PDA

View Full Version : Unborn wyvern babies

Spuddles
2012-10-16, 06:48 PM
So the party members raided a wyvern den, killed all the adults, and gleefully stuffed loot and wyvern eggs into their bag of holding.

Which they forgot about. For months of in game time.

When they finally get around to opening the bag, what sort of horror should face them? Well preserved, but dead eggs? Extra-dimensional wyvern ghosts?

Analytica
2012-10-16, 06:49 PM
Planetouched wyvern cubs?

Ernir
2012-10-16, 06:53 PM
A smell horrifying enough to choke a ghoul.

INoKnowNames
2012-10-16, 06:57 PM
If Pokemon has taught me anything, it might have taken -just- that long for them to hatch. And what horror is worse than the horror of unplanned parenthood?

mattie_p
2012-10-16, 06:57 PM
Conveniently have the eggs hatch right then and there, and have them look at the party as mother. (Yes, this handwaves the whole eggs need air thing. It is a game, for pete's sake.)

And crap of all craps swordsaged!

INoKnowNames
2012-10-16, 06:58 PM
Conveniently have the eggs hatch right then and there, and have them look at the party as mother. (Yes, this handwaves the whole eggs need air thing. It is a game, for pete's sake.)

And crap of all craps swordsaged!

Not even 30 seconds, too. :smallbiggrin:

mattie_p
2012-10-16, 07:12 PM
Not even 30 seconds, too. :smallbiggrin:

Good idea is good idea.

karkus
2012-10-16, 07:35 PM
What "flavor" are these babies?

Keep in mind that dragons are color-coded for your convenience. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0207.html)

Spuddles
2012-10-16, 07:37 PM
What "flavor" are these babies?

Keep in mind that dragons are color-coded for your convenience. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0207.html)

They are wyvern (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/wyvern.htm) flavor.

Acanous
2012-10-16, 07:41 PM
How often has that bag been opened? If they use it consistantly, the eggs could have gotten enough air. I remember there was a chart with how long each type of Bag of Holding could sustain a medium creature. Eggs are small, so 4* that. If they go in the bag for something twice daily, the eggs could have survived.

The lack of warmth may be a problem, though.

shadow_archmagi
2012-10-16, 07:46 PM
How often has that bag been opened? If they use it consistantly, the eggs could have gotten enough air. I remember there was a chart with how long each type of Bag of Holding could sustain a medium creature. Eggs are small, so 4* that. If they go in the bag for something twice daily, the eggs could have survived.

If it's a bag of holding, then presumably it's getting body heat from being on someone's belt...

Spuddles
2012-10-16, 07:51 PM

I'll have to double check on that, but for some reason I don't think they used it for days after loading it up, if they ever opened it again. They may have shortly afterwards upgraded to HHHs and just left that bag laying around full of loot. They're really bad about selling anything. It just gets written on a slip of paper and then forgotten.

If it's a bag of holding, then presumably it's getting body heat from being on someone's belt...

Does radiation pass through the non-dimensional fold? I suppose it would, but then it would have to heat the whole space.... It's actually probably a super well insulated thing, since it has only one point for heat to move in and out.

Will have to squeeze details out of party members about where they kept this damn thing.

Cause warmth + daily opening/moving means something spikey and adorable might be chewing its way out of a bag.

Kane0
2012-10-16, 07:52 PM
It hatches, kills the first familiar it sees for its first meal and becomes the new famililar :)

Thats what I am hoping to happen to our dragon egg at least...

Acanous
2012-10-16, 07:54 PM
It hatches, kills the first familiar it sees for its first meal and becomes the new famililar :)

Thats what I am hoping to happen to our dragon egg at least...

There's a feat for that >.>

INoKnowNames
2012-10-16, 07:57 PM
There's a feat for that >.>

That sounds like a hilarious tagline for a signature or something.

"Got x? There's a feat for that."

Also, in his defense, that would be an -AWESOME- way to roleplay gaining that feat.

ShadowFireLance
2012-10-16, 07:57 PM
Alright: Wyrven Eggs are most likely gone, So Mourn not!
Follow my Plan and you shall have Wyrven Mounts!

1) Gather Gold
2) Attempt to get your Dm to allow a Rez Spell to be cast on Eggs.
3) Profit!

(Or Alt)

1) Hunt down some Wyrvens {male/Female} )
2) Have some master Grapple stuff.
3) Grapple into cage.
4) Provide Meat once per day.
5) Hope its mating season (or Get some crazy BoEF Spell)

Spuddles
2012-10-16, 07:59 PM
3) Grapple into cage.
5) Hope its mating season

Solid life advice right there.

ShadowFireLance
2012-10-16, 08:00 PM
Life advice for what? Life in genral?

INoKnowNames
2012-10-16, 08:01 PM
Alright: Wyrven Eggs are most likely gone, So Mourn not!
Follow my Plan and you shall have Wyrven Mounts!

1) Hunt down some Wyrvens {male/Female} )
3) Grapple into cage.
5) Hope its mating season (or Get some crazy BoEF Spell)

1) Male/Female? Do you mean a creature that is both?
2-3) Yes, because that won't end horribly for the grappler...
3) What if they break the cage?
4) How many creatures would you have to kill daily to provide enough food for the multiple wyverns?
5) Better hope more that they don't eat eachother...

Solid life advice right there.

.... OH MY GOD NOW I CAN'T UNSEE IT!

ShadowFireLance
2012-10-16, 08:05 PM
1) Male/Female? Do you mean a creature that is both?
2-3) Yes, because that won't end horribly for the grappler...
3) What if they break the cage?
4) How many creatures would you have to kill daily to provide enough food for the multiple wyverns?
5) Better hope more that they don't eat eachother...

.... OH MY GOD NOW I CAN'T UNSEE IT!

Oh, NOW I get it.. XP

1) Nah, Just one of both, (Now I can't unsee it.
2-3) yeah, Its called lots of Armor....(Or High levels)
4) A cow/Pig each? thats two per day.
5) Is their a spell that prevents attack on creatures? Cast it.

mattie_p
2012-10-16, 08:08 PM

I know there is a calm emotions spell. But I think you are looking for a romantic emotions spell. Sounds like a custom research project, or BoEF!

ShadowFireLance
2012-10-16, 08:09 PM
XD Now That bothers me, I must find this!

INoKnowNames
2012-10-16, 08:16 PM
Oh, NOW I get it.. XP

1) Nah, Just one of both, (Now I can't unsee it.
2-3) yeah, Its called lots of Armor....(Or High levels)
4) A cow/Pig each? thats two per day.

1) Have fun figuring out their genders and not getting slain. Hope they aren't hermaphroditic, because there are lots of reptiles that are!

2) I didn't think Armor was helpful when grappling. Not to mention if you guys get into a hold, they get to sting you, and constitution poison sucks.

4) I always thought Dragons ate multipe cows per day, and Wyrms only a bit smaller than that.

I know there is a calm emotions spell. But I think you are looking for a romantic emotions spell. Sounds like a custom research project, or BoEF!

Why does -EVERYONE- go straight for BoEF? Why not Unlawful Carnal Knowledge? Or Nymphology? Or Book of Neurotic Fantasy?

XD Now That bothers me, I must find this!

.... are you sure you can't unsee? Or don't want to unsee?

Acanous
2012-10-16, 08:58 PM
Tome of Blue Magic?

Anyhow, Wyverns are only Large, not Huge, so a cow a day is more than they need.

Um. If they're Hermaphroditic, doesn't that just make it Easier?

blackspeeker
2012-10-16, 09:05 PM
How odd that the group I'm signed on with on skype just raided a wyvern nest and did the same thing, minus the bag of holding, also getting the eggs was the mission for us, we're planning on raising them up to be guard dogs for our section of a city. I just hope we get a mating pair.

Eshkigal
2012-10-16, 09:11 PM
With the eggs being in a highly insulated bag, you might also want to consider impromptu, ancient omelettes in there if it hasn't been opened long enough.

ShadowFireLance
2012-10-16, 09:13 PM
OMLETTES!!!
HOW DARE YOU INSULT (and waste) THE PREICSUS LIFE OF DRAGONKIND!!!
(That would make a wicked omlette..

Spuddles
2012-10-16, 11:06 PM
OMLETTES!!!
HOW DARE YOU INSULT (and waste) THE PREICSUS LIFE OF DRAGONKIND!!!
(That would make a wicked omlette..

Ooh, I could roll on a table to see what happens when you eat Wyvern omelette....

Doorhandle
2012-10-17, 02:47 AM
That sounds like a hilarious tagline for a signature or something.

"Got x? There's a feat for that."

Also, in his defense, that would be an -AWESOME- way to roleplay gaining that feat.

In pathfinder, there's a similar version expect it's INBUILT rolplaying for getting the new familiar, but with cacaodeamon and qlippoth instead of wyverns.

Analytica
2012-10-17, 04:31 AM
<derail>BoEF is simply (relatively speaking) better quality than the others, probably courtesy of some actual WotC employees being involved with it as a side project.</derail>

Anyway. Lack of air and heat is why I mentioned planetouched. They would be whatever the astral plane equivalents of tieflings are, adapted so they don't need those things.

EDIT: Also on wyvern husbandry: for a wonderful look at this, and the senmurv version as well, see beautiful anime series Kemono no Souja Erin for inspiration. Such as using custom bardic music to calm/frighten/drive/soothe the animals you keep.

DigoDragon
2012-10-17, 07:26 AM
If you like the weird stuff, you can take a page from my brother and the eggs hatch to find a small band of kobold rogues who had hidden themselves in the eggs so they could smuggle out the Wyvern's treasure.

Oops. :smallbiggrin:

Axier
2012-10-17, 07:32 AM
You could, get some wyvers and start breeding them with kobolds!

The PF Advanced Races Guide statted half Wyvern Kobolds. Nasty temper, medium sized, and totally slightly more intelegent.

Deathkeeper
2012-10-17, 07:39 AM
When they open the bag, they are greeted by a sight and smell so horrible that the only option is to throw the bag out the airlock. Considering they're not in space, they must go on a quest to find a suitable Sphere of Annihalation.

sdream
2012-10-17, 04:52 PM
I wouldn't go overboard... eggs are an object not a creature and they probably don't need that much air.

As for warmth, they may not be gaining heat from their surroundings, but they shouldn't be losing much either.

Unless you really don't want to deal with it, I would give your players the choice.

The wyvern eggs can claw their way out of the bag (ruining it) and get noticed when they hatch and the party can train/sell them, or they can have died as eggs, and the party can carefully clean out the slightly smelly (but still functional) bag of holding.

People like choices, and they appreciate stuff they pay for more.

Spuddles
2012-10-17, 04:58 PM
I wouldn't go overboard... eggs are an object not a creature and they probably don't need that much air.

As for warmth, they may not be gaining heat from their surroundings, but they shouldn't be losing much either.

Unless you really don't want to deal with it, I would give your players the choice.

The wyvern eggs can claw their way out of the bag (ruining it) and get noticed when they hatch and the party can train/sell them, or they can have died as eggs, and the party can carefully clean out the slightly smelly (but still functional) bag of holding.

People like choices, and they appreciate stuff they pay for more.

We try not to metagame.