PDA

View Full Version : Jason Statham.

Gharkash
2012-10-16, 09:30 AM
As the name does not suggest, build Jason Statham. In DnD 3.5.

I guess this means:

Improvised Weapons Use
Unarmored or lightly armored
Unarmed combat
Armed combat
High levels of endurance
Acrobatic skills(?)
Some use of Wisom/Intelligence in between the savage beatings
Cheesy lines of badassery

So, feats, classes and whatelse that shouts Statham to you? Build ideas?
Homebrew acceptable (one of my first thoughts was Swordsage2/Warblade18 with access to Infernal Monster).

BowStreetRunner
2012-10-16, 09:45 AM
Jason Statham is an actor. Do you want to build Lee Christmas? Frank Martin? Handsome Rob? Or is your goal some amalgamation of them all?

Gharkash
2012-10-16, 09:51 AM
I used the actor's name because i believe most of his roles, whatever backstory, are based on the same principles, mostly the ones i mentioned in the op adding the man that just won't die and the one man army archetype.

Spuddles
2012-10-16, 10:17 AM
I used the actor's name because i believe most of his roles, whatever backstory, are based on the same principles, mostly the ones i mentioned in the op adding the man that just won't die and the one man army archetype.

I mean, maybe post-Transporter, but his Guy Ritchie stuff has him as not much more than a hustler and a schemer.

But you're probably thinking Chev Chelios, from Crank?

Pretty much any movie hero that does a bunch of stuff competently, and could see growth in an actual game, would involve mostly levels in Factotum and a bunch of feats spent on font of inspiration.

Think about it- they can walk up and kill someone quietly and abruptly when they need to (dump all those inspiration points into SA). A big lumbering enemy brute that's nigh invincible? They do something clever and trip him or whatever using the environment- oh hey I get int to my str and dex checks, which means initiative and grapples and trips.

Need some of that wire-fu action and ability to laugh off explosions? Dip two levels of monk, pick up kung-fu genuis for int-SADness. That gets you int to AC, a couple bonus monk feats (stunning fist now works off int), your body is a weapon, as well as picking up evasion.

Ardantis
2012-10-16, 10:26 AM
He's clearly a Swordsage or a Warblade. The flavor of the Warblade fits better, although the Swordsage mechanics account for the sheer variety in his beat-assery.

I would say maneuvers from Infernal Monster and Fool's Grip cover his anger and improvised weapon use. Army of One accounts for scenes like the bicycle scene from Transporter.

As far as endurance goes (Crash), I don't think DnD does endurance well at all- AC is generally better than HP, and recovery (outside of magical healing) is not a core aspect of gameplay.

So, basically, I don't know about that part. Otherwise, I agree with your choices (funny how he feels like all these homebrew disciplines).

Gharkash
2012-10-16, 10:27 AM
Yes, i mostly refer to Crank, Transporter, Death race, Expendables, you get the point.

Had not considered Factotum, he gets so much attention as a skillmonkey and iaijutsu expert that it did not cross my mind.

Gharkash
2012-10-16, 10:29 AM
First idea was ToB stuff cause i love it, but a mix of factotum and warblade may be ideal. Will need to go deeper.

Zonugal
2012-10-16, 06:54 PM
I might do him as something simple like this:

Human Factotum 3/Warblade 3
Improved Unarmed Strike [1st], Combat Expertise [H], Knowledge Devotion [3rd], Supreme Unarmed Strike [6th]

Luzahn
2012-10-16, 06:56 PM
If you're letting expendables in as well, perhaps something with thrown weapons?

Gharkash
2012-10-17, 12:43 AM
Human Factotum 3/Warblade 3
Is level 3 a good level for a factotum dip?

If you're letting expendables in as well, perhaps something with thrown weapons?

It crossed my mind but it seems too much effort.

gallagher
2012-10-17, 12:56 AM
But can he go up against Jacki Chan? AKA everything-stalt, where you combine all of the classes at the same time

Zonugal
2012-10-17, 07:36 AM
But can he go up against Jacki Chan? AKA everything-stalt, where you combine all of the classes at the same time

I would put Jacki Chan as such:

Human Rogue 1/Monk 2/Rogue 2/Drunken Master 1

With Weapon Focus (Ladders) somewhere in that build.

BowStreetRunner
2012-10-17, 09:17 AM
Is level 3 a good level for a factotum dip?

Factotum 3 is in fact a very popular dip for high INT builds. It gets you Brains over Brawn, which gives your INT bonus to STR and DEX checks and STR and DEX skill checks.

As for thrown weapons, Bloodstorm Blade out of ToB gets Throw Anything and it is an easy entry for a Warblade (8 ranks in Balance, Point Blank Shot, and one strike and one stance from the Iron Heart discipline, which Warblade gets).

rockdeworld
2012-10-17, 10:33 AM
The plot to every Jason Statham movie I've seen goes like this:
1. Jason Statham does something with cars.
2. The BBEG tries to kill Jason Statham.
3. The BBEG dies instead.

Ergo, I declare Jason Statham is Pun Pun.