PDA

View Full Version : Mystic thurge/turn undead

TypoNinja
2012-10-15, 08:28 PM
So, I'm making a mystic Thurge, and want to if possible preserve its ability to turn undead. Is there any way I can make thurge levels count for turn undead? Or am I overlooking a clause somewhere that PrC's in general stack?

Bakkan
2012-10-15, 11:19 PM
Generally speaking, unless a prestige class says it advances soemthing, it doesn't. So the Mystic Theurge doesn't advance the cleric's turn undead, or the wizard's familiar, or the bard's bardic music.

If you want to be able to effectively use Turn Undead to, you know, turn undead, you should probably stick to cleric and turn undead-advancing presitge classes like the Radiant Servant of Pelor or the Sacred Exorcist (both from Complete Divine).

If you decide that you want to multiclass or theurge out, you should consider picking up one or more Divine feats to spend your Turn Undead uses on. Actually, I recommend that for anyone with access to Turn Undead, since it isn't every day that you will actually be facing undead. Travel Devotion and Animal Devotion from Complete Champion are decent, as is the Divine Metamagic feat (be sure to check the Errata, and beware of breaking the game).

TheOOB
2012-10-15, 11:25 PM
First, I'm not sure if you know this, but the Mystic Thurge is a really really underpowered PrC and not very good. Turn Undead also isn't all that great of a class feature, most the benefit from it you gain at level 1 where you can use it to power other abilities.

That said, I don't know of any ways off the top of my head to advance turn undead other than taking a class that grants turn undead progression. When a PrC advances caster level, it only gives CL, spells per day, and spells known, no other class features(since cleric and wizard have no real class features of note though, that's usually not a big deal.)

TypoNinja
2012-10-15, 11:48 PM
I'm aware from an optimization standpoint both mystic Thurge and Turn Undead are weak choices, but the games I play in are very low OP environments. I believe it will be competitive, and a Thruge is something I've wanted to try for a while.

I know there are several feats that let other classes stack their levels together for a class feature for each, but I couldn't find one for Turn Undead and PrC's. I was hoping somebody might know of something buried in an odd supplement, or a dragon mag.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-10-15, 11:57 PM
Bone Talisman (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20040721a) lets you turn undead based on your caster level, so replace Cleric with Druid or Spirit Shaman and you're better at TU than most prestiged Clerics.

Rejakor
2012-10-16, 12:46 AM
There's also various ways to boost turn undead so it actually does stuff.

Keep in mind at most levels beyond like 4 undead have about 50,000 HD so turning them is absolutely impossible.

This is also why necromancy is less shiny than it seems, and why Command Undead is such a great spell.

only1doug
2012-10-17, 07:54 AM
Bone Talisman (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20040721a) lets you turn undead based on your caster level, so replace Cleric with Druid or Spirit Shaman and you're better at TU than most prestiged Clerics.

or archaivist if your GM will allow you to have purchased a scroll of it at character creation.