PDA

View Full Version : Dragonfire Adept/Mindbender or Factotum?

the Blue Morpho
2012-10-15, 09:48 PM
Our DM has asked we roll up a second character in case our first dies and I can't decide between a Lizardfolk DFA/Midbender or a Human Factotum. Thoughts?

Kelb_Panthera
2012-10-16, 12:05 AM
What is it replacing?

Tvtyrant
2012-10-16, 12:13 AM
What does the Dragonfire Adept and Mindbender add to each other? Mostly DFAs are single class characters.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-10-16, 12:35 AM
What does the Dragonfire Adept and Mindbender add to each other? Mostly DFAs are single class characters.

I'd bet money that the mindbender aspect of that character is a one level dip for mindsight and nothing more. If that's the case the OP probably would've done better to ask for help deciding between a DFA and a factotum with no mention of the mind-bender thing.

The alternative is that he's considering actually running a full 10 levels of mindbender, but that'd make DFA a rather unusual entry class.

Ultimately the OP doesn't give enough info for anyone to give him any really meaningful advice. (hint, hint, op. :smallamused:)

Rejakor
2012-10-16, 02:24 AM
Well, you can't decide between them, that's good.

Are there any metrics under which you would be able to make a decision?

DFAs are for running around entangling everything with fire.

Factotums are for turning into troglodytes and beating things to death with their brains.

What do you normally play?

Draz74
2012-10-16, 12:10 PM
The Factotum is the stronger option, if only because Lizardfolk are a weak race (with Level Adjustment).

That said, it really depends on which character you'd rather play. DFAs are a delightful class to play -- effective but relaxing.

Note that a Factotum can also go into Mindbender without difficulty.

the Blue Morpho
2012-10-16, 01:37 PM
What is it replacing?

A Lesser Aasimar OA Shaman.

Also, the DM has allowed a Lesser Lizardfolk homebrew if I go DFA. Mostly, the race would be for flavor sincemy last character in the Faerun setting was a LF Barbarian/Runescar, he'd be a descendant.

Yes, Mindbender is for the telepathy.

I like the sound of fun but relaxing...

Amnestic
2012-10-16, 02:07 PM

Dropping 1-2 levels from DFA doesn't hurt you that much and Mindbender 1 is as good a dip as any other.

Tvtyrant
2012-10-16, 05:44 PM
Dropping 1-2 levels from DFA doesn't hurt you that much and Mindbender 1 is as good a dip as any other.

Yeah, but the OP didn't mention 1 level dip. I was asking clarification on that point, and the OP gave it. :smallsmile: