PDA

View Full Version : Sharing non-class spells and companions

mishka_shaw
2012-10-16, 06:03 AM
Hi

A question that has bugged me for a while.
In the description of sharing spells (yoinked from d&d wiki as can't bring PHB to work) it states...
"At the druid’s option, she may have any spell (but not any spell-like ability) she casts upon herself also affect her animal companion"
Now obviously it says "She Casts" which means I have to be phsyically the one that does it, so healing from a cleric will not propagate.
My question however is what about the following...

I cast a scroll I have made that is on my druid list
I cast a scroll someone else made and is not on my druid list
I buy a wondrous item that does a spell 3/day
I drink a potion

I'm hoping that if I buy a ring of reduce person than it will also propagate to the mount but I am not quite sure what "casts upon herself" defines as.

Thanks in advanced

molten_dragon
2012-10-16, 06:15 AM
Hi

A question that has bugged me for a while.
In the description of sharing spells (yoinked from d&d wiki as can't bring PHB to work) it states...
"At the druid’s option, she may have any spell (but not any spell-like ability) she casts upon herself also affect her animal companion"
Now obviously it says "She Casts" which means I have to be phsyically the one that does it, so healing from a cleric will not propagate.
My question however is what about the following...

I cast a scroll I have made that is on my druid list
I cast a scroll someone else made and is not on my druid list
I buy a wondrous item that does a spell 3/day
I drink a potion

I'm hoping that if I buy a ring of reduce person than it will also propagate to the mount but I am not quite sure what "casts upon herself" defines as.

Thanks in advanced

I wouldn't think so for the ring of reduce person, since it would most likely be command word rather than spell completion.

If it was spell completion (i.e. a wand scroll or staff) then it might work, but as far as I know RAW isn't completely clear on the subject.

ThiagoMartell
2012-10-16, 06:38 AM
Try using d20srd (http://www.d20srd.org) instead of D&D wiki. It's just better.

mishka_shaw
2012-10-16, 06:55 AM
I read a post that in the 3.5 rules compendium it states that no magic items count as "casting" but rather activating.
So I guess its a no on all counts.