PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Untranslatable: A Pathfinder Truenamer Update/Fix

Novawurmson
2012-10-16, 11:41 PM
Foreward:

Well, I finally have a hard copy of Tome of Magic, and of course my brain decides that what I really need to do is make a PF conversion/"fix" of the Truenamer, when I have hundreds of other projects to be working on. As much of the Truenamer is copyrighted by the coastal wizards, what I'll be posting here is what should be changed or updated. I owe a great debt to Zaq (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214115), who by now deserves to be permanently installed in the GitP pantheon as the god of truenamers.

Design Goals:

1. Instead of creating lots of entirely new content, I aim to tweak existing content to keep this "update" as close to the original as is wise. I want to improve and expand existing class features to make them more useful and relevant as the truenamer levels.
2. I'm hoping to create a solid tier 3-4 secondary arcanist around the power level of the 3.5 Warlock or the PF Alchemist, potentially also aiding the party as a party face, skillmonkey, and secondary melee combatant, depending on specialization.
3. For the most part, the changes made will be a direct power boost to the somewhat underwhelming 3.5 version (with the possible exception of Gate as a SLA).
4. I hope to remove all dead levels for the truenamer; failing that, I hope to remove all dead even levels (as PF characters get a feat every odd level.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ToMagic_Gallery/96133.jpg

Truenaming

Truespeak checks are skill checks with a DC equal to 15+the target's HD for creatures, or 15+caster level for a magic item. For truespeak checks that affect an area, the DC is 10+(utterance levelx5).
15+(CRx2) is just ridiculous and forces truenamers to optimize or die.. CR is also a metagame concept that should be ignored by DMs at a moment's notice, while HD is a firm, identifiable number.

The Law of Resistance applies as written in Tome of Magic.

The Law of Sequence does not exist; a truenamer can keep any number of the same utterance active at the same time, assuming she is able to continue making her Truespeak DC's.

The Truenamer

Hit Die: d8
Standard PF upgrade for a 3/4 BAB class.
Skills: Truenamers have access to the following skills: Appraise (Int), Craft (Int), Bluff (Cha), Diplomacy (Cha), Fly (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (All, taken individually) (Int), Linguistics (Int), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Truespeak (Int) and Use Magic Device (Cha).
Several times in the Truenamer text, they're called out as being excellent orators; I gave them the big four social skills. There is no reason why they shouldn't have Linguistics, and I generally added all Int-based skills. They don't really need all these class skills because of the PF skill system, but it's a nice little boost.
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Intelligence modifier.

Weapon and Armor proficiencies: As printed in the Tome of Magic, page 200.

Know Personal Truename: As printed in the Tome of Magic, page 200.

Utterances (Sp): As printed in the Tome of Magic, page 200, with the following change: The save DC vs. an utterance is equal to 10+1/2 truenamer level+Int modifier.

Message (Sp): A truenamer can message (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/m/message) other creatures (as the spell) with a caster level equal to her character level. The truenamer does not need to make a Truespeak check to use this ability.

Knowledge Focus (Su): As printed in the Tome of Magic, page 200.

Syllable of Pain (Sp): At third level, the truenamer can let off a piercing shriek that harms and disables a foe. With a successful Truespeak check, one opponent within 60 ft. takes 2d6 sonic damage + 1d6 for every three truenamer levels beyond 3rd level (to a maximum of 7d6 at level 18) and is staggered for one round. A successful Fortitude save of 10+(1/2 truenamer level)+Int halves this damage and negates the staggered effect. At level 11, the target is dazed on a failed save instead of staggered.

I want to add some way for the Truenamer to do sonic damage. This is just one idea; tell me what you think in the comments.

Calm Resistance (Su) At level 4, the truenamer learns to undo the tension she has built up in the universe with her abilities. By spending one minute in concentration, a truenamer can reset the Law of Resistance on all of her abilities that use truespeak. This includes utterances, class features, and feats that make use of the truespeak skill. The truenamer can use this ability once per day at 4th level, and one additional time per day at every 5 levels beyond 4, to a maximum of 4 times per day at level 19.

Truename Research: As printed in the Tome of Magic, page 200 (though see Feats below).

Bonus Recitation Feat: As printed in the Tome of Magic, page 200 (though see Feats below).

See the Named (Su): As printed in the Tome of Magic, page 200, but you gain an additional use of this ability at level 12, 15, and 18. At level 16, you no longer need to know the personal truename of the creature to use this ability (though you still need to make a successful Truespeak check and have some sort of connection to the creature, as the scry spell). As with most Truespeak checks, the DC is 15+the target's HD.

Sending (Su): As printed in the Tome of Magic, page 200, with the following changes: The Truenamer gains this ability at level 8, and it is usable 3+Int times per day. At level 12, the Truenamer no longer needs to know the personal truename of the target. At level 19, this ability is usable at will. As with most Truespeak checks, the DC is 15+the target's HD.

Speak unto the Masses (Su): As printed in the Tome of Magic, pages 200-201, with the following changes: You gain this ability at 4th level but may only use it 3+(1/2 truenamer level) times per day. At level 17, you can use this ability at will and can affect creatures of different kinds with a single utterance.

Say My Name and I Am There (Su): As printed in the Tome of Magic, page 200, with the following changes: You gain this ability at level 5, but it can only teleport you up to long range (400 ft. + 40 ft./level) and you can only teleport once per day. At level 10 and 15, you gain an additional use of this ability. At level 16, the range changes to 1 mile per truenamer level. At level 20, you can use this ability at will, and you can be teleported any distance and between planes. Using this ability is a free action for your allies, but you can only use it once per round, regardless of how many uses you have available.

- - - - -

Utterances

Defensive Edge - [Note] Remember that untyped bonuses and penalties to AC also apply to CMD.

Hidden Truth - [Note] Bardic Knowledge has changed significantly between 3.5 and PF.

Knight's Puissance and Knight's Puissance, Greater - [Note] Remember that untyped bonuses and penalties to attack rolls also apply to CMB.

Preternatural Clarity - [Note] Remember that untyped bonuses and penalties to attack rolls also apply to CMB.

- - - - -

Feats

Remove the feat Truename Training (but see Traits below); all feats that have the Truename Training feat as a prerequisite no longer have this requirement.

Reduce the minimum skill rank of all feats and recitations that require ranks in Truespeak by 3. For example, the Empower Utterance feat would require 6 ranks of Truespeak instead of 9.
This is because of the changes to the skill system in PF.

- - - - -

Traits

Truename Training
-You have unlocked the secrets of truenaming from a young age. You gain a +1 trait bonus to all Truespeak checks and Truespeak is always a class skill for you.

- - - - -

Change log:

10-18-12 - Added the Calm Resistance class feature; changed the DCs to scale from Cha to Int
10-17-12 - Added Picture
10-17-12 - Posted!

To-Do list:

Improve recitation feats
Add new feats?
Add new utterances?
Add alternate favored class bonuses?
"Emphasis" augmentation system

nonsi
2012-10-17, 05:40 AM
Table, please.
Preferably with the changes bolded

TheOneWhoWalks
2012-10-17, 08:22 PM
Table, please.
Preferably with the changes bolded

As he mentioned, the Truenamer is copyrighted. In order to not be in violation of that, all he is able to post is what he's changing, not the things that stay the same (i.e., the things that WotC owns) . So any table would contain ONLY the changes, and that would be a little sparse. :smalltongue:

That being said, it wouldn't been too difficult to create one yourself, for your own use, which is, as far as I know, totally legit under copyright laws. :smallbiggrin:

Grod_The_Giant
2012-10-17, 08:37 PM
Truespeak checks are skill checks with a DC equal to 15+the target's HD for creatures, or 15+caster level for a magic item. For truespeak checks that affect an area, the DC is 10+(utterance levelx5).
Ehhh... CR is a metagame construct, but shouldn't be ignored, because it's (theoretically) a measure of a monster's total combat strength. HD... I mean, it'll work, but you should be aware that most things' HD are significantly higher than their CR. In either case, I'd drop the starting DC to 10+HD/CR.

The Law of Sequence does not exist; a truenamer can keep any number of the same utterance active at the same time, assuming she is able to continue making her Truespeak DC's.
Yes.

Message (Sp): A truenamer can message (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/m/message) other creatures (as the spell) with a caster level equal to her character level. The truenamer does not need to make a Truespeak check to use this ability.
Ok, that's kind of nice.

Syllable of Pain (Sp): At third level, the truenamer can let off a piercing shriek that harms and disables a foe. With a successful Truespeak check, one opponent within 60 ft. takes 2d6 sonic damage + 1d6 for every three truenamer levels beyond 3rd level (to a maximum of 7d6 at level 18) and is staggered for one round. A successful Fortitude save of 10+(1/2 truenamer level)+Int halves this damage and negates the staggered effect. At level 11, the target is dazed on a failed save instead of staggered.
What's the DC on the check?

Speak unto the Masses (Su): As printed in the Tome of Magic, pages 200-201, with the following changes: You gain this ability at 4th level but may only use it 3+(1/2 truenamer level) times per day. At level 17, you can use this ability at will and can affect creatures of different kinds with a single utterance.
Nice boost. With as many useless utterances as exist, probably not a huge deal, but you might want to have it provide a kick to the Truespeak DC.

Novawurmson
2012-10-17, 11:37 PM
Ehhh... CR is a metagame construct, but shouldn't be ignored, because it's (theoretically) a measure of a monster's total combat strength. HD... I mean, it'll work, but you should be aware that most things' HD are significantly higher than their CR. In either case, I'd drop the starting DC to 10+HD/CR.

The reasoning behind my decision was that it was formerly 15+double CR; at low levels, it's mostly a crapshoot whether CR or HD is more difficult for the Truenamer (i.e. Worg - CR 2, 4 HD is a DC 19 either way), but at higher levels, this is almost always a net gain for the Truenamer (i.e. Frost Giant - CR 9, 14 HD; DC 33 before, DC 29 in my version. An NPC with 15 class levels would be DC 45 in the old system [43 in PF, because of changes to the CR system], but is DC 30 in my system).

What's the DC on the check?

15+Truenamer level, like most class features.

Nice boost. With as many useless utterances as exist, probably not a huge deal, but you might want to have it provide a kick to the Truespeak DC.

It increases the DC as it would have before.

Also, about to make a small update.

Edit: Grammar

Quellian-dyrae
2012-10-19, 02:13 PM
The Law of Resistance seems like something that would be really annoying to keep track of in play. Why not do something like, each time you successfully use Truespeak, you just take a flat penalty (probably -1 or -2) to all Truespeak checks, but that penalty fades quickly (either -1 per round you don't use Truespeak, or resets to 0 with a few minutes of rest, or as a full-round action you reduce it by X, or whatever)? This makes Truespeaking more of a per-encounter than per-day ability, but lets you just deal with one number, rather than having to keep track of a separate penalty for every single utterance you have.

Cloud
2012-11-06, 12:24 AM
I know CR is a often a bad way to measure power...but I still feel it's better then using HD in this case. It feels all sorts of wrong that many dire animals are harder to effect then powerful outsiders with the language of creation, for example, a Dire Tiger has 16 HD, and a Maralith has 16 HD, but one is CR 8, the other CR 17. Also it still means the DC's are too damn high to actually do anything with the class if you're against something with 1.5-2+ HD per CR. My personal favourites for the truespeak DCs is 15+CR+2*level of the utterance. Or 10+CR+2*level of the utterance and the law of resistance is either +4, or add it's +2 fail or pass. If you must use HD, then yeah, go with the suggestions already in this thread, and make the DC 10+HD.

Also for your skills, I always found it a little ridiculous that they didn't get Listen as a class skill, while for example Bards did. Apparently truenamers know they have to speak every little inflection perfectly, but can't tell they're getting it wrong, no wonder they're so bad, XD (This being pathfinder, perception I suppose.)