Tell everyone to get to a safe place! Barricade our lord's house on the morning of the third day! Get guards! Get food!"

The concubine just stared, first at the one halfling, walking the streets with confidence, to the other: a broken, shattered, girl disappearing in powerful enchantment. Which was real?

SamBurke
2013-01-11, 01:07 PM
Return, Part 2:
Reunited

"NO! NO! NO!" Alyera beat the side of the empty cart, and tried to stand. "Why, why, why did I have to go at that exact moment?" She thought back to four -no, five?- days ago, at that market. Vair had seemed so odd, like there was something she simply had to ask, but never did. Alyera hadn't gone back to the house that night, as she'd fallen from favor with Lord Parnelion, in a dire way. She'd stayed over at Ma's house for a few days... so maybe, just maybe, Vair had heeded the warning, and they were all alive. As long as I have that hope, I'm going to hold onto it. They ARE alive. Vair did as I said, and saved all of them...
You and I both know that's not true. Vair would never listen to a thing you said, especially after she'd gained so much favor. She probably thought you were trying to get back at her for Parnelion liking you so much.
Alyera glanced at the buildings around her. The first time she'd come, it was her intended destination, but... there was something wrong, and she'd faded out for the first time. The burns on her skin were still there, long after she'd soothed the pain in golden weave.

Judging by the sun, it was a few hours prior to the first time she'd showed up, but a few hours after she'd met with Vair. At least that gave some sort of reference point. She had just enough time to find the house where her friends were. If she hurried, she might even be there before they went in, and fought... whatever it was on the ground, there.

Alyera began to run.

It was a large building, with a deep cellar... probably either the warehouse district or a merchant's house. Judging by the size of the house, and quality of the cedar beams, she'd guess it was someone wealthy. Remember it! Remember! There were crates and bales in a corner, somewhere... what were they?

Someone rich... holding lots of cargo. Near the river, to be sure. Alyera spun and dove through an alleyway. You know, you wouldn't have any way to get through these streets if you hadn't been taken as a slave so long ago. It's almost a blessing to be taken as a child, if you think about it.
He's out there. Alone, dying... dead.
A twist on the halfling's heart stopped her cold, breathless, and she slid against a wall, memories exploding through her head vibrantly, and she could hear the sounds of her father's kidnapping again and again. She could have stopped them. There had to be something there...
NO. NOT THE PAST.
That voice again... she thought she'd lost it the past day or so, lost its comforting power, its grandiose vibration inside her head, shaking her entire body.

Besides that, she could remember now. There was a bale of cotton-wrapped sunrods, cushioned. Besides that were pick heads, short handles, and a barrel of wet gunpowder. Some sort of mining storehouse... The Bartles. Of course. They actually mined beneath the river, and they weren't too far at all.

Gradually, breathing deeply, Alyera kicked herself into a run, with her head down. She pushed through the crowd, sliding over and under, climbing and ducking like she used to do. She WOULD find them, and they WOULD be safe.

At long, long, last, after times that seemed like hours and hours that seemed like seconds, with her body moving first like a rock snail, and then like a diving falcon, she stumbled in front of the home of the Bartle Family, and their mining syndicate. Time still felt weird, and the twisting had started again.

"Those posts... are straight, right?" Alyera asked to no one in particular. She had 7... no, 10 fingers now. Walking around the building, she found the massive loading doors for the warehouse and operation itself. It was dark... too dark for the actual mine. Perhaps there's a secondary store-room, on the other side by the street?

Checking around, she finally, finally, found it, staring at the door. If she'd come too early, there would be murderous ghosts inside. If she'd come too late, there would be bodies. Bodies of all her friends: Ralph, and Lucien, and Ma, and Saffron, and even that fellow Jon, and his dogs.

She choked on a breath, and then shook it away. She would do this, for them. No matter what their fate, they deserved that.

Alyera opened the door.

Sparrow
2013-01-13, 10:07 PM
When Alyera opened the door at the top of the stairs, Ralph looked up with a gleam of hope in his eyes. At first, he thought it was an illusion, but quickly changed his mind, probably a foolish move, but he was excited.

"Alyera! Thank god you're here, I.. I could of swore we were trapped." Ralph said standing up on the staircase." He climbed the stairs and hugged the girl. He released her and settled down. He said in a hushed tone, but enough for someone who was listening to hear, "This, this just isn't a good time for my friends to disappear on me."

SamBurke
2013-01-14, 09:46 AM
Alyera nods. "I'm sorry for yesterday... well, actually, I have no idea when it was for you. Look: we're three days in the past right now. Don't ask me exactly how, or why, but we've got some time. Honestly, this is the biggest blessing we could possibly ask for." She pauses, looking over the group in the basement. "You all need someplace to rest and recuperate. Allow me to help." Alyera moves from wound to wound, weaving golden bandages, and applying each one in turn.

She seems to know everyone, though, and a lot to boot. She pets each of Jon's dogs by name, and carefully handles Saffron's rifle. Then, at long last, she's done.

"I think we should all discuss what to do. We have now three days until the spell misfires and negative energy destroys the city. During that time, we could set up a resistance, we could lay aside stockpiles, find a place to hunker down and prepare, things like that."
Now tell them what YOU want to do.
Here goes... "The other thing I think we should do is investigate the mages. Oakenshield won't know about us yet, but I could wow him with some psychic knowledge of what his quarters look like, see if that helps. From there, we can interview the mages on what spell they're going to cast. Seems like the best way to get information while we can. Don't know how long we'll stay here, or what time it'll take to get everything done. If this place is safe, we can stay and talk for a while."

Burning my uses of Positive energy and Lay on Hands until everyone is healed. I'm unaware of how badly damaged people are, but I figure I have enough to get things done. Plus, now that we're in the past... I won't need them quite so heavily.

Fireheart
2013-01-14, 10:05 AM
Ma listens carefully as Alyera explains.

"In the past? That golden light that covered everyone? That sent us backwards, didn't it? Did you do that? How do you know what day it is?" Her eyes gleam quickly. "Annalyn! Where's Annalyn?"

Ma suddenly realizes she's rambling and takes a deep breath. I don't know much about this place, but home should be fine.

She frowns...wait...Can we run into ourselves?

OOC: I know Annalyn's gone. But the character doesn't! :)

SamBurke
2013-01-14, 10:45 AM
"Running into ourselves is when stuff gets fun. I did it, twice, I think. If my timing was what I thought, I was right outside this building when I showed up the first time. So, that was the first me. The second me, the one who's talking to you, was about to cause some sort of error. So, the magic took me back. Happened again when I nearly ran into the PAST me in the marketplace. Does that... make sense?"

Sparrow
2013-01-14, 10:53 AM
"Timeline fun, just what we need now." Ralph said, staring at the ground. "So, if we run into our past selves, we get taken back to the present to avoid any of those dreaded rifts in time and space?"
God, why did it have to be time shenanigans, I got one friend who is making me read Homestuck, isn't that enough time shenanigans for one person?

GuyFawkes
2013-01-14, 10:56 AM
Lucien

At the mention of Alyera's name, Lucien's eyebrow raises and he immediately goes up the stairs. Perhaps his eyes was playing tricks on him as well, but when he gets close, he is sure it is real. It was really Alyera. For once, a smile creeps up his face.

"Good to have you back."

When the halfling begins talking about them being thrown back three days earlier though, the same eyebrow raised again. It is all complicated, ludicrous. Is such thing even possible? But then he had heard about mages out there with enough power to toy with time, and he had grown to trust Alyera to believe her words. Still, it is just all to much to take in.

"Wait, you lost me at 'We're three days in the past right now'," is all he could come up with.

Sparrow
2013-01-14, 11:38 AM
Ralph nodded. "Yeah, Lucien, that got me at first too. But, then I remembered, we just went through a zombie apocalypse." He said, barely managing up anything better than a frown. "Does anything surprise you now?"

SamBurke
2013-01-14, 11:57 AM
"It's not exactly "through", Ralph..." Alyera says. "So, best as I can tell, for me at least, we're three days before the apocalypse hits. That means that we have time to prepare. I do have one weird question: did anyone stumble upon any unusual aid or help? A box of supplies where it didn't make sense? Because at this point, we also need to make sure time works out exactly, otherwise, we could be catapulted to who knows where. We could be separated, both by time and space..." She shudders, and helps Saffron to her feet. "I think we should organize a meeting place, should anything go wrong, and we get flung through the past: how about the house of Lord Parnelion? If any of us get separated, go there, and regroup. If we're forced out like we were from Ralph's house, we leave a note on the door."

Sooooo. Bel. I probably should have asked: is this strict-timeline time travel, where everything happens only one way, and what you do affects that...

Or is this a wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey ball? Cause I prefer strict timeline, as it prevents a lot of paradoxes, but it could be weird.

Also, guys, I think we maaaaaaay have to split up. How many people know Sending?

Golden Ladybug
2013-01-14, 11:20 PM
As the Halfling bustles about the basement, trying to explain things that barely made sense, and talking to the three of them like they were old friends.

They'd never met this girl, not really. An apparition that looked like her appeared in front of them, and healed Jon, and then disappeared just as quickly. Gritting her teeth together, Saffron let the girl talk. The others seemed pleased to see her again, and she had wasted no time before going to heal them.

She didn't trust her, but she wasn't going to distrust her. At least for now.

"Well, if you're going to retrace your steps and stash supplies in the places you've been staying," Saffron spoke up, "then Jon, Slade and I are going to be pretty useless. But we stayed in a few places that had more supplies than you'd expect; lots of food, clean clothing, bandages and other medical supplies. We thought it was a coincidence, but maybe not..."

The Half-Orc looks pensively at the ceiling for a moment, considering the implications of being able to rig their own future. Or maybe it was their past?

But the important thing was...

"Why don't we warn people? Get everyone out of the City? Who cares if we get sent to some other future, it can't be worse than what we just lived through!" She declared angrily, pulling away from the Halfling and bracing herself on one of the walls.

"People died, and died horribly. But maybe we can stop that" The Half-Orc said, panting from the exertion of moving so quickly. The Shade's touch had left her very weak...

Yeah, I know, the Rules of Time Travel (Linear and Timey-Wimey both) are probably going to make this impossible, but someone had to suggest it, and since Saffron has a few people in the City who she would rather not get turned into/eaten by Zombies, she has some amount of investment there. Feel free to point out IC why this is a plan doomed to failure.

Also, about her attitude to Alyera; she has literally seen her once before, when she NPC'd in to Lesser Restoration Jon. And then disappeared. She doesn't know what to think about her coming in and being friendly.

I can see that a split-the-party situation might be in order. Since Iron Victory and SlyJohnny haven't been posting for a while, perhaps their characters can go off to set up the supplies we encountered in our off-screen struggle for survival against Zombies?

Also, I'm totally down with having Annalyn show up, however briefly and inconsequentially. She also hasn't met any of you guys yet, which could be awkward and hilarious :smallbiggrin:

Sparrow
2013-01-14, 11:48 PM
Ralph shook his head.. "I.. I don't know much about timelines, but I'm pretty sure warning people of an apocalypse would set off a few flags with past us.. Who knows what might happen. For all we know, it could tear apart our existence, everyone's existence." Ralph added to the conversation. "I don't like it, but it's the truth. Besides, who would believe us?"

GuyFawkes
2013-01-15, 05:19 AM
Lucien

Lucien still has that confused look on his face, but while he was struggling still to digest it all, he tried to do as Alyera said, remembering where things were out of place, where they got what they needed at the exact time they needed it. However, he could not focus. The notion of having turned back time meant only one thing for him: he now has a chance to warn his father.

"Wait. I'm gonna have to go past the confusion and pretend that all of this is true. So, is this the time shenanigans where we could possibly run in with our past selves and screw up everything? Or is this a different sort?"

SamBurke
2013-01-15, 11:25 AM
"I don't know everything... in fact, I don't know much at all. But, from what I've seen, this is what my father fondly referred to as a "Fixed Timeline." Also, from what I understand, we'll be OK as long as we don't cause any visible paradoxes. So, two of me currently exist inside this city. But as long as no one can see... I think we're OK.

"What that also means is that we MIGHT be able to save people. If you know they didn't take any actions, then... it would appear hopeless: them taking actions NOW would mean they'd completely wrecked the timeline. But, if it's possible that they could take those preventative actions.. well, then, we might be able to help them."

Just so everyone knows, I don't actually know if any of this is correct. Bel hasn't shown up to say I'm wrong, though!

I +1 the idea of sending off the two inactives to get supplies. They can meet up with us elsewhere.

Other ideas:

1. Set up a cache of supplies
2. Set up a fort
3. Investigate what spell is about to be cast, and where, and why.
4. Gather supplies whilst it's easy.

RANDOM NOTE:
I guess we can still get roleplaying XP, but it looks like that may be it from a meta angle until our 3 days are up. Unless we happen to run into river pirates or something.

Golden Ladybug
2013-01-16, 02:20 AM
"So, as long as we don't know that someone didn't make plans for being outside the city when the manure hit the wall, there's still a chance we could save them, right?" Saffron asked hopefully, her eyes glinting with tears.

She'd been sure that the Orphanage had been overrun; she'd seen the empty buildings before she'd met up with Jon and Slade. But if they'd been empty because she'd warned them and they'd left the city before it happened...

I'm not too broken up about no combat for a while, especially since we've got all these goals to accomplish. Perhaps, if Saffron succeeds in clearing out the Orphanage she's trying to save, we can use that as a safe house/fort (so long as we're not using it on the first day of the Zombie Apocalypse, since that'd be when Saffron runs past it).

Saffron has around 200gp on her, and I'm happy to throw that towards buying a whole lotta supplies to stock up for the (seemingly) inevitable appearance of all these Zombies. Send that along with the Inactives?

I think prioritising checking out the Mage's Tower is key. I still think its worth having a good long look at it, which is what Annalyn tried to do way back when there weren't any zombies around. Oakenshield showed Annalyn the top of the tower, which is where the Mage's had managed to off themselves with knowledge man was not meant to know, so perhaps if we can delay them we can have some powerful allies to help us against A) The Cleric of Orcus, B) Lich Oakenshield and C) Hordes of Zombies.

Heck, if we can get them to not cast the spell at all, somehow (they're wizards, they're probably up for listening to Time Travellers), then maybe we can avert this disaster. If we act under the assumption that we can't change anything, then we certainly aren't going to be able to, are we?

SamBurke
2013-01-16, 12:11 PM
Alyera nods. "If it looked like it was evacuated, then.. maybe it was. Let's send those two to get supplies and plant them for the future. Then we'll all meet at that orphanage, if it's strong enough. Which... I suppose we should ask: how strong are the walls?"

I don't precisely know whether we can stop things, but we can try. Who's got the most K: Arcana? Ma? Lucien?

CURRENT ROSTER:

Ma
Lucien
Ralph
Saffron
Alyera
Jon

Someone else I'm missing, here.

It looks like we may have three teams:

Saffron/Alyera

Jon/???

Ma/Lucien/Ralph

who can be switched up whenever. Jon and ??? can go do plot-critical boring stuff, Saffron/Yera might go in for setting up a fort (maybe with Ralph to help, or Lucien.), and then the highest Knowledge'd people can get all up in some wizardy bizness. How does that sound?

Fireheart
2013-01-17, 10:28 AM
Ma nods. "Okay. I'm still somewhat lost but that sounds like a plan. I am still mostly out of spells though. Until a night of rest, I'm only going to be somewhat good with my staff. If we stay away from the store, I shouldn't run into myself."

Ma pauses. "Atleast, I think I spent most of the time right before the spell, at the store. Should the rest of us split up or stay together?"

Woah. I'm tired.

OOC: Ma's is a +13 for K(A)...though my sheet is showing +16 - I think there is glitch in the math (last I checked 5+5+3=13 not 16.

I figure ma's been in the city enough to know where the orphanage is...particularly given her propensity to pick up strays. :)

Golden Ladybug
2013-01-18, 06:55 AM
Before Alyera made her comment, Saffron explained the situation with the Orphanage and her worries about the safety of the staff and other residents in such a way that made everything logically consistent. Unless Alyera is a mind-reader (which, considering she's also a time-travelling, holy Halfling, is totally possible)

"The walls are stone, and about eight feet tall. They're in... decent shape," Saffron replied to the Halfling, having brushed away her tears with one arm, "They certainly aren't impregnable. There are a few places you can get in and out without much trouble, if you're dexterous enough"

The Half-Orc grinned, and tried to regain her balance on her unsteady, weakened feet and removing her hand from the wall "I know that from personal experience. But the locks are solid, and there's plenty of room inside."

BTW, The ??? is Slade, SlyJohnny's character. He's a Half-Orc Oracle who moonlights as a Bartender.

SamBurke
2013-01-18, 01:06 PM
Alyera listens, and then turns to the others. "So.... who's going where?"

Perhaps we should adjourn to the OOC, work things out, then roleplay it?