PDA

View Full Version : The Alpha Panda, Serenity RPG OC



Pages : [1] 2 3

Adlan
2012-10-17, 04:57 AM
The Alpha Panda
http://imageshack.us/a/img32/9158/alphapanda02.png

Welcome to the OC thread for the Serenity RPG game set on board the former Independent vessel, The Alpha Panda.

Episodes
Season One. Out in the Black
Episode One: The Derelict (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14072770#post14072770)
Episode Two: Haulin' Ice (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14196981#post141969815)
Epsiode 3: Boom Town
Episode 4: Side Tracked
Episode 5: Mine Drift

Crew:
Cap'n Rouge - Ships Cat and Owner.

Jack Oregon (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=451463) Our "Smuggler Captain" Jack;
Emotionally scarred Browncoat spacer, mortgage holder, captain and co-pilot.

雷铁翼 Léi Tiě Yì (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=451676) spacer-child and forced Alliance conscript, excellent pilot and comm officer. Also, the happiest person on the boat.

Dr. Sia Ling (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=451296) Familiar with all the parts of the human anatomy. And not afraid to mess around with them. Or their owners.

Tap (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=451548) Our swiss army knife Mechanic, Large Scarred & Ugly ex-alliance mechanic with cybernetic arm and eye. Loyal, soft spoken & gentle.

Some "Deck Hands"
Jeremiah Coleman (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=452539) Bruiser, soldier, muscle. Fairly quiet and simple in his tastes and mannerisms, but can be easily set off by mention of the Alliance and The War. Prime example of "walk softly and carry a big stick"... only in this case, you know, the stick is a gun.

Morgan Blake (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=452701) a Mute Ex-Alliance Special Forces Agent with an arsenal of weapons who went rogue during a cover-up gone wrong.
Gregoire Reaufort (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=235048) is a Former Independent tactician and Budding Evil Genius.
Backstory here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14080122&postcount=62)

Stirling 'Shooter' Young (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=457676) a rough and ready rim world man.

Recently arrived to take the position of cook Grace Willows (Ph.D.) (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=452492). A motherly type in her fifties, gardener and Pacifist.

"Passanger" Adrian Star (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=452602) recently rescued off a derelict that had been attacked.

"Freed Indentured Servant" Amiri (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=184091), a young man freed from the Mary Celestia.



Ship
Stats:
Dimensions: 160Lx190Bx52H.
Tonnage: 1600 GRT.
Speed Class: 5 cruise / 8 Hard burn.
Crew Quarters:11. 1 larger single cabin with a desk for the captain, 2 x 4 person Bunkbed Cabins, 1x 2 person Bunkbed Cabin.
Fuel Capacity: 80 tons, 400GRT (960h).
Cargo Capacity: 200 Ton
Passenger Capacity: 6, 3 x 2 person bunksbed Rooms
Price: You Owe a certain amount of cash every month and a certain amount of favours. Either do the Favours, or Pay the Cash. +€400 a month for upkeep.
Atributes: Agi d10, Str d6, Vit d8, Ale d6, Int d6, Wil d6;
Init d10+d6, Life 12.
Traits: Fast Throttle (minor), Memorable (minor), Loved
(Major).
Skills: Mechanical Engineering d4, Perception d4, Pilot
d4.
Gear:Med bay, 2 1lb Cannon, mounted above port and starboard cargo bay airlocks.

Side View:
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b361/Adlan/SideviewAlphapanda.png

Ground Floor, Bridge:
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b361/Adlan/AlphaPandabridge.png
1st Floor, Crew Quarters:
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b361/Adlan/AlphaPandaCrewQuaters.png
2nd Floor, Cargo Bay:
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b361/Adlan/AlphaPandaCargobay.png
3rd Floor, Passenger Bay:
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b361/Adlan/AlphaPandaPassangers.png

Lentrax
2012-10-17, 11:33 AM
The Alpha Panda. Our home out of atmo.

Doc Sia will use Indigo for speech.

Space Lawyer
2012-10-17, 12:07 PM
All good on the deckplans, with two exceptions: our pilot, comm officer, sensor officer, and navigator are all the same person, and shouldn't the person doing most of the flying be sleeping next to the bridge?

雷铁翼 Léi Tiě Yì (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=451676)

Speaking in blue.

Picture

http://coolvibe.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Asian_Woman_Character-e1284585147625.jpg

Erasmas
2012-10-17, 12:10 PM
Excellent!

So, what do you think Lentrax... quarter up in the room on the 1st floor in the upper left corner (just beside the ladder to the Bridge)? Keep it bunk beds or make it a double?

I was also thinking (if it's alright, Adlan) that I could have a secret compartment in the "body" of my bed for my guns. And I was hoping that maybe you can only unlock it when the door to the room is locked. Thoughts?

Cole will use green.

Narmoth
2012-10-17, 12:19 PM
Looks good. Adrian Starr will speak in Navy

When it comes to deck plans: one could have double systems (like for first and 2nd pilot on a plane) which enables the same person to do all, but also to split it up in times when you want one to concentrate on flying and need someone with full attention on the com or navigation as well

Lentrax
2012-10-17, 12:27 PM
Sounds good to me, but let's make it a double. :smallwink:

Erasmas
2012-10-17, 01:26 PM
Done!

And Adlan (and the rest of the crew, I suppose) - would it be alright if we had a work-out area? It doesn't have to be anything extravagant, just akin to the weight bench and free weights that they had on Serenity?

Also... reposting pics in here (because the recruitment threads get wiped after so long).


http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v71/Erasmas/Crew-Cole.jpg

Unkabear
2012-10-17, 01:41 PM
Tap will speak in DarkSlateGray

And will take whatever room, most likely a double, whoever is brave enough to bunk with the big man, most likely Morgan, the other ex Alliance who doesn't talk much or Léi Tiě Yì

Perhaps both as the double may have just been taken :smallredface:

Erasmas
2012-10-17, 02:28 PM
Hehehe... I reworked Cole's pic (above).
Everybody check out the emblem on the right breast of his armor.
:smallwink:

I'm so proud of myself.

Space Lawyer
2012-10-17, 02:31 PM
We seem to be missing a shuttle. We need that significantly more than 24 seats of escape pod. We could replace the upper two.

Erasmas
2012-10-17, 02:42 PM
I'm for that.

Unkabear
2012-10-17, 03:10 PM
One thing I notice on the ship, is that either we are always loading at specialized locations like space stations or multi level docks, or loading in space as there is no ground level access to the cargo hold.

Am I just reading this wrong, or is that a feature that I channeling Tap & just am missing?

Adlan
2012-10-17, 03:15 PM
We seem to be missing a shuttle. We need that significantly more than 24 seats of escape pod. We could replace the upper two.

I was hoping someone would catch that. There's another little bonus in there too.

How does two ex Military Cargo Skiffs sound? Able to take off the 25 ton external cargo modules and land them. Added bonus, they are battery charged and act as a heat sink when docked, using the heat to generate power. They came originally

I'll bow out to this groups artistic skill, I must give credit to the creators of the deckplans (I was pretty tired and forgot), they are by K.Mould and D.Malin) so if anyone wants to modify the deck plans, feel free if not I'm happy just relabeling the upper escape pods.

Erasmus: Brilliant, I love it. I really dig the idea of the Long term Crew members wearing a ships patch.

Exercise Area: Keep your weights in the Cargo Bay and be prepared to move them if we need to. They'll probably fit right next to Graces Plants. An Exercise Mat and a Weight Bench or Two, a handy rail to do pull ups on and some dumb bells and you've got an all around gym.

Do we want to Dive right into the IC or will we be wanting to resolve things like shuttles and weight rooms in the OC thread before we begin?

Narmoth
2012-10-17, 03:25 PM
I think it would be nice to play out the first meeting with Adrian, if you want to make a Bushwhacked kind of start scene.
Then we could sort the sleeping and such parallel in the ooc

Space Lawyer
2012-10-17, 03:32 PM
I say replace the lower pods with shuttles (capacity 6 people each, but only two seats, as they usually carry cargo), and expand those bottom level access tubes into a full room. We can use it for cargo space and extra quarters, as well as have access to the pulse engines from inside the ship. Then we remove the upper two pods, giving us access to the fusion engine (which is all kinds of necessary in this universe, seeing as how without it, the ship doesn't move at any kind of reasonable pace).

Lentrax
2012-10-17, 03:46 PM
I'm kinda antsy to start the ic, but I'm happy to sort out shuttles first if we need to.

I also do like the idea of rp'ing our first meeting with Adrian. It would be interesting.

Erasmas
2012-10-17, 03:54 PM
Adlan: Thanks! I thought that would be kinda cool too. And I definitely have no problem stowing away the work-out stuff from time to time when it's needed.

Cgrela: I also think it would be a nice addition for a few "crawl spaces" that allow additional access to the different parts of the ship that is readily visible. And some hidden nooks and crannies, for some of the more "sensitive" cargo we may or may not take on.


But all things considered... I am ready for the IC thread when everybody else is!

Unkabear
2012-10-17, 04:04 PM
I also think it would be a nice addition for a few "crawl spaces" that allow additional access to the different parts of the ship that is readily visible. And some hidden nooks and crannies, for some of the more "sensitive" cargo we may or may not take on.

I know Tap would be happy to have access to the ship thrugh other means than visible :smallcool:

And for beginning RP Bushwacked style...I am game.

Aneurin
2012-10-17, 04:16 PM
I really like the deckplans, particularly the layout of the bridge. It fits nicely with the ex-military theme that goes with the Mantis - though I assume all those roles can be fulfilled by the pilot alone if need be, as the ship's minimum crew is 2.

And I'm fine to start whenever :smallsmile:


Lookin' real shiny, Adlan!

I've got two things I couldn't identify, though: What are the green areas marked "L" and the round ones marked "AH"?

And would the Captain and her human :smallsmile: mind if I set up shop in the 2nd floor cargo module on the far upper right? Figure with them ladders in front of it, it might not be used for big cargo anyway...

Sounds fine to the Cap'n - Jack, too :smalltongue:

The skiffs sound really useful too. Does anyone have Planetary Vehicles trained, though?



Jack (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=451463) will speak in Brown!

Space Lawyer
2012-10-17, 04:48 PM
The skiffs are shuttles, and therefore use the pilot skill. If we have a Mule, that will use the planetary vehicle skill.

Creed
2012-10-17, 04:53 PM
Morgan Blake, ready to roll out!
Sheet:
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=452701

Fluff


Morgan Blake
+++Classified Personal Documents, the Following are Private Property+++

Some remark that I don't say much. Some remark that I am the way I am because I prefer the mystique, the air of sophistication and professionalism. Some remark that I like to play the mysterious stranger. If I could, I would disagree. I don't say much because I have lost the power of speech.
I was born this way. Mute, that is. My muteness began on the planet of Persephone. I was the child that no one wanted. My father was a business executive, and my mother did little aside from bearing his three children, of which I was the eldest and least expected. Despite their careful planning to conceive only two children, a male and a female, I slipped through the cracks in their scheme. My brother, Thompson, became my father's right hand man, living through his shadow. My sister, Maria, was living at home still at the time I was cast out. My family decided, when I was 17, that I would never amount to anything. I said my goodbyes, and enlisted in the Alliance Special Forces. They recognized that I had talent, and that a man captured by the enemy without a voice would offer very little information to the enemy. They made me feel useful, putting me to work with my guns and a squad of 5 other soldiers from similar backgrounds, led by a man named Colonel Marcus Chung. There were 6 of us in all, each of us with our own specialty. Captain, vehicles, infiltration, long-range elimination, assault, and heavy weapons. We were all highly trained, the men sent on missions that every other division of Alliance military were either too smart or too important to take. I only specifically identify Chung because he is the only one of the soldiers I served with who I blame for the atrocities we committed. I will no go into detail, to save those with weak stomachs, but I shudder to think about the innocent lives taken at the barrel of a gun by the six men of that squad.
I don't mean to insinuate that the Alliance is evil, you see. In the time I served, I also know that I put many very, very bad men into the ground. I believe that, were I fighting on the side of the Independents, I could say something very similar. During that war, we all did things that don't sit well with us, to this day. Some of us have things they're glad they didn't. In the end, that's what removed me from the Alliance military. One of our own was wounded, unable to go on. Young made the call, kill him rather than leave him to the Independents. No one would do it. He directed the command, to the coldest, calmest one of us, me. I wouldn't do it. Chung kept yelling at me to do it, to kill him, to leave him for dead so we could retreat. In the end, the only bullet that was fired at one of our own that they came from his gun, the bullet entering my chest. The squad left as four from the field that day, two left for dead on the field. The other man died, bled out. I waited for the gunshots to subside, then left. I didn't know where I was going, except for out.
I hitched rides back to Persephone. It was firm ground, at least. I had no where else to run to. It was there that I discovered that I had been framed, then erased. I suppose I should explain. I don't care to elaborate on how I know the following, but I will share with you the essentials.
Upon return to his superiors, Chung detailed how I had betrayed them. How I had killed every member of the squad, Chung himself barely being able to shoot me down before fleeing for his life. To this day, I'm not sure how the Colonel killed off the rest of our squad. Officially, I was removed from the records, a ghost. I was a brand on Alliances Special Forces, so every record of my existence was snuffed out in the cover up.
I tried to return home, but my father and mother wouldn't have me, saying that I risked bringing dishonor on them. Thompson told me the real truth of why the didn't want me around: they had sold Maria off. Father had been cornered and blackmailed by a local crime-lord who called himself Icarus. The payment: Maria and an outrageous sum of money. I was done. I spent a week finding the hideout of the crime-lord, then stormed his safe house. I killed every one of the hit-men and guards in the compound, then found Icarus, caught in the act of defiling my sister. He begged for his life, but I showed no mercy. I blew his brains all over the carpet. I had to leave, and there was no chance that Maria was returning to our family after what had happened. She isn't a great help in a fight, but she can keep her wits about her, as long as there isn't a handsome boy around and the fire doesn't flare up. I try to take care of her, despite any protests she may rally. Deep down, I think she knows that I only want what's best for her, unlike her father.


Personality Profile and Appearance:
Morgan Blake is, by all standards, physically unremarkable. He stands just over 6 feet, weighing in slightly on the thin side, which is not uncommon for folk this far out in the verse. His hair is thick, ragged, and black, his bangs dipping past his forehead and the back reaching halfway down his neck, the sides covering his ears. He has a small scar on his upper left chest, where he was shot my his former commanding officer. He dresses, when out of combat, in an assortment of t-shirts and jeans, along with one of two coats: one brown leather, in the style of the Independents, the other a long black duster. No matter what he's wearing, he wears black Alliance Combat boots. When he expects combat, he loads up into his tactical suit, a piece of armor he was wearing when left for dead by his Spec Ops squad. He carries an assortment of guns, and is always armed, even if it is just his dangerous fists. Aside from those, he often straps a katana to his back, along with a rifle, tucks a derringer into his boot, and straps half a dozen pistols to his body, two in shoulder holsters, two more on his belt, and two more in holsters inside each of his coats, which he usually dual wields. Sometimes, he will also carry a double-barreled shotgun inside his coat.
Blake is a ruthless warrior that seems to feel no emotion that remotely resembles fear. If it was called for, Blake would stand toe to toe with a group of Reavers, unarmed, without fear. He would give his life for those who get close enough to him, namely his sister, as shown by his persecution of the gangster Icarus and his thugs. If anyone insults his family or comrades, Blake will require little encouragement to start shooting and breaking bones.


Maria Blake:
Despite her tendency to deny it, Maria is highly dependent on her older brother. She was not raised with any sort of future in mind, and was not permitted to attend higher education after being sold to the gangster Icarus as a prostitute and 'companion'. She appears as an attractive young woman with long black hair and green eyes very similar to Morgan's, making it easy to note that the two are related. She is thin, and of moderate height, and usually wears tight jeans and shirts, much to the disapproval of her overly-protective brother, who often makes her wear a large, brown, Independent style coat when she leaves the ship. On Maria's right shoulder blade is a tattoo of a featureless, winged man, the mark of her former owner, Icarus. She is calm and confident in most situations, but tends to act irrationally when confronted by attractive boys (or, in one case, girls), being a bit of a flirt (a trait that originally attracted the unwanted attention of Icarus), and she is quick to panic when violence rears it's ugly head. In short, she is the polar opposite of Morgan.
Quick Crunch of Traits:
Allure (Major)

Amorous (Minor)
Combat Paralysis (Major)
Memorable (Minor)
Soft (Minor)
Idealist (Minor)
Rebellious (Minor)


And I think he'll speak in... Wait... nevermind

:smallfrown::smalltongue:

Sunfall
2012-10-17, 05:37 PM
Oh good, you're all here :smallbiggrin:

Grace Willows (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=452492)
(Let's just leave out the Ph.D. for now, savvy? :smalltongue:)

http://imageshack.us/a/img231/498/gracewillows01.jpg

Appearance and Demeanor
As a lady in her fifties, Grace surely is a sight to behold. With her grey flyaway curls and her lined face, it's not hard to believe that she comes from the Rim. She's always dressed in baggy bib overalls, with an open flannel working shirt on top and a black top underneath that's so faded it might as well be grey.

Her practical brown hands can work true wonders with seeds and soil - and she's not a bad cook, either. Vital and sun-tanned, mild-mannered and full of sweet serenity, she serves as the calm and soul of the crew. She is pacifist to the point that she will not carry a weapon apart from maybe a protein fork at dinner time.

Grace obviously has had an eventful life and seems to enjoy a bit of peace and quiet as her years progress. You will often find her deep in thought, the cobweb of wrinkles on her weathered face distorted into a distant frown. But speak to her, and the wrinkles will form a warm smile instead, always ready to listen to your woes and worries, all the while those experienced hands are working away, giving care to living things.

History (Spoilers!)
Grace Willows was born on Shadow 52 years ago. From early age on, she was fascinated by all things living around her, and soon it became evident that Grace was a child prodigy. As soon as she had learned to read, she started to virtually teach herself the solutions to all the world’s secrets that intrigued her so. Barely out of the decrepit primary school the farming planet offered, she knew more about natural sciences than many grown-ups on her small world.

Her parents, who were fairly wealthy, finally faced the truth that their daughter had to be educated in earnest should she ever be able to gain a profession that truly suited her talents and wishes. With a heavy heart, they sent her off to the Core to enroll at the best school they could afford. Grace surprised with nearly full marks in the entrance examination’s science column but almost failed the expression and writing part. The school took her in and some years later, with top marks in earth and life sciences, she was sent on to university on Ariel.

Grace excelled at university, concentrating on the fields of biology and geology. After her degree, she enrolled in the research department of the Alliance-run university and became one of the leading botanists and experts for post-terraforming cultivation. Her doctoral thesis revolutioned the scientific approach of flora development. She undertook many journeys to terraforming facilities, witnessing herself the effects of her work. There still is no greater pleasure for Grace than to walk barefoot through grass or woodland that no-one’s foot seems to have touched yet. Nevertheless she also reveled in the expertly groomed parks of Ariel, and gardening - tending things growing - has remained her greatest passion ever since.

Grace had been working quite a time on a formula that would be able to genetically influence crop after it had already been planted (to make it more suited to a fast-changing environment) when her work turned out as something quite the opposite: The substance started to do horrible things to plants and animals, violently mutating them until they were no longer capable of living. Grace was horror-stricken and put a stop to any experiments, meaning to close the file forever, when the Alliance expressed interest into the substance - for military purposes.

Grace denied that there could be any strategic use for a biological weapon as devastating as this and quashed any more requests. Then Unification War broke loose, and Grace found it increasingly difficult to concentrate on her work. She eventually took unpaid leave and travelled to the Border planets, fleeing the War. She did not return to Shadow, although she stayed in contact with her parents who, despite their age, were moonlighting as active Browncoat supporters. But Grace couldn't bring herself to join the war against her former employers. Little did she know about the huge role she would nevertheless play in it.

Because in the meantime, a new inquiry from the Alliance reached Grace’s laboratory at the university, requesting disclosure of her work on the genetic crop serum. Without Grace being present, research documentary and testing samples were handed over without any delay.

The formula played an essential role in the devastation of Shadow and only when all was lost, Grace finally learned that it had been her work that had destroyed her home world. Until today, Grace has never been able to overcome the guilt and self-reproach of having destroyed a whole world and everything that lived on it - including her own family (she keeps forgetting that severe Alliance bombing is to blame there, too). Until today, she still has nightmares of the destruction of Shadow and her parents dying, putting the blame on her.

Grace never returned to the university. She had earned a considerable amount of cred while working in one of the Core’s leading research institutions, and now spent the biggest part of it to get any data on her career or research erased from the Cortex. The Alliance, of course, still owns an exhaustive file on her. They have been issuing frequent job offers in their military research labs, but, horrified, Grace has declined every single one of them. They keep sending headhunters and high-ranking scientist colleagues after her, trying to persuade her.

Grace has taken to a nomadic life, now and then settling in some god-forsaken spot on a planet of the Rim, packing up her things and moving on when they manage to spot her again. Quite involuntarily, she thus finds herself with an impressing list of contacts among the powerful, living off the dwindling rest of her ill-gotten earnings. Just now, Grace has again left the beloved planetary soil to try hiding aboard a ship - a moving target supposed to ensure her at least some peace of mind for the time being...

Questions (moderately spoilery...)
1. What's your character's greatest accomplishment / fondest memory?
Obtaining her doctorate from a Core university. Made her parents sooo proud and had her really believe for a moment there that she'd found the place in the 'Verse where she belonged.

2. What's your character's worst nightmare?
Shadow. It already happened, and it comes back to her every night ever since. She never saw it for herself, but her imagination runs wild from what she saw happen on the test fields and from pictures of how her home planet looks now. It replays the catastrophe every night for her in 3D and surround sound, showing her what happened while she cowardly and selfishly hid on the Rim.

3. What're your character's views on the other side, whichever side that is?
They're not to be trusted. Ever. Again. They'll take the best you've got to give (or the worst) and turn it into their own power and gain on the backs of innocent people. And they'll make it so that it will always, always be your fault.

4. On a scale from 1 to genocide, how far would your character be willing to go to get what he/she wants?
...half a point? Grace would have to be pushed really hard to even pick up a weapon, lest fire one. It really, really pushed (say, if loved ones/her new family were involved), she might not be above threatening, but I don't think she would really dare to desecrate any more life that she already has.

5. On a scale from 1 to death, how much would your character be willing to sacrifice to protect his/her interests and/or the others?
Despite her outward warmth and cheerfulness, Grace doesn't hold her own life very dearly. She's old, her life and everything she strove for is over (and how). If a loved one is in danger, she will consider her life less valuable.

6. Is there anyone in the 'Verse who wants your character dead? If so, who / what organization(s) / how badly?
Hmmm... There might be other people who have Shadow to avenge... If such a someone really found the connection between Grace's research and Shadow's end... And she couldn't even blame them.

7. What is your character working for? (Money, fame, adventure, survival, etc.)
Grace is done being selfish. She has so much to atone for. Her last refuge is to find pleasure in tending to growing things. Helping in small ways. Give the misfits she's fallen in with a bit of a home, a bit of comfort, a bit of advice. Every bit probably helps balance out the horrible things her insatiable mind has done to the 'Verse. Grace knows she cannot ever again be trusted with power over great things. So what else is there... than the little things?

Hopefully the Alliance will let her do that in gorram peace.

Grace's speech color is Dark Red.

I'm not entirely averse to starting right away... :smallsmile:

(@Erasmas: Nice Pic!)

Erasmas
2012-10-17, 07:13 PM
Thanks!

Thank you for the use of the symbol (guess I should'be asked first, huh)?

Adlan
2012-10-17, 07:43 PM
One thing I notice on the ship, is that either we are always loading at specialized locations like space stations or multi level docks, or loading in space as there is no ground level access to the cargo hold.

Am I just reading this wrong, or is that a feature that I channeling Tap & just am missing?


Firefly is an Antigrav capable culture. Little Kaylee and an Antigrav shift can move tons of cargo with simple pulleys and chains. Without the limitations of gravity (and the ship will come with all the gear, second hand maybe but everything to operate), a 2nd story loading bay becomes security, rather than an impossibility.

And you have the external squares, which are cargobays you can load or unload in space. You can even refit them to take shuttles, though that's expensive.


hope that helps

Sunfall
2012-10-18, 01:52 AM
And you have the external squares, which are cargobays you can load or unload in space.

But they're usually pressured, right? 'Cause the usual entrances have airlocks? I don't need much for my greenhouse, but air's kind of necessary... :smallwink:

(@Erasmas: Naaw, it's OK - it's what I've made them for. Creative Commons an' all...)

Adlan
2012-10-18, 03:43 AM
But they're usually pressured, right? 'Cause the usual entrances have airlocks? I don't need much for my greenhouse, but air's kind of necessary... :smallwink:

(@Erasmas: Naaw, it's OK - it's what I've made them for. Creative Commons an' all...)

yeah, they are normally pressured. I thought your plants were in the main cargo bay, next to/under the stairs and exercise gear though?

Sunfall
2012-10-18, 03:50 AM
I rather thought of that 25 ton module on the far upper right - the one where you have to go under the stairs to get in. With an enclosed space being better for humidity and all...

Adlan
2012-10-18, 03:57 AM
I rather thought of that 25 ton module on the far upper right - the one where you have to go under the stairs to get in. With an enclosed space being better for humidity and all...

Sure, whatever you prefer. I'd be worried about it being cut off from the life-support system, It needs CO2 and locked behind an airlock it could use up all it has.

Sunfall
2012-10-18, 05:08 AM
Hmmm, yes, thought about that, too. For a start, you could just leave the air lock open, couldn't you? And then there's the possibility of somehow running the air filtering systems by it, effectively feeding CO2 into it. But I guess a modification like that really would take time...

Or maybe I just use the banged-up old cargo container after all, put it in the cargo hold, tuck it into a corner and be done with it :smalltongue: It would be open all the time anyway...

Unkabear
2012-10-18, 08:33 AM
And we will get some great looks when we are stopped by the Alliance when they come across it & begin to question us...and we defend our little garden in space as fresh fruit is worth the fight.

Lentrax
2012-10-18, 08:57 AM
Didn't you know, that that's why the independents went to war?

Fresh food, not all that junk processed by Blue Sun. Course most of the gardens and farms got wrecked all to heck in the War...

Sunfall
2012-10-18, 09:15 AM
Ship gardens are not that uncommon, really. This one's just a bit bigger than usual. Aaand, unlike probably some other things on board, it's not against the law.

Hmmm, I wonder how often Alliance officers get fresh produce aboard their ships. Maybe some tomatoes might sway some minds :smallbiggrin:

Erasmas
2012-10-18, 09:19 AM
"They ain't getting my gorram taters!"

Yes! I just combined Firefly and Lord of the Rings into a single line of dialogue. I have won the internets and can die a happy man.

Unkabear
2012-10-18, 09:22 AM
The trouble is, I don't think that they would just accept a bribe, if they wanted it, they would just take everything. More reasons why Tap has been content with this discontent crew.

Sunfall
2012-10-18, 10:07 AM
Who's talking about bribes? Honest offering out of the goodness of my motherly heart might sway quite a few minds. Them violet uniforms make the poor mites look sooo pale and malnourished, don't ya think? :smallbiggrin:

Erasmas
2012-10-18, 10:53 AM
Yeah... and who knows, maybe one or two of 'em might choke on a peach pit.
If we're lucky.

Lentrax
2012-10-18, 11:49 AM
Those purplebelly uniforms ain't good for much other than covering the yella color their bellies really are.

Space Lawyer
2012-10-18, 12:17 PM
Lei smiles."Can't we all just get along?"

Aneurin
2012-10-18, 12:42 PM
Yeah... and who knows, maybe one or two of 'em might choke on a peach pit.
If we're lucky.

That's 'cause the grenades cost extra :smalltongue:

Lentrax
2012-10-18, 01:52 PM
Only for us common folk. The alliance boys get their gear given to them.

Some if us tried to give it back, but you know how that turned out.

Erasmas
2012-10-18, 02:26 PM
I think all this role playing might be indicative.

Mayhaps... we are ready for the IC thread after all?
:smallwink:

Creed
2012-10-18, 04:56 PM
I agree. Let's get this ship in the air!

Adlan
2012-10-18, 05:01 PM
You asked for it:IC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14072770#post14072770)


I am beginning this by setting up the final chronological event of the episode, it is now your job as players to ensure at the end of this episode everyone is in the dining room, ready to talk to the Doc and her Patient. :smallbiggrin:

I hope this works for you guys, I know it's a little out of the norm, if it helps, watch 'Trash', because that's where the idea originates.

After this short Dining room scene, we will jump back to finding the derelict.

PS: Can people please post links to pictures of their characters? Or to an Actor you are willing to have count as your character? If they are already in the OC thread, don't worry about it.

Creed
2012-10-18, 07:35 PM
An... actor?
Crap, always have trouble with this.
For a placeholder, let's go for a young, black-haired Paul Bettany:


http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0079273/


Now, who can put together Bettany's connection to the original Firefly?:smalltongue:

Voltaire
2012-10-18, 07:46 PM
***

Name:
Stirling 'Shooter' Young (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=457676)

Background:

Mah name is Stirling. But they call me 'Shooter', see? You can call me Shooter, too. Yessir, I'm a bona fide pistolero. A rough riding son of a gun! Betcha ten creds I can shoot your hat off your head without taking a hair. No? Well, anyways, I was born on Ezra, in Georgia system. Mah family used to own a lot of land up in them parts. Freeholders, as you like. But, you see, mah daddy had a bit of a temper and a bit of a problem with gamblin'. You could say he wasn't one for the crops, you could. So, uhh, a couple of years ago he pulled on some no good sumabitch up in Danesport. That no good sumabitch then killed mah daddy. Don't righly know if he was expecting me to catch up with him, but he seemed surprised enough when I put a few holes in his shirt. Too bad for him he was wearin' it, at the time.

To cut a long story short - and you gotta know, I really hate long stories - turns out that God damned fool was the second youngest Cleary brother. Just mah luck. On Ezra, you see, it's not wrong to kill the man who killed your daddy. But you better make damned sure who you're dancing the dance with, or things could get a lil' awkward. So, a week later momma gets a knock on the door, and this portly gentleman sits us all down and tells us we owe twenty grand for George Cleary. And he gives us two weeks to cough it up. You know how much our farm brought in every week? Thirty damn dollars. On my daddy's eternal soul, I ain't lyin'. Thirty dollars. What was I supposed to do? I told that gentleman exactly what the situation was, and he just shakes his head.

Then he gives us a your-money-or-your-life-and-farm type deal. If I didn't know it was going to bite me and mine squarely in the ass, and if momma wasn't givin' me the ol' stinkeye, I woulda' buried that horse's ass right then and there. Momma says I'm hot blooded, like daddy. I take that as a right compliment. Still, out of respect to her I tried to reason with the man. No go, he says. Fast-forward a bit, and we're sellin' the whole kit and kaboodle. All those God damned acres of good land. That land was in my family for three generations. You're damned right I was upset! Shoot, I confess I made a scene or two. And hell, we only got six grand. Six grand for a few lifetimes of work! Anyway, the fat sumabitch takes every penny and then tells me he gots a way to settle the rest of the account. I listen, 'cause I ain't got no choice in the matter.

Ma', my younger brother Mort and my little sister Jeanie get to stay in the Jameson compound, if I come to work for them. They was the employer of the Cleary brothers, you see. I work, they deduct a bit from the debt, and eventually everythin' would be okay. They'd even take care of the bad blood with the Clearys. So I tell 'em 'fine', and one thing leads to another, and I'm doin' all sorts of busywork for Henry Jameson. In those two years I learned a few things: how to shoot proper, how to find a man needs findin' and basic maths. You see, that debt was never going away, at the rate they was makin' it smaller.

It, uhh... It... took a while... to decide what to do about everythin'.

By the time I was done decidin', DAMNED fool that I am, momma and Jeanie was dead. Reaver raid. At least I know they died from fire and not... you know. Mort, I don't know about. God damn it... I don't know. I hope to the Almighty he died right.

After... after all that... I told Henry Jameson exactly what I thought of our deal. He told me there was no reneggin', so I shot him and James Cleary. Wasn't in the mood for their foolin', and momma wasn't around to give me the evil eye when I done wrong anymore. Right after that, I started runnin'. Haven't looked back since. Been bouncin' round the 'verse, lookin' for something steady. You hirin'?

Appearance:

If I was to describe mah self, I'd say about yay tall and built like a Fireburg after the harvest. Does that help? I don't know. Six foot tall, a hundred eighty odd pounds. Short brown hair, brown eyes. A couple of little scars on the face. Don't mind those, they're just for the ladies. Oh, and momma always said I have a right 'royal nose'. I don't know what that means, but I hope it's good. I surely do.

Photo of Stirling

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae234/TheConanism/young_guns2_emilio1_zps70197103.jpg

Seven Questions

1. What's your character's greatest accomplishment / fondest memory?

Aww, hell, I don't know. I suppose there was that one time back on Ezra when I won the regional boxing tourney. That was nice. Mah daddy told me he couldn't of been prouder, and momma just had that look in her eyes. You could tell she was happy, and she didn't even have to smile. Later, I found out daddy had put some money down on me winnin', and he took us all to a fancy restaurant in Sharpestead. I ate like a right pig. Daddy got pretty drunk, and we made right fools of ourselves. Next day, he used the last of the money to put me up in a whorehouse for the night. Best seventeenth birthday any boy could wish for, yessir. Don't think momma was best pleased, though.

Oh, and I suppose when I got mah first gun; that was pretty swell, too. Some people say a dog's man's best friend. I think it's a gun.

2. What's your character's worst nightmare?

Boy, you sure are one to ask some hard questions! Mah worst nightmare? Shucks. Well, you know, I do have this dream, where I'm about to punch some holes in some sumabitch, and I'm standing there all business like, ready to go. Suddenly he goes for his piece, I go for mine - as I am wont to do in such situations - when my hand hits naked thigh. I wasn't even wearing no pants! So he shoots me, and I'm all like 'Man, where are my pants? What did you do with my pants?' Really freaked me out, man. I get that dream sometimes, still. And I've never got my pants on! Isn't that something?! What kind of man would go gunfightin' with no pants?

3. What're your character's views on the other side, whichever side that is?

What are we talkin' 'bout here? The War? Aww, ****, I don't care. You know, back home on Ezra, we didn't spend too much time thinkin' about the damned fools who wore the purple, or the even sorrier ones who wore the brown. We was too busy gettin' by. We was gettin' raided left right and center. Reavers, pirates, plain old *******s... whatever you want! Some folk have too much time on their hands. We had livestock to look after and crops to grow. Alliance didn't bother us none, for what it's worth. I don't think they gave a damn about Ezra. And I don't rightly blame them, to be sure.

4. On a scale from 1 to genocide, how far would your character be willing to go to get what he/she wants?


Geno-what? Listen here, if it comes down to you standin' between me and mah dream of retiring rich enough to spend the rest of mah happy, fat days in a high-end whorehouse, brother, that's no choice at all. I'd make you look like that funny cheese. You know the one. With the holes. Swizz? Is it Swizz? Whatever, man. All I know is that a man's got one thing in this world: his dreams. You can take away just about everythin' else, but when you're after a man's dreams, he's liable to kill you for a damn fool. You're not after mah dreams, are you boy? I'm jus' kiddin'. Relax.

Or maybe I'm not!

... Naw, I am, relax.

5. On a scale from 1 to death, how much would your character be willing to sacrifice to protect his/her interests and/or the others?

More than some, less than all. Listen, man, I'm just a hired gun from the cornfields of Ezra. What's with the questions? You got someone in need of shooting, I'm your man. You want to talk about 'sacrifice'? Go find some fool browncoat, or somethin'. I'm done sacrificin'. I heard from my uncle Bron that some general once said 'No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country, he won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his'. I like that. It says that I don't have to die, as long as I kill you. Not you-you. The other guy-you. That's what I'm willin' to sacrifice. You. The other guy-you. Bang, bang.

6. Is there anyone in the 'Verse who wants your character dead? If so, who / what organization(s) / how badly?

Well, I've got two Clearys to my name, now. And a Jameson or two. I suppose they might want mah ass under packed earth. Lord willin', I'll send 'em all there first. It's nothin' personal for me, you understand, but I rightly disagree with any notion that I deserve to die for any reason. I've got too much left to do, still, you see. Like get rich, get fat and carouse mah last years away. With a couple of fine ass girls beside me, if you don't mind. It's the little things, you know.

7. What is your character working for? (Money, fame, adventure, survival, etc.)

What am I workin' for? Boy, ain't you been listening? Let me number it off for you, man: money, alcohol and women. The order don't really matter. I hear some people have 'ideals' they'd die for. Come on, man. Do I look like a fool? Actually, shut up. Mah momma didn't raise no fool.

Unkabear
2012-10-18, 09:28 PM
Pic
http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp268/raikenclw/TheDistrict/Characters/TAP_edited-1-1-1.jpg

Background
During the War Tap was a young up and coming Alliance Mechanic. He was good looking, and had a skill with the machines. About halfway through the war Tap was assigned to a small outpost on Beylix supporting a small security force there, mainly keeping the Independents from raiding the scrap yards.

One day while tap was repairing a cruiser something happened, one of the liquid nitrogen tanks did not correctly drain before he began working & burst spraying him taking an eye and an arm. The doctors available did what they could, Tap would never look the same again, but having a great resource of material to work from Tap was fitted with what he would quickly laud as great assets, a new cybernetic eye and arm.

In the final days of the war, Tap was shipped back to a capital ship, where upon review the top brass presented him with an ultimatum. Replace the cybernetic implants with new high end less conspicuous models that would have him looking normal again, or leave with a dishonorable discharge.

Caring more about what advantages his arm and eye offered him he figured that no matter his looks, he could get by on his skill alone, and set out to find a ship and keep her flying.


7
1. What's your character's greatest accomplishment / fondest memory? Tap once took an Interceptor that was brought in after a terrible battle and crash landing. He only had a week and half of his usual supplies, yet two days early it was out the door. He had to re-rout several routines and the new fuel system was nothing short of genius offering a 15% speed boost for only a 5% increased fuel cost. The guidance system had to be….

2. What's your character's worst nightmare? Being the mechanic on a ship with a Capison 38 engine and required to actually keep the thing flying farther than the nearest spaceport. That and giving up his arm for an inferior one that looks normal but doesn't offer him the same benefit.

3. What're your character's views on the other side, whichever side that is? Tap was Alliance, but he really didn't care about sides, the Alliance were able to put him into bays that were fully stocked, and he had ships to repair until the cows come home. He would have been just as satisfied doing this work wearing a brown coat.

4. On a scale from 1 to genocide, how far would your character be willing to go to get what he/she wants? Tap is not one to hurt another in search of his goals. Really he could wait, there is always need of a mechanic, and one that is willing to go where he is wanted, looks or not.

5. On a scale from 1 to death, how much would your character be willing to sacrifice to protect his/her interests and/or the others? Don't hurt his ship! DO NOT HURT HIS SHIP! If you want to see Tap angry & willing to cause harm, hurting his ship would be the one thing to do to wake the sleeping giant.

6. Is there anyone in the 'Verse who wants your character dead? If so, who / what organization(s) / how badly? In boot Tap made an enemy. Some punk from a wealthy family on Ariel who thought to put their kid in the military "for the experience". Reginald was not even a semi decent mechanic, he had bought the rest of his troop off to let him shine, often even doing his work allowing him to take all the credit. Tap had made the mistake once of not deferring to Reginald, this began to unravel his structure and ended with Reginald being sent to the front. Reginald survived, and never forgot the Giant that caused his career to be less prestigious, even by a small amount.

7. What is your character working for? (Money, fame, adventure, survival, etc.) Tap works because it is all he knows. He knows machines, and his father if nothing else gave Tap a strong work ethic. Tap works because he doesn't know how not to, and there is no shortage of ships that need a decent mechanic.

Sunfall
2012-10-19, 01:04 AM
How do we handle the Chinese parts? I'm afraid to say, cgrela, writing them in Chinese is a mite confusing. Could you mayhap include footnotes of what they mean?

Maybe that would be a good idea for the transcripted Chinese, too. I always need quite some time to look it all up...

Lentrax
2012-10-19, 05:03 AM
http://www.blackwyrmlair.net/~chevar/Portraits/JPG/F0283L.jpg

Dr. Sia Ling. Familiar with all the parts of the human anatomy. And not afraid to mess around with them. Or their owners.

Background:
Alliance Rehabilition Facility 03KG
Inmate 228F43: Ling, Sia Ann
Psychological profile

Sia is very emotional, prone to outbursts when things go wrong. She is also accustomed to using a vocabulary that is unexpected, given her education level. Having graduated in the top five percent of her MedAcad, Sia demonstrated great aptitude in medicine, which she chose to leave behind to persue a romantic interest.

From conversation, she seems to have difficulty recalling if she chose to head Rimward, or if she was coerced. The speculations of the profiler are that she was not in control of her emotional state at the time, and that she was addicted to her lover's personality.

However, that liaison ended when the Unification war began. Sia started as a Lietenant in the Independent's MediCorps. Treating bullet wounds, shrapnel, and gas damage became her life. Then according to her, "my world ended."*

Her med station was targeted by an Alliance frigate, and nearly everyone was killed, including her superiors, leaving her with the grisly task of triaging her coworkers, as well as the troops still coming in for their own injuries.

She had just started working on a young man who probably didn't have 5 minutes left in the Verse, when she heard a woman's voice calling out her name. The voice was familiar, but she couldn't stop working to see who it was. Putting it out of her mind, Sia kept operating. After the young man died, she went and found the source of the voice. It turned out it was her partner, Mei-Jing. She was lying on a table, and the field medics had sorted her into the 'Expectant' category. The woman had lost both legs and an arm. Sia watched, helpless as Mei-Jing died in front of her. She still refers to that the 'worst half hour of my life. I lost a patient, and the love of my life, all in the span of a hundred heartbeats.' Tears running down her face, Sia went back to her Immediate level patients.

Which is when Alliance troops captured that portion of Serenity Valley. They continued to let Sia operate, but made it clear that the survivors would be processed as POWs. She also noted how most of her critical cases were now Alliance troops, and many of her compatriots had been moved to a different list.

Namely, Expectant.

7 questions:
1. What's your character's greatest accomplishment / fondest memory?
Rising from poverty to be one of the top Doctors on Ariel.

2. What's your character's worst nightmare?
Serenity Valley. Losing my love, and her friends has left deep scars on my soul.

3. What're your character's views on the other side, whichever side that is?
The Alliance? I hate them. They want to rule everyone, even those who don't want it. I don't mind rules. People need rules. They don't need to be mindless.

4. On a scale from 1 to genocide, how far would your character be willing to go to get what he/she wants?
I'd say about a six. I mean I'd go pretty far, but genocide? That's a mite extreme ain't it?

5. On a scale from 1 to death, how much would your character be willing to sacrifice to protect his/her interests and/or the others?
I'm *more than willing to risk myself for others, but I know that I'm more valuable to the others patchin' em up than bein' all corpsified and gross.

6. Is there anyone in the 'Verse who wants your character dead? If so, who / what organization(s) / how badly?
Alliance probably. They really don't like those as won't follow their rules.

7. What is your character working for? (Money, fame, adventure, survival, etc.)
I'm just tryin' to make my way in the 'Verse. Helping folk where I can, surviving, you know.

Space Lawyer
2012-10-19, 05:52 AM
How do we handle the Chinese parts? I'm afraid to say, cgrela, writing them in Chinese is a mite confusing. Could you mayhap include footnotes of what they mean?

Maybe that would be a good idea for the transcripted Chinese, too. I always need quite some time to look it all up...

Sorry about that. I'll be sure include a translation from now on.

So, I'm thinking we're heading to Persephone. It seems to be the best place to acquire work.

Adlan
2012-10-19, 06:06 AM
Sorry about that. I'll be sure include a translation from now on.

So, I'm thinking we're heading to Persephone. It seems to be the best place to acquire work.

Your destination is eventually Regina, but for now you are headed to a comet to pick up some cargo and passangers.

This Evening I'll post the closer to this opening scene, and we'll have a time step (backwards) to discovering the Derelict.

Erasmas
2012-10-19, 12:32 PM
And just so to follow suite (and make sure it is accessible and all in one place):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v71/Erasmas/Crew-Cole.jpg

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=452539

Growing up so far from the core seemed to be somewhat of a blessing in Cole's upbringing. And while Athens was on the fringes of "civilized" space, it wasn't as backwater as most planets. For the most part, decent folk lived there... carving out a living in honest ways, earning a living out where the grip of the Alliance might be a little less... constraining than for some elsewheres.

What's more, when war broke out it seemed as though Athens might avoid gettin tangled up in the mess all together. That was until an underground base of operations was established in support of the Browncoats. Eventually, this lead to the Alliance bombing several of the major cities, in search of the hidden base. However, this only fueled support for the side of the rebellion, as civilian targets were hit just as hard as anything else. And that was when Cole became involved.

Cole had been scrappin and fightin his way through life since he was nothing but arms and legs. As for shootin, well... that was just a part of life living on a farm; and he was decent at it too. So when the opportunity came to make pay at it, he jumped at the chance without a second thought. And when guns and important cargo needed escortin, Cole found himself asked along as extra muscle. Sometimes this required a little bit of actin like someone he wasn't... which Cole took a little bit of twisted pleasure away from.

But some things just ain't meant to be and when the smoke finally cleared, Cole didn't find himself standing on the shiny side of the coin. So now, he found himself without real employment and a mighty powerful itch to shoot somethin. Trouble is... the Alliance isn't too keen on so much allowing that. What's a boy from Athens to do?

The Seven:

1. What's your character's greatest accomplishment / fondest memory?
I once shot the cherry off of a man's ci-gar while he was galloping across me on his mare... that count?

2. What's your character's worst nightmare?
I don't like pot roast.

3. What're your character's views on the other side, whichever side that is?
I don't reckon I know what the "other side" is... but I guess if they're willing to point their gun at me, then I'd do the same.

4. On a scale from 1 to genocide, how far would your character be willing to go to get what he/she wants?
I take what's due me, but I ain't greedy.

5. On a scale from 1 to death, how much would your character be willing to sacrifice to protect his/her interests and/or the others?
Well... I ain't scart of dyin none, but if I do... I don't imagine my interests would matter much. I think I'd rather hold on to them and just shoot the other fella instead.

6. Is there anyone in the 'Verse who wants your character dead? If so, who / what organization(s) / how badly?
I expect the Alliance is pretty sore about a couple of the tangles we've had 'fore. Maybe a few kun whu moa that I had to knock their heads together. I can't say I got any of their names though.

7. What is your character working for? (Money, fame, adventure, survival, etc.)
Money's nice... always seems like there ain't enough of it to settle what I owe... so I guess that'd be it.

Narmoth
2012-10-19, 01:58 PM
I'm a bit late to the party, but that's the result of living in gmt+1 and busy schedule this week

Narmoth
2012-10-19, 02:34 PM
I'm a bit confused on where everyone are. I thought everyone, including the doc and Adrian were in the dining area?

Shadow_Elf
2012-10-19, 02:45 PM
My thread subscription to the recruitment thread doesn't update for two days, and I miss the OC thread going up! Will take some time now to catch up on missed stuff, just wanted to post this ASAP to let y'all know I'm still interested in playing.

Erasmas
2012-10-19, 03:06 PM
Narmoth: Lentrax's post just before yours said that she was wheeling you back to the medical bay. I just assumed that your speech was given retroactively, while you were still in the dining room.

Shadow: Welcome! Hopefully we didn't leave too much for you to have to sift through so that you can get to playing quickly.

Shadow_Elf
2012-10-19, 03:14 PM
If Gregoire were to be played by an actor, it would be Hugh Laurie. Any picture in Google images would do, but probably the best representation would be one with minimal stubble; he's mostly clean-shaven. I'll port his character summary over here a little later, including his fixed-up sheet, but I will jump into the IC thread now.

Aneurin
2012-10-19, 05:21 PM
:smalleek:

This is taking off fast!

...Uh, IC post up soon. Sorry it's so late, but I only got in about half an hour ago.


EDIT: Picture will be sorted tomorrow. Sorry for a fairly poor IC post, but today's been way too long.

Adlan
2012-10-19, 06:44 PM
:smalleek:

This is taking off fast!

...Uh, IC post up soon. Sorry it's so late, but I only got in about half an hour ago.


EDIT: Picture will be sorted tomorrow. Sorry for a fairly poor IC post, but today's been way too long.

I kinda took your depp reference and ran with it. Please make sure you all click the link, it's just to a YT video, but I hope you will all approve, even if I took some liberties.

Remember, it's now two days ago.

Whoever is manning the sensors, you detect something on the edges of the shipping lane. it's worth checking out with a full sensor sweep anyway.
And unless we decide we want to go totally freeform, I'd suggest it's a Ships Agility +whoever is at the controls relevent skills to see what they can deduce from their sensors read out.

Creed
2012-10-19, 08:16 PM
I think I want to take this opportunity to say this:
Adlan, I love you. That intro is seriously the coolest thing I've ever seen.
Have the internet. All of it.

Space Lawyer
2012-10-19, 08:24 PM
I'll be using ships perception + my alertness to find something, then tech-use + intelligence to see if I can figure out what it is.
I hereby second Creed's motion for Adlan to have all the Internet for that intro. Seriously, good work. Although, now we know what you look like, Adlan. bum-bum-BUUUUMMMM!

Lentrax
2012-10-19, 10:21 PM
Why have you not taken the internets yet? You should take them.

Seriously though. This should be fun. I hope you enjoyed my character intro.

Also, if it helps I have also describe my character to Erasmus as looking like Kahlan from the Legend of the Seeker.

Shadow_Elf
2012-10-19, 10:49 PM
Absolutely love the episode intro, Adlan. As others have stated, you win.

Here's Greg's character summary, including some spoilered information that I had previously only given to Adlan in PMs. Read if you want, but I think it's better if you don't; figured I'd follow Sunfall's example with Grace and put it here with a warning.

Gregoire Reaufort (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=235048)

Backstory:
Gregoire was born on Aberdeen to Henri and Michelle Reaufort, some thirty-two years ago. As a child, he did not play with toy guns as most of his peers did; the toys he liked best were stones and hay, leaves and chunks of bark. Each stone would represent a soldier, each leaf a battlement. He used hay to plot line of attack, and bark and large stones served as ships and artillery. Soon, he began envision elaborate space battles, and as a teenager, he took a strong liking to chess and other strategic board games. He also began orchestrating fake battles between his friends; none of them took to giving out orders as well as he did.

When the Unification War broke out, Greg enlisted immediately. However, it quickly became evident that he could not fire a gun to literally save his life; distressed squad mates frequently found themselves pulling the useless Greg out of firefights on the retreat. His commanding officer was beginning to get angry at Greg's inability. Unfortunately, before that frustration could come to a head, Lieutenant Barnes was killed in action. Without the lieutenant, the squads were in disarray; the lack of coordination and forethought in their attacks was costing them the skirmish. Greg stepped up to the plate and, in his best impression of Barnes, began barking orders. Soon, they stopped losing ground, and then suddenly they were gaining it. The Browncoat squads were flanking, sapping, diverting... Alliance positions began to fall, and what was a shaky extraction soon became a rout. The shuttles sent to pick up the losing Independents were soon repurposed to chase down the last of the Alliance stragglers.

After it came out that Greg had been giving all the orders the men had thought Barnes was giving, he was taken out of the squads and placed on the closest things the Independents had to flagships, helping them where he could with his strategic input. His gift was appreciated, and he helped turn the tide of a few engagements with advice behind the scenes. Humble to his core, it didn't get out that it was Greg coordinating movements on the ground.

Greg was in orbit during the battle of Serenity Valley. He was advising the troops on the ground as best he could, but it was not a winning scenario no matter who was running the show. His ship quickly lost contact with the ground forces; a busted coil in the scrap ship blew at the wrong time, and the explosion put a hole in the hull that began to vent all the atmosphere. Greg was the only one to make it to the ship's shuttle, despite his attempts to help others along with him. When it became clear that the war was lost, Greg vanished with the derelict shuttle.

In recent years, Greg has become... bored. With no war, he can only trounce old men at chess so often before it becomes routine. He was never quite steady aboard a ship, but at least that's adventure; he needs to get off of boring rocks, and back into the action. And so, the tactician has begun looking for a ship he can sign onto... or, perhaps, a bird he can captain himself.

Personalty:
Greg is intelligent and personable. He radiates an air of confidence and competence in whatever he does, even when it comes to firefights, which he is still terrible at. He rarely, if ever, loses his cool, and he is almost a perfect, stereotypical example of a Rim World Gentleman.

Questions, Answered!
1. What's your character's greatest accomplishment / fondest memory?

I'm fond a the day I took over operations durin' a fight planet-side. Our lieutenant, damn hard ass, didn't much like the way I carried a gun. Which is to say, not well. Any case, he gets offed by some Alliance scrub stickin' his head outta cover. Without orders, the squads are a mess; each is firin' at will, and they're takin' more'n they're givin'. So I pick up Barnes, the lieutenant, I pick up his comm. I start barkin' orders in his voice; always had a knack for impressions, y'know? So I start barkin' orders. I get to high ground fer a better view, an suddenly, it's just like the games I played as a kid. Three hours later, the shuttles sent to extract us are runnin' down Alliance stragglers, an' we only gave up one man fer every two we took. After that, they brought me up to the big ol' ships so I could help with bigger battles. Damn proud a that, I am.

2. What's your character's worst nightmare?

Losin' the men under my command. When I enter that tactical zone, y'know, I start lookin' at men as numbers, right? An' when I leave it again, I realize how many men I ordered to their deaths... it's not enough, end a the day, to trade em' two to one, three to one, ten to one... no matter how well I do, when I lose men, it wasn't enough. Part of me is glad the war is done... most excitin' part a my life, but also the worst nightmare, y'know?

3. What're your character's views on the other side, whichever side that is?

Not overly fond a the Alliance, or their rules. Bastards killed pretty much everyone I knew in the war. Not going to fly to Persephone an' start shootin' people up or nothin'. We lost, fair'n'square, but don't mean I have to like it.

4. On a scale from 1 to genocide, how far would your character be willing to go to get what he/she wants?

That's a dumb scale, y'know? But I get the point. The answer is "low". I'm done sendin' men ta their deaths. So whatever number is where it starts involvin' killin' folks, put down as the one afore that.

5. On a scale from 1 to death, how much would your character be willing to sacrifice to protect his/her interests and/or the others?

I'm fond a this here hide a mine, but like I said, I'm done sendin' men ta their deaths. If it comes down to leavin' someone behind so the others can skidaddle, I'm electin' myself.

6. Is there anyone in the 'Verse who wants your character dead? If so, who / what organization(s) / how badly?

Alliance ain't too fond a what my, ah, how'd their shrinks put it? "Tactical insights" did fer em' durin' the war. But they see I'm tired. If they ain't gunnin' fer me, who is?

7. What is your character working for? (Money, fame, adventure, survival, etc.)

A cure fer boredom. The war was a nightmare, but it was excitin' too. I'm done playin' grumblin' old men at checkers. It's time to find a new battlefield fer Greg Reaufort. One that involves less tellin' people ta die.

SPOILER ALERT; Do Not Read if you like surprises even a little bit
The backstory, answered questions and sheet I posted in the thread are all an elaborate facade. Greg's real name is Orelle LaFontaine, and his real sheet is here (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=234430).

Here's Orelle's backstory, and his real answers to the seven questions.

Backstory:
Orelle LaFontaine was born on Persephone to parents he barely remembers. As a toddler, his home in the middle-income district of the planet's capitol was set ablaze for unknown reasons; perhaps his parents were involved with the planet's underworld and made the wrong people angry. Or, perhaps, an arsonist just picked the house out of the blue. In either case, Orelle was the only one to survive the inferno when firemen arrived on the scene. He was put into an Alliance orphanage and raised on the streets of the capitol's slums.

Seeing the destitution around him growing up, the young Orelle was disgusted. He also saw from a distance the way the city's upper crust lived, and he resented them for it. But most of all, he wanted to be a part of them. Orelle was a brilliant child, and he read incessantly to broaden his knowledge base. He learned tidbits about everything from history to military tactics, any book he could get his hands on. A great many of them he had to steal, with no income of his own to pay for new books.

At the age of fifteen, Orelle applied to a private school in the richer district, and managed to seize a spot because of the school's grant for teaching a few underpriviledged children. Though his classmates looked down on the penniless Orelle, he quickly showed his teachers that he was smarter and harder working than any of his peers. At lunch, he conned his classmates out of their parents' money, using whatever he got to buy more books; once he'd read them, he sent them back to the orphanage for the other kids to learn to read with.

Orelle graduated on Persephone with honours. As the Unification War came to a close, the brilliant boy then promptly disappeared completely. None of his college acquaintances, nor his fellow orphans or caregivers, ever heard from him again.

A few years later, two years after the War ended, the news on Osiris began to cover a strange series of events, in which rich heirs began to suddenly curtail their spending habits. One intrepid reporter managed to hack into one man's financials, only to find that there weren't any. The man had been cleaned out, and it seemed his trust fund was reluctant to refill his coffers. When the story broke, a score of young men came forward to reveal that the same had happened to them. They told of an enigmatic deceiver who'd tricked them out of their inheritances, leaving them nearly penniless. Even with the news covering the story, more men continued to be duped in increasingly complex business deals. With the major stations on Osiris dubbing this mystery man “The Godfather of Osiris”, business on the planet began to stall, as the rich became less and less willing to invest capital in ventures, too many of which were fronts for the master thief. Eventually, the Alliance took note of the problem, and an Operative was dispatched to investigate the matter.

At that point, the Godfather of Osiris promptly vanished. All the money he'd stolen was gone, too. Though no one took special notice, orphanages all over the Core systems began receiving anonymous donations. And then, as if he'd existed all along, Gregoire Reaufort appeared one day on the Rim, a Unification War veteran with a derelict old ship. A tactician in the war, everyone he'd been close to had died, but the records showed his service clearly. And Orelle LaFontaine? He'd never existed. Not a single trace of him, on the Cortex or elsewhere. Coincidentally, the nefarious grifter known by the media as the Godfather of Osiris hasn't committed any thefts in the last two years. Every so often, Alliance news does a brief broadcast about him, but the trail seems to have gone cold.

Questions, Answered!
1. What's your character's greatest accomplishment / fondest memory?

I'm proud of a lot of things. Showing up all the rich kids and slumdogs alike when I made top of my class in school. Stealing the shirts off of the richest bigwigs on Osiris... I suppose I'm just proud of beating the odds at every turn. It's what I do.

2. What's your character's worst nightmare?

Being captured, having my cover blown, and then dying. I'm not ready to leave this world for some time, yet. Being dead is the only setback from which I cannot recover.

3. What're your character's views on the other side, whichever side that is?

Other side? Hah! The whole 'Verse is full of idiots and blowhards. Marks, the lot of them, and especially dumb ones. When I'm done, it won't matter if they're Alliance or Browncoats; they'll all feel just how stupid they truly are.

4. On a scale from 1 to genocide, how far would your character be willing to go to get what he/she wants?

I'm not planning to get anyone killed. I just want the 'Verse to wake up and see how broken it is. I won't kill people on the way, though. People die enough without my help.

5. On a scale from 1 to death, how much would your character be willing to sacrifice to protect his/her interests and/or the others?

In the long run, I'm more valuable to the 'Verse alive than dead. I won't make someone die in my place, but I'm not planning to die in theirs, either. If I can talk or shock my way out of a situation, then I'll be surprised. Ask me again once that's happened.

6. Is there anyone in the 'Verse who wants your character dead? If so, who / what organization(s) / how badly?

Oh, probably everyone. Mostly the former socialites on Osiris whose bank accounts I emptied. The Alliance, who's a fan of the rich men I bankrupted. A handful of other dumbasses I've duped. Good thing none of them have a clue who I am, eh?

7. What is your character working for? (Money, fame, adventure, survival, etc.)

The 'Verse needs an overhaul, and I'm the only one who sees it. It starts by making more like me; well-educated Cortex spectres who grew up on the streets. When we've drained the Alliance dry, we'll give the folks in the slums a shot at a good life. I've had my share of dealings with crimelords, and they're going too. When I've reinvented the 'Verse the way it ought to be, then I'll rest. For now, I'm just taking a... hiatus. Too much media attention on Osiris. I'll go back to my ways soon enough.

This isn't being recorded, is it? Ah, right. Not anymore. * Bzzt, bzz bzat! * Was that tape recorder so expensive? Sorry, but I can't let you remember this interview. This isn't going to hurt much... I don't kill people, remember? * Bzzt! * There we go, just sleep it off. The concussion should haze up your memory. Your next interviewee will be along shortly... one Gregoire Reaufort, I believe.

Sunfall
2012-10-19, 11:41 PM
Ahahahaha! Adlan, you rule :smallbiggrin: Take an internet for that! Especially love the parts for Jack, Lei and Greg - so fitting! Makes me regret I didn't take someone with a whole lot of moving images...

*goes looking* Who'da thunk - there are videos of Margaret Atwood (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vewPPa1hV8k) on Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHpGnyopiCM) :smallsmile:

Creed
2012-10-19, 11:51 PM
Hey, did we ever decide who bunks with whom, aside from some exclusive peoples?

Erasmas
2012-10-20, 12:56 AM
That was absolutely amazing, Adlan!
What program did you use to cut that - Premiere, Final Cut Pro?

Also Lentrax, I figured out why I couldn't see the picture you posted! My company has apparently blocked the host website you linked... so nothing showed up in your post but a blank line.

Post-post-script: I know we are only just past the one page mark, but this is already the best RP-driven game I have been a part of this far on these forums. All too often I have seen posters that offer nothing more than two sentences at a time with little to no character or "flare". So far... I am very much enjoying myself. Thank you guys (all of you)!

Adlan
2012-10-20, 03:17 AM
That was absolutely amazing, Adlan!
What program did you use to cut that - Premiere, Final Cut Pro?
iMovie. :smallamused:



Post-post-script: I know we are only just past the one page mark, but this is already the best RP-driven game I have been a part of this far on these forums. All too often I have seen posters that offer nothing more than two sentences at a time with little to no character or "flare". So far... I am very much enjoying myself. Thank you guys (all of you)!

Good!




Ahahahaha! Adlan, you rule :smallbiggrin: Take an internet for that! Especially love the parts for Jack, Lei and Greg - so fitting! Makes me regret I didn't take someone with a whole lot of moving images...

*goes looking* Who'da thunk - there are videos of Margaret Atwood (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vewPPa1hV8k) on Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHpGnyopiCM) :smallsmile:

Well, I was planning on updating it as the series continued, so thanks for the links.



Why have you not taken the internets yet? You should take them.

Seriously though. This should be fun. I hope you enjoyed my character intro.

Also, if it helps I have also describe my character to Erasmus as looking like Kahlan from the Legend of the Seeker.

Not really I'm afraid, A picture or link to video of them would though, as the one I used is too small really.


I'll be using ships perception + my alertness to find something, then tech-use + intelligence to see if I can figure out what it is.
I hereby second Creed's motion for Adlan to have all the Internet for that intro. Seriously, good work. Although, now we know what you look like, Adlan. bum-bum-BUUUUMMMM!

Yeah you know what I look like (also, observe my Avatar)... but if you look through my other video's you'll know my other hobbies, and how many involve sharp and dangerous implements.

Also, great call on the rolls, exactly right. You Confirm it's a really there with the sensor readings, and from them you can deduce it's a Mid-sized ship, no signs of life support or any major heat production. Probably trying to take a short cut off the usual space routes and ran into somekind of trouble.

When/If you get closer to the ship:
http://cdn.static.ovimg.com/episode/147914.jpg
Hanging in Space, the Derelict is a 2nd Gen Marshal Stag (02-M22s), the nose art and name on the side reveal the ship to be 'Buck'. It looks stable enough, and as you get close, an emergency beacon can be detected, though the signal really should be much, much stronger.

@Narmoth,
I agree, I got a bit confused on peoples locations then.

Do we want to establish a Convention? Start each post with Name and Location? I'll start each of my posts with a Scene and Location?

If we just put them in bold at the top of our posts, it might help avoid confusion.

Also, Info for Dane:
You are locked in your Cabin. huddled under a heat blanket. You woke from the cold, and the hatch out of your cabin is freezing and won't open. You are almost out of booze, and the Air that your freezing breath hangs in like a cloud is getting more and more oppressive. Fortunately, there is an Emergency O2 Canister in the cupboard, but you have no idea how long you've been out of it, how long the air will last, or where the rest of Buck's crew is.





Also, a Note on Pacing. How soon do people want me to Progress on a Scene? Should I wait for everyone to post before moving on (impractical I feel, given that not every scene will need everyone), or would people like it on a schedule? I can always play it by ear of course.

Narmoth
2012-10-20, 03:57 AM
It's Adrian, not Dane.
Besides that, totally awesome game, Adlan!

I think putting a name and location in start of each post is a good thing with so many players

Adlan
2012-10-20, 03:58 AM
It's Adrian, not Dane.
Besides that, totally awesome game, Adlan!

I think putting a name and location in start of each post is a good thing with so many players

My bad, I was using the two interchangeably out of confusion.

Shadow_Elf
2012-10-20, 11:32 AM
Hey, did we ever decide who bunks with whom, aside from some exclusive peoples?

I know Greg requested a solo room, but that might be impossible with our ship's layout. I don't quite understand how to interpret the numbers in the crew quarters section.

Aneurin
2012-10-20, 01:32 PM
I kinda took your depp reference and ran with it. Please make sure you all click the link, it's just to a YT video, but I hope you will all approve, even if I took some liberties.

Remember, it's now two days ago.

Whoever is manning the sensors, you detect something on the edges of the shipping lane. it's worth checking out with a full sensor sweep anyway.
And unless we decide we want to go totally freeform, I'd suggest it's a Ships Agility +whoever is at the controls relevent skills to see what they can deduce from their sensors read out.

Really, really loving that video - you did an amazing job!

Erasmas
2012-10-20, 01:36 PM
Oh... and it really isn't a huge deal, but just since you said there would be future videos... my screename is Erasmas, instead of the traditional 'u' spelling. It's a long story to type out on my phone, but it has to do with my first D&D character.

Adlan
2012-10-20, 01:47 PM
Oh... and it really isn't a huge deal, but just since you said there would be future videos... my screename is Erasmas, instead of the traditional 'u' spelling. It's a long story to type out on my phone, but it has to do with my first D&D character.

Not an issue, I'll correct it for the next episode.

Shadow_Elf
2012-10-20, 01:49 PM
By the way, that clip was absolutely perfect for Greg; he's totally useless with guns :smalltongue:.

Erasmas
2012-10-20, 02:07 PM
Thsnk you very much!
Again, that video is too cool for school. I've watched it like ten times... and now I am about to show it to my wife.
:smallbiggrin:

Adlan
2012-10-20, 02:25 PM
I was going to give out plot points for good Rping and helping to establish the setting, but being as everyone is doing that (:smallbiggrin: YAY, people who love the Verse as much as me), I'll have to be Stingier.

cgrela, Plot Point for keeping us moving Forwards, I'll prep an IC airlock post for posting tomorrow, but if anyone needs more time to post, let me know and I'll delay it.

and Shadow_Elf with Aneurin, plot point each for such good character interaction and Dialouge, it set up so much about the characters and what we do on the boat (we do 'milk runs', and the 'heavy jobs' :smallbiggrin: ) just from the discussion.

edit:


Alertness (1d10)[7]+ Perception (1d6)[5]
Intelligence (1d10)[1] + Mechanical Engineering (1d6)[2] (to see if she can identify the cause of any noticed external damage)

12 for Observation. http://www.skyeboatbuilders.co.uk/images/pagegallery/13_medium.jpg

You quickly detect a rupture in the ship, as if it has been stoved in by something now missing, and soon your spotlights illuminate the full extent of the damage, the outerskin crumpled like rice paper and the internal ceramic layer ripped like insulating foam.

3 for Deducing the cause.
It'd take a lot of patching to get that sound to hold atmo, any idiot can see that. But what could cause that sort of Damage... well who knows what could do that? Of all the spacer hazards, hitting anything bigger than a grain of dust was very rare away from a planet.

Lentrax
2012-10-20, 02:43 PM
Here is a link to a video featuring Kahlan Amnell from the show Legend of the Seeker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC2rXfvKf4o&feature=related

I personally don't care for the show, but the actress playing Kahlan is pretty close to how I envision Sia looking.

Shadow_Elf
2012-10-20, 02:58 PM
Greg's "Nose for Trouble" asset let's him roll a check to see if anything hinky is going on. In this case, I think it's intelligence, but sometimes it's alertness. Since this is a warranting situation, he gets +2 step to his Intelligence for the roll.

Intelligence: [roll0] + [roll1] + Intuition [roll2] to see if he feels something is off about the other ship.

Erasmas
2012-10-20, 03:01 PM
So... a bit of a sidenote:

When Voltaire posted his picture of Shooter, I wasn't lying about the Bon Jovi-ness that popped up into my head. Jokingly... my friend, my wife, and I started talking about how awesome/disturbing a Bon Jovi cover of the Serenity theme song would be. Ever since then, I could not get the idea out of my brain. Now, my searching did not turn up much, but the curiosity did turn up this little gem (the novelty wears off after the first minute or so):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=315tYkYxT1k

But, enjoy all the same!

EDIT: I also found this one (it's a little less "Mal-centric".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CO1zHXSCT4&feature=related

Space Lawyer
2012-10-20, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the plot point! Let me know if I'm moving it forward too much. When I play a character who can move things forward in a constructive way, I can get a bit carried away.

Adlan
2012-10-20, 03:15 PM
So... a bit of a sidenote:

When Voltaire posted his picture of Shooter, I wasn't lying about the Bon Jovi-ness that popped up into my head. Jokingly... my friend, my wife, and I started talking about how awesome/disturbing a Bon Jovi cover of the Serenity theme song would be. Ever since then, I could not get the idea out of my brain. Now, my searching did not turn up much, but the curiosity did turn up this little gem (the novelty wears off after the first minute or so):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=315tYkYxT1k

But, enjoy all the same!

EDIT: I also found this one (it's a little less "Mal-centric".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CO1zHXSCT4&feature=related

Continuing the side note: Mal's Song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svPAVcsZ5go) written by Michelle Dockrey, it's a continuation of the Theme Song, and it's awesome.

If you haven't come across the Bedlham Bards, go check them out too, and the Brobdenogian Bards have also done some good firefilk.

Shadow_Elf
2012-10-20, 03:27 PM
Continuing the side note: Mal's Song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svPAVcsZ5go) written by Michelle Dockrey, it's a continuation of the Theme Song, and it's awesome.

If you haven't come across the Bedlham Bards, go check them out too, and the Brobdenogian Bards have also done some good firefilk.

I've looked long and hard for an extended theme song, and that one was pretty good! I do have to say I think the show's singer caught the feel of the show better in his vocals, though, but of course the version he had to sing isn't a full song.

Aneurin
2012-10-20, 03:38 PM
I do like the lyrics - not so sure the voice works with it, though. Still pretty good, though! :smallsmile:

Okay, cashing in that Plot Point for a Major Trustworthy Gut question; Does the damage look like something that could be faked?

Erasmas
2012-10-20, 03:54 PM
Nice... I like that.
I do agree, however, the gruff male voice definitely holds a little more to the overall feel of the harshness of life in the 'Verse.

Definitely not trying to leave anyone out, but I figure anyone else that hasn't posted yet could just join us (somewhat) retroactively.

Adlan
2012-10-21, 05:35 AM
I do like the lyrics - not so sure the voice works with it, though. Still pretty good, though! :smallsmile:

Okay, cashing in that Plot Point for a Major Trustworthy Gut question; Does the damage look like something that could be faked?

It's got to be a Yes no Question, and unfortunately, you've worded that question wrong.

What you want to ask me is 'Is that Damage Faked' to which the answer could be yes or no.

The Answer to your question is not a Yes/No you want to waste a plot point on. Because nearly everything looks like something that could be faked, given sufficient dedication to faking. And it'd be a perception + relevent knowledge to determine likelihood of faked damage. (for an example, See This Royal Marine MP kick arse) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tgou4ZHqAZY#t=861s)

And I may not be this nice of GM all the time :smallwink:

Sunfall
2012-10-21, 07:23 AM
So I should rather roll that skill? Though I was just looking for physical clues, like radiation, residue or some such...

Adlan
2012-10-21, 07:31 AM
So I should rather roll that skill? Though I was just looking for physical clues, like radiation, residue or some such...

Hold On, I'm now one very confused GM, For somereason I'm not 'allowed' to subscribe to my own IC thread and I've apparently missed stuff. Unfortunately, I'll be busy for the next few hours, but I will get on it ASAP. Sorry for the Inconvenience.

Sunfall
2012-10-21, 07:40 AM
Yeah, forum's been doing some strange stuff since the update... I, for one, am not allowed to check other users' recent posts via the context menu. *shrugs*

So you don't have to apologize at all :smallsmile: Take your time. Probably logging out and in again would help with your subscription issue?

Voltaire
2012-10-21, 10:28 AM
Nice intro, Adlan!

Adlan
2012-10-21, 11:35 AM
So I should rather roll that skill? Though I was just looking for physical clues, like radiation, residue or some such...

Nothing in your scientific expertise tells you otherwise than the explanation given. It seems horriffic... but you know how horriffic humanity can be. Even though ramming another ship to gain entry seems incredibly crude.


@Narmoth,
Adrian can Hear Sounds and Clanging through the ship. He knows he can't open the airlock though, the extreme cold of the handle is the cold of space and theirs only vacuum on the other side. Are the Footsteps those of the ones responsible for the situation he finds himself in? Or are they rescuer's? He dosn't know.

Aneurin
2012-10-21, 01:04 PM
It's got to be a Yes no Question, and unfortunately, you've worded that question wrong.

What you want to ask me is 'Is that Damage Faked' to which the answer could be yes or no.

The Answer to your question is not a Yes/No you want to waste a plot point on. Because nearly everything looks like something that could be faked, given sufficient dedication to faking. And it'd be a perception + relevent knowledge to determine likelihood of faked damage. (for an example, See This Royal Marine MP kick arse) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tgou4ZHqAZY#t=861s)

And I may not be this nice of GM all the time :smallwink:

I thought that question was too specific, so worded it to be vague; the example in the rulebook is: "Do I get the feeling this guy is on the level?" - so there's room for the answer to be wrong, based on what the character knows.

Also, if that damage goes through something really important - like the main power coupling, or a major lifesupport system - then it probably can't be faked, or would be so difficult and dangerous to fake that it would be pretty much pointless to do so.

Anyway... thank you for the answer; I will try and be more specific in the future :smallsmile:

Shadow_Elf
2012-10-21, 01:07 PM
I was going to have Greg remind Shooter than the captain was on the away team, and then I realized he may have been talking to the cat :smalltongue:.

Lentrax
2012-10-21, 01:40 PM
I don't see it mentioned anywhere, but do we know what kind of ship this is? I mean as far as cargo liner, passenger ferry or colony ship?

Adlan
2012-10-21, 01:41 PM
I thought that question was too specific, so worded it to be vague; the example in the rulebook is: "Do I get the feeling this guy is on the level?" - so there's room for the answer to be wrong, based on what the character knows.


Half the Fun of being a Genie GM is playing around with exact wording, so I thought it be a good thing to warn you, before I start.

Adlan
2012-10-21, 02:33 PM
I don't see it mentioned anywhere, but do we know what kind of ship this is? I mean as far as cargo liner, passenger ferry or colony ship?

Depends how you outfit the Ship, the Stag Design is fairly versatile, being a box with engines. Buck is a Tramp Freighter though, an old beat up model with a normally pressurised cargo hold. What it was shipping, if anything, is unknown without spending some time properly examining the ship, or finding it's manifest.

Space Lawyer
2012-10-21, 02:38 PM
Would its manifest happen to be in the computers, along with the log?

Adlan
2012-10-21, 02:40 PM
Would its manifest happen to be in the computers, along with the log?

Attempt to Access them and I'll tell you :smallwink:


That is where they would normally be.

Space Lawyer
2012-10-21, 02:43 PM
I can't roll in an edit, so therefore double-post

Something bit into her deep, Lei says, pointing at the deep gash in Buck's side. I'm not certain what it is though. Give me a minute more, see if I can find her log.

If they had any sense, anybody still onboard will climb into the smallest space they can find and stuff it full of whatever warm thing they can find. I'm guessing either a crew cabin, the engine room, or a cargo crate.

Intelligence [roll0]+ Tech-use (hacking) [roll1]

I rolled 10. So, success on an average difficulty.

Adlan
2012-10-21, 02:51 PM
I rolled 10. So, success on an average difficulty.

The Basic Logs of the ships internal sensors are telling you the story, and you are quite right, they stood no chance, the impact of the Boarding Ram is recorded as a devastating spike. But after the basic read outs; vid, written logs, everything stored centrally and not cached in the sensor hardwares memory is missing. There isn't a Manifest Listed, there isn't even a crew listed. And all the internal sensors were turned off not long after the ship was boarded.

Fortunately, you can get the internal sensors working again. But to find out if there's any remnants of the information would take more time than you have right now, and probably require physical access to them, not this remote connection from Alpha Panda.



(PS: Is this GMing style working for people? I'm liking the more collaborative feel this game has, and posting the info OC for your character to share IC seems to be working well enough)

Shadow_Elf
2012-10-21, 04:13 PM
Aneurin, Tap is still aboard the Panda.

Aneurin
2012-10-21, 04:18 PM
Gah. Sorry. Head not working.

EDIT: Fixed

Voltaire
2012-10-21, 07:46 PM
Definitely... talking... to the cat...

:smallredface:

Erasmas
2012-10-22, 10:01 AM
I hope that post wasn't too presumptuous, on several different fronts.

Also... if you want/need an actor to use actual footage of for Cole, Adlan... you could probably use Dominic Purcell, from a show called "Prison Break" (he has a shaved head in that). It's not a perfect analog, but he should work well enough! Although, actually... the 'full body' image I used for him is the main character from a video game called "Red Faction" (which is a recent enough game that there may be cinematics from it that you could use, which would be a much better analog. And besides that... the game was sci-fi, which could help you find something useful!
:smallcool:

Space Lawyer
2012-10-22, 12:34 PM
I realized I haven't been applying any bonuses from my Assets. I'll do that from now on. Just wanted to explain why some of my rolls are going to suddenly jump.

Shadow_Elf
2012-10-22, 12:56 PM
Adlan, could you add a link to Greg's character summary on the first page, for convenience's sake?

Also, from what I can tell, there's 2 rooms of 4 crew each and one room of 2 crew on the crew floor. We've established that Doc and Cole bunk together in the 2 Crew Room, which leaves 2 4 Crew Rooms, and the Captain's obviously sleeping in his own quarters. We've the following crew members still to put up:

Greg
Shooter
Morgan
Tap
Lei
Grace

I suppose it makes as much sense as anything to put the four gentlemen in one room and the two ladies in t'other.

Either way, it seems clear that Greg's not getting his private room. As such, he's going to need a cargo container in the cargo hold with some personal effects. When asked what's inside, he assures anyone that it's nothing illegal, just some things he couldn't leave behind. He doesn't specify what it is.

Shadow_Elf
2012-10-22, 01:35 PM
Sorry for double post, but I can't roll things in an edit.

Adlan:
To know how slow a ship would have to be going to be rammed accurately:

[roll0] + [roll1]

Erasmas
2012-10-23, 11:47 AM
Narmoth? Adlan?

Did I become too hasty? Were we not ready to find his room yet?

Adlan
2012-10-23, 11:54 AM
I'm happy for you to find his room. You haven't repressurised the corridor, so only when you touch the metal of the ship can you hear the vibrations of activity, and he can't hear you, even if you press your suit against the door, though he'd hear the clang.

Erasmas
2012-10-23, 12:22 PM
Right! Good on you!

I will fix my post. And then set about trying to do so!

Erasmas
2012-10-23, 07:21 PM
Oh... I found another possible source of video for Cole (if you're going to be looking, Adlan) - John Forge from Halo Wars!
:smallbiggrin:

Yup, definitely this guy. Just looked him up on YouTube and there are some cool moments of him kicking butt (even one with him shooting a shotgun)!

Adlan
2012-10-24, 10:19 AM
Okay: Please Roll for Fixing up the Ship, who's doing what and what relvant skills you need to roll. If there are any bonuses or penalties you miss I'll add them on, so please go right ahead and roll.

This is a Complex task, and you don't yet know how difficult it might be.

Example:
Kaylee Rolls to idenitfy all problems: perception + Mechanical Knowledge. (Bonus from machine Empathy).
Simon declares that he assists her: Bonus to Kaylee's roll that I'll apply.

Lentrax
2012-10-24, 10:28 AM
did you want a die roll for shutting doors and getting another vacsuit?

Space Lawyer
2012-10-24, 10:34 AM
Alertness[roll0]+Mechanical Engineering [roll1]to notice problems:
Intelligence[roll2] + MechEngineering[roll3] to fix them

I might be able to apply math whiz here, but I'm not sure.

Erasmas
2012-10-24, 10:46 AM
Okay, bear with me here... this is the first time I have played this system. I am not entirely sure what exactly to roll, so I am following Cgrela's example here!

Alertness [roll0] + Perception [roll1] (Recognizing problems!)
Intelligence [roll2] + Perception [roll3] (Fixin 'em!)

Shadow_Elf
2012-10-24, 10:52 AM
Greg's smart but has little applied knowledge about this sort of stuff. He'll do what he can to help from the AlphaPanda, whether it's grabbing tools, providing an extra pair of eyes or whatever.

Adlan
2012-10-24, 11:11 AM
did you want a die roll for shutting doors and getting another vacsuit?

These activities need someone to declare them as actions, but not a skill roll. Erasmus's double 1's for example, still allow him to perform these simple actions.

Erasmus: You are no technical expert, or a shipwright, but you can carry out simple pressurisation drills like shutting doors and vents. IC post to carry out these actions and assist in the complex action.

cgrela: You need to start checking for leaks in the walls and bulkheads, some of the cabins were holed, so it's possible the impact did more damage to internal stability and integrity. IC post to carry out these actions and assist in the complex action.

Lentrax
2012-10-24, 11:43 AM
So I don't need to roll for my last IC post about going back to shut doors and get another vacsuit? I'm just asking, not trying to sound like an idiot, but I just want to make sure.

Adlan
2012-10-24, 11:46 AM
So I don't need to roll for my last IC post about going back to shut doors and get another vacsuit? I'm just asking, not trying to sound like an idiot, but I just want to make sure.

No worries. You don't have to roll for that, but you can roll and do further actions, as this isn't a combat situation, but you all attempting a complex action.

Lentrax
2012-10-24, 11:52 AM
Dangit, man! I'm a doctor, not an engineer!

Space Lawyer
2012-10-24, 12:22 PM
cgrela: You need to start checking for leaks in the walls and bulkheads, some of the cabins were holed, so it's possible the impact did more damage to internal stability and integrity. IC post to carry out these actions and assist in the complex action.

I can' really do this from Alpha Panda. I guess maybe I can look over the schematics and say where it is likely the damage occurred.

Aneurin
2012-10-24, 01:37 PM
Soo... would turning the ship on be an Intelligence+Pilot (or whatever specialty would cover Buck)?

And running a system's diagnostic would be ship's Intelligence or Vitality+...ship's Mechanical Engineering, or Perception? Maybe?

Space Lawyer
2012-10-24, 01:50 PM
All of those would be Intelligence + Technical Engineering

Adlan
2012-10-24, 03:44 PM
All of those would be Intelligence + Technical Engineering

Correct.

You also, I thought had the internal sensors of the ship back online, they should tell you what rooms can be sealed.

Space Lawyer
2012-10-24, 03:50 PM
Oh, ok. I thought I couldn't actually do anything with the sensors from Alpha Panda, just read their logs. Any chance I have access to the internal comm system?

Adlan
2012-10-24, 03:55 PM
It's an easy roll.

Space Lawyer
2012-10-24, 04:00 PM
To see if I have access to Buck's comm: Int, modified by math whiz [roll0]+[roll1] + TechEng (hack) [roll2]

Aneurin
2012-10-24, 04:03 PM
Oh, okay. I figured that turning the ship on would be a Pilot roll, but that's fine.


Turning the ship on;
Intelligence[roll0]+Technical Engineering[roll1]

Running a systems diagnostic to figure out what, if anything, is wrong aside from hull breaches; (this is Jack's skill, rather than the ship's, right?)
Intelligence[roll2]+Technical Engineering[roll3]


...clearly, rolling Technical Engineering is not going to be a productive use of my time in future :smallfrown:

Adlan
2012-10-24, 04:37 PM
The ship is fully on, but just emergency reserve power, even the storage batteries are missing. There are no internal diagnostics active that you can get working, just a read out of the status of various parts of the ship, bulkheads open and shut.

There is an emergency atmo system, but it is also indicating air tanks as missing, Who ever hit this ship obviously took everything, even if it was nailed down.

Space Lawyer
2012-10-24, 10:08 PM
Oh, okay. I figured that turning the ship on would be a Pilot roll, but that's fine.

...Your logic here is infallible. I am proven wrong.

Narmoth
2012-10-26, 02:09 AM
Sia
Main Airlock

As soon as she is let through, Sia pulls off her helmet. Walking over to the comm panel, she punches in Jack's frequency.

"Jack, it's Sia. If its as bad as you say, I may need help rushing the survivor to the medbay. I also probably also won't have time to pull my suit off for emergency treatment. I'm staying aboard the Panda. If she holds enough atmo for me to go back, I will. Otherwise you may need to double time it here so I can treat him."

Sia begins stripping her suit off, then heads to the medbay.

I don't know if you have reason to expect a survivor yet

Lentrax
2012-10-26, 02:58 AM
Well, Cole felt something through that door. If it is a survivor, Sia needsto be reay to treat him/her. I don't think that line of reasoning is too far of a stretch.

Adlan
2012-10-26, 04:03 AM
I don't know if you have reason to expect a survivor yet

Your cabin and the ships sensors indicates that it's still pressurised.

Now that they've hacked into the ships comms, I assume they'll make contact.

Adlan
2012-10-26, 09:00 AM
Your cabin and the ships sensors indicates that it's still pressurised.

Now that they've hacked into the ships comms, I assume they'll make contact.

Adrian can hear the Intercom in his room blare into life. He has no idea if the response button will work though.



It works perfectly. Nice work Lei.

Erasmas
2012-10-26, 10:37 AM
I know the job's not done yet, but...

Wahoo!

Way to go, team!
:smallsmile:

Space Lawyer
2012-10-26, 11:01 AM
I'll start pumping atmo from Alpha Panda into Buck as soon as everyone reports that their doors are sealed. Fun story, I'm actually listening to air being pumped into scuba tanks right now, and will be for the next seven hours. I hate the compressor.

Erasmas
2012-10-26, 01:01 PM
No, no... Cgrela... that's the sound of story immersion!
:smalltongue:

Creed
2012-10-26, 02:26 PM
You call that immersion? I haven't spoken in two weeks!:smalltongue:

Erasmas
2012-10-26, 02:40 PM
ROFLMAO, Creed.

That... almost made me spit Big Red all over my monitor.

Creed
2012-10-26, 02:52 PM
I also found a picture of the Captain for inclusion in the opening credits:


http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ld715jcIWp1qf9piio1_500.jpg




Thank you, I'll be here for eternity.

Aneurin
2012-10-26, 05:25 PM
...Your logic here is infallible. I am proven wrong.

Well, flying (piloting) a ship's pretty difficult if you can't turn it on, right?

Adlan
2012-10-28, 10:17 AM
Who wants me to PM them some GM info for repressurising the ship?

Roll whatever you think might be your best bet at getting the knowledge, or use a trait or plotpoint.

Erasmas
2012-10-28, 12:13 PM
Well, with what Cole rolled earlier, I am going with the outcome and saying that he has no knowledge of these kinds of systems... so I won't be aiding much beyond doing what I am told.

Space Lawyer
2012-10-28, 12:24 PM
I'll make a roll for the info on repressurizing the ship:
Intelligence, modified by math whiz [roll0] + Mechanical engineering [roll1]

Argument for math whiz: calculating how much atmo we need to pump into Buck to pressurize the corridor, how much stress the bulkheads can take, etc.

Shadow_Elf
2012-10-28, 12:29 PM
Greg will assist Lei from the bridge as much as he can.

Erasmas
2012-10-30, 10:41 AM
Psst... hello?
What are we still waiting on again?

Lentrax
2012-10-30, 10:54 AM
Just to pressurize the Buck, I believe.

Adlan
2012-10-30, 10:55 AM
Hmmm, I've dispatched some GM info.

Roll Call?

I'm prepped to move onto the next episode. So I could post us a move on?

Shadow_Elf
2012-10-30, 10:58 AM
Yeah, I've been trying to find excuses for Greg to speak up during this scene, but this isn't really his forte. I'd like a chance at the beginning of the next episode or between episodes for Greg to strike that discussion back up with Jack. Not that I necessarily want or need him to change his mind OOC, just that Greg wouldn't just drop the issue IC until he'd made his case from every angle :smalltongue:.

Space Lawyer
2012-10-30, 11:03 AM
Ooop, sorry, my fault. IC post incoming to move us along.

Aneurin
2012-10-30, 02:19 PM
Yeah, I've been trying to find excuses for Greg to speak up during this scene, but this isn't really his forte. I'd like a chance at the beginning of the next episode or between episodes for Greg to strike that discussion back up with Jack. Not that I necessarily want or need him to change his mind OOC, just that Greg wouldn't just drop the issue IC until he'd made his case from every angle :smalltongue:.

Heh. Sounds fun, and I'm fine with it - I've actually no problem with Greg being on the ground; just that Jack doesn't like dodging bullets from his own crew :smalltongue:

I'm fine with the move on (provided we don't accidentally explode Buck or anything), although introducing the new guy to the crew would be kind of interesting.

Creed
2012-10-30, 03:21 PM
Yeah, I've been trying to find excuses for Greg to speak up during this scene, but this isn't really his forte.

Yeah, I know how you feel.

Geddit?
...
It's funny because my character can't talk.

Shadow_Elf
2012-10-31, 10:38 AM
Also, doing a quick scan of our combat capable characters, I noticed that no one has trained Dodge. If I recall correctly, it's a subset of Athletics, which some people do have other specialties in, so they're probably alright. But for the rest, I suspect that if we get into any firefights, folks're going to be taking quite a lot of damage :smalleek:.

Lentrax
2012-11-01, 12:47 PM
Hopefully I can keep up with all the wounds we might end up taking.

How's everyone doin? Shiny?

Space Lawyer
2012-11-01, 12:51 PM
Doing good. I think all we need to do now is bust open the door and perform our daring and heroic rescue.

Lentrax
2012-11-01, 01:25 PM
Yup. About what I'm thinking as well. Who has the torch?

Adlan
2012-11-01, 01:35 PM
Has anyone heard from Narmoth?

Lentrax
2012-11-01, 02:08 PM
I think I've seen him pop into a couple of threads, but I don't recall everywhere I've been, or exactly who posted what and when.

Narmoth
2012-11-01, 02:11 PM
Has anyone heard from Narmoth?

I'm waiting on a response over the com to Adrians last question

Lentrax
2012-11-01, 02:23 PM
Ooh! I found him! He's right here! :smallwink:

Aneurin
2012-11-01, 03:26 PM
All shiny here, doc.

Sunfall
2012-11-01, 05:09 PM
Shiny here :smallsmile:

Nothing else to do for me here, so I'll just wait for wrap-up before posting anything new.

Erasmas
2012-11-01, 06:06 PM
Bright and shiny here as well!

I think Tap has the cutting torch on his arm?

On a sidenote... I will be out of town over the weekend (at Renn Faire!) and will not be able to post, as I will be camping.
:smallbiggrin:

Creed
2012-11-01, 06:19 PM
I'm cool, yeah, so, like, yeah and stuff.
Dudes.
Happy Halloween, by the way, even though it was yesterday.
*candy*

Voltaire
2012-11-02, 07:57 AM
Shooter's still shootin' straight, boss.

Adlan
2012-11-05, 12:31 PM
Do we want to RP out the Journey in the Space Suit back to Panda? Or shall I time shift us back to our opening and final dinner scene for this episode?

Like I said, I'm ready to move on to the next episode whenever you guys are.


Awesome RP everyone, I hope this is going the way people hoped (maybe with... More peril and more Platinum?).

Space Lawyer
2012-11-05, 12:35 PM
I'm good to move to the next episode. Maybe with a nice transition scene of everyone floating back into Alpha Panda.

Shadow_Elf
2012-11-05, 12:36 PM
I'm happy to either timeshift back to the dinner scene or proceed to the nxt episode. If we do end up back at the dinner scene, I think Doc probably shouldn't just tranq our guest right away, since that sort of robbed him of any chance at roleplaying in that scene.

Narmoth
2012-11-05, 12:47 PM
I'm happy to either timeshift back to the dinner scene or proceed to the nxt episode. If we do end up back at the dinner scene, I think Doc probably shouldn't just tranq our guest right away, since that sort of robbed him of any chance at roleplaying in that scene.

I have to agree on that.
And please remember that I'm at gmt+1, so if it takes long for me to respond to something, I'm either at the university or asleep, not just disinterested in responding

Lentrax
2012-11-05, 12:49 PM
True. We can call it a 'POV' shot, where two people see the scene as being different. If we go back to the dinner scene. Of course, I can play the as I wrote it card and say I didn't actually tranq him until I got him back to the medbay. :smallredface:

Aneurin
2012-11-05, 01:51 PM
I'm happy with whatever.

Erasmas
2012-11-05, 05:38 PM
I think a "cinematic" of us getting him back onboard the Panda would work well... or even all the way through us towing in the ship like Captain said.

I am definitely ready to move forward and get to the buckling of swashes!
:smallwink:

Adlan
2012-11-06, 08:16 AM
Okay, Finish up your IC posts, leave a place holder if there's anything you especially want to include as your final scene and you don't have time to post, tomorrow evening, all going well, I'll post up the first bit of Episode 2 Tomorrow. If we're still split on the Buck, I'll have a final scene of you getting back onboard Panda, or you can post that yourselves.


If you check your TV listings, you can see the Episode 2 Title is "Haulin' Ice".

Erasmas
2012-11-06, 11:00 AM
Okay... like I said, I am ready. I was just posting because I like to.
:smalltongue:

Erasmas
2012-11-07, 11:53 AM
Yay! Wahoo! Hooray! Woot!

Good job everybody. Now to see what lies in store next!
:smallbiggrin:

Sunfall
2012-11-07, 12:20 PM
OK, done! Hope that wasn't too forward (or too late :smallredface:).

Adlan
2012-11-07, 02:10 PM
Well, first comes plot points. Erasmus, plot point for remembering to work in the injured shoulder and doing it smoothly. It also made your lives harder, meaning Tap had to come over to open the stuck door. Plot point for Unkabear. :smallbiggrin:

And Lentrax, Voltaire, for the character driven actions. 1 plot point each.

The Next Episode will again open with Flashbacks. Some of you will have a challenge and your success or failure will be important for how the flashback impacts on the next episode and season arc.

I have 5 Flashbacks, here's what I was thinking:
1. Former Alliance Context
I definitely want Lei for a flashback to her piloting an ASREV for the alliance over Athens (or elsewhere, if back ground requires). Tap could also be onboard as a mechanic (before he lost his arm?), if we want to tie their backstories together that far. The same for Morgan, Alliance SF are detailed for this mission. Adrian can be tangentially involved or on the scene if he wants, but that might complicate his backstory, unless we want to go there now.
2. Former Browncoats Context.
Jack, you are in command of a orbital lander, and have been ordered to deliver yourself and a dozen men (under the command of an NCO, you don't command ground sloggers) to meet up in the middle of a battle for 'Logisitcal support'. If any other of our Ships Browncoats are part of your lander crew or the detail, all to the better, but as backstory allows.

3. The Confession.
Scene just for the Dr. possibly one of your first ventures into the rim if you want to name the world or town from your backstory.

4. One Drink Too Many.
Drunk in a Bar Scene for possibly Adrian or Shooter. Others who might have reason to be in a dive, speak up and it could be your flashback.

And I've got some PM's to send.

Respond even if it's to say you don't want a flash back, I want to get this stuff posted ASAP. It's good :D

Narmoth
2012-11-07, 02:34 PM
Getting Adrian on the Alliance flashback could be good to tie him more into the rest of the group

Erasmas
2012-11-07, 02:43 PM
Excellent, thank you Adlan!

As for the flashbacks, since Cole wasn't specifically mentioned for any of them... I am just going to give what Cole's possible angle could be for each one (if applicable).

1) Obviously, Cole isn't Alliance. But Athens is his home planet, if that is relevant.
2) Cole's definitely a Browncoat. Not sure if he would have been put on such a mission, but I could certainly see it!
3) N/A
4) Could be Cole... but I am perfectly fine with Adrian or Shooter!

I would definitely like a flashback, for sure!

Adlan
2012-11-07, 03:00 PM
Also a Note on Cannon. I think we should consider the IC thread our only cannon, thus allowing us to edit backstories as we like. If anyone posts something IC that's not Cannon, or contradicts earlier stuff or something essential to your character, then we can ask for edits.

How does that sound?


Erasmus: This Battle can easily be on Athens, that might make it even better fit for the backstory actually.

Narmoth: Do you want to be on site then?

Space Lawyer
2012-11-07, 03:18 PM
That flashback sounds good to me. I'm going to have to figure out how to keep Lei positive while there's blood and lead raining all around.

Lentrax
2012-11-07, 04:03 PM
How does the start of a tragic love story sound for mine?

Adlan
2012-11-07, 04:05 PM
How does the start of a tragic love story sound for mine?

I can throw that in, or do you mean for the Doctor, fleeing her tragic love?

Lentrax
2012-11-07, 04:29 PM
Probably for the Doctor having to leave her love behind at Serenity Valley. That's what drove her to the Rim worlds after the war. She was lost for some time, and wandered across Jack's path by happenstance. Details about what's in between are more than a bit fuzzy.

More like dark shapeless void.

Erasmas
2012-11-07, 04:57 PM
I think that sounds shiny.

However, with those of an Alliance affiliation possibly attacking (or even helping to bomb) Cole's home world... that would make him very, very reluctant to ever set foot in the same room with them... much less fly on the same boat. It could cause... issues.

Any other possible ideas? Maybe something super "wild west"-like... like a train heist, or a bank robbery, or a high-steed chase?

Adlan
2012-11-07, 05:07 PM
I think that sounds shiny.

However, with those of an Alliance affiliation possibly attacking (or even helping to bomb) Cole's home world... that would make him very, very reluctant to ever set foot in the same room with them... much less fly on the same boat. It could cause... issues.

Any other possible ideas? Maybe something super "wild west"-like... like a train heist, or a bank robbery, or a high-steed chase?

Well, I can set the Alliance battle elsewhere, the old standby of serenity valley, but I'm also not crossing the scenes, so it's not necessarily IC knowledge that his shipmates saw action on athens.

Up to the Players? Any calls on this?

Aneurin
2012-11-07, 05:24 PM
I like the suggested flashback for Jack; plenty to play on in there for the good ol' Traumatic Flashbacks.

I'm also cool with whoever being a part of it; Sia would fit in quite well, I think.

Narmoth
2012-11-07, 05:45 PM
Yes, I would like to have Adrian on site then.

Also, agree on that only IC thread should be cannon

Creed
2012-11-07, 05:46 PM
Ah, so much happening!
Morgan would love to ride along with the Alliance Forces Flashback, most likely in full combat armor, so that the rest of the crew now wouldn't know that he was even on the ship in the first place.
But he'd know.
But he'd never tell.
Maybe.

Sunfall
2012-11-07, 06:28 PM
Having only the IC thread as canon works for me, too. Keeps things flexible in the background :smallbiggrin:

Voltaire
2012-11-07, 11:52 PM
Shooter's very keen on the drunken shenanigans flashback! Just let me know how you want to handle it, boss.

Shadow_Elf
2012-11-08, 12:39 AM
I don't really see how Greg'll fit into any of these, since he was ship-side and away from most direct conflict in the war, and he's been retired on a nowhere Rim world since the war, until he joined the crew. Maybe during the flashbacks, I could control an NPC or something to keep me busy? Would lighten Adlan's load some and make for some interesting opportunities.

Adlan
2012-11-09, 05:46 PM
I don't really see how Greg'll fit into any of these, since he was ship-side and away from most direct conflict in the war, and he's been retired on a nowhere Rim world since the war, until he joined the crew. Maybe during the flashbacks, I could control an NPC or something to keep me busy? Would lighten Adlan's load some and make for some interesting opportunities.

Sounds good, just like simon pretended to be in Jaynes Town, you are a Buyer on Higgins Moon, invited to her Birthday Party to sweeten the deal so you deposit your platinum in his highly secure safe.

Upto you to create him as an NPC, knock yourself out, it works well that we don't always tie backstories together, gotta save some chronology for later.


Okay, OC stuff:
Scene 1:
Piloting test: Ships Agility d10, +pilot skill roll and any bonuses you feel apply. Everyone else, brace for impact.

Scene 2:
You are left in the dirt. No matter what you say, the colonel won't let you onboard. At most he promises to send help. He dosen't send help Also As it's not explicit IC, treat this as OC knowledge that is obvious to the audience, as Lt Kombe will be met again in Scene 3.

Scene 3:
A dying man needs some comfort in his last moments, go for it doc, make your best roll and tell me why and how it applies.

Scene 4:
Talk or threaten the old man out of hurting himself or anyone else. Maybe don't rough him up though, what kind of man hurts an old drunk? Make whatever rolls you think best.

Scene 5:
What a Snob that woman is! I wonder if the woman she dislikes can really be all that bad?


Okay, If you want to be in a Scene you aren't explicitly in, we can always edit it out later, so just Post in the OC and IC and we'll run with it. Only one IC post per person for now, and the best one will get a plot point. Make your rolls in the OC thread as we have been doing.

This should be fun, but working from a book can be trickier than I thought :smallbiggrin:

Shadow_Elf
2012-11-09, 06:32 PM
Just went ahead and made up a name for the guy. I imagine him as a somewhat rotund man, well-dressed, graying hair with a growing bald spot he tries hard to conceal.

Adlan
2012-11-10, 05:35 AM
OC: Okay Lentrax, that's a successful challenge completed. Well done. I think Scene 3 is done now.

Shadow_Elf; Sunfall: Do you want to continue the Scene? I don't wanna make you guys wait for the others, but I also don't want to spend too long in the past, as it were. :smallwink: Unfortunately, the woman is just an idle gossip.


PS: You all know if you click the firefly image I posted you get linked to this episodes opening credits? What do you think? Any modifications for next episode? Find a clip of video you especially like and I can include that.

Sunfall
2012-11-10, 09:07 AM
I don't mind if you want to wrap this up :smallsmile:

Again, love the opening credits!

Aneurin
2012-11-10, 09:30 AM
The opening credits are brilliant - as always. I really like that clip for Jack.

Shadow_Elf
2012-11-10, 01:21 PM
I'm fine with continuing or pausing. This character's just for killing time anyway, so I don't see why I wouldn't just keep using him to kill time, as it were.

Still loving that intro sequence. That clip is just so perfect for Greg, it's uncanny :smalltongue:.

Adlan
2012-11-10, 03:15 PM
Okay, we've resolved Scene 3 and 5, so those will fade to black. I think Monday is when I'll put up the present day IC, though I'll keep the Flashback scenes open until they are resolved, we could leave them to be resolved another episode if people want.

Space Lawyer
2012-11-10, 03:21 PM
Reroll

[roll0] + [roll1]

Such sadly low dice, given that I'm not in a mid-bulk ship. :smallfrown:

Narmoth
2012-11-10, 04:13 PM
For scene 1, I'm assuming Adrian is on the bridge as well, and that there is a more or less direct connection to the crew compartment
http://www.serenitymush.com/wiki/images/thumb/0/0b/ASREV-1.jpg/450px-ASREV-1.jpg



PS: You all know if you click the firefly image I posted you get linked to this episodes opening credits? What do you think? Any modifications for next episode? Find a clip of video you especially like and I can include that.

Maybe this one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVM4zru9JB8) from 0:48 to 0:52 for Adrian Starr?

Adlan
2012-11-10, 04:53 PM
I think I'm also going to call Scene One Finished unless any of you want to post up reactions to the events.

If we get all the flashbacks done before monday, I'll do my best to have the IC up intime.

Creed
2012-11-10, 06:24 PM
Don't have to respond to my post for Scene 1, just wanted to say something. I'm fine with a fade to black after that.

Adlan
2012-11-10, 06:57 PM
Don't have to respond to my post for Scene 1, just wanted to say something. I'm fine with a fade to black after that.

Sounds good to me, Did you like the picture of Morgans Face? Amazing what you can find trawling google image with actors names.

Creed
2012-11-10, 11:53 PM
I am very impressed with the choice of photos and film clips, for everyone in fact. I'm astonished that it's worked out so well, in fact. Good job.

Adlan
2012-11-11, 11:12 AM
I think it helps to think of this game as playing episodes in the show, instead of as playing 24/7, which while fun (my main Serenity RPG character, Amiri, I played for 4 years, and it only came to one year game time), can get bogged down.


The Opening titles are part of creating the sense of the game, and I'll include the Sharpe clip for the next episode. It's good, as characters become more involved, their opening title changes :D

Any more want in on Scene 2 or Scene 4?

Voltaire, roll to influence the drunk (+2 step roll for offering him alcohol, he has a Major Addiction). It's an Influence roll and a test of wills, so that's Willpower d10, +2 step bonus for his steady calm, and so a total of +4 steps, so d12 +d6 roll.

Voltaire
2012-11-12, 06:55 AM
Rollin' for influence:

[roll0] + [roll1]

Erasmas
2012-11-12, 11:16 AM
Sorry gang... was busy building a fort (and playing Halo4/catching up on Walking Dead) all weekend! I would gladly still like to get in on Scene 2, if I can!

Unless we are already moving on, which I am also fine with!

Adlan
2012-11-12, 11:53 AM
Sorry gang... was busy building a fort (and playing Halo4/catching up on Walking Dead) all weekend! I would gladly still like to get in on Scene 2, if I can!

Unless we are already moving on, which I am also fine with!

We are moving on, but feel free to get in on Scene 2.

Well Done Voltaire, That's a Hard success and a keen use of the situation.

Erasmas
2012-11-12, 04:08 PM
Awesome... I will work up a post!

I have to say, well done playing Jack, Aneurin. I know it isn't supposed to be him, but I swear I hear Mal's voice every time I am reading your posts.

Sunfall
2012-11-12, 04:54 PM
Just a heads up: I'm here, but I think Grace wouldn't be on the bridge for that scene. Just so I can later say something like: "Heard we got ourselves a job" :smallbiggrin:

And just to be clear: I understood it the way that the precious thing in the ice wasn't necessarily the water itself but stuff dissolved in it, like chemicals and such... Did I misread?

Narmoth
2012-11-12, 05:28 PM
Same for Adrian. He's still just a passenger

Aneurin
2012-11-12, 05:58 PM
I'd have thought the water would be the valuable thing; in Firefly, most of the worlds seen are quite barren and dry. Perhaps due to limited hydrogen in the proto-atmospheres, the terraforming couldn't produce sufficient water - making water a valuable commodity on the Rim.


@Erasmus - I have flashes of that - usually when I do, I try and rewrite the post to avoid them. Jack isn't supposed to be all that much like Mal - he won't react the same to various things, I guarantee.

Adlan
2012-11-12, 06:00 PM
Just a heads up: I'm here, but I think Grace wouldn't be on the bridge for that scene. Just so I can later say something like: "Heard we got ourselves a job" :smallbiggrin:

And just to be clear: I understood it the way that the precious thing in the ice wasn't necessarily the water itself but stuff dissolved in it, like chemicals and such... Did I misread?

No worries if you think it best not to be on the Bridge, soon there will be involvement.

I suggest if you want to know why the money on this run is good, you look up Regina on the Cortex and find out more. You are transporting the Ice, I didn't specify what of it was going to be used, and your characters don't know truth to tell.

Space Lawyer
2012-11-12, 06:00 PM
And just to be clear: I understood it the way that the precious thing in the ice wasn't necessarily the water itself but stuff dissolved in it, like chemicals and such... Did I misread?

It very well may be, but Lei is taking it that the water is the most valuable thing. As far as she's concerned, the most valuable things always be whatever makes a ship function, water being one of the major ones.

Aneurin
2012-11-12, 06:10 PM
By the by, how much freedom do we have on picking out a history for the Alpha Panda? How she was paid for, why, and so forth?

I'm thinking that the original debt was to a much smaller crime lord, who then sold/lost the debt to Badger. If only because Jack wants to shoot Badger quite badly.

Don't know if you have anything in mind or not, Adlan, as the ship is essentially an NPC - so I'd rather not step on toes. Or, for that matter, if anyone else had any ideas.

Sunfall
2012-11-12, 07:04 PM
It very well may be, but Lei is taking it that the water is the most valuable thing. As far as she's concerned, the most valuable things always be whatever makes a ship function, water being one of the major ones.

No sweat, I never assumed it was otherwise :smallwink: Just wanted to see if I understood right or not. But, turns out we wouldn't know anyway :smallsmile:

Adlan
2012-11-12, 07:40 PM
By the by, how much freedom do we have on picking out a history for the Alpha Panda? How she was paid for, why, and so forth?

I'm thinking that the original debt was to a much smaller crime lord, who then sold/lost the debt to Badger. If only because Jack wants to shoot Badger quite badly.

Don't know if you have anything in mind or not, Adlan, as the ship is essentially an NPC - so I'd rather not step on toes. Or, for that matter, if anyone else had any ideas.

Yeah, that's fine. Badger is also your major underworld contact on persephone, so I wouldn't piss on him too much.

I was always rather fond of Badger, any one get any meaning when I say Burt and Harry? If not, you should check out :Badgers World (http://signal.serenityfirefly.com/mmx/series/view.php/82) from the signal podcast (for a bonus, you can even find a much younger me in their back catalog). I thought it would fit well for him to be your mortgage holder. Maybe one day we'll explore why you guys dislike him so much.

If you have plans, sketch them out OC, as nothing is cannon till it's in the IC.

Shadow_Elf
2012-11-12, 07:52 PM
The actor that plays him is really good at playing friendly, backstabbing British antagonists. He plays Stirling in the TV Show Leverage, one of my favourite TV shows. As Greg hasn't been on the crew long, he hasn't necessarily got the same issues with him as the rest of the crew do.

As for why the crew dislike him so, it could just be because he's a dishonest bloke making money off of others' hardships. Rubs a crew of honourable types like ourselves the wrong way, as it were.

Adlan
2012-11-13, 08:26 AM
The actor that plays him is really good at playing friendly, backstabbing British antagonists. He plays Stirling in the TV Show Leverage, one of my favourite TV shows. As Greg hasn't been on the crew long, he hasn't necessarily got the same issues with him as the rest of the crew do.

As for why the crew dislike him so, it could just be because he's a dishonest bloke making money off of others' hardships. Rubs a crew of honourable types like ourselves the wrong way, as it were.

Just so long as we're honourable, not honest. I was Aiming for the Crew to Misbehave, at least a little.

Shadow_Elf
2012-11-13, 11:17 AM
Even misbehavin' rogues can have standards. Perhaps Badger just doesn't live up to those standards.

Lentrax
2012-11-13, 11:23 AM
Well, can we at least be honestly honourable?

Aneurin
2012-11-13, 11:27 AM
Jack'll hold on his temper; Badger's a bit big to take down just by shooting him. Besides, he's pretty happy to spit in the Alliance's eye given the chance, and working with Badger tends to do just that.


The dislike of Badger (well, Jack's dislike - I quite like him) is that he's a thieving criminal scumbag. Also, as a point of interest, he's the mortgage holder - which explains the hate an awful lot more. Jack has a dislike of being manipulated; and Badger is quite transparantly holding the debt over his head to get him to take the job.


As for the history of Alpha Panda... that was kind of it for specific plans. Jack spent a fortune, and borrowed more money to the the Panda up and running after Sturges; then the guy he borrowed money from transferred the debt to Badger for whatever reason. Anything else could come up as it becomes interesting or relevant.

Erasmas
2012-11-13, 03:38 PM
Cole just dislikes people who abuse power (much like he feels the Alliance does). And I would even venture a guess that his parents' farm back on Athens was probably owned by someone else besides his family.

So, and that plus Badger being a slimy snake... really ruffles Cole's feathers somethin' fierce.

Adlan
2012-11-13, 04:23 PM
I'm happy enough with dislike, it's probably a very good caution, well founded. :smallwink:

Just so long as we're willing to take the job, I'm open to going sandbox eventually, but for now, think of it less as a plot railroad and more as a runaway plot cart, through an ice mine of western cliches.

Aneurin
2012-11-13, 05:00 PM
...does this mean we get to ride through a mine in hover carts, finding ways to jump over giant, inexplicable gaps in the tracks?

Erasmas
2012-11-13, 06:54 PM
Well, Cole is smart enough to know where his protein comes from and how the Panda stays in the sky. He ain't gonna be the one to bite the hand that feeds him... at least not yet. Besides, with how Scene 2 seems to be possibly building... the trust that Cole has in Jack is "growing deeper roots" (as Grace might put it).


...does this mean we get to ride through a mine in hover carts, finding ways to jump over giant, inexplicable gaps in the tracks?

Oh man... I kinda hope so.

Adlan
2012-11-13, 07:06 PM
...does this mean we get to ride through a mine in hover carts, finding ways to jump over giant, inexplicable gaps in the tracks?

Be careful what you wish for...

No pilot rolls needed for normal actions till you come out of pulse drive nearer the comet.

Shadow_Elf
2012-11-13, 07:12 PM
Also, as Greg is a notoriously bad shot with firearms, he uses a powered crossbow instead of a gun, with which his aim is markedly better. He has a Green Arrow-esque set of utility bolts, but most of what he carries are blunted bolts, because of his Credo: Don't Kill. He also has his gloves, if they get in close, and a handful of utility grenades.

Long story short: people don't have to be paranoid about being accidentally shot :smalltongue:. He attacks at 2d6 with most of the weapons he carries.

Erasmas
2012-11-13, 09:01 PM
As for video to use next time for Cole...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGDKKRryH6U&feature=youtube_gdata_player
+ :51-:59
+ 1:12-1:14
+ 1:21-1:23
+ 1:48-1:51

Or this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHsltTImRFM&feature=youtube_gdata_player
+ 2:47-2:53

Adlan
2012-11-15, 05:34 AM
Okay, are we ready to pulse drive off to the comet?

Lentrax
2012-11-15, 05:37 AM
Yeah. I think mentioning pink drinks with frilly umbrellas is a real good spot for a scene change.

Shadow_Elf
2012-11-15, 08:52 AM
Yep. Ready to skip forward.

Erasmas
2012-11-15, 11:22 AM
We're already ready already!
:smallbiggrin:

Aneurin
2012-11-15, 01:58 PM
All ready here.

Adlan
2012-11-15, 03:04 PM
Moved Forward!

5 Minutes of time have elapsed, you are "10" minutes away from the ship. How well you all do on your various rolls will affect how quickly you manage to get to the mine and dock. There Standard local Cortex Info you start picking up as soon as you arrive tells you where and how to dock at the mine with the correct claim ID. They have two empty berths but no other spaceport facilities*

*The Blue Sun Travel Guide does list it as "providing fuel on occasion", which usually means untaxed and raw from the mine.

Lei, I'll require 3 Ships Agility + Piloting skill rolls. Everyone (including Lei) gets to think of 2 actions they want to accomplish to help speed the ship on their way, though I think that's mainly down to Lei and TAG. You can also use your actions to prep for when you do dock.

Lentrax
2012-11-15, 03:24 PM
And this is why I chose the doctor route... I have no idea when it comes to engineering.

Aneurin
2012-11-15, 04:04 PM
Jack's going to act as co-pilot; Alpha's not a gunship, obviously, but is it a Mid-Bulk?

Erasmas
2012-11-15, 04:07 PM
Yeah... Cole understands that it's probably best if he just stays out of the way. Unless someone tells him to "hold this" or "pick that up", he doesn't prove all too useful in this situation.

Shadow_Elf
2012-11-15, 04:17 PM
By the way, does the Alpha Panda have a First Mate? I was thinking it would probably be Cole, if anyone.

As for Greg, he doesn't have formal training in many ship-board tasks, but he's a good organizer and knowledgeable in general, so I've been playing him as sort of an organizing force on the ship, checking in on people and relaying commands and messages via the comm. Not sure how useful that is, but it's the best idea I could come up with for a ship-side role.

Adlan
2012-11-15, 04:25 PM
Jack's going to act as co-pilot; Alpha's not a gunship, obviously, but is it a Mid-Bulk?

Yep, she's a Mid Bulk.

Space Lawyer
2012-11-15, 06:39 PM
I really should have checked in here before IC posting. Anyway here are those rolls. I'm applying the bonus from "Born Behind the Wheel" to the ship's agility. As written, it says to apply the bonus my agility, but that makes no sense. That wouldn't help fly the ship any better.

Alpha Panda's agility + Pilot (mid-bulk)

[roll0]+[roll1]+[roll2]
[roll3]+[roll4]+[roll5]
[roll6]+[roll7]+[roll8]

Space Lawyer
2012-11-15, 06:40 PM
Those first ones should have been d12s. Rerolling those
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Adlan
2012-11-15, 07:05 PM
As jack is co-piloiting while you focus on messing up the other ship (genius idea btw, very novel), your first roll is ignored and he has to roll ships agility + his best piloting roll. yeah, ships agility makes sense, your Agility roll as the player.

TAP - There is a Hard Engineering issue due to the required manoeuvring. Roll your dice OC, and either use the firefly technobabble generator or run with it. Difficulty 11. If you want, I can generate your technobabble, but I wouldn't want to take that opportunity from you.

Aneurin
2012-11-15, 07:55 PM
'kay - here are the rolls.

Also applying Born Behind The Wheel :smalltongue:

[roll0]+[roll1]+[roll2]
[roll3]+[roll4]+[roll5]
[roll6]+[roll7]+[roll8]

Jack's other action, after we're clear of the dangerous approach, will be to put on his Ballistics Mesh and arm up.

EDIT: If it's at all relevant, Jack's installed a SubKelvin security decryption device on Alpha Panda.

Erasmas
2012-11-16, 12:09 PM
Lentrax: Awesome stuff... it is so great to meet players that truly understand RPing and to get the chance to "feel out" a relationship like Cole's and Sia's. I am having a blast! Thank you.

Lentrax
2012-11-17, 03:21 AM
I am too. It's interesting for me to actually sit down and be able to think of how Sia would react to what is going on. And adding in the random triggers to see what happens is a lot of fun too.

But on the flip side, if anyone else thinks I am going too far, let me know, ok?

Adlan
2012-11-17, 04:41 PM
RE: On Board Romances: Just so long as it dosn't break forum rules and isn't the romantic equivalent of IKEA Erotica. Which I trust you guys not to do, shaping up well so far.

@cgrela
You're successful in your attempt to disrupt the foe! I will include the effect in the complex action you have to complete IC Post.

Anyone seen or heard from Unkabear recently? Just waiting on TAP to solve the engineering fault. If not, we might be looking for a replacement engineer.



*Crusty old Spacehand voice*
"Arrrr... some say that ships get cursed positions... it could be purser, captain, doctor, pilot or engineer... Aye, I even heard about a passenger line that cursed every 666th customer.... *Hawk - Spoight* ... ship I once sail on had 8 pilots in a year.

Adlan
2012-11-18, 02:45 PM
That makes two for Lei, her first was the interdiction of the other ships com.


I'm thinking basically intership DoS attack. You black off every nav aid but visual from their use.

Space Lawyer
2012-11-18, 02:46 PM
I'm spending 3 out of 7 plot points to add a total of 3 to that roll.

Shadow_Elf
2012-11-18, 02:49 PM
I know that Greg got a plot point for a conversation with the Captain last episode, but did he start with any plot points? I don't have consistent access to the rulebooks to check myself, but I seem to recall that characters start with something like 5 plot points?

Space Lawyer
2012-11-18, 02:55 PM
p. 145: "Every player starts a new campaign with 6 plot points."