PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Summoning Focused Cleric...Is it worth it?

Giegue
2012-10-16, 07:17 AM
As the title says. I am thinking about making an Evangelist archtype cleric who is focused on summoning monsters. However, after re-reading the Sacred Summons feat I realized that said feat is nowhere near as good as I thought and as a result I am wondering if a summon-focused cleric build is still worthwhile? If anybody could share their opinions on this I would be grateful. I'd be taking all the summoning feats(like Augment summoning, the one that lets you summon out more monsters ect...) but will probably be skipping sacred summons because the game is non-evil and that feat really is only beneficial to evil characters. So, does anybody have any opinions on this?

navar100
2012-10-16, 08:47 AM
It's a fine tactic, but that's all it is, a tactic. Do it, but don't have that be the only thing you do. I played a summoning cleric in a 3E game. I summoned hound archons and elementals. At higher levels it was amusing as I summoned celestial elephants.

As a summoning cleric, you're better off playing your character as a spellcaster cleric and not a warrior cleric. You want buff spells you can cast on your summoned monsters and other party members. You want attack spells against your enemies at a distance while your summoned monsters engage them.

The summoned monster's job is to occupy the enemies' time. Every attack against your summoned monster is one less attack against the party. While it is tempting to channel energy to heal your summoned monsters, do it as a consequence of needing to heal party members as well instead of just to keep the summoned monster around longer. Augment Summoning is still a good feat to have.

Unfortunately, clerics don't have good Conjuration attack spells with saving throws to make much use out of the Spell Focus (Conjuration) prerequisite. You could use the conjuration healing spells on undead, but that's kind of a waste. You'll have to eat the feat waste of space. Play a human so you can get that and Augment Summoning at first level to get it out of the way to spend the rest of your feats in your career for whatever else you want.

Psyren
2012-10-16, 10:36 AM
What's wrong with Sacred Summons? Standard-action summoning is very useful - it means you can get your summons out with less risk of interruption, as well as move and summon.

Spellsong is a good choice, especially with the enchantment-type spells you can spontaneously cast. This lets you e.g. enthrall a group of people without them realizing it, so long as you deliver a speech/sermon while doing so. It also lets you continue to cast spells while concentrating on other spells, for instance locking down a group of enemies with Calm Emotions while you churn out more summons.

Selective Channeling is a must, so you can heal the party (and your pets) without healing the enemy. Look into other Channeling feats as well.

Corlindale
2012-10-16, 01:21 PM
The problem I bet the OP discovered with Sacred Summons is that it is EXTREMELY restricted in its use, since it only allows fast summons of creatures which exactly match your own alignment in their subtypes (thus doesn't even let you summon celestial/fiendish creatures).

Therefore, it's most useful for LE or CE characters, since for some reasons these alignment subtypes are most abundant on the lists. I could see some use for a CG caster, though, if only for summoning those bard Azatas as a standard action, to have them immediately start up an Inspire Courage. But that's moot if you play an Evangelist anyway.

Incidentally, Evangelist + Summoning may have some problems, since ideally an evangelist wants to start performing as early as possible, while a summoner wants to start summoning as early as possible - which can mean some tough decisions about what to cast in round 1. At least until 13th level, when you can perform with a swift action. The good part about the combo is, of course, that you can buff more targets.

Giegue
2012-10-17, 11:13 AM
Yeah, that was my line of thinking. Bardsong + more allies to buff. However, if the combo clashes to much I might go strait evangelist. Also, spellsong looks nice, but the secondary ability of the feat is totally useless since it specifies that it only works on bard spells. However, the first ability seems quite interesting, to say the least, and would be a fun combo with enthrall. I can see it being kinda like the 3.5e evangelist PrC, actually.

Crustypeanut
2012-10-17, 11:40 AM
If I was to make a summoning-oriented Cleric, Augment Summoning and Superior Summoning would be high on my list of feats. Sacred Summons would be useful if your alignment matches the creature you wish to summon. Celestial creaters are Neutral Good I believe? Fiendish are Neutral Evil, anarchic are Chaotic Neutral, and Axiomatic are Lawful Neutral.. I could be wrong on that though.

But other than that, focus on spells and channeling. Your combat ability will be sub-par, though your defenses will likley be pretty good. Stay back, summon, buff, and heal. So a high wisdom/charisma will be a must, followed by a good constitution. Its recommended you go after Heavy Armor, but not required. Enough strength to carry your armor might be good too.. but not required per-say.

eggs
2012-10-17, 12:12 PM
The tactic is worth it. Building specifically to summon... eh. Augment's good for damage output, especially at low levels, and Void [Dark Tapestry] domain is awesome (mostly for the Void Part, but +numbers to summons doesn't hurt), but other summoning-specific options are either hit-or-miss like Sacred Summons or fairly lackluster for their investment, like Moonlight or Skeletal Summons.